Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planes over Athy yesterday (Thursday 19th)

Options
  • 20-07-2018 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Any idea what the story with the 2 planes over Athy was yesterday afternoon? I was passing through (so dont know if this is a regular thing) but around 3 - 4 pm there were 2 aircraft flying very low and in formation (nose almost tipping tail) and circling / banking around in perfect formation for ages over the town.

I think it might have been 2 Air Corp planes as they were a light blue and looked like the pair of Casa CN 235 they have on their site. Big planes in slow flight with a wide "belly" like a transport aircraft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

They have been doing it for years.
    Buzzing the skyline of Athy, doing their acrobatics, over and over.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

rameire wrote: »
    They have been doing it for years.
    Buzzing the skyline of Athy, doing their acrobatics, over and over.

Was it the Air Corps planes i mentioned above? Big machines.

Is there any reason for Athy? First town outside Baldonell or something? Or is there another training runway near Athy or something?

As I say I was just passing through for a meeting so not on my regular route.

Yes the Casa 235’s we’re out practicing for the Bray air display.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

cargo wrote: »
    Was it the Air Corps planes i mentioned above? Big machines.

Is there any reason for Athy? First town outside Baldonell or something? Or is there another training runway near Athy or something?

As I say I was just passing through for a meeting so not on my regular route.

I think the reason for Athy would be due to not much air movement nearby. there is a grass landing strip a couple of mile north, but the only movement at low level was the Coast Guard.

They would be doing loop'd'loops and you can hear the engines clearly. its cool to look at.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Yes the Casa 235’s we’re out practicing for the Bray air display.

Looked class. Those are big machines to be travelling so close in formation.

Stay safe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement