Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist down Carrigtwohill

Options
  • 20-07-2018 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Saw a cyclist down yesterday evening bypassing Carrigtwohill. Was talking to the other half on phone (handsfree), herself could tell by my tone that I got a real chill in seeing what I saw. Cyclist was about 10-15m away from bike lying on the ground. There were plenty of people around so I decided not to stop. Cyclist was responding by the looks of it.
    I'm really not sure why the cyclist was on a dual carriageway with 120km/hr speed limit when there's a perfectly fine regional road running almost in parallel with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carli

Terrible news. I hope the cyclist is not too badly injured. I assume he/she was cycling in the hard shoulder. While some cyclists might not be comfortable doing this on a dual carriage-way it is allowed. In fact the rules of the road say that the hard shoulder is mainly for pedestrians and cyclists. On a motorway the hard shoulder can only be used for stopping in an emergency and, of course, cyclists are not allowed on motorways anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Carli wrote: »
    Terrible news. I hope the cyclist is not too badly injured. I assume he/she was cycling in the hard shoulder. While some cyclists might not be comfortable doing this on a dual carriage-way it is allowed. In fact the rules of the road say that the hard shoulder is mainly for pedestrians and cyclists. On a motorway the hard shoulder can only be used for stopping in an emergency and, of course, cyclists are not allowed on motorways anyway.

No offence but the hard shoulder of a 120km/h road should not be used by anyone, regardless of the legality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wouldn't the surface be smoother on a DC? They're quite popular in the UK for TTs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

P_1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't the surface be smoother on a DC? They're quite popular in the UK for TTs

With cars going at 120km/h, I don't think I want to be a lane on my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I really don’t like that road tbh,used to ride it all the time but it’s seldom I venture on to it now,I just hate to be cycling on a road where traffic is moving at often over 120 km/hr,and I’ve seen first hand cars that drift into the hard shoulder....the back road from Midleton through Ballintubber to Fota and then Glounthane to Glanmire is the safer option IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

With cars going at 120km/h, I don't think I want to be a lane on my bike.

Me neither

Advertisement