Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem giving a non driver a lift to work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My reading of the OP is this:

OP and the freeloader started the car share with the understanding that the freeloader would buy a car and start doing 50% of the driving. This hasn't happened and the OP has to hound him to pay for his share of the fuel.

Now a 2nd driver has joined the car share so the OP and 2nd driver split the driving 50/50 but the freeloader is not contributing towards the driving or the fuel costs.

The OP wants to continue the car share with the 2nd driver but not the freeloader but 2nd driver is good friends with freeloader.

OP you are going to have to be direct and risk loosing the car share I'm afraid. The best solution is to be blunt and just see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Hi i have been giveing a guy a lift to work for the last 6 months. When i agreed to this i was promised by him that he would get his own car in that time and it hasnt happened. I now believe he has no intention of getting one. I have gotten a new car in that time and the mileage is clocking up as its 108 k round trip.
    I have to keep asking him for fuel money aswell. You would swear i was robbing him. He only pays half the fuel. When i agreed to give him a lift he suffered a bad bereavement and i felft a bit sorry for him. I would have charged him all the fuel otherwise.
    In the last 6 weeks another guy car shares with me. The freeloader tags along and hasnt paid him any fuel or me since the end of may.
    Anyone any sugesstions on what i should do ? He is really friendly with the other guy. I honestly feel like just telling him to **** off and good luck but that could be my carsharing out the window. I really hate freeloaders have they no shame.

Freeloaders can be a nuisance,but be careful if you are insisting on him paying his share for fuel,as it may invalidate the terms of your insurance.Check "Limitations as to use" on your policy and "This policy does not cover".Does it say "this policy does not cover use for hire or reward ?.I am not sure,but would charging him for fuel be a reward ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭passatman86

If hints of petrol money aint working then stop the lifts - tell them your routine has changed you have a swim each time before work or you go gym each time before work..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

daheff wrote: »
    I'm assuming you all work in the same place (or pretty close by?)

take a few days off....or a couple of sick days.. see how they manage to get to work.

Or start leaving at different times/ have something to do before/ after work which means you cant give them a lift.

In fairness the comment on the mileage of your car is irrelevant. you are going to do that mileage anyway going to work. But the other guy should give you half the petrol money. you need to drive there too...so you are using half the petrol as well.

how come you are now giving the second person a lift if you object to the first guy?

I wouldnt have givein him a lift if he hadnt lied to me about getting a car at the beginning or else i would have charged him thr full diesel. It would lower my mileage if he had one and also wear and tare on my car.
    The second guy has a car. We car share but this is only a recent thing.
    The freeloader isnt giveing him money either.
    I am useing the petrol aswell but im also paying tax insurance nct. Car serviceing. My tryes are 800 euro for a new set.
    whst kind of person applies for a job over 50k from where they live with no public transport there.
    Some people have some neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I wouldnt have givein him a lift if he hadnt lied to me about getting a car at the beginning or else i would have charged him thr full diesel.

It's understandable you're annoyed since you thought you'd be car-sharing with this guy before long and thus lowering the cost of your commute but as other posters have said you need to be careful re charging for more than half the fuel.

Thoughts: 1 Does your workmate drive and has he a full licence?

2. Before you started giving this guy a lift you were drving over 50 km to work and carrying all the expense so was it always your intention to find a car-share?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Get the splitwise app. Every time you do anything on the car you can add the receipt and the % he owes and it will add up what he owes you and you can send him balance reminders whenever you want.

I'd be going further than that, there are so many hidden costs to driving someone. You're taking the insurance risk everyday, you probably waste time picking up and dropping off, that is making your journey longer in terms of both petrol and time which also has value. You don't get to be alone and listen to what you want as loud as you want, you don't have full control over the windows temperature.

If I was giving someone a lift each way 5 days a week, they would be paying for half of my petrol everytime I fill up including for any driving I do without them or else I wouldn't be bothered.

Forget to pick them up, go to work, act normal don't say anything to anyone until they ask and then act out the realisation. Phone was on silent so you didn't notice the missed calls. If they have a problem with it "it's easy to forget, you seem to do it often enough with paying me"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

To all the people going along the had the cost of traveling anyway route. Can I live in your spare room rent free? Sure you were living there anyway weren't you?

Someone taking up space in my car owes me car rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Yes the OP was travelling to work anyway but if the other guy had to buy and run a car it would cost him a lot. He is saving a lot of money by travelling with someone else. He should be delighted to only pay diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Pull into a station on the way home fill up and then ask him for his half.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

These threads never cease to amaze me- some very decent, kind people out there but unfortunately an equal number of opposite lazy freeloaders taking them for a free ride (pun intended).
    FFS just lay it on the line- pay up or walk.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt have givein him a lift if he hadnt lied to me about getting a car at the beginning or else i would have charged him thr full diesel. It would lower my mileage if he had one and also wear and tare on my car.
    The second guy has a car. We car share but this is only a recent thing.
    The freeloader isnt giveing him money either.
    I am useing the petrol aswell but im also paying tax insurance nct. Car serviceing. My tryes are 800 euro for a new set.
    whst kind of person applies for a job over 50k from where they live with no public transport there.
    Some people have some neck.

But it's your car and you and only you decide who hops in and out. I'd imagine he never intended to get a car- these leeches have a honing instinct for easy, good natured targets. Anyhow none of this is your problem- you have to get yourself to work not anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd move jobs. Because telling everyone you don't want to give them lifts will be awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

There are bigger costs other than already mentioned with these type of people

OP, I'd tell them off altogether and claim back my car for myself if I was you

If God forbid there's an accident, they'd be the first ones to get the solicitor to put in personal injury claims and all of a sudden your in a world of headaches and insurance costs , liability etc

And you'll be forever rode for it

I'd tell them to jog on , forget sharing or splitting costs etc.

listermint wrote: »
    I'd move jobs. Because telling everyone you don't want to give them lifts will be awkward

Seriously, you'd move jobs for something as trivial as lifts? The OP never said they didn't want to give lifts- the issue is not being paid a fair share of the costs. Cars don't run on fresh air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

One evening after work when they get into the car, lock the doors and drive 50 km in the opposite direction to home.

