Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Chain Discount Rip Off

Options
  • 20-07-2018 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

Last night I was in (Not Saying) and saw a pack of 20 condoms for sale reduced from 16 euro to 9 euro. So I thought ok good price. Picked them up and... well it was completely obvious the box was completely empty except for what I thought was the 'instruction manual'.

i showed my fiance and she agreed this was a total rip off. They were selling an empty box for 9 euros. My first thought was this is somebody having a laugh to see who will buy it. but both of us was angry that they would even put this there.

So I left her finish the shopping and I payed for it and straight away called down the manager. Whoever had rewrapped it made it look like it was sealed and I have a photo of such.

So I ensured the store manager was there while we opened the box. And instead of the instruction leaflet there was a receipt - somebody had returned this box, all the condoms gone and then had been resealed to look like it was never opened.

So the manager explained that it had simply been placed in the 'wrong area' and that she will update the process.

Well hang on a minute. That does not add up.

First even if you have an IQ of -100 you can tell this box does not contain 20 condoms is empty.

Second it was resealed to look like it was not opened.

Third how did they quantify 9 euros? Are they just making up prices from the top of their head and hoping people pay no matter what? Did somebody examine the box and think somehow an empty box is worth 9 euros? I do not believe the story they gave me for one second. no matter what part is true this shows a complete disregard for the consumer.

Me I'm more open minded than anyone and my fiance too. But A lot of people who might have seen this quickly thrown it in the shopping trolly and thought they had a bargain - would feel too shy to return it just because of the nature of the product.

they of course refunded my money. But I asked that they give a full account of what happened and what they told me just does not add up and I personally do not believe a word.

So what now? Well If I name and shame them am I going to bring a legal case against me? I am so mad at them that they would do this and rip off somebody. I do not believe for a minute that this can pass all process of an international company and be put there for somebody to be out of pocket. Its sick.

So I want them to be named and shamed... but I have kids blah blah. But they should not be allowed to get away with this and with such a pathetic excuse my three kids could come up with something better.

anyway I'm not going to act but just wondering what advice if somebody has encountered some similar. I'm not looking for anything from this - just that people understand what kind of principles these guys work by.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

<SNIP - no need to quote the entire lengthy OP in the first reply>

I would think someone nicked the contents and is a pro at doing so without much effect at the packaging or returned them complaining they were damaged and the supermarket inadvertently put them back into stock rather than return to manufacturer.

I think your looking for something that doesn't exist here.

You say a low IQ would know it was empty box but you bought them ?We're you just looking for a little fight or freebie

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fitzgers

No the box was on closer inspection resealed at the bottom with selotape. so this was intentional not a quick rob job. Unless they are total pro. And they have said they watched camera evidence so this rules that out also.

Freebie? No I have no interest in anything from them just I bought it on purpose because both me and F were so mad that somebody else would take this and be out of pocket thats what made us mad.

Thats why I bought them. Of course I knew it was empty. Thats why I called the manager down straight away to open the box there and then.

My question is how they resealed and quantify 9 euro for an empty box. It is simply wrong. I do not believe the excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What? You knew, and any fool would know you tell us, yet you went and paid for them? I'm totally confused. Anybody else would have drawn it to the manager's attention without buying them

Someone obviously pulled a fast one in the store. Why such outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I love this forum, full of scabby people trying their best to "trick the system" and get freebies.

Why did you buy the box if you knew it was empty? Why didn't you just hand it in to customer services? What outcome were you hoping for?

Edit: do you actually think there is some conspiracy theory here that the chain supermarket is trying to con 9e out of their customers. The person that marked down the price on these doesn't give a **** about the overall profits of the store. They take the stock from the damaged/returns area, price them and put them back out in the discounted section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP - was it just that box or the range that was reduced? I agree with vectorvictor that it could very easily have been a mistake on the shops part or else that the contents had been nicked. I've seen it in a chemist I used to work in and there are people who can get stuff out of boxes without damaging the box at all.

Ultimately the shop don't owe you any explanation at all as to how that happened. All they owe you is your money back or a replacement product. Nothing more, nothing less.

I would question why you bought it and made a fuss when you knew it was empty rather than just bringing it to managements attention? What did you have to gain by going about it that way?

• Advertisement

I would question why you bought it and made a fuss when you knew it was empty rather than just bringing it to managements attention? What did you have to gain by going about it that way?

A freebie :)

fitzgers wrote: »
    No the box was on closer inspection resealed at the bottom with selotape. so this was intentional not a quick rob job. Unless they are total pro. And they have said they watched camera evidence so this rules that out also.

