Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrinkflation

Options
  • 20-07-2018 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Is it my imagination or is shrinkflation becoming more common !

Certain yogurts that came in 6 packs now in 4 packs at the same price.
    Jars of a certain brand of sauces suddenly getting smaller but at the same price also.
    Don't start on bars of chocolate !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Sounds good. All are sugar heavy foods and getting less of them is a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It has been common for decades. On certain items its because there is a psychological price point people won't buy it above (chocolate bars mainly) but frequently its because retailers effectively insist on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

L1011 wrote: »
    It has been common for decades. On certain items its because there is a psychological price point people won't buy it above (chocolate bars mainly) but frequently its because retailers effectively insist on it.
    ^^ This. ^^

Apart from that, it's not that easy for average customer to compare prices and/or calculate real price of 1 kg / 1 litre / etc. of product if it's sold in 0.8 kg / 1.75 litre / etc. packs/bottles/jars.

Figure in the Guardian today that over 2000 products have been recorded as reducing pack sizes in the UK in the last year by their CSO equivalent.

Inflation rates are on weight/volume not packs so don't think this is a way to reduce inflation rates, which are still negative a lot of the time. They're ways of avoiding price pointing on specific items that are going up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

joujoujou wrote: »
    ^^ This. ^^

Apart from that, it's not that easy for average customer to compare prices and/or calculate real price of 1 kg / 1 litre / etc. of product if it's sold in 0.8 kg / 1.75 litre / etc. packs/bottles/jars.

Dont shops have to display that price exactly for comparison purposes?

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Dont shops have to display that price exactly for comparison purposes?

Yes. But frequently the figures are absolutely nonsense, Tesco in particularly appear to have given the shelf edge sticker person a magic calculator that gives incomprehensible figures. CCPC are only concerned if the price itself is wrong though, which is a huge regression of what their predecessor organisations did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

They're bringing back the original shaped Toblerone, only it'll be bigger, and more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

They're bringing back the original shaped Toblerone, only it'll be bigger, and more expensive.

Hopefully it will taste just as nice as changes of formulation are nearly as irritating as sneaky changes in unit price !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Xterminator

or you can just buy the twin peaks 'toblerones' from the pounds ships, and let the manufacturer see that consumers are not the mugs they take us for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gambas wrote: »
    Sounds good. All are sugar heavy foods and getting less of them is a positive.
    lots of people will just eat 2x40g bars instead of the 60g one they used to get.

There is typically more packaging per gram in these smaller pack sizes.

It does not "sound good" to me, in most cases I would rather have the price increase. But in some cases I do prefer smaller sizes. The prices do not always 100% stay static as some make out. When bars got smaller I remember some ridiculous deals on multipacks that I never saw with previous weight bars. Like 4 snickers for a euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement