Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Community - Renting Property on behalf of their staff

Options
  • 20-07-2018 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there, I'm advertising a rental property at the moment and the Simon Community have advised that they are interested in renting the house on the basis that they would house nurses that work for them there. They would cover rent, bills and maintenance of the property.
    Does anyone have any experience renting a property to the Simon Community? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I don't have experience of renting to them but I have experience of corporate letting where the company lied through their teeth about the number of employees and the type of employees. My advice would be only too rent to tenants you can meet and vet directly

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What would stop them housing a family in the house after a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

the_syco wrote: »

A clause in the lease banning subletting?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

padd b1975 wrote: »
    the_syco wrote: »

Is it subletting if there is no rent being paid by the tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The SC wants to let it out to random people that wouldn't be on the lease; they gave the example of nurses. If they move in a family; the family would also be random people not on the lease. The family wouldn't be paying the rent; the SC would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

I would not rent to a homeless charity unless i was doing to be charitable and willing to accept a higher risk.
    You will have to contact you insurance company as this letting carries a higher premium the same applies to RA tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

rossmores wrote: »
    I would not rent to a homeless charity unless i was doing to be charitable and willing to accept a higher risk.
    You will have to contact you insurance company as this letting carries a higher premium the same applies to RA tenants
    Totally second this. The OP is asking for trouble and taking a massive risk. SC is well known to be very anti-landlord and supported all sorts of actions and legislation against landlords. This thread actually shows the hypocrisy of SC: screaming against landlords in the public space and then asking for accommodation. As it was said before they might just use this strategy to put inside the OP house some of their homeless and the OP will have no control over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does the Simon Community even employ nurses - and ones who don't have their own accommodation already?

Either they're planning to run a health clinic there (hello planning condition issue) or they're lying to get some hard to house people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

We had Simon housing people in our complex. It didn't go well, but they were upfront about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

We had Simon housing people in our complex. It didn't go well, but they were upfront about it.

Were they housing staff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Graham wrote: »
    Were they housing staff?

No sorry to clarify they were housing 'recovering' alcoholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ymck1980

Mrs OBumble;107576088Does the Simon Community even employ nurses  - and ones who don't have their own accommodation already?

Either they're planning to run a health clinic there  (hello planning condition issue) or they're lying to get some hard to house people
    Apparently they have nurses that work in their unit in Dublin 9 - high dependency and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ymck1980

Thanks all for your comments. I think I'll go with my gut on this one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Either they're planning to run a health clinic there (hello planning condition issue) or they're lying to get some hard to house people in.

You don't need planning to house nurses
    ymck1980 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your comments. I think I'll go with my gut on this one.

If it were me, I'd have a chat with them. Tell them what my concerns were and see what they say.

Maybe even ask to speak to one of their existing landlords.

Advertisement