Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you watch or read anything from modern philosophers/debaters/social critics?

• 20-07-2018 1:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So Jordan Peterson has been making a bit of a stir the last months, I think there are 4 different threads on him in various forums but he's just the latest big deal, there's been plenty of others ranging from national newspaper columnists doing philosophical university debates to people making videos in their bedrooms on youtube.

Personally I've never watched a single one of these youtube videos, either homemade or taped debates where X destroys Y, and never read newspaper opinion pieces anymore. I'm not entirely sure why I don't have any interest, maybe my physics background has left me wary of verbal debates in an area I'm not an expert, maybe it's the smug 'intellectual' attitude a lot of these people give off while debating. Maybe while the topics might be sometimes interesting and I do glance at them on Boards, all the strawmen and having to analyse every sentence for fallacies leaves me bored. Possibly there's just something odd about watching a load of people mass debating on stage.

And the rest of ye?

Well? 10 votes

Regularly
    0% 0 votes
    The odd time
    60% 6 votes
    Never
    40% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

So Jordan Peterson has been making a bit of a stir the last months, I think there are 4 different threads on him in various forums but he's just the latest big deal, there's been plenty of others ranging from national newspaper columnists doing philosophical university debates to people making videos in their bedrooms on youtube.

Personally I've never watched a single one of these youtube videos, either homemade or taped debates where X destroys Y. I'm not entirely sure why I don't have any interest, maybe my physics background has left me wary of verbal debates in an area I'm not an expert, maybe it's the smug 'intellectual' attitude a lot of these people give off while debating. Maybe while the topics might be sometimes interesting and I do glance at them on Boards, all the strawmen and having to analyse every sentence for fallacies leaves me bored. Possibly there's just something odd about watching a load of people mass debating on stage.

And the rest of ye?

As far as I can tell the only reason JP broke into the mainstream is because of that interview.

Very rare that any significant number of people would pay attention to YouTube philosophers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

LLMMLL wrote: »
    As far as I can tell the only reason JP broke into the mainstream is because of that interview.

Very rare that any significant number of people would pay attention to YouTube philosophers.

It's not just youtube guys though, there are plenty who write or wrote for big newspapers and wrote books, like that Hitchens guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Life's too short to be listening to yahoos spouting endless bolllocks. If that's how I wanted to spend my time I'd go to the pub more often.

It's not just youtube guys though, there are plenty who write or wrote for big newspapers and wrote books, like that Hitchens guy

And Hitchens was famous for being controversial. I only heard of Hitchens work when he was causing a fuss.

I don’t believe the vast majority of people seek out philosophy/social commentary.

We can be exposed to it a good bit (for example in newspaper columns) but seeking it out, following particular personalities..... seems a lot rarer to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Ben Shapiro's name is sometimes mentioned alongside Peterson. He seems to be an accomplished speaker and his debates make for interesting viewing.

Admittedly I'm somewhat apolitical myself so my opinion of him or his views wouldn't be what you'd call qualified.

• Advertisement

And Hitchens was famous for being controversial. I only heard of Hitchens work when he was causing a fuss.

I don’t believe the vast majority of people seek out philosophy/social commentary.

We can be exposed to it a good bit (for example in newspaper columns) but seeking it out, following particular personalities..... seems a lot rarer to me.

I wouldn't think so either amongst the general population, but it does seem to be getting more popular, certainly here on Boards and other Irish internet platforms Peterson has created a lot of posts. Before that it was mostly religious debaters that got all the attention and posts, particularly on A&A forum (how could I forget Dawkins, probably the most famous of them all, although from a previous internet age). Has he opened the door I wonder? I mean if you are going to listen to him, then why not others

Noveight wrote: »
    Ben Shapiro's name is sometimes mentioned alongside Peterson. He seems to be an accomplished speaker and his debates make for interesting viewing.

Admittedly I'm somewhat apolitical myself so my opinion of him or his views wouldn't be what you'd call qualified.

And there was that Milo Yiannopolous for a while too. I don't know if Lousie O Neill does debates, but she probably fits in from the columnists side of things

I wouldn't think so either amongst the general population, but it does seem to be getting more popular, certainly here on Boards and other Irish internet platforms Peterson has created a lot of posts. Before that it was mostly religious debaters that got all the attention and posts, particularly on A&A forum. Has he opened the door I wonder? I mean if you are going to listen to him, then why not others

Well because there was a major controversy around him because of that interview. There’s no way he’d have gotten so famous without it.

People love someone to follow. It’s why TED talks became popular. It’s why things like the web summit promoted WHO would be debating or chatting on the main stage rather than WHAT they’d be debating or chatting about.

People care more about ideas when there’s someone famous communicating those ideas. And JP became famous because of that interview.

Other people discussing those ideas are less famous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I find it too exhausting trying to keep up with all these new social movements and changes so I just don't bother.

And there was that Milo Yiannopolous for a while too. I don't know if Lousie O Neill does debates, but she probably fits in from the columnists side of things

Again both controversial figures.

• Advertisement

Again both controversial figures.

Sure, but when I think back to when I was in university in Ireland, roughly 10 years ago, I wouldn't have known of a single one, except maybe Dawkins, who was the controversialist of that time I suppose.

Advertisement