Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reusable Nappies

Options
  • 20-07-2018 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I have been looking into reusable nappies and wipes. There are so many different brands, I am not sure which ones to pick so am coming here for some advice.

Has anyone used reusable nappies? What did they think of them ? What brand was used? :)

Also, I will have to put my baby in creche when I am going back to work, does anyone have any idea if I can use these nappies for creche?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

Definitely interested in this too. I can't give much advice as I literally used them for first time on Tuesday. Baby was 10 weeks old, I'd been mulling over it got a while before, then have up on the idea as knew I'd be overwhelmed in first weeks, then went back when I realised how many nappies we were going through.
    I joined the cloth nappy chart group on fb and there is a lot of information, but almost too much, it sounded so complicated. But then two people I know were using bumgenius so I ordered 5 (mixed types) from earthmother and after washing (including one very dirty one) and seeing them come out clean I ordered 5 more which should arrive today. They're expensive enough so want to ease myself in to using them.
    You can also rent from cloth nappy library to see which you like best but I didn't do that so can't comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

You will need to hand wash reusable nappies as they will destroy the washing machine and other clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

my sis was using them - no complaints about destroying their washing machine.
    but she did recommend to pre-wash them as seen on this link - https://www.babycentre.co.uk/a3845/how-to-change-a-cloth-nappy (where it also mentions the option of using disposable liners)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Jennehy wrote: »
    You will need to hand wash reusable nappies as they will destroy the washing machine and other clothing.

No you don't. You wash your cloth nappies on their own in the machine.

OP, see if you can find a cloth nappy library or a meet up called a 'nappucino'. They are a great opportunity to try out a few different brands/ types. I am using cloth with my 8 month old and love them. I have lots of different types but notice I use the same ones again and again. There is a Facebook page where you can buy second hand ones which is great as you can try different ones; velcro, poppers, flat sheets with wraps (like the terri towelling ones used years ago) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wagonwheel2

Thank you everyone for the information, very much appreciated. I am going to join the FB group. I am very keen on using them as I hate to think of all the waste one little baby can add to the rubbish tip.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

No you don't. You wash your cloth nappies on their own in the machine.

You obviously never saw the insides of a machine after giving a year or so washing soiled nappies. Or else you buy a new machine every few nonths.

You obviously never saw the insides of a machine after giving a year or so washing soiled nappies. Or else you buy a new machine every few nonths.

8 months of washing cloth nappies hasn't affected my machine at all. I do a maintenance wash every month or so too. Have you used cloth nappies?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Had two in cloth, just getting the nappies out for number three. Did a 90 degree wash with vinegar once a month to keep the machine clean. Breastfed poo is water soluble anyway!
    Ask away op, I've used cloth wipes too. Great system once you get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Generally people rinse them off in the toilet before putting them in the machine.

OP, I’ve been looking into this a lot and am going to order a starter kit from a library to see how I get in before committing. The savings to purse and planet are, IMO, worth the ick. IDK about crèches; the one I work in is very concerned with the environment so it could be worth talking to them. If you use liners they can flush or discard and all-in -one nappies that are very similar to disposables, as well as supply a waterproof bag for the used ones they may be amenable.

lazygal wrote: »
    Had two in cloth, just getting the nappies out for number three. Did a 90 degree wash with vinegar once a month to keep the machine clean. Breastfed poo is water soluble anyway!
    Ask away op, I've used cloth wipes too. Great system once you get into it.

Thank you for all the info, I may PM you here and there if you wouldn't mind. :)

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Generally people rinse them off in the toilet before putting them in the machine.

I just grab off any solid poo with some loo roll and flush that. Breastfed poos just dissolve in the machine...they were easier days! I do a cold prewash then a 60 long wash and have never had any problems. Like Lazygal, I do a hot wash with just vinegar monthly but I did that before nappies too to get rid if any detergent residue.

OP, I’ve been looking into this a lot and am going to order a starter kit from a library to see how I get in before committing. The savings to purse and planet are, IMO, worth the ick. IDK about crèches; the one I work in is very concerned with the environment so it could be worth talking to them. If you use liners they can flush or discard and all-in -one nappies that are very similar to disposables, as well as supply a waterproof bag for the used ones they may be amenable.

I suppose I am a long ways off yet with creche, baby etc as I am only 15 weeks but this is something I have thought of doing even before I was pregnant. Will see about the library too. I was looking at one online and i didn't see anything for Dublin but I am sure I wasn't looking in the right place. A starter kit is a great idea where you don't have to commit if you don't like the cloth nappies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I used cloth on both my girls. Love them!! I recommend a cloth nappy loan so you can try out different types and see if your local cloth library runs nappocinos so you can see some in person before baby arrives

My personal favourites are bumgenius flips for daytime and little lamb bamboo with blueberry coverall for night. But it's great to try lots of different types and brands as babies are different shapes so what works for one won't be as great for another

The fb groups wee great for getting stuff second hand and babame.com often have good offers on if buying new

I used cloth on both my girls. Love them!! I recommend a cloth nappy loan so you can try out different types and see if your local cloth library runs nappocinos so you can see some in person before baby arrives

My personal favourites are bumgenius flips for daytime and little lamb bamboo with blueberry coverall for night. But it's great to try lots of different types and brands as babies are different shapes so what works for one won't be as great for another

The fb groups wee great for getting stuff second hand and babame.com often have good offers on if buying new

Fabulous, thanks for the great advice. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Thank you for all the info, I may PM you here and there if you wouldn't mind. :)

No problem at all. I didn't do a huge amount of research before I started so happy to help. I use pockets myself as they work for us but I know they aren't for everyone. I used disposable liners once they started solids to catch the poo, these were flushed down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I just grab off any solid poo with some loo roll and flush that. Breastfed poos just dissolve in the machine...they were easier days! I do a cold prewash then a 60 long wash and have never had any problems. Like Lazygal, I do a hot wash with just vinegar monthly but I did that before nappies too to get rid if any detergent residue.
    I’ve heard of people doing that, using disposable liners, rigging up a sprayer, and just pressing ‘flush’ and holding them in the stream. Whatever works, I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

I bought popolini liners though I read I don't really need liners until he starts on solids, but also read that even if liners are sold as flushable that really none of them should be flushed down loo as they cause blockages?

This thread has just reminded me that I hace three huge rolls of liners I got from a friend while i was pregnant! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

I'm using cloth on my 8 month old and I love them. I didn't use them on my first baby and I wish I had, I used cloth wipes but not nappies. They're really not that much extra work.

I tried a few brands and now I'm just using bumgenius freetimes and elementals. Mostly freetimes as elementals are very slow to dry. I love the freetimes.

I sometimes use a disposable liner now baby's on solids and sometimes I just scrape any poo off into the loo with toilet paper. The disposable liners shouldn't be flushed even if they say they're flushable.

I store the used nappies in a hanging wet bag and you just open the bag and throw everything in the machine to wash them

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

Been using cloth for 21 months with my son. Love Miosolos and Bumgenius elementals.
    As regards washing them, we do a wash every three days and no issues with our washing machine so far.

We still use a disposable at night because we havent cracked it yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

First time I've ever heard this ... why would they destroy the machine?? Take the heavy soiled bits off the nappy and I can't see why there are any issues ...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

I've just booked a newborn nappy loan for January from clothnappylibrary.ie. Did you do this? Do they give a good choice in the kit? I've messaged them but haven't heard back. I know it's run by volunteers so it might take a while to get a reply.

ruadh wrote: »
    First time I've ever heard this ... why would they destroy the machine?? Take the heavy soiled bits off the nappy and I can't see why there are any issues ...

That user was banned but they never confirmed whether they used cloth nappies or not so I would listen to the more experienced cloth nappy mamas on this thread.

Advertisement