Ah that's an easy one. Buy the box, empty it, reseal with selotape and bring back. All done in the space of 10 mins in the carpark.
    Freebie? No I have no interest in anything from them just I bought it on purpose because both me and F were so mad that somebody else would take this and be out of pocket thats what made us mad.

But surely if someone else had bought it like you did, they would have noticed and been able to get a refund the same way you were. As you said yourself, anyone should have known it was empty.
    Thats why I bought them. Of course I knew it was empty. Thats why I called the manager down straight away to open the box there and then.

Why didn't you cut out the buying them part and just notify the manager?
    My question is how they resealed and quantify 9 euro for an empty box. It is simply wrong. I do not believe the excuses.

You don't have to believe their "excuses". They refunded you, yes? Then that's closed from your perspective. There's nothing to say that the shop resealed the box at all but if it was just that one that was reduced, then maybe they have a policy of how much things are priced at when returned. It could just be a system thing that all returned boxes of condoms are priced at €9, all returned candles are priced at €6 if any damage. They aren't going to explain their internal policies to you, nor are they required to.

Yes. and what would have happened? the Customer service guy/girl would have smiled, nodded and threw it in the skip.

I bought it knowing of course they will refund me. Everybody knows they would. this was to show them that what ever process they have is not working. And to try to find out if this is wholesale - are they just putting things up for sale and ripping people off whatout a care in the world?

Money is a sore point. I had to pay for flights three times two weeks ago again through disinformation so I guess its just my time also that any kind of thing like this is touching a sore spot.

And mloc123 I'm happy you think I'm scabby if thats your opinion then its probably true of many peoples opinion here. So I like the truth, so accept your comment as to what people are thinking as maybe you represent the majority. I hope not. But I don't discount it.

My objective? nothing for me. Just we were mad that that somebody did this. It was intentional I have no doubt. And what kind of control do they have or process if this can happen across the board.

I work in a company that has grown from 6 people to thousands over my 20 years there and process is key. Without it just close your shop.

Yes. and what would have happened? the Customer service guy/girl would have smiled, nodded and threw it in the skip.

I bought it knowing of course they will refund me. Everybody knows they would. this was to show them that what ever process they have is not working. And to try to find out if this is wholesale - are they just putting things up for sale and ripping people off whatout a care in the world?

Money is a sore point. I had to pay for flights three times two weeks ago again through disinformation so I guess its just my time also that any kind of thing like this is touching a sore spot.

And mloc123 I'm happy you think I'm scabby if thats your opinion then its probably true of many peoples opinion here. So I like the truth, so accept your comment as to what people are thinking as maybe you represent the majority. I hope not. But I don't discount it.

My objective? nothing for me. Just we were mad that that somebody did this. It was intentional I have no doubt. And what kind of control do they have or process if this can happen across the board.

I work in a company that has grown from 6 people to thousands over my 20 years there and process is key. Without it just close your shop.

Scabby is harsh maybe but... from my initial reading of your post my first reaction is... this guy is trying to get something for free. I can't see why anyone would go ahead and buy something that they know is not up to standard just to return it immediately.

To me it seems like a waste of time and energy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

What on god's name did you expect to achieve by buying an obviously empty box and then giving out about it?

Ask anyone who has ever worked in retail. Sh!t like this happens. You got a refund and apology. What else did you want?!

It'd in in your line to buy some tinfoil and make yourself a hat from it.

• Advertisement

The reason was what I said. If i pick it up and return it... if they have this kind of process it could be back up on the shelf in one hour? Maybe maybe not but whatever process allowed it to get there you cannot say it wouldn't happen.

I knew of course we would be refunded - thats not the point. the point was to engage with management to find out why this happened and understand if they are ripping off other people by - whichever failure is in the system.

Returning it - yeah the lazy way - and the lazy 'representative' will throw it away and nothing will change.

Am I gonna change the world here :D no. But its more a principle thing and asking how they can quantify something for 9 euros like this when everything says this is deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

' It was intentional I have no doubt. And what kind of control do they have or process if this can happen across the board.'

Across what board? Intentional by who? The chancer who returned the empty box? That's likely but I cannot understand what you want from this.

1. Someone returned this empty and got a refund
    2. It got thrown in a returns box & put back on the shelf
    3. You bought it and realised it was empty
    4. Store accepted this and paid you back.

What's the issue?

SeaFields wrote: »
    What on god's name did you expect to achieve by buying an obviously empty box and then giving out about it?

Ask anyone who has ever worked in retail. Sh!t like this happens. You got a refund and apology. What else did you want?!

