Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Skerries

• 20-07-2018 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

a few weeks back I got a parking fine for parking along the strand in Skerries. I'm not a local but I had paid for parking but oddly along a very short stretch of road there seems to be several parking rates. I went to the wrong machine. All of which was not intentional as its not the norm in any other town in Ireland to have something like this. My appeal got turned down. Has anyone successful brought this to court? The only clear notice of these zones is text on the ground so you have to be in the middle of the road to read it. I think its shooting fish in a barrel to be honest by Fingal CoCo. Its not the fine that is bugging me but the principle of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Branch wrote: »
    a few weeks back I got a parking fine for parking along the strand in Skerries. I'm not a local but I had paid for parking but oddly along a very short stretch of road there seems to be several parking rates. I went to the wrong machine. All of which was not intentional as its not the norm in any other town in Ireland to have something like this. My appeal got turned down. Has anyone successful brought this to court? The only clear notice of these zones is text on the ground so you have to be in the middle of the road to read it. I think its shooting fish in a barrel to be honest by Fingal CoCo. Its not the fine that is bugging me but the principle of it.

Not exactly the same, but I have successfully appealed two clampings due to ambiguous signage and won both.

Take photos from all angles and ask a solicitor what they think. Although the solicitors fee may be more than the fine!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I can safely say I have never noticed this and regularly park in Skerries (most days)....I must look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Branch

Not exactly the same, but I have successfully appealed two clampings due to ambiguous signage and won both.

Take photos from all angles and ask a solicitor what they think. Although the solicitors fee may be more than the fine!

I decided to pay in the end. Just the hassle of fighting it and it wont break me. Its Just annoying as Fingal CoCo know this is the case and gladly leaving this fudge in place. Its a bit like Ryanair. Its in the T&Cs and very small print etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Branch

shesty wrote: »
    I can safely say I have never noticed this and regularly park in Skerries (most days)....I must look into it.

It was my first trip to Skerries so the parking setup seems to be unique when compared to the rest of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

shesty wrote: »
    Yes, there are different zones on some streets/roads. Harbour Road and South Strand for example. Some have a per hour rate, some have a daily rate, some have a 'free of charge' zone and some have residents only zone.

As the OP has said, putting the text on the road isn't ideal as it can't be seen when vehicles are parked above it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement