Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Quiche with Ham!!!

Options
  • 20-07-2018 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

On a rant,
    Bought a vegetarian quiche in local coffee shop. When I cut it to eat at home, it was a ham quiche. This is the third time in about a year this has happened. I will return it this evening. So annoyed

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Would wafer thin ham be ok?

No it would not!

The Gloomster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Jennehy wrote: »
    Would wafer thin ham be ok?

Pleaseeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

I spent many years being angry over trivial nonsense such as this. Then i finally realised life’s too short, nothing really matters and ultimately,who gives a füćk anyway

Helpful comments please, this is not AH.

The Gloomster

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In fairness, if the consumer is vegetarian for philosophical or ethical reasons I can see why they would be very upset & angry.

If they are not vegetarian & were buying what should have been a 'meat free' product - I can still see why they'd be a bit miffed. They didn't get what they thought they were buying.

Maybe it was an honest mistake & the non-veg product was given in error. Maybe it was a sloppiness & the coffee shop people need to get their act together. Who knows...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Maybe it was a vegetarian pig !!

Please! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lemongrease

honeybear wrote: »
    On a rant,
    Bought a vegetarian quiche in local coffee shop. When I cut it to eat at home, it was a ham quiche. This is the third time in about a year this has happened. I will return it this evening. So annoyed

I’d say it was that quorn ham.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

honeybear wrote: »
    On a rant,

Well, what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Well, what happened?

Went back yesterday evening and they were very apologetic. I’m a regular and it’s a nice cafe with lovely food. They refunded and gave me a dessert, which I wasn’t expecting. I’m a vegetarian for over 30 years and the thoughts of eating meat are abhorrent for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Good result - hopefully they'll recognise that they need to seriously improve their food labelling and handling methods - anyone can make a mistake, but to make mistakes so often that it has happened three times to the same customer within a year is beyond sloppy.

To those who think this is not worth complaining about: If they are so careless about whether something has meat in it, would you trust them to know or care if something has dairy, or nuts or any other common allergen in it?

Making your customers sick is usually a bad move for a food business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I spent many years being angry over trivial nonsense such as this. Then i finally realised life’s too short, nothing really matters and ultimately,who gives a füćk anyway

My wife has not eaten meat for almost 40 years. If she ate some, even inadvertently, and found out after, she'd be quite ill.

Hence, it is extremely important for a food premises to correctly label their foods.

Whilst the vegetarian issue is more psychological, other customers would have allergies and such poor attention to detail could cause very serious issues especially surrounding nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Good for you for bringing it back and raising the issue with the cafe.
    It's been (slightly) annoying me for a long time now, cafes and restaurants selling food as vegetarian when it really isn't (Thai curries made with paste containing fish sauce, pasta dishes made with pesto containing parmesan made with rennet, stir-fries made with oyster sauce, etc). I wouldn't mind the general public not realising that a certain ingredient is not vegetarian, but if you're in the industry I feel you really ought to know. And care. And label stuff correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's been (slightly) annoying me for a long time now, cafes and restaurants selling food as vegetarian when it really isn't
    the other one is vegetable soup containing chicken stock, however it is often not labelled as being vegetarian soup -but people presume it is. They should really clearly say if chicken stock was used.

Advertisement