Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fired with no notice

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

So did the co-worker who is buying the place know you would be fired? And never said anything. That's messed up.

Considering you work with only the boss who fired you and that co-worker who is buying the place out, if I'm reading the post correctly, that just seems like such an obvious set up. I can't imagine any judge/panel/whatever they have for unfair dismissal cases not being able to see it as such. And then not following procedures at all either. Ridiculous. And not smart on their part really.

Anyway I'd say your well to be shot clear of them anyways and at least it sounds like you have some other work going. And there are plenty of mickey mouse print shops like this - they pay crap for the hassle of designing in them really. If you are good enough to freelance you won't have a problem getting another printer place job if that's what you want.

And you can still put this on your CV IMO, you don't need them for a reference, your freelance references can be used for future applications. You can just say the job there ended because the business was sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

No . It just says that if a claim is brought the employer must prove they followed procedure. Its quite clear the employer did investigate . And procedure does nott necessarily inclufe interview with fired person if not required ..
    Accusing an employee of stealing is one of the most serious things an employer can do to an employee, firing them on this grounds is potentially/essential depriving them of the ability to earn a living as few future employers checking references will risk hiring a thief. If an employer is going down this route they better be very very clear on the procedure that they need to follow and be methodical in following and documenting it. Not bothering to include an interview with the person being fired is a slam dunk, proof positive, unfair dismisal due to failure to follow procedure. It's a clear indication that the investigator has failed to gather all the facts, because the principle of natural justice requires that the accused has a right of reply when presented with the facts gathered. And the meeting where she was fired will not count as the boss had taken her keys before any discussion which is a very clear indication that the boss intended to fire her irrespective of any discussion.

OP as this appears to have been a way to move you out of the business I would seriously consider going to the legal route to clear your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP your psycho and abusive boss who liked to exploit you can and probably will badmouth you behind your back and cost you your reputation and business. The business being sold makes it so laughable - and regardless you dont need a solicitor in an employee tribunal - its cut and dry in your favour. And she has a lot more to lose with a case adjucitating against her -which IS what will happen. Your loss of income & compensation will probably come in ar about 40k.Enough to put a deposit on a house. (Google Dunnes stores saussages). She has been taking advantage of you for years. She is now going solo into the same area as you and is trying to destroy you as a competitor. You sound like an honest and virtuous hardworking person. You absolutely need to tackle this and clear your name - you cannot lose. Seize courage and put nothing in writing to her, but take strength and make a complaint to the WPC. To be thick I would turn up for worrk and be told I was fired or to go home. Then there is clarity and she cant pretend she wanted you for freelance or just there while supervised. You have been ansolutely treated unfairly and dreadfully humiliated and degraded. . Citizens advice will tell you how to take a clain for unfair dismissal. . Dont mind that you once took something out of a bin or that was going to be binned and brought it home- this was cutoffs and scrap paper and the 'custom and practice' of her allowing you had already been established and you assumed -as had been allowed in the past -that this would now also be allowed as it was a small and insignificant thing for a close friend who had mental illness and who the boss had a close personal connection with and had been helping in her micro craft set-up which has had 3 sales to friends and family.. . Dont even call it a 'business'.
    Regardless - she can seriously damage you by allowing her to get away with this -go to citizens advice and ask them for the forms/ for help in filling the forms and take that case. You WILL win . And you will have a clear name and solid base to move from. And a good pot of money which will take the bsd taste out of your mouth and stop her talking about you behind yiur back and ruining your future -which she will do, unless you take these steps to stop her. Courage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

221B wrote: »
    Sorry I went AWOL, thank you to everyone who’s posted, it’s been a huge help. I’m trying to sort out other work at the moment. Found out that the business is being sold, to my coworker. Currently trying to get hold of my boss to get my P45.

I knew that it was being held as an excuse for something else. Get your p45 now and you can do so much better. I wonder if the new owner will be employing her former boss! And getting the work in your place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Sorry I went AWOL, thank you to everyone who’s posted, it’s been a huge help. I’m trying to sort out other work at the moment. Found out that the business is being sold, to my coworker. Currently trying to get hold of my boss to get my P45.

If the facts are as reported, that comes across as a pretty dirty deal. You work in a related area and you know the people socially, so you may just want to leave it at that and move on. OTOH, you will also have the option of quietly telling others of what happened. Reputation is important in business and personally if I knew the name of this business and where located, I wouldn't be going out of my way to give them any work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

BarryD2 wrote: »
    If the facts are as reported, that comes across as a pretty dirty deal. You work in a related area and you know the people socially, so you may just want to leave it at that and move on. OTOH, you will also have the option of quietly telling others of what happened. Reputation is important in business and personally if I knew the name of this business and where located, I wouldn't be going out of my way to give them any work.

But the problem is, if the OP does nothing then it could just as easily be the other two going around the place saying the OP is a thief and destroying her reputation. And for someone starting up on their own, there might be no coming back from it. I would absolutely be bringing this to the WRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

BarryD2 wrote: »

I can't see what OP possibly has to gain by letting it go. Knows them socially? They just conspired to force her out on spurious grounds and without proper procedures. They're hardly gonna be mates now, I'd be champing at the bit to get this in front of a tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 221B

Update: Finally heard back from her today after sending a short email asking her to clarify the situation. So apparently I'm NOT fired. She seemed genuinely confused when I questioned her. She said I can continue to work there but only under constant supervision to ensure I don't repeat what I did. I'd honestly rather take a long walk off a short pier than ever set foot in that studio again, I don't need the hours and she knows that. Don't know if this is some sort of weird mind game she's playing in order to get me to resign but i'm seriously contemplating doing it just to have this whole thing over with. She made it clear I won't be getting a reference whatever I decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

This has to be a windup.

