Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My boss forwarded personal details to my colleagues

Options
  • 20-07-2018 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi folks. Won't go in to too much detail. I have access to my boss outlook. It's company policy. Access is granted. I had to take a day off due to personal issues at home. I sent email to my boss outlining why I needed to take day off. He said it was fine,

When I returned to the office, his viewing pane was visible. See he forward my email to 2 staff members. Both are friends of his but same grade as me. One of them replied with a not very nice reply.

What should I do in the situation folks??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Report it too your hr department and go to union and state you want to lodge a grievance, this is a breach of gdpr id say

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Take it to HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

Thanks folks, I'm not in a union.

Can there be repercussions for me as it's in his email? I emphasise, that I do have permission to access his emails.

bobsman wrote: »
    Thanks folks, I'm not in a union.

Can there be repercussions for me as it's in his email? I emphasise, that I do have permission to access his emails.

Well if you have access and are allowed to read his emails, I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Stanford

What was the nature of his referral of your e-mail to colleagues, was it for their info only to say you would be absent?

• Advertisement

The two colleagues in question do not work with me as such. Would make no difference to them if I was absent or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

sexmag wrote: »
    Report it too your hr department and go to union and state you want to lodge a grievance, this is a breach of gdpr id say

How exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I'm not seeing the problem, you emailed your boss saying you'd be out sick, he forwarded it to others.

Did you disclose sensitive info in the email?

If your colleagues have no reporting relationship with you then your boss had no professional reason to e-mail them about your absence, it is a breach of GDPR imo as your boss failed to adequately protect your personal information and had no professional reason to share it with the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    How exactly?

Sharing personal information unnecessarily and without permission is a breach of GDPR.

• Advertisement

Pelvis, it was information which shouldn't have been sent to colleagues (IMO). The main issue is the bitchy response from one of the recipients. I feel the email was sent as a source of salacious gossip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

professore wrote: »
    Sharing personal information unnecessarily and without permission is a breach of GDPR.

What personal information was shared?

Absolutely agree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

OP - You need to report this to HR.

That didn't happen here. At least OP hasn't said anything that would break GDPR.

OP emailed saying they would be out sick. Boss notified people he/she decided needed to know.

Please explain a GDPR breach in this case?

Just one question - do the other people have access to his emails as well, since you mentioned that they're on the same level as you? Because in that case they would be able to read the email anyway.

Rennaws wrote: »
    OP - You need to report this to HR.

I agree, the Data Protection Commission has a standard letter of complaint which should be sent to HR (attached)

Form attached

Mountain & Mole Hill spring to mind here

Pelvis wrote: »
    What personal information was shared?

Regarding an issue with one of my children who is ill.

Not going into detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This would be a breach of protocol for me, and it also sounds like a breach of GDPR. Personal information should only be shared for legitatmite purposes. If your colleagues needed to know you were out, that’s fine, but they should not have been told the specifics of why you were out.

The question is if you want to complain officially, or do you think a quiet word with your boss would be best. He may not realise what he did.

Mountain & Mole Hill spring to mind here

Perhaps but its clearly important to OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

id say bring it to your boss attention and speak to the person who made remark, nothing to do with gdpr as you say you have access they might as well, better to deal with it on personal level and outline next time that its for him only.

Stanford wrote:
    Perhaps but its clearly important to OP

We're still waiting to hear back from OP. Very important detail in the story is who else has access the company emails? It's extremely unlikely that OP is the only one.

scamalert wrote: »
    id say bring it to your boss attention and speak to the person who made remark, nothing to do with gdpr as you say you have access they might as well, better to deal with it on personal level and outline next time that its for him only.

Absolutely not!

This will prejudice any complaint to the Data Commission later if required

We're still waiting to hear back from OP. Very important detail in the story is who else has access the company emails? It's extremely unlikely that OP is the only one.

Access is strictly not the issue here entirely. OP has said about his colleagues

"The two colleagues in question do not work with me as such. Would make no difference to them if I was absent or not"

If so then what is the point in sharing the e-mail with them?

Stanford wrote:
    This will prejudice any complaint to the Data Commission later if required

You are VERY quick to jump on GDPR & data commissioner bandwagon without OP explaining who else in the company has access to the company emails?

Stanford wrote:
    "The two colleagues in question do not work with me as such. Would make no difference to them if I was absent or not"

Says op. His boss might disagree.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions or even offer advice until you have all the facts.
    It may end up being a breach of GDPR but no one can say it is till op gives all of the details

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I doubt GDPR covers a note about sick children.

Either way - I would expect that your boss was informing colleagues that you would be absent. Not the most appropriate way to do it but forwarding emails is fairly standard practice.

It's the response from your colleague I'd be taking exception to.

• Advertisement

You are VERY quick to jump on GDPR & data commissioner bandwagon without OP explaining who else in the company has access to the company emails?

It doesn't matter who has access, it is the company's responsibility to ensure that private correspondence is protected from parties who don't need to see it

Advertisement