Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

as a pats/TB fan I'm hoping the bucs win it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

brinty wrote: »
    Black Monday firings

General Mangers

Head Coaches

Adam Gase - Jets
    Doug Marrone - Jaguars
    Anthony Lynn - Chargers

Lions, Falcons and Texans currently with Interim head coaches

Offensive coordinators

Defenisve coordinators
    Jim Schwartz - Dirt Birds - Retiring

Add as news comes in folks

Saleh and Bienemey interviewing for the Falcons job
    Saleh, Bienemey and Bevell interviewing for the Lions job
    John Schneider potential candidate for Lions GM role

Updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Anthony Lynn was a mild surprise, team were playing hard and Herbert seemed to have a good relationship with him. Had the most 1 score losses over last 2 seasons probably done him in

paulie21 wrote: »
    Anthony Lynn was a mild surprise, team were playing hard and Herbert seemed to have a good relationship with him. Had the most 1 score losses over last 2 seasons probably done him in

Tom Herman had the same thing over a 4 year period at Texas. If GM doesn't think Lynn can get it done then its time to move on like the Longhorns did at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

paulie21 wrote: »

I really like Lynn but he played more than his part in a few of those tight losses.

What really did him in I'd say was how he dealt with Herbert initially. First holding him back, then saying that they weren't going to stick with him, and then focusing on the run so much.

I'm not sure where Lynn goes from here though, quite a step back to go from HC back to RB coach, he doesn't really have a skillset for OC. He can possibly sit around and wait for a call from a franchise that is looking for a 'safe' pick at HC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Big news out of Denver - John Elway is moving 'up' and Denver will hire a new GM.

'Russell me up another drink' is retiring (thank f*ck and only 10 years too late)

Looks like Elway is lining up an ownership move - the Ellis Trust will have to appoint Brittney Bowlen as owner or sell the team in the next 12 months (and Brittney Bowlen will not be sanctioned by the other owners).

Word is that the Broncos are lining up Adam Peters 49ers VP of Player Personnel as the new GM - Peters spent 8 years with the Broncos as director of college scouting before joining the 49ers 3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Big news out of Denver - John Elway is moving 'up' and Denver will hire a new GM.

'Russell me up another drink' is retiring (thank f*ck and only 10 years too late)

Looks like Elway is lining up an ownership move - the Ellis Trust will have to appoint Brittney Bowlen as owner or sell the team in the next 12 months (and Brittney Bowlen will not be sanctioned by the other owners).

Word is that the Broncos are lining up Adam Peters 49ers VP of Player Personnel as the new GM - Peters spent 8 years with the Broncos as director of college scouting before joining the 49ers 3 years ago.

When those nortifiations came through from the NFL and the Athletic I yelped! Thank Christ!

Elway getting out of that role was long overdue but hard to know whether it is an actual change or just smoke and mirrors for the fans. Many 49ers fans have actually been hoping for Lynch to make a similar move upwards and put Peters in as GM.

Like we've discussed when it came to the Broncos wanting to sign Shanahan, I'm not sure how attractive they are with Elway still hanging around and likely sticking his oar in on every decision, if not still straight up making them. Aside from title it doesn't seem like too much of an improvement on his current job and even a step down when it comes to the quality of coaching and recent organisation performance.

Now the Panthers have apparently requested an interview with Peters, who has previously worked with Rhule. Their owner has shown he will move mountains to get their guy and do everything to support them. Peters to Broncos might happen but I don't think it is as easy as Broncos saying they want it and it happening.

Good infographic of the open HC jobs and what a coach will have to play with cap an picks.

When you take into account the team it looks like the Chargers are the most attractive option, with the minor downside being signing up to compete with Mahomes for the foreseeable future and a weak fan base.

Jags seemed like a great spot if the GM is good but the quote from Khan yesterday that he is keeping full roster control means you may struggle to have any say.

Somewhat under the radar good spot could be Falcons once they aren't expecting instant success. The owner seems great, they have an early draft pick to either get a top QB or flip for picks, and a decent core of players to build from.

https://twitter.com/RealTannenbaum/status/1346178134140452866?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

HC Kevin Stefanski will not be coaching this weekend due to Covid-19 infection. First playoff game in 18 years and then this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The 15 modern finalists for the 2021 pro football hall of fame(the 2020 class didn’t get an induction ceremony but still are in I think) are being announced.

Right so the fifteen modern day finalists are listed below but on the selection day before the super bowl the fifteen get reduced to 10 and then five for enshrinement. You’d have to think Peyton manning and Charles woodson are locks.

peyton manning(first year),
    reggie Wayne,
    Calvin Johnson(first year),
    Tory holt,
    Charles Woodson(first year),
    John lynch,
    ronde barber,
    Leroy butler,
    Jared Allen(first year),
    Richard Seymour,
    clay Mathews,
    Sam mills,
    Zach Thomas,
    Alan faneca,
    Tony Boselli,
    Bill Nunn(contributor).

