Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage leave

Options
  • 20-07-2018 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I work for a medium sized company, Irish owned, which was also awarded a great places to work certificate.

Recently, I asked about marriage leave as I understand that the industry norm is 5 days marriage leave. I found out that this was not a benefit that was going to be offered to employees, and that unpaid leave may be looked upon unfavourably.

Has anyone been in this situation before ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Ventilatte wrote: »
    Hi all,

I work for a small- medium sized company, it’s Irish owned and operated and was also awarded a great places to work certificate.

Recently, as part of the survey, I asked about marriage leave as I understand that the industry norm is 5 days marriage leave. I found out that this was not a benefit that was going to be offered to employees, and that unpaid leave may be looked upon unfavourably.

Has anyone been in this situation before ?

Thanks !

While is might be the "Industry Norm", there is no statutory entitlement to "marriage leave".

Were you planning to use unpaid leave to replace it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I asked about marriage leave as I understand that the industry norm is 5 days marriage leave.
    That is literally nothing I have ever heard of in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Back in the mists of time some large companies gave an extra weeks holiday to you the year you got married. From memory (I am retired a good while now!) it was a gesture from the company to mark the occasion of your wedding.

I doubt very much with the way things have changed on the work scene that many are doing this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I work for a large multinational who don’t do it, when I did get married I was working for a really small company and just told the boss I was taking an extra week and he didn’t mind (paid). My wife is a manager in a crèche and have nothing official but she gives girls getting married an extra week. I don’t think I’ve ever really heard of it as an official entitlement but I’m sure plenty do have it one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

That is literally nothing I have ever heard of in my life.

They give 5 additional days in my job when you're getting married although nobody told me at the time so I missed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

Some companies with shift work allow you to book marriage leave, however its just you are guaranteed those days off. you do not get extra leave allowances. Just means you are prioritised in the leave allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ventilatte

While is might be the "Industry Norm", there is no statutory entitlement to "marriage leave".

Were you planning to use unpaid leave to replace it?

Hi Gerard,
    Yes, I had asked if there was an option to take 5 days unpaid leave. I was advised that this would not be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Ha never heard of this before. I worked up my days and any additional I took was unpaid leave. Very generous offering 5 days marriage leave when up until recently many companies were only offering 3 days paternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Most people just save up holiday for it I thought? People on my team have carried over 5 days from the year before and then taken a month off for wedding/honeymoon...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

Civil servants get up to five days marriage leave once the overall total of annual leave and marriage leave does not exceed 27 days. All civil servants used to get the full five days regardless of annual leave allowance but this was changed a few years ago. Also teachers get the full five days as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

When I got married the company I worked for offered 5 extra unpaid days at the company’s discretion and depending on how busy they were, this time off was never a guarantee.
    Thy did let us carry over holidays from previous year so in reality we could have a month off a week of that unpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

My old company used to offer 2 days marriage leave and 1 day if you were moving house (could only claim that once every 2 years), current company don't offer either of those and I wouldn't have expected it. My friend is getting married in a month and just saved all her annual leave for this year, carried some (with permission) from last year and is taking unpaid as well to cover the wedding and honeymoon.

OP it may be "industry norm" but that doesn't mean that it's required or should be expected. It would be a perk and each company is entitled to determine what perks its employees get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

I got 3 days marriage leave but a lot of my friends were surprised at this as they have no such benefit in place in their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭shane b

It's completely up to the company in question. I worked for enterprise ireland about 15 years ago and they had 5 days marriage leave as a benefict. I got 2 extra days from my last employer when I got married but it was up to my manager and was told "keep it between us as it's not the norm". My current employer doesn't give any discretionary days other than the 20 annual leave , force majeure leave can be task I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

I work for a multinational. Boss gave me 5 days paid leave, but it was unofficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I’m surprised that this is still a “thing”.
    Even the opportunity to carry over unused A/L is entirely at the discretion of the employer.
    OP unfortunately you should have discussed this with the employer long ago. There’s nothing can be done about it if they don’t want to play ball now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

Unless you are eloping, I would have thought a wedding is something planned well in advance.
    Surely no employer could reasonably refuse a request made well in advance that you need leave to get married?

We don't have "married leave" per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

cml387 wrote: »
    Unless you are eloping, I would have thought a wedding is something planned well in advance.
    Surely no employer could reasonably refuse a request made well in advance that you need leave to get married?

We don't have "married leave" per se.

The OP is looking for additional paid leave above and beyond their annual leave entitlements. Nowhere does it state the employer is saying they cant have days off to get married

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Where i work offer 1 week Extra holidays when you get married, It's Paid but is offered as a benefit. Definitely not an industry standard

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I work for a large multinational and they do not offer extra days for marriage. They also will not approve extra unpaid leave. If you want more than 2 weeks off then special approval is needed to take more than 2 weeks from your annual leave balance, with only up to 3 weeks in row off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Stanford

There is no such thing as statutory marriage leave, any arrangements are between the employer and employee

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Where i work offer 1 week Extra holidays when you get married, It's Paid but is offered as a benefit. Definitely not an industry standard

Same in my company

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

daithi84 wrote: »
    Some companies with shift work allow you to book marriage leave, however its just you are guaranteed those days off. you do not get extra leave allowances. Just means you are prioritised in the leave allocation.

This!

I was offered an extra unpaid weeks leave for my wedding, but I didn't take it, just used my annual leave instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yep, that'd be a benefit that's entirely at the company's discretion, and I imagine it's not all that common, at least in terms of them giving out extra paid leave for it. OP, why not just use some of your annual leave time for it instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Just because they were awarded a great places to work certificate does not make the company a great place to work��. No marriage leave where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi Gerard,
    Yes, I had asked if there was an option to take 5 days unpaid leave. I was advised that this would not be an option.

Assuminng the is no good reason for not allowing unpaid leave, then you have two basic choices
    • Adjust your plans and reduce your leave requirements
    • Change Employer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I work for a multinational - only got 1 day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I went through the Citizen's Information website, and I can't find any reference to Marriage Leave.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/types_of_leave_from_work.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I went through the Citizen's Information website, and I can't find any reference to Marriage Leave.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/types_of_leave_from_work.html

That’s because there’s no statutory entitlement either to marriage leave, sick pay or compassionate leave.
    Common misunderstandings in the world of employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

In my place of work you are only allowed to take 10 days consecutively of your 20 days
    If your getting married they will let you take all 20 together once approved well in advance .
    No extra leave for getting married.

Advertisement