Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem giving a non driver a lift to work

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The trouble could potentially start if the petrol money is deemed to be profit and not just people paying their fair share. In the UK (don't know about Ireland) there are some car insurance policies which specifically don't allow car sharing. It looks like car sharing is fine as long as you don't look for money that's more than what the petrol/diesel costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

man up op.tell them what you need/want and if they dont like it tell them to get the **** out.
    you will stress yourself out no end thinking about it.i promise you it will be the first thing on your mind when you wake and the last thing on your mind before you go to sleep.
    deal with it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The trouble could potentially start if the petrol money is deemed to be profit and not just people paying their fair share. In the UK (don't know about Ireland) there are some car insurance policies which specifically don't allow car sharing. It looks like car sharing is fine as long as you don't look for money that's more than what the petrol/diesel costs.

Then there’s tax, insurance, maintenance, depreciation, purchase cost.

It would be a long time before OP was in a profit basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I had the same issue. A work collegue started travelling with me "until she got herself a car". I then thought that she decided not to bother buying a car as travelling with me was free. She never offered to pay anything for fuel.

I was annoyed by the lack of any thought on her part to offset some of the fuel cost. I actually was more put out by the change it made to the experience of driving to and from work. I could not start or finish early or late without informing her. Taking a call on the hands free now meant someone listening in. Stopping to buy something or visit someone on the way home was no longer easy.

After about eight weeks I took the bull by the horns and told her it didn't suit me to have a passenger and gave her two weeks to sort herself out. Turns out she had a car all along but had decided to freeload, she actually admitted it.

The relief to have the car to myself again was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Of course we are allowed to carry passengers,but if they are paying passengers in a privately insured car and the driver is unfortunate enough to have an accident,then there could be a problem under the "limitations as to use" of the vehicle if the passengers submit a claim.I have comprehensive cover on my car and it clearly states under that heading,"this policy does not cover use for hire or reward.That wording I think and I am open to correction,could cause a problem for the insured in the event of a claim by a paying passenger

For hire would imply the OP wasn't going to make the trip except for the passenger. For reward implies the OP was making a profit on the journey. How could driving 50km for half the diesel cost be considered a reward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

OP, what do you mean, "he only pays half the fuel"? Did you expect the freeloader to pay for all the fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jesus, the misinformation people peddle about car insurance is astounding.

No, there's no grey area in your insurance about car sharing and having people pay a share of the fuel costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

I'd tell the freeloader that I'll be changing job soon. I need a change etc. So you better get a car or alternative transport sorted ASAP. Be direct.... You have a month before I'm gone. If he has no other lift then he'll have to get a car immediately or risk having no transport to work.

Otherwise tell him you've taken up gym membership. Going before work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

All the people saying make up a gym or new girlfriend , this will more than double his commuting costs !

You need to get access to other car owner and agree what you think is fair for gombeen to pay .
    I would charge 60% of your petrol costs each month for all your needs including personal .
    That would be about fair and certainly cheaper for our friend than running a car

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

All the people saying make up a gym or new girlfriend , this will more than double his commuting costs !

How can something made up double his commuting cost?

The idea is to get rid of the freeloader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, you know he'll have to drive past the office a couple of time with a dummy in the passenger seat wearing a blonde wig. And he'll have to drive to the gym 3 times a week, park his car outside and go for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I hope op has said something by now and has resolved it. Loads of helpful advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No made up lies about the gym etc- tell them straight, absolutely none of their business how you chose to get yourself to work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Currently by participating in the car share he drives every second week .
    The other car share person is a friend of the free loader.
    by saying he can no longer car share he has to drive every week , hence doubling his costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

If God forbid there's an accident, they'd be the first ones to get the solicitor to put in personal injury claims and all of a sudden your in a world of headaches and insurance costs , liability etc

There's a saying here in clare ... eaten bread is soon forgotten!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Just say that you want to do your accounts for the year ahead.
    Ask when would freeloader be getting a car, and will we be splitting the carshare 3 ways?
    I would like to start accounting for that now, if that's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sell your car or move to Somerset, don't complicate things.

Advertisement