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Elway getting out of that role was long overdue but hard to know whether it is an actual change or just smoke and mirrors for the fans. Many 49ers fans have actually been hoping for Lynch to make a similar move upwards and put Peters in as GM.
    Apparently the 49ers have already doubled the salary Peters was on in an effort to hang onto him

Can't see Lynch moving anywhere though - he has proven to be decent at the job.
    Like we've discussed when it came to the Broncos wanting to sign Shanahan, I'm not sure how attractive they are with Elway still hanging around and likely sticking his oar in on every decision, if not still straight up making them. Aside from title it doesn't seem like too much of an improvement on his current job and even a step down when it comes to the quality of coaching and recent organisation performance.
    That is a good question - and Elway has repeatedly stressed in several interviews that the GM will have total control over the roster and the hiring and firing of coaches.

I suspect that this move could have more to do with Elway positioning for the expected ownership change this year.
    Now the Panthers have apparently requested an interview with Peters, who has previously worked with Rhule. Their owner has shown he will move mountains to get their guy and do everything to support them. Peters to Broncos might happen but I don't think it is as easy as Broncos saying they want it and it happening.
    Peters is one of the top candidates available and will likely have multiple job offers.

The Broncos have already scheduled an interview with Champ Kelly of the Bears (who is also due to interview with the Panthers).

One thing the Broncos have going for them with both Peters and Kelly is that they each previously spent 8/9 years working for the Broncos (as did the other prominently touted candidate John Spytek of the Bucs who worked under Elway for 3 years).

Who do you want JRG?

Who do you want JRG?

My preference would be Peters - but I think they will hire Kelly.

Just announced a short time ago that Joe Ellis will not be seeking a new contract after 2021 - clear indication that the Broncos will be sold this year.

• Advertisement

Just announced a short time ago that Joe Ellis will not be seeking a new contract after 2021 - clear indication that the Broncos will be sold this year.

Cmon Peyton!

Two years ago yesterday the eagles were playing the bears in solider field and a year ago Tuesday just gone the eagles lost to the Seahawk. It’s nearly three years since the eagles beat the patriots in the super bowl. It didn’t take long for it to all go to **** and end up 4-11-1 and being a mess.

Jim Schwartz has stepped down as DC of the eagles. This wasn’t really a surprise but it’s official.

Denver Broncos

Champ Kelly, Bears assistant director of player personnel -- requested
    George Paton, Vikings assistant general manager and VP of player personnel -- requested
    Davie Ziegler, Patriots assistant director of player personnel -- requested

Full list here:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-coaching-gm-tracker-latest-news-interviews-developments-in-2021-hiring-cycle

I pray for the wellbeing of Nick Caserio taking on that Texans GM job. Eesh.

Mike Nolan done as the DC of big D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Filed under weird the Ravens will have 2 punters on their roster

Best punter in the league Sam Koch had to miss time due to Covid restrictions so the Ravens signed John Townsend from the Chiefs practice squad

When a player is signed off a practice squad they are guaranteed at least 3 weeks on the 53 man roster. It is a good rule I think as players take a risk leaving a team to go to a new team. 3 weeks gives them game cheques and a shot to make an impression

Townsend has his guaranteed weeks and the Ravens carry 2 punters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Oat23 wrote: »

Not surprised really. It was a poor season and then whatever he was up to benching Jalen hurts which seriously pissed off the locker room. Howie roseman should be out as well. There was a pair of them in it who took a super bowl winning team and made an utter balls of it.

Was just coming in to say pederson is gone. Someone beat me to it

Guess they're hoping a new HC can resurrect project Wentz.

As a Cowboys fan, the longer they keep wentz the better. Then again they'll say the same about Dak, but don't forget Wentz was #2 overall, Dak was a fourth round compensatory pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not surprised really. It was a poor season and then whatever he was up to benching Jalen hurts which seriously pissed off the locker room. Howie roseman should be out as well. There was a pair of them in it who took a super bowl winning team and made an utter balls of it.

I thought he was 1000% safe after the way the Eagles threw the last game. That was coaching like you know your job is safe, and maybe he thought it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Oat23 wrote: »

The smartest man in the room just got himself fired lol

Bloody fool being so public with tanking in the giants game

If it is just Doug gone it must be a play to make Wentz work - sunk cost fallacy at play.

Given their dire cap position it looks like they'll have huge turnover and rebuild this coming year so they should be looking to move on from Roseman too, unless they believe they are going to stick with him for a few more years no matter what happens.

We've seen it over and over that brining in a coach with a GM on their last legs normally means a disaster the following year and either both gone or the coach hanging on but not being the GM's guy and losing credibility.

Hadn't seen this before I posted. My god that man is deluded. If you're going to leak something make sure it isn't going to make you look like a complete ass.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1348710410594222082?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Urban Meyer in at Jacksonville.
    Robert Saleh in at New York.

Hadn't seen this before I posted. My god that man is deluded. If you're going to leak something make sure it isn't going to make you look like a complete ass.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1348710410594222082?s=20

After reading more and more about the Eagles sitch, I'm coming down on the side of Pederson v Howie.

