Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My boss forwarded personal details to my colleagues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Stanford

givyjoe wrote: »
    Precisely, but that applies to talking to director or HR. So the options or taking action one way or another (boss or HR) or just let it go.

I agree, its time for OP to get off the fence and make his mind up, the longer he leaves it the weaker any complaint will be if thats what he chooses, complain or move on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Did you really have personal issues at home? Do you often take days off like that? Why would three people be talking about you and 2 are peers? Has a reputation developed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Did you really have personal issues at home? Do you often take days off like that? Why would three people be talking about you and 2 are peers? Has a reputation developed?

What difference does any of that make???

I thinks that grossly unfair and over the top, the issue here is the sharing of personal information not OP's personal life or absence history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Wow, victim shaming. You are lovely. It is you problem obviously OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

No. I don't understand. My daughter suffers from a mental illness. Hence the nasty reply from one of the recipients. However, her appointments are conducted around my working hours. Anytime taken has been approved annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

bobsman wrote: »
    No. I don't understand. My daughter suffers from a mental illness. Hence the nasty reply from one of the recipients. However, her appointments are conducted around my working hours. Anytime taken has been approved annual leave.

How are people that nasty. I hope you get this sorted and your daughter is getting better that all can't be easy.

bobsman wrote: »

Your daughters illness is your private business and makes the sharing of information and nasty reply even more offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Your boss is nice enough to let you work from home because of a problem and you have a job and good relationship with him.. Which of these would you like to change in return for your narking and complaint?

Your boss is nice enough to let you work from home because of a problem and you have a job and good relationship with him.. Which of these would you like to change in return for your narking and complaint?

"" let you work from home because of a problem"....where did OP say that?

• Advertisement

How are people that nasty. I hope you get this sorted and your daughter is getting better that all can't be easy.

We are getting there, thanks :o

That's what I don't get. The nastiness. If he called me and said, look it's a bad time, I'm up to my eyes, etc. I'd be okay with that.

I cannot work from home !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

I had a boss once and he had to be specifically told not to share sensitive info or it'd be all over the office. That being said no he shouldn't have forwarded the info but OP with a shared email account I wouldn't have emailed him anything personal either knowing that others can see it. I'm not for a second blaming you here just saying be careful what and how you share personal info with others. Report this to HR, that shared inbox needs to be disabled asap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

givyjoe wrote:
    I see. Anywho, folks suggesting making a big deal about this are absolutely on another planet. Simply talk to the boss and say they saw the emails being forwarded and ask why it was done. No good reason, politely ask for it not to happen again should there be no appropriate reason. A little bit of common sense is needed here, going in guns blazing talking of gdpr etc will not end well for the op.

You & I are obviously from a different generation or planet. I can see why OP would be upset but I totally agree with you. I would definitely deal with it one on one. It's an approach that has stood to me all my life.

Stanford wrote:
    Fair point, perhaps an e-mail to the boss in a non-threatening manner is appropriate without copying HR, it gives the boss time to respond or invite discussion and is on record, the reply will tell a lot assuming that mail is not forwarded also.!!

This is the approach I would take but I'd also make a copy of the original email being shared incase things went pear shaped & the boss deletes the evidence. I always hope for the best & prepare for the worst.

It's normal to ask questions like this. This thread shows one perspective only. For all we know the OP could be the worst performance issue ever and that's why people are emailing about him.

Not saying that's the case, but however unpalatable...it could be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

I’ve read the GDPR. I didn’t see much in there about bosses telling employees who is out or not. Some companies would broadcast that to everybody (in an out of office calendar).

The GPDR is about protecting information of customers , and it’s often has opt out clauses for business or finance necessity.

GDPR is so strict that my employer can't even let other employees know who have annual leave and on what datws so we have to apply and find out if it's allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You & I are obviously from a different generation or planet. I can see why OP would be upset but I totally agree with you. I would definitely deal with it one on one. It's an approach that has stood to me all my life.

Different but similar planets so?!

