Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10 miler swords 2018

Options
  • 20-07-2018 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Anybody have a notion what this course is like ? Is it an extension of the old tenk route?

Thanks
    BS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Hi All,

Anybody have a notion what this course is like ? Is it an extension of the old tenk route?

Thanks
    BS

It is an extension of the 10K route.
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/race/frank-duffy-10-mile/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That link mentions parking in the Pavillions. They OK with that, or are ye likely to get clamped for going away and not using the shopping centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

That link mentions parking in the Pavillions. They OK with that, or are ye likely to get clamped for going away and not using the shopping centre?

They had special parts of the centre they directed the runners to when the tenk was held there . Easy peasy. You did have to pay though as far as I remember .

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Bluesquare wrote: »
    They had special parts of the centre they directed the runners to when the tenk was held there . Easy peasy. You did have to pay though as far as I remember .

I'm not sure we did pay last year did we? I thought we were directed into a section where they had someone manning the gates, keeping them open when we left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I'm not sure we did pay last year did we? I thought we were directed into a section where they had someone manning the gates, keeping them open when we left.

I think everyone gets two hours free parking there anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

contemplating signing up for this - it would be my first ever 10 mile - the longest I've run so far is 13k. Obviously would build up beyond this over the weeks coming up to the race.

Would this be a good first 10 miler does anyone think? I've a fairly hectic August lined up so don't want to overstretch myself but still want a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Goose76 wrote: »
    contemplating signing up for this - it would be my first ever 10 mile - the longest I've run so far is 13k. Obviously would build up beyond this over the weeks coming up to the race.

Would this be a good first 10 miler does anyone think? I've a fairly hectic August lined up so don't want to overstretch myself but still want a challenge!

Not a bother to you , sign up and belt away at it, you only have 3km to add to your already 13k distance you can do, bit more training and buzz and energy of race day will push you on no problem for the 10 miles .

Good luck with it, the SSE race series are great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Anyone know if any shuttle buses from Malahide dart or public transport will be operating for this? Once again, I'll be relying on public transport if I was to do this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

Hi
    Is there a link to the elevation for this one? Cannot seem to see it on the website.

Wondering what sort of hills are on the course.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Alorra wrote: »
    Hi
    Is there a link to the elevation for this one? Cannot seem to see it on the website.

Wondering what sort of hills are on the course.

Thanks

Ive ran about 90% of the route about 6 times at this stage as part of my long runs at the weekend, honestly there are no hills worth mentioning. I will say that the country back roads can potentially be in bad condition, unless fingal coco have redone them recently , so that’s all I’d be wary of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Ive ran about 90% of the route about 6 times at this stage as part of my long runs at the weekend, honestly there are no hills worth mentioning. I will say that the country back roads can potentially be in bad condition, unless fingal coco have redone them recently , so that’s all I’d be wary of.

When you say 'country back roads', are there farms? Any chance of dogs running out at us? (That happened to me a couple of times in a recent Blackwater 10k & I really didn't like it, to the extent that I'm not going to do that race again).

HelenAnne wrote: »
    When you say 'country back roads', are there farms? Any chance of dogs running out at us? (That happened to me a couple of times in a recent Blackwater 10k & I really didn't like it, to the extent that I'm not going to do that race again).

No dog has run out at me- if that’s any help. It is a farmimg area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

Pink11 wrote: »
    Anyone know if any shuttle buses from Malahide dart or public transport will be operating for this? Once again, I'll be relying on public transport if I was to do this one.

Public transport (bus) is not a problem for getting in to swords but from my experience it's a nightmare to get out of.
    Would love to do this but with it being all Ireland final day I'd need to get back in to town asap, don't think I'll take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

ooter wrote: »
    Public transport (bus) is not a problem for getting in to swords but from my experience it's a nightmare to get out of.
    Would love to do this but with it being all Ireland final day I'd need to get back in to town asap, don't think I'll take the risk.

Yeah came to that conclusion myself (All Ireland day). Think I'll just do my LSR by myself that week!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Plus, it's a Sunday. Fewer buses, in general.

I ran the 10 mile route this morning- a lot, to be fair to fingal co co, has been re surfaced, however there are still some sections of potholes/uneven surfaces on the back roads part of the route something to be aware of.

Got my race number in the post today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Is there likely to be any pacers on the day, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

juke wrote: »

I speak entirely non-authoritatively, but historically there has only been pacers for the half and full. The information for the races on the website reckon this is still the case. Time to bribe a friend to run it at marathon pace or something :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

What time were you thinking of targeting?

Huzzah! wrote: »
    What time were you thinking of targeting?

:pac: :o

Was just building up to posting on your log!

Not sure, never done a 10 mile. Based off my last 5k, Hansons' calculator says 6.46.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

The worst thing about the Fingal 10k transmogrifying into the Frank Duffy 10 Miler is of course that the previous posts I made on boards with course information no longer apply. Given that the start line is like a few hundred metres from my gaff, I felt obliged to do a recce and write it up. I made a half-arsed and doomed attempt at running the course a few months ago but took a wrong turn somewhere and cut the course, but today I actually ran the entire thing, aided by warning signs about the race and mile markers graffitied onto the road!

The first couple of miles or so

The start is in the same location as the start of the Fingal 10k, slap bang in the middle of Swords Main St., somewhere around Clarke's Centra and The Hawthorn Hotel The Fourty Four. Expect the usual semi-organised melee, if you are going for sub-40 or so you probably need to be in the area early-ish to get a good starting place. The first change to the course comes very quickly, and is not entirely a positive change - instead of going up the Main St. / Dublin Road until the Pinnock Hill roundabout, the course turns quickly to the left towards the Pavillions at the Garda Station. This cuts out a bit of a drag, though the open straight 1km at the start was good at sorting out positions. After the left the course bends around the roundabout Pavillions and resumes the old Fingal 10k course on the Swords bypass. The bypass is nothing to write home about, it's a boring bypass but it's wide enough and things open up pretty well on it. The main thing to keep in mind here is to race the race line, which is as mostly close to the left hand side as possible. The surface can be a little wonky due to drains, kerbs etc. but just stick to the left (unless I'm running there at the time). It's slightly downhill here until the third and final roundabout you'll encounter at Fingallians, and then it's more of the same up towards the turn-off into the countryside. I swear that this is a slight uphill drag, but Strava reckons otherwise - maybe it feels like it as the bypass can be a little exposed, so tuck in behind some big fecker and keep the pace ticking over.

The countryside

At 2.3 miles the course turns left into country roads that are well protected on both sides by ditches and trees. Things get a little lumpy here, there are some minor bumps and drags but nothing serious. The surface here is pretty ok. The road does a left turn and brings you to a T junction with a right turn and a drag to get up. Here the course diverges from the Fingal 10k - instead of turning down towards Balheary church at around the half-way point of the 10k, you head straight past the turn, continuing north and further into the country side. After the 3 mile mark there's the first water station. Along here has good tree cover and the surface is grand, though there were some large puddles from the rain around here so if it was raining you may have to choose to go around or through the puddles. Slight downhill here according to Strava.

Things change a little with a turn to the left at around 4.6 miles, the road quality is a lot worse and there's no real cover from the elements, just the odd tree. If it's warm or windy or wet things might get tough here. Also, it's uphill for the next two miles! Again, nothing severe, 50 ft climb though with a few small ups and downs. Just over half a mile later the course turns to the left again back towards Swords, and the road quality deteriorates a little more here. Things get a bit better around 6 miles or so from the cover perspective with the resumption of tree/ditch lined roads.

Back to civilisation

Just before the 7 mile mark there's another left turn taking you away from the looming Roganstown Hotel and past a few golf courses on the Balheary Road. This is well surfaced, straight and pretty much a slight downhill until the last 400 metres or so. Go for it! At the 8.7 mile mark the course rejoin the Fingal 10k course at Balheary Church. After crossing the Broadmeadow River, we're pretty much in Swords now, passing such notable landmarks as the National Museum's Collection Resource Centre (i.e. a big warehouse) and the old Amdahl factory. The road widens and opens up, and you swing around the end of Balheary Park and then back up to the right towards the centre of Swords. The good, and pretty obvious news, is that the end is pretty close. The Fingal 10k used to turn off North St., over a small bridge and then up the mountain of Watery Lane - a 40ft climb that feels like 4000ft at the later stages of a 10k. However there is no such character building climb at the latter stages of this 10 mile route, just a minor drag over the last few hundred metres. My watch marked 10 miles somewhere around the Applegreen though the map suggests it's a bit further up the street closer to the castle, and it looks like the surrounding park will contain the usual post-race bananas, t-shirts, etc.

Summary

Overall, it's a good course. The surface isn't always perfect but I've experienced a lot worse. The only real problem is the early turn to the left, which even at a smaller race such as the Trim 10 mile can be a problem, though it's so early on in a long enough race that it doesn't really matter unless you fall or something. In racing nomenclature it's probably not "fair" (which I think translates to a complete b0ll0x of a course) but closer to "PB friendly". The country-side extension of the Fingal 10k course isn't particularly interesting, but nobody (other than Britney Spears) comes to Swords for the sights. Cyas on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

:pac: :o

Was just building up to posting on your log!

Not sure, never done a 10 mile. Based off my last 5k, Hansons' calculator says 6.46.

Me, too! We can run together, if it suits? I won’t pace you, but can maybe be a bit of company. You can push on if the chatter gets too much or you’re feeling good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sub 40 :eek::pac:

I'd love to oblige but I'll be busy that morning. :D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Me, too! We can run together, if it suits? I won’t pace you, but can maybe be a bit of company. You can push on if the chatter gets too much or you’re feeling good!

Sounds perfect, your steadiness will keep me from having notions and chat would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Does anyone know where I'd find an elevation map for this race?
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Singer wrote: »
    transmogrifying

Red Dwarf fan?!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

Does anyone know where I'd find an elevation map for this race?
    Thank you!
    Strava

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great route description Singer !! Have passed it on a lot !! Thanks

Advertisement