Tell them to get out

Drive off home

They won't come looking for a lift again

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I had the very same issue a few years ago, and here is what I did -

Set a date in your head, this is the day this ends (eg, we'll say 1st of August ). Next Monday You have both of them in the car, perfect! So you tell them both;

"Right lads, letting ye know, from 1st August I'll be travelling alone, so ye may make other arrangements". They might ask for a reason, "family stuff/kids/My sister... Look I don't want to talk about it, but from 1st August I won't (not can't - WON'T) be carrying ye anymore."

Do not apologise, do not go into details, just straight and cold. And be clear, no waffle.

There will be a very short lived awkwardness. That's all. I've been that soldier op, I'm a fcukin veteran.

Best of luck - you CAN do this. Relish the peace and quiet ME time your commute will become. You won't know yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Talk to the other driver that you car share with and come to a decision about the amount to charge the fella with no car
    Pay up Monday morning before you leave and if no money is coming forward then leave him at home

+1 to this.

road_high wrote: »
    Seriously, you'd move jobs for something as trivial as lifts? The OP never said they didn't want to give lifts- the issue is not being paid a fair share of the costs. Cars don't run on fresh air.

Yes I'd move job.... Joke.

I'd actually just buy a motorcycle and be done with them.
    Simple solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If I had to carry colleagues every day, I'd come to bitterly resent it. I don't mind giving colleagues a lift if they're stuck and have done so in the past. Having to keep to their timetable is another matter entirely. Sometimes I don't go straight home after work or I've got other plans. If I had to bring these tulips home every single feckin' day I'd hate it. Let them go and buy their own cars if they can't get to work.

Apart from a post by Koppaberg Strawberry and Lime and myself no one else seems to think there could be an insurance issue here.

• Advertisement

It doesn't seem to be clear what the insurance position is. Especially if you start accepting money for fuel.

If I had to carry colleagues every day, I'd come to bitterly resent it. I don't mind giving colleagues a lift if they're stuck and have done so in the past. Having to keep to their timetable is another matter entirely. Sometimes I don't go straight home after work or I've got other plans. If I had to bring these tulips home every single feckin' day I'd hate it. Let them go and buy their own cars if they can't get to work.

Yea I couldn't stand that either- waiting for people, having your schedule dictated by others, making stupid small talk twice a day and talking about work when you want to switch off from it. Some days I like to play utter rubbish music on loop which you couldn't do with others.

Apart from a post by Koppaberg Strawberry and Lime and myself no one else seems to think there could be an insurance issue here.

No I don't. Otherwise you couldn't bring friends anywhere and ask them for a dig out on the petrol.

People get awful analytical sometimes. Completely unnecessary

It doesn't seem to be clear what the insurance position is. Especially if you start accepting money for fuel.

Surely we are still allowed carry passengers these days? So long as it's not an unofficial taxi service?

Looks like the OP has become one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Carrying an extra person in your car would increase your fuel consumption as well so you are incurring a cost there. It might be very little day to day but it'd add up.

Make a point of stopping on the way home for fuel.

Not sure of your relationship status etc but could you invent a girlfriend/boyfriend who lives 20km in the other direction. You'll be staying with them a few nights a week so he'll have to sort out his own way to work. That's fairly elaborate tho. Might be easier to just ask for a few euro towards the fuel coz it's only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

listermint wrote: »
    No I don't. Otherwise you couldn't bring friends anywhere and ask them for a dig out on the petrol.

People get awful analytical sometimes. Completely unnecessary

I'm not arguing if he is covered by insurance because he accepted a donation towards fuel

He is covered to do such and give people a lift to work no issue there insurance wise

My arguement is the type of people he is carrying, being the freeloading arseholes they are, would be the first to put in an injury claim in the event of an accident making life difficult for the OP.

Other than that I agree with the people for getting 1/3 costs of the other 2

But if it were me personally , I hate the thoughts of being screwed over in a case like this and would tell the two to get their walking shoes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

My arguement is the type of people he is carrying, being the freeloading arseholes they are, would be the first to put in an injury claim in the event of an accident making life difficult for the OP.

Other than that I agree with the people for getting 1/3 costs of the other 2

But if it were me personally , I hate the thoughts of being screwed over in a case like this and would tell the two to get their walking shoes on

One of the two is also a driver, I think, so the drivers do take turns but the third guy is freeloading off both.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Be up front.
    If you don’t want to do this any more tell the guys that you’d like to end the arrangement and give them a month to sort alternative arrangements.

If it’s about money, set a fee and ask them for it, no negotiation just pay or done get the lift. Personally I’d be asking them for half petrol each, your providing the car after all

Be nice but firm.

Remember these are work colleagues you don’t need to worry about being friends with them, that’s totally optional

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Surely we are still allowed carry passengers these days? So long as it's not an unofficial taxi service?

Of course we are allowed to carry passengers,but if they are paying passengers in a privately insured car and the driver is unfortunate enough to have an accident,then there could be a problem under the "limitations as to use" of the vehicle if the passengers submit a claim.I have comprehensive cover on my car and it clearly states under that heading,"this policy does not cover use for hire or reward.That wording I think and I am open to correction,could cause a problem for the insured in the event of a claim by a paying passenger

Advertisement