Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sparkling Water Available Galway City

Options
  • 20-07-2018 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I know, first world problems 'eh :D

I tried Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes stores, Tesco's, Tesco express, Centra and not 1 pack of sparking water available in any of them.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this around the country or is it just Galway city? maybe someone knows what the issue is with supply?

Are we to go back drinking still? Oh, the humanity! :rolleyes::)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Also a problem in Cork! There's none in my local Aldi or Tesco. It's been this way for the past few weeks.

It's made me think about how much plastic I am buying though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Recent CO2 shortages across Europe, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Recent CO2 shortages across Europe, probably.

Aha.... that is exactly the reason why.... thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Same in Dublin! Haven't been able to get a hold on some the last 2/3 weeks. Was wondering was it just me or the hot weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There are CO2 shortages across Europe, it’s affectingg the production of all carbonated drinks including artificially carbonated sparkling water. Naturally sparkling water should still be fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

And where can we buy this Naturally sparkling water as none of the major stores have it or any sparkling water? ;)

dudara wrote: »
    There are CO2 shortages across Europe, it’s affectingg the production of all carbonated drinks including artificially carbonated sparkling water. Naturally sparkling water should still be fine though.

Evian, Badoit, San pellegrino etc are all naturally sparkling. I’d imagine though that demand might be high for them at the moment if the other brands are not available. Other than that, I know as much as anyone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Could be worse. How’s the beer aisle???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is this a piss-take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

theteal wrote: »

Guinness uses Nitrogen, so there's always that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

ahhhhh, had wondered why I couldnt get it anywhere this week

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Have not seen it in Aldi for at least a month.

Rulmeq wrote: »
    theteal wrote: »

Guinness uses Nitrogen, so there's always that.
    Mass produced factory beer uses CO2 also

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Guinness might use pressurised nitrogen to propel the beer out of the barrel i.e. the gas cylinders they supply to the pubs might contain nitrogen but the 'fizz' in beer is CO2 which is a by-product of the fermentation process. The yeast breaks down the sugars to alcohol and CO2. So for bottles and cans, the breweries don't need any external source of gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Guinness uses a mix of nitrogen and co2 anyway; and bottled/canned beer does require additional co2.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Local brewery ran out didn't have enough to bottle more beer, kept enough to keep the draft flowing so wasn't all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Loads in Lidl, Ballycullen, Lidl in Nutgrove and Lidl in Tallaght today.

CO2 production is a byproduct of ammonia production. Natural gas is split into ammonia and CO2. It is use is as a fertiliser, and this summer many ammonia plants have shut for maintenance at the same time. It is used in beers , mostly lagers to create the unnatural fizzyness like hino or bud

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Buy a sodastream OP before it's too late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

dudara wrote:
    Evian, Badoit, San pellegrino etc are all naturally sparkling. I’d imagine though that demand might be high for them at the moment if the other brands are not available. Other than that, I know as much as anyone here.

Huh? The water is not naturally sparkling, it's called mineral water because it has essential minerals in it. San Pellegrino, evian etc add co2 when bottling, the same as any other manufacturer.

tedpan wrote: »
    Huh? The water is not naturally sparkling, it's called mineral water because it has essential minerals in it. San Pellegrino, evian etc add co2 when bottling, the same as any other manufacturer.

Thanks for this comment. Did a little extra reading. Turns out San Pellegrino is not naturally sparkling, but Badoit and Perrier are (for example). However, they seem to extract the water and the CO2 separately from the well, then recombine. Interesting, you learn something every day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

dudara wrote:
    Thanks for this comment. Did a little extra reading. Turns out San Pellegrino is not naturally sparkling, but Badoit and Perrier are (for example). However, they seem to extract the water and the CO2 separately from the well, then recombine. Interesting, you learn something every day

Yep, I think Perrier do the same. They extract it and then add it back in when bottling to ensure the gas doesn't affect the taste.

Maybe it'll be a quiz question one day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Take two (soon to be banned) plastic straws, place in flat water and blow really hard in one straw whilst sucking through the other.

Though why anyone would want to end up burping after drinking water is beyond me. I mean seriously why are you buying fizzy water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

fritzelly wrote: »
    Take two (soon to be banned) plastic straws, place in flat water and blow really hard in one straw whilst sucking through the other.

Though why anyone would want to end up burping after drinking water is beyond me. I mean seriously why are you buying fizzy water?

it's for when you get to an age where you can't hack hangovers any more and also no longer crave the super sweet coke/7up etc options but still want some kind of fizzy drink that feels like a refreshing treat.

fizzyness + ice is refreshing but most fizzy drinks are either full of sugar or unpronounceable chemicals or both. hence, sparkling water is the ultimate drink for healthy adulting aka being a dry balls. i never used to like it either. but now im in my late 30s i go hard on the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

Awhhh the good auld soda stream, that takes me back :) but don't they need/use the same gas that's causing this shortage?
    Buy a sodastream OP before it's too late

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    CO2 production is a byproduct of ammonia production. Natural gas is split into ammonia and CO2.
    This isn't the only process used. Coca Cola in Lisburn (Knockmore Hill) use CO2 from an on-site generator. https://www.contourglobal.com/asset/solutions-europe

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/397607061#map=16/54.5082/-6.0928&layers=N

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There was a piece on TV about it last week and the implications of a co2 shortage are much more serious than not being able to get fizzy drinks. Apparently they use it in the form of dry ice to package tissue samples that need to be sent to the lab from hospitals so some important clinical trials on cancer drugs in the UK are potentially going to be halted because they're isn't enough co2 available.

It's only going to last another month or two though. The shortage is caused because most of the co2 we use is a by product of the process of making fertiliser. Fertiliser plants close in the summer but reopen in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

C02 production is back approaching normal levels according to industry reports, however as there was such a shortage that production is being snapped up and premium price is being paid by some food producers esp the meat trade.

That has meant low value items such as low price bottled water and own brand mineral are being affected as priority is given to higher value products.

Its all meant to be back to normal by early August

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

CO2 gas is the same gas that we pay carbon taxes on.

http://www.vrt.ie/vrtDetail.php?page=14

The good news is that right as we speak clever scientists are working on ways to suck this horrendous, climate changing gas out of the atmosphere.

There's far too much there apparently and not enough here.

https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/carbon-sequestration.php

Advertisement