Hard to believe they're 3 years removed from a SB win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Not going to pretend I know anything about Saleh, or any of the other HC candidates.
    But at last I dont have the impending sense of doom I had after the Gase hiring!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

phatkev wrote: »
    Not going to pretend I know anything about Saleh, or any of the other HC candidates.
    But at last I dont have the impending sense of doom I had after the Gase hiring!!

He's bringing Mike LaFleur with him as OC so expect to see similar offensive and defensive schemes to what was run in San Francisco the last few years.

Urban Meyer in at Jacksonville.

I can't hate more that Meyer signing. The guy has built toxic cultures where he has been and top it off with repeatedly quitting when times looked tough (claiming illness and family time). Not the type of person you want when building up a 1 win team.

If the rumours of Baalke being promoted to GM are true it could end up being a complete disaster there. Ignoring his love of players with serious knee injuries, Baalke was a sieve for leaking anti-coach gossip to the media and constantly being in the owner's ear.

Love this signing for both sides. I went into a lot of detail why in the Jets' thread. Appreciate the two 3rd round picks the NFL will give us and despite how the Jets will likely pilfer our FAs, it'll be nice to have an east coast AFC team to root for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Least surprising headline of 2021:

Josh Gordon Suspended Indefinitely After Reinstatement Rescinded

A bit more surprising :

Von Miller Under Criminal Investigation in Colorado

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The Texans are a real mess at the moment. Caserio has a real job on his hands to turn them around, and with little draft capital too. Can't see them being first choice for a wanted HC candidate either.

Another SI article on them today: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

I can't believe yet that it will come to a point where Watson will be traded, but it doesn't seem unthinkable right now either, which is crazy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    The Texans are a real mess at the moment. Caserio has a real job on his hands to turn them around, and with little draft capital too. Can't see them being first choice for a wanted HC candidate either.

Another SI article on them today: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

I can't believe yet that it will come to a point where Watson will be traded, but it doesn't seem unthinkable right now either, which is crazy really.

It’s crazy, you’d think getting rid of Bill O’Brien might be the start of something positive for them but it’s actually getting worse. I don’t blame Watson for being disillusioned with the whole thing.
    Horrible mismanagement of resources top to bottom for years.

Josh McDaniels set to be interviewed by the Eagles.

Christ.

https://theathletic.com/news/eagles-josh-mcdaniels-patriots-coach-news/lAD1EIPjXJsE

Josh McDaniels set to be interviewed by the Eagles.

Christ.

https://theathletic.com/news/eagles-josh-mcdaniels-patriots-coach-news/lAD1EIPjXJsE

That's when you really know you're in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I imagine Eagles candidate who even hints at starting Hurst over Wentz will get a swift "thanks, but no thanks".

It's gonna be gas when Wentz ends up at the Colts anyway.

Also, the Texans mire is continuing to get worse and worse. I don't feel so bad as a Broncos fan these days.

I wouldn't be a fan of mcdaniels but he beats the **** out of those bloody adam base rumors I keep getting sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

I wouldn't be a fan of mcdaniels but he beats the **** out of those bloody adam base rumors I keep getting sent

I wouldnt wish him or Adam Gase on any team in the NFL!No fan should have to go through that

phatkev wrote: »
    I wouldnt wish him or Adam Gase on any team in the NFL!No fan should have to go through that

Would cause riots in Philly can't see how a team could justify it.

Rioting fans won't want to hear it but it may get to the beggars cant be choosers point. They aren't an attractive location to land for top HC talent - very bad cap position, aging team, GM looking like he could be in trouble, QB room mess, locker room issues, demanding fan base...

• Advertisement

So absolutely nothing new with philly

Rioting fans won't want to hear it but it may get to the beggars cant be choosers point. They aren't an attractive location to land for top HC talent - very bad cap position, aging team, GM looking like he could be in trouble, QB room mess, locker room issues, demanding fan base...

Yera there's 32 teams in the league you can do better than adam gase

Much like the nomadic steppe people's there only an issue when they unite against a common foe

Funny.

If josh McDaniels hadn’t shafted the Colts than frank reich would have still been in philly and it’s hard to predict what would have happened but it was clear reich and wentz had a connection. In my years supporting the eagles this may be the most challenging off season they’ll have. More than one issue to solve. Howie roseman should have been fired with Doug but Jeff Lurie likes him it seems.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    In my years supporting the eagles this may be the most challenging off season they’ll have. More than one issue to solve. Howie roseman should have been fired with Doug but Jeff Lurie likes him it seems.

I have to agree with this. Eagles are in cap hell, with very few realistic options to get out. They're hugely over the reduced cap already. There's barely anyone they can cut that gives them enough cash saving. Wentz is decision that has to be made. They're in the place to get a QB in this draft to replace Wentz and Hurts but who's going to take wentz and his contract. Reich might but the Eagles would have to send high picks with Wentz for colts to take his contract.

It's glorious to see this all crumble

• Advertisement
Advertisement