It'd in in your line to buy some tinfoil and make yourself a hat from it.

It does. Ive seen sh!t happen in many places. But just accepting it happens - fine if you want to take the (excluding irish water) attitude of oh its grand.

But at the end of the say people might poke fun - its condoms! - omg! - but it could be somebody who needs money, too shy to return the product, down 9 euro and for an international company - that's not fair.

optogirl wrote: »
    ' It was intentional I have no doubt. And what kind of control do they have or process if this can happen across the board.'

Across what board? Intentional by who? The chancer who returned the empty box? That's likely but I cannot understand what you want from this.

1. Someone returned this empty and got a refund
    2. It got thrown in a returns box & put back on the shelf
    3. You bought it and realised it was empty
    4. Store accepted this and paid you back.

What's the issue?

If you want to accept this that fine. Accept it like the majority.

My point is that they clearly 'defended' themselves. they did not just 'put it back on the sheilf' they quantified that this 'box' had a value of 9 euros. So somebody somewhere along the process made a decision that this was a 9 euro sale. Of an empty box. If this was a human or system decision is not relevant. the point is the process failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you want to accept this that fine. Accept it like the majority.

Because the majority know errors can happen. The majority would a have just drawn their attention to it. The majority wouldn't, and rightly so, have seen an conspiracy or deliberate attempt to mislead or defraud.

My point is that they clearly 'defended' themselves. they did not just 'put it back on the sheilf' they quantified that this 'box' had a value of 9 euros. So somebody somewhere along the process made a decision that this was a 9 euro sale. Of an empty box. If this was a human or system decision is not relevant. the point is the process failed.

The box was damaged tho right? Re-sealed? That is why it was marked down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

are you going back tonight to see if the one you returned is back on the shelf again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Yeah, the process 'failed' if you want to be that dramatic about it but, so what? Processes fail all the time. You have lost nothing. Victor Meldrew would find your flogging of this particular dead horse pedantic.

mloc123 wrote: »
    The box was damaged tho right? Re-sealed? That is why it was marked down..

It was not damaged to look at it. It looked perfect until the manager attempted to open it.

• Advertisement

gwalk wrote: »
    are you going back tonight to see if the one you returned is back on the shelf again?

:D If I have the energy.. but yeah have to bring daughter to baketball across the road so might take a quick look. If they did... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

optogirl wrote: »
    Yeah, the process 'failed' if you want to be that dramatic about it but, so what? Processes fail all the time. You have lost nothing. Victor Meldrew would find your flogging of this particular dead horse pedantic.

True god bless his soul. But I'm more pedantic then him so shoot me.

It was not damaged to look at it. It looked perfect until the manager attempted to open it.

Okay... so the person at customer service when it was returned didn't suspect anything and the person that priced it down out of the returns basket didn't suspect anything... perhaps neither person is familiar with the weight of a box of condoms...

Melendez wrote: »

the packaging again looked perfect. Only the contents, by weight, was obviously not correct.

They have already reviewed CCTV as they have told me. So anyway the idea that I would be suspect... well that's your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Okay... so the person at customer service when it was returned didn't suspect anything and the person that priced it down out of the returns basket didn't suspect anything... perhaps neither person is familiar with the weight of a box of condoms...

Correct. So who / what made the descision to reshelf this and quantify it at 9 euros? To price something you just look at a box, resealed by the (unnamed) company and price it 9 euro? come on you guys are killing me nobody agrees this is not right.

Correct. So who / what made the descision to reshelf this and quantify it at 9 euros? To price something you just look at a box, resealed by the (unnamed) company and price it 9 euro? come on you guys are killing me nobody agrees this is not right.

I am guessing that all returns are priced down by default... how they picked the 9e figure, no idea.

I am guessing that all returns are priced down by default... how they picked the 9e figure, no idea.

Agree. So they are doing this wholesale across the company in all countries?

• Advertisement

But you haven't given a clear reason why you think that it was the business that resealed it and are doing this to rip off people continuously and therefore showing that internal processes are a complete failure.

I work in internal audit and control. Let me tell you straight - processes fail on some things. It happens. What matters is the level of failure. One empty box of condoms was repriced and put back on the shelf. Yes it's a failure of the process but 1 box does not indicate an endemic problem across that store let alone the whole company. It's not material enough in terms of the quantity of product (ignoring the financial side).

As said before - there could be standard pricing for re-shelving products. It might not be a judgement call. In fact for large businesses it definitely isn't. There's a listing that is followed.

Advertisement