Sleeper12 wrote: »

I don't think it's just the email being forward,it's the fact it was forward to someone who replied with a snarky remark which implies that the person who received it was comfortable to make that remark meaning it may not be the first time, this would constitute bullying,also the fact these people have no relevance to op shows that there was no need.

sexmag wrote:
    I don't think it's just the email being forward,it's the fact it was forward to someone who replied with a snarky remark which implies that the person who received it was comfortable to make that remark meaning it may not be the first time, this would constitute bullying,also the fact these people have no relevance to op shows that there was no need.

Whoever replied with the smart comments about OPs child is an out & out scumbag. He's a special type of stupid imo. The sad thing is no matter what approach taken this individual won't suffer as far as I know can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

sexmag wrote: »
    GDPR is so strict that my employer can't even let other employees know who have annual leave and on what datws so we have to apply and find out if it's allowed

Exactly what part of the Regulation states this?

TomOnBoard wrote: »

They use this argument

• object to the processing of their data by an organisation in certain circumstances;

http://gdprandyou.ie/gdpr-for-individuals/

And safe garden of personal data, knowing the difference of a person if they are on annual leave or sick leave is personal to some people and don't want it disclosed

Not my call to say to someone if their work schedule is or isn't personal to them so the company just cover their asses

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭timbel

Having read through this thread, it would seem you have 3 options:

Suck it up, say nothing to the boss and be more careful about sharing personal info in the future with him/her

Complain in a quiet fashion to the boss about sharing personal information unnecessarily and ask for it not to happen again

Formal complaint to the boss and cc. HR also.

My take is that with options 2 or 3, you should start looking for another job. The reason I say this is that although the boss has not criticised you in the email, the interaction implies a viewpoint held about you between these 3 people.

While the director may have a strike against him due to Option 3, you could be seen as a troublemaker definitely by him and "off the record" by HR.

With Option 2, the boss may try to engineer you out of the job as you have this held over his head but you would have less proof having never made a formal complaint.

None of this is pleasant, but your boss seems (at best) very unprofessional so may be best to look into moving on.

TomOnBoard wrote:

None. Its people that don't understand GDPR bringing in silly rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

What sort of size is this company you work for? U10 employees, U50, 100s and 1000s?

If it's a big enterprise with multiple layers of management and a HR department etc etc. by all means take it up, if you wish.

If it's a small enterprise, just forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I guarantee that’s a misreading of the intent of GDPR. Remember a week before the implementation the belief of the “experts” was that you have to get consent again via an email. Lots of companies sent out an opt in email and lost customers.

Then that turned out to be nonsense.

As I said the GDPR allows maintaince of information for business reasons. Surely leave falls into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

OP I don't have a view on how you should proceed in this instance. However - I would advise that you get a copy of those emails to keep in the bottom of a drawer at home. You never know when they may be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I guarantee that’s a misreading of the intent of GDPR. Remember a week before the implementation the belief of the “experts” was that you have to get consent again via an email. Lots of companies sent out an opt in email and lost customers.

Then that turned out to be nonsense.

As I said the GDPR allows maintaince of information for business reasons. Surely leave falls into that.
    There may be business reasons for recording absences and for advising colleagues or clients the OP would interact with of the OP's absence.

I can see no business reason for sharing the reason for the OP's absence with any third party, especially when that appears to relate to medical information regarding the OP's daughter.

In almost any place I worked it would be done by setting up an out of office status in your calendar, email or group collaboration tool. There is no need to share the reason for the absence.

Even a medical certificate does not need to state the reason, only (non) fitness for work for the duration of the certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

There may be business reasons for recording absences and for advising colleagues or clients the OP would interact with of the OP's absence.

I can see no business reason for sharing the reason for the OP's absence with any third party, especially when that appears to relate to medical information regarding the OP's daughter.

In almost any place I worked it would be done by setting up an out of office status in your calendar, email or group collaboration tool. There is no need to share the reason for the absence.

Even a medical certificate does not need to state the reason, only (non) fitness for work for the duration of the certificate.

I think he was referring to the annual point someone else made.

• Advertisement

We have a spreadsheet where we can see the entire departments holidays

Advertisement