Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Ravens @Steelers pushed back to Wednesday night now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ravens @Steelers pushed back to Wednesday night now

The shortest of short weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Also, the decision to give Jalen hurts more snaps in MNF tonight came from the owner according to reports from Philadelphia.

The shortest of short weeks

Ravens had no positives today which is good. I could be wrong but I expect this is partly to buy the Ravens an extra day to get a few guys back. I expect they’ll announce a few players coming off the list tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Scheduled for 3:40PM on Wednesday so nice evening game for us here to watch.

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Scheduled for 3:40PM on Wednesday so nice evening game for us here to watch.

Was looking for the game time thanks. Very odd time to schedule it. Thought it’d be 8pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's a cracking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Was looking for the game time thanks. Very odd time to schedule it. Thought it’d be 8pm

Presume it is because NBC have a big Christmas tree lighting show on that night so couldn't move (despite how many more viewers the game would get)

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Presume it is because NBC have a big Christmas tree lighting show on that night so couldn't move (despite how many more viewers the game would get)

Yeah saw that on Twitter

Ravens will have Dobbins and Ingram back off the Covid list so presumably that’s the rationale for pushing back to Wednesday. League trying to give them a punchers chance, but you’d have to imagine that they are missing far too many players to make it competitive.

Their game the following week v Dallas has been moved to Tuesday, coincidentally the day Lamar becomes eligible to come off the Covid 19 list. I don’t mind that at all, but it’s ridiculous quite frankly that they made the Broncos play without a QB on Sunday if they are going to bend over backwards and sideways for another team. It’s blatant favouritism. There is no reason to move that game to Tuesday other than to ensure Lamar is eligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Their game the following week v Dallas has been moved to Tuesday, coincidentally the day Lamar becomes eligible to come off the Covid 19 list. I don’t mind that at all, but it’s ridiculous quite frankly that they made the Broncos play without a QB on Sunday if they are going to bend over backwards and sideways for another team. It’s blatant favouritism. There is no reason to move that game to Tuesday other than to ensure Lamar is eligible.
    The answer usually is in the TV schedule, they're in negotiations with NFL at the moment so NFL is trying to keep them sweet. Cowboys are a big ratings puller, Fox wants their primetime game. Tuesday gives them that

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The answer usually is in the TV schedule, they're in negotiations with NFL at the moment so NFL is trying to keep them sweet. Cowboys are a big ratings puller, Fox wants their primetime game. Tuesday gives them that

Fair point. It’s convenient for the Ravens that they get several guys (including Lamar) back that day though.

The move to Wednesday this week looks to be purely to accommodate players coming off the Covid protocol because there is no TV schedule clash. At the very least there is a lack of transparency in some of these decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Fair point. It’s convenient for the Ravens that they get several guys (including Lamar) back that day though.

The move to Wednesday this week looks to be purely to accommodate players coming off the Covid protocol because there is no TV schedule clash. At the very least there is a lack of transparency in some of these decisions.

EDIT: Thought you were saying there was no TV clash Wednesday but can see you meant Tuesday now, oops!

There is a TV clash. NBC have committed to broadcasting the Rockefeller Christmas Tree lights being turned on. That is scheduled for 8pm. Theres no way either NFL or broadcaster want to put on a game in the middle of the afternoon when most of the audience is still at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I see there are rumours that Fangio will get the chop in Denver. There'll definitely be no shortage of suitors to take him on as defensive coordinator, but I was thinking would Denver be better demoting him from head coach to DC instead? That got me thinking do coaches always get sacked, or are there any cases where one was demoted instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Two more Ravens positive back to 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Rugby players looking for a few quid off the back of the nfl lawsuits. I read a few years ago, that it was Dr Bennett Omalu who discovered a link between head injury and concussion causing brain injuries. I have just discovered that if you stand in the rain you will get wet. Some spoofing going on with these fellows, there is a man on RTRadio now talking about it and one of the first things out of his mouth was mental health, their mental health has suffered by getting flattened by a 20 stone goon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Rugby players looking for a few quid off the back of the nfl lawsuits. I read a few years ago, that it was Dr Bennett Omalu who discovered a link between head injury and concussion causing brain injuries. I have just discovered that if you stand in the rain you will get wet. Some spoofing going on with these fellows, there is a man on RTRadio now talking about it and one of the first things out of his mouth was mental health, their mental health has suffered by getting flattened by a 20 stone goon

Biggest issue in rugby was players for years were clearly concussed and were told to play on. Players were also injured, pumped with drugs and forced to play on. These issues are now starting to affect their lives after rugby.

A big problem is those issues are still occurring despite the knowledge that is now out there.

Wouldn’t blame the Rugby lads for looking for compensation if they are having genuine medical / mental health issues

It reminds me of a story about the great Brian Clough when the team doctor told him that one of his player was concussed and couldn’t remember his own name to which Clough replied, “Tell him he’s Pele and get him back out there!!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It's not looking for a few quid off nfl.

If you were in your job and for years took blows to the head and you had effects you'd want compo especially with your job ignoring any brain injuries.