I suspect the op is trolling and style of post is very similar to other trolling posts over the past couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I'm not in any way expert on employment matters, but the latest description sounds like constructive dismissal?

Accused of stealing without any proper process
    Then told not fired but only allowed work under constant scrutiny?

Sounds like an impossible situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Patww79 wrote: »

Sorry, but I've read the op's posts. Its total and utter bullsh1t and he trips over himself several times.

Too many people believe rubbish like this - probably explains how the daily mail sells so well.

Complete and utter horsesh1t is what I say it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Sorry, but I've read the op's posts. Its total and utter bullsh1t and he trips over himself several times.

Too many people believe rubbish like this - probably explains how the daily mail sells so well.

Trolling to what end?

Other than you coming on saying so?

Theirs noting for a troll in the preceding 12 or whatever pages it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

CeilingFly - I'm not sure how carefully you read the OP's posts. Way back on page 2 SHE said "Just to clarify, I'm a woman in my early twenties, that doesn't make any difference but everyone is referring to me as 'him'."

However - I have to agree with you that the whole story is a bit far fetched. Either the OP is extremely naive or it's someone having a bit of fun with us.

OP (giving you the benefit of the doubt) - Please talk to someone close - a family member - anyone who can give you some sound advice and knows your situation.
    My tuppence worth - Your boss is a sociopath - run away. Inflict some damage if you think that can get away with it.

Maybe the boss has read this thread.

How many days were you off OP? Didn't she miss you until now ? Maybe the boss has come to the realisation that she can't do the work without you. And wants to supervise you closely so she can learn your skills so she'll be ready to take your place when she really fires you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Maybe the boss has read this thread.

How many days were you off OP? Didn't she miss you until now ? Maybe the boss has come to the realisation that she can't do the work without you. And wants to supervise you closely so she can learn your skills so she'll be ready to take your place when she really fires you again.

Perhaps the boss has realized how stupid it is to fire someone who works for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 221B

This has to be a windup.

I suspect the op is trolling and style of post is very similar to other trolling posts over the past couple of weeks.

What exactly would I achieve by making this up? This hasn't been a fun situation for me to be in, it's actually probably been the worst two weeks of my life with several other s***tty things happening concurrently with this. If this sounds too weird to be true I guarantee it's even more bizarre and weird from my end.

To the other poster asking why my boss hadn't missed me before today, I only work Thursdays to Saturdays, I'm currently taking my annual leave so I can sort this out. Sat down with my parents today to discuss what to do next and they both want me to just call it quits and move on. I'm most likely going to do this, thank you to everyone who posted on here, it was extremely helpful and I learnt a lot of new things I can hopefully use in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

What exactly would I achieve by making this up? This hasn't been a fun situation for me to be in, it's actually probably been the worst two weeks of my life with several other s***tty things happening concurrently with this. If this sounds too weird to be true I guarantee it's even more bizarre and weird from my end.

To the other poster asking why my boss hadn't missed me before today, I only work Thursdays to Saturdays, I'm currently taking my annual leave so I can sort this out. Sat down with my parents today to discuss what to do next and they both want me to just call it quits and move on. I'm most likely going to do this, thank you to everyone who posted on here, it was extremely helpful and I learnt a lot of new things I can hopefully use in the future.

Fup her, OP. Not going to give you a reference?

You've likely made good contacts while working there. Enjoy :)

Glad to hear it OP. I can't believe how complacent the boss was , like she didn't remember firing you. Onwards and upwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Glad to hear it OP. I can't believe how complacent the boss was , like she didn't remember firing you. Onwards and upwards. :)

I'd only take that as boss not wanting to confirm the Op's account in writing. People often put very different things on writing than they say in person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think this is key. It's not stealing if you have permission to do it.[/quote]

Yep. Great point

Its like a unwritten contract that has been in place for years.

Go get a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

ebbsy wrote: »
    Yep. Great point

Its like a unwritten contract that has been in place for years.

Go get a solicitor.

Customs & Practice ... it's hung out many an employer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I guess what I'm asking is do I have any rights to the designs I've made in that studio? I've created maybe 50 or 60 over the two years. Should I go back to retrieve the files so I can use them for my portfolio or should I just cut my losses?

IP ownership always defaults to the creator unless some other contract is in place. If you have an employment contract have a read through it and see if it says anything about the company owning anything you create. If it does not then the IP does indeed belong to you and you have ever right to retrieve it and the company also cannot use it without your permission.

Most employment contracts will have a provision for this tho so if you have a contract there is a high probability there is something in there that covers this. If you have no employment contract then the IP ownership of anything you created is yours regardless of if it was created on company time or using company resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

I'm paid hourly, I'm definitely an employee, I receive payslips and I don't invoice her.

Did you get a p45 then?

Advertisement