Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem giving a non driver a lift to work

Options
  • 20-07-2018 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

Hi i have been giveing a guy a lift to work for the last 6 months. When i agreed to this i was promised by him that he would get his own car in that time and it hasnt happened. I now believe he has no intention of getting one. I have gotten a new car in that time and the mileage is clocking up as its 108 k round trip.
    I have to keep asking him for fuel money aswell. You would swear i was robbing him. He only pays half the fuel. When i agreed to give him a lift he suffered a bad bereavement and i felft a bit sorry for him. I would have charged him all the fuel otherwise.
    In the last 6 weeks another guy car shares with me. The freeloader tags along and hasnt paid him any fuel or me since the end of may.
    Anyone any sugesstions on what i should do ? He is really friendly with the other guy. I honestly feel like just telling him to **** off and good luck but that could be my carsharing out the window. I really hate freeloaders have they no shame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I'm assuming you all work in the same place (or pretty close by?)

take a few days off....or a couple of sick days.. see how they manage to get to work.

Or start leaving at different times/ have something to do before/ after work which means you cant give them a lift.

In fairness the comment on the mileage of your car is irrelevant. you are going to do that mileage anyway going to work. But the other guy should give you half the petrol money. you need to drive there too...so you are using half the petrol as well.

how come you are now giving the second person a lift if you object to the first guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Just be assertive and say that from now on, you want a third of the petrol money from each or you're not driving them anymore.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

troyzer wrote: »
    Just be assertive and say that from now on, you want a third of the petrol money from each or you're not driving them anymore.

Simple.

This.

You just need to tell him directly, in a nice way, that this can't go on and since you're all sharing the car, you should be sharing the cost of the drive as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

but that could be my carsharing out the window.

I'm confused do you want to car share at all or not, or is it just the not being paid that annoys you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

In my previous job i used to get a lift to work with a girl - i got a bus to her house and met her there, she drove us to work, going home in the eve she would drop me back at her house and i would bus it home from there. We agreed to go 50/50 on petrol & Tolls

• Advertisement

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I'm confused do you want to car share at all or not, or is it just the not being paid that annoys you.

The point of car sharing is that you reduce your travel costs. Of course he's annoyed that's he's not being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The point of car sharing is that you reduce your travel costs. Of course he's annoyed that's he's not being paid.

In fairness, the poster is just looking for clarification.

If he doesn't want to car share at all then the comments about getting additional money are irrelevant.

troyzer wrote: »

Simple.

Actually, ask each for HALF. Or they can take a bus

noodler wrote: »
    In fairness, the poster is just looking for clarification.

If he doesn't want to car share at all then the comments about getting additional money are irrelevant.

I don't know. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but to me it's obvious that it's about the money - OP mentioned that they're giving a lift to someone else who pays, they also said that "carsharing could be out of the window", so they seem to like it or at least don't want to lose it.

Or am I reading between the lines too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 59,622 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Personally, I'd suggest asking for a little more than one-third of the weekly petrol costs from each passenger- otherwise, their share of the costs of wear & tear/ tax/ insurance/ vehicle depreciation aren't being covered in any way by their contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Disable the electric windows and start doing crazy farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I don't know. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but to me it's obvious that it's about the money

In OP they said When i agreed to this i was promised by him that he would get his own car in that time and it hasnt happened which implies they were happy to do it initially as they thought it would be a temporary thing.

So first they need to decide do they want to car share at all. If so the lack of payment is obviously an issue that needs to be dealt with, but if not just say they can't car share anymore.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    In OP they said When i agreed to this i was promised by him that he would get his own car in that time and it hasnt happened which implies they were happy to do it initially as they thought it would be a temporary thing.

So first they need to decide do they want to car share at all. If so the lack of payment is obviously an issue that needs to be dealt with, but if not just say they can't car share anymore.

OP also said this:
    I honestly feel like just telling him to **** off and good luck but that could be my carsharing out the window.

This line leads me to believe that they don't want to lose the car share. But let's just wait for OP to get back to us and clarify, no point arguing here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

They don't want to lose the car share with the second person who is friendly with the non-driver. The OP was clear enough I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Personally, I'd suggest asking for a little more than one-third of the weekly petrol costs from each passenger- otherwise, their share of the costs of wear & tear/ tax/ insurance/ vehicle depreciation aren't being covered in any way by their contributions.

If you read the op he initially wanted to charge all the fuel costs.

They don't want to lose the car share with the second person who is friendly with the non-driver. The OP was clear enough I thought.

No he wasn’t. That guy didn’t pay anything at all.
    He wants rid of him.

I wonder if there’s a company benefit to car sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

It's so annoying when this stuff happens, I know exactly how you feel OP.

Some people will constantly take and when you question them on it they make you feel ****e or that you're a bad person for even thinking about it. I know if it was the other way round and I needed help or a favour I'd be covering expenses plus extra.

So fed up of free loaders..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Take a weeks holiday, see how yer man gets to work then.

I’m still not getting why the first guy who pays half the fuel is freeloading. The other guy shouldn’t have just tagged along but the op could have stopped that.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Just find it ironic that the OP is called Con Man.. :) tables turned lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Easy, just say you need €x per week for carrying them.
    Are there any insurance implications if you're charging for giving people lifts?

I’m still not getting why the first guy who pays half the fuel is freeloading. The other guy shouldn’t have just tagged along but the op could have stopped that.

The second guy drives half the time, or am I misunderstanding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I think the OP said he hasn't paid anything since May. Only the new guy is paying.

It's difficult sometimes to say anything, the majority of people don't like confrontations. If he's anything like me, the rage will build up, there'll be an outburst in a month's time and the freeloader will get the message :)

No you are right. I thought the freeloader was the new car share guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

beertons wrote: »
    Take a weeks holiday, see how yer man gets to work then.

No need for wasting annual leave.just tell Johnny no car you want x amount a week to cover his share of the cars running costs to make things square and you want it in a timely and appreciative manner or else Rev up and fcuk away off and thumb to work.not your problem then.take the bulleen by the horns and no beating around the bush

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

just say no !

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

Used to car share with a girl I worked with, she never gave me a penny for petrol for months and when I confronted her about it we got into a massive argument with her point being I was driving to work anyway and buying petrol so what was the big deal, she has since left the company and I haven't really spoke to her since. Just be careful how you approach it, if the guy is a decent person then he should have no problem paying his share of fuel costs

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The impression I get is that there now two drivers who share the driving duties and a non-driver who tags along. It's fine for the drivers; they're sharing the driving duties so fuel costs balance out in the end.

But the 3rd guy is getting a free ride.

I'd basically go to the other driver and ask what he thinks about mr tagalong. If he's happy to drive him without payment, then the OP can make it more complicated by asking for the fuel costs on the days that he drives. Or he could abandon it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Used to car share with a girl I worked with, she never gave me a penny for petrol for months and when I confronted her about it we got into a massive argument with her point being I was driving to work anyway and buying petrol so what was the big deal, she has since left the company and I haven't really spoke to her since. Just be careful how you approach it, if the guy is a decent person then he should have no problem paying his share of fuel costs

You had right to tell her it costs a fortune to haul her fat frame around in a car and it would be cheaper pull a cowbox after you with 2 good weanlings in it.ha that would quieten her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

That's how I read it also.

Advertisement