Rugby players knew at the time their bodies would break down, not their brains.

These days any nfl, rugby, fighter etc knows the risks, but boys back then didn't.

I remember playing under 18s rugby, taking a knee to the head, got up to walk it off, fell over 2 steps later. Didn't get checked just came off as I got my bell rung.

Now imagine how often that happens in a professional career

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

The last playoff spot in the AFC is really going to go down to the wire.

You would expect that the Ravens should win out (vs Jaguars, vs Giants, @ Bengals) but given the COVID outbreaks that they've already suffered, if there was to be another outbreak their prospects would obviously change in an instant - as it would for any team of course.

Dolphins hold the tiebreaker over the Ravens based on their conference record and play vs Patriots, @ Raiders and @ Bills, so it's in their own hands and if they win out, they're in.

The Raiders are of course in with a shout too and play vs Chargers, vs Dolphins and @ Broncos.

The week 16 matchup between the Dolphins and Raiders could be massive.

Ultimately I think the Dolphins will lose at least one of those games and the Ravens will win out and sneak in unless there's another big COVID outbreak which takes out starters. You couldn't rule out the Browns or Colts being leapfrogged from the 5th and 6th wildcard spots either.

An interesting couple of weeks ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If every game ended at the half, the Falcons would be 9-5-1.

• Advertisement

Haskins cut. I'd be surprised if he's ever on a main roster again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Erra he has a chance of being a cheap back up but doubt he'll be a starter

Haskins cut. I'd be surprised if he's ever on a main roster again.

It’s a issue of his own making in a way. I get that he’s a young guy but he didn’t help himself with things he was doing off the field. I said in a way because did the team try and help him ? If they didn’t then it would be very football team to make a balls of it.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Erra he has a chance of being a cheap back up but doubt he'll be a starter

The off field stuff is a red flag and the fact that Washington were happy to eat the contract while still in contention says a lot.

We'll see if he's claimed off waivers but I would be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It’s a issue of his own making in a way. I get that he’s a young guy but he didn’t help himself with things he was doing off the field. I said in a way because did the team try and help him ? If they didn’t then it would be very football team to make a balls of it.

They definitely didn't. When they benched him first they gave him one game to prove himself against the Ravens. He played the best game of his career against one of the top defenses. It just seems like a bad look to me. Either drop him or keep him. Saying we will keep you if you magically turn into an elite qb in one game is weird for me.

Still he doesn't seem to have helped himself either. I think he would need to show a bit more maturity to stay in the league long term. I presume a few teams will take a look at him. It seems like he is worth a look but would have little expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The off field stuff is a red flag and the fact that Washington were happy to eat the contract while still in contention says a lot.

We'll see if he's claimed off waivers but I would be surprised.

Maybe not this year but some team will take a chance on him down the road

Talent usually gets you many chances

but sure we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Christy42 wrote: »
    They definitely didn't. When they benched him first they gave him one game to prove himself against the Ravens. He played the best game of his career against one of the top defenses. It just seems like a bad look to me. Either drop him or keep him. Saying we will keep you if you magically turn into an elite qb in one game is weird for me.

Still he doesn't seem to have helped himself either. I think he would need to show a bit more maturity to stay in the league long term. I presume a few teams will take a look at him. It seems like he is worth a look but would have little expectations.

Yeah, it was a terrible situation for him to go to. There were leaks from day 1 that the coach didn't want him and the place is still extremely dysfunctional with Ron giving mixed signals about him all last offseason and as the season progressed. The supporting cast for their offense is quite pitiful as well.

For some players getting drafted to their home team is a disaster waiting to happen and it seems to be the case here. Some players need to be taken away from bad influences, whereas here he went from being sheltered in college to being dropped back home with a ton of money and fame.

I'd be surprised if he didnt end up on another team on a short term backup type deal and he'll rightfully have deal with wearing this mark against him for a long time to come. If he has options hopefully he takes an option of a strong coach, locker room, supporting offense cast and a scheme that suits him over more money or weaker QB competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Foxtrol wrote: »

For some players getting drafted to their home team is a disaster waiting to happen and it seems to be the case here. Some players need to be taken away from bad influences, whereas here he went from being sheltered in college to being dropped back home with a ton of money and fame.

n.

Didn't Haskins grow up a Giants fan?

Edit: maybe I should Google these things before posting... He was born in Jersey and is a Giants fan but grew up in Maryland. My bad.

I’ll be honest lads in august of last year(I’m happy to be saying that) I didn’t think we’d get a full regular season but here we are. So happy new year to all the people who make this forum as good as it is. And I include the cowboys, giants, and football team fans in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I’ll be honest lads in august of last year(I’m happy to be saying that) I didn’t think we’d get a full regular season but here we are. So happy new year to all the people who make this forum as good as it is. And I include the cowboys, giants, and football team fans in that.

I echo that sentiment but replace your NFCE rivals with Pats fans :D

Happy new year lads! Here's to 2021 being an absolute cracker to make up for that absolute gowl of a year!

And here's to Week 17 seeing me win my fúckin' pick em league with my mates! A win ahead with a week to go... I can't fu8k it up from here surely...

537858.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Maybe ive gone mad but im tempted to back the Bills to win it all. Very good D and potent O.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

madalig12 wrote: »
    Maybe ive gone mad but im tempted to back the Bills to win it all. Very good D and potent O.

Of all the serious contenders remaining that would be the one a neutral would be most excited about. Would be amazing given the lack of success they've had for the last few decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Bills have been irrelevant as long as I've been watching the NFL (2 decades) but I've always had a soft spot for them. Like most here, before gamepass we'd be glued to Sky for the NFL every week and Kevin Cadle loved his Bills no matter how bad they were. It's a shame he didn't live long enough to see them now.

I'd love to see them win it all.

Of all the serious contenders remaining that would be the one a neutral would be most excited about. Would be amazing given the lack of success they've had for the last few decades.

I’m the same because I'd hate for the four Super Bowls in a row to be the main thing people remember of them. I know they were only competitive in one of the four but still. I know I support an NFC and old NFL team in the eagles(who won’t be in the playoffs) but because I’ve read up and watched anything and everything in the history of American football, I have a fondness for the old AFL which became the AFC and that includes the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I love McDermott, the Bills and really appreciate the story. That said, I find myself rooting against them most games as I really believed Allen was a bust. I hate being so chronically wrong.

• Advertisement

The Cleveland browns have been notified there is a positive Covid test and are doing contact tracing. They play the Steelers tomorrow.

The Cleveland browns have been notified there is a positive Covid test and are doing contact tracing. They play the Steelers tomorrow.

It’s a member of their coaching staff apparently. Hopefully game is ok to go ahead, big playoff implications for the Browns. They need a win for their first playoff appearance in 17 years!

The saints now won’t have any of the RBs available for tomorrow due to Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Kellen Moore signs a three year extension in Dallas. Very surprised by that. Boise State job was his for the taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Tony Romo out for the final week - he was down for the Cardinals Rams game. Boomer subbing in.
    Hopefully back for the playoffs.
    https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2021/01/02/tony-romo-miss-sunday-broadcast-covid-protocols/4115640001/

• Advertisement

Black Monday firings

General Mangers

Head Coaches

Adam Gase - Jets
    Doug Marrone - Jaguars

Offensive coordinator

Defensive coordinator

Add as news comes in folks

Saleh and Bienemey interviewing for the Falcons job
    John Schneider interviewing for Lions GM role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

brinty wrote: »
    John Schneider interviewing for Lions GM role

He's not. The story is that they are interested in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Salah, Bienemy and Bevell all interviewing for Lions HC this week.

Rick Smith, Scott Pioli, Marvin Lewis, louis Riddick and Thomas Dimitrioff have already interviewed for GM during the season along with three internal candidates. Also have confirmed upcoming interviews with Terry Fontenet (Saints) and Brad Holmes (Rams).

I see that Sam darnold is saying he didn’t play consistently enough to save Adam gases job. Now okay he didn’t play great but why is he going out of his way to put more blame on himself then his former head coach who was a walking disaster ? Adam gase did far more damage to Sam darnold because he’s not a good head coach and that’s reflected in former players saying so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

I see that Sam darnold is saying he didn’t play consistently enough to save Adam gases job. Now okay he didn’t play great but why is he going out of his way to put more blame on himself then his former head coach who was a walking disaster ? Adam gase did far more damage to Sam darnold because he’s not a good head coach and that’s reflected in former players saying so.

Enough people will be fighting for Darnold. He can look humble and willing to get better for any new potential coach. He is definitely not guaranteed a job in the future (not all his fault but still his problem). Probably helps endear him to a new coach that he won't throw them under a bus while everyone else can put forward the case that he is better than Gase showed.

Aaron Rodgers touchdown passes - 48
    JK Scott punts - 46

And Davante Adams caught more touchdown passes (18) than Mason Crosby had field goal attempts (16).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

madalig12 wrote: »

I hope they go on to do it myself. Very strong all round side

brinty wrote: »
    Black Monday firings

General Mangers

Head Coaches

Adam Gase - Jets
    Doug Marrone - Jaguars

Offensive coordinator

Defensive coordinator

Jim Schwartz - Dirt Birds - Retiring

Add as news comes in folks

Saleh and Bienemey interviewing for the Falcons job
    Saleh, Bienemey and Bevell interviewing for the Lions job
    John Schneider potential candidate for Lions GM role

Updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

He's very 'nice' in general and is probably all-in on that line now, if he came out today and said Gase was muck it would look strange. Being seen as a company man willing to take responsibility suits him more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

There are 5 teams I think can do it: Chiefs, Packers, Bills, Saints and maybe Bucs. The rest I don't really fancy at all. Can't believe Seattle are 13/1.

Titans - Ravens and Bills - Colts are the picks from the Wildcard round IMO.

Outside bet would be the Colts but I just don't see it happening for them. Would be nice for Rivers to get a ring.

Steelers Browns should be interesting considering the Browns struggled to get past Steelers 2nd string.

• Advertisement
Advertisement