Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Watson is reeking of Antonio Brown syndrome. I'm a steelers fan and I can see this coming a mile away. It's not gonna be pretty.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I disagree, he's inconsistent. I've noticed he's been poor in tight games when it matters many times.
    Who of Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Allen and Wilson have you him ahead of?

I mean 4 of them are hall of famers man if that's the conversation your having then he's an excellent qb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I mean 4 of them are hall of famers man if that's the conversation your having then he's an excellent qb

He said he was top 5. I'm just asking which of them he thinks Watson is better than.
    Personally I'd have all of them and then Jackson, Tannehill, Prescott, Stafford, Carr and then the two rookies Burrow and Herbert ahead of him.
    I'll just add that I was a big fan of his coming into the league and thought he'd be top notch. There's always the possibility that some of his questionable play is down to plays being called from the sideline and coaching in general but to this point he's been very average for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I disagree, he's inconsistent. I've noticed he's been poor in tight games when it matters many times.
    Who of Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Allen and Wilson have you him ahead of?

Let's look at weapons available for said qbs.
    Tyreek hill, lev Bell, kelce, Watkins, Clyde eleire
    Brady has always had a couple of playmakers as well as a seller d. And this year look at his team.
    Jarred Allen this year got stefon diggs look at his numbers this year compared to last year.
    Rodgers has the other to Aaron's, and got a te again finally, also some wrs than can seriously spread the field.
    Wilson since he lost the legion of boom hasn't been as amazing but no o line but still got metcalf and his other wr that name escapes me atm.

Now look at Watsons numbers with and without Hopkins.

Every amazing qb needs support or he looks dirt.
    There's a reason Brady chose tampa. Chris godwin and Mike Evans and knew he would get others to follow on team friendly deals

He said he was top 5. I'm just asking which of them he thinks Watson is better than.
    Personally I'd have all of them and then Jackson, Tannehill, Prescott, Stafford, Carr and then the two rookies Burrow and Herbert ahead of him.
    I'll just add that I was a big fan of his coming into the league and thought he'd be top notch. There's always the possibility that some of his questionable play is down to plays being called from the sideline and coaching in general but to this point he's been very average for me.

Ah here tannehil, carr in particular you can't be serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Derek Carr.....that's certainly interesting.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Mike Sando in the Athletic does a survey of 50 coaches and GM’s every year where they rank the top QB’s in the league. Before the season year they ranked the top 5

Mahomes
    Wilson
    Rodgers
    Brees
    Watson

I don’t think that is far off. Obviously Tom Brady is a glaring omission and should be in there but he was coming off a relatively poor season last year and it’s a here and now list rather than a lifetime achievement list.

Haven’t watched that much of Watson but any time I’ve seen him he had been very impressive. I’d certainly have him in the top 5 in football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Mahomes and Rodgers are the best two, comfortably in my view. I would have Watson with Wilson vying for top 3. Both marginally ahead of Brady and Allen. If we are critical of Watson in big games, for me it's no more marked than Allen or Lamar.

Carr is miles off Top 10.

Brady is obviously the GOAT, but at the moment, a step off Watson and Russ, in my view. But still a savage player.

D9Male wrote: »
    Mahomes and Rodgers are the best two, comfortably in my view. I would have Watson with Wilson vying for top 3. Both marginally ahead of Brady and Allen. If we are critical of Watson in big games, for me it's no more marked than Allen or Lamar.

Brady is obviously the GOAT, but at the moment, a step off Watson and Russ, in my view. But still a savage player.

Allen is an interesting one, this season was awesome but it was so far ahead of anything he has done in the past you’d have to wonder if it’s sustainable. A lot of things went right for him and for the Bills, they were very lucky with injuries and Diggs having his best year ever etc. Allen is definitely right up there based on this season however

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote:

If you think this then I think you really don't know what you are talking about.

Allen is an interesting one, this season was awesome but it was so far ahead of anything he has done in the past you’d have to wonder if it’s sustainable. A lot of things went right for him and for the Bills, they were very lucky with injuries and Diggs having his best year ever etc. Allen is definitely right up there based on this season however
    Diggs had his best year because of who was throwing him the football.
    It was clear in 2019 that Allen was going to be a star. They put the pieces around him and he improved.
    They still to.improve the offensive line a bit and if they do I think he'll win a couple of MVP awards.
    I'd have him as second to Rodgers only this past season.

Diggs had his best year because of who was throwing him the football.
    It was clear in 2019 that Allen was going to be a star. They put the pieces around him and he improved.
    They still to.improve the offensive line a bit and if they do I think he'll win a couple of MVP awards.
    I'd have him as second to Rodgers only this past season.

I think it was a bit of both, Diggs was phenomenal at getting open and making plays down the field, after the catch etc. They both had career years.

There is no doubt Allen is a star but can he keep this standard up, I think it’s a reasonable question at this point. The other guys being mentioned have been doing it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I kinda have a similar hunch about Allen, but I never thought he would have had a season like 2020. I reckon he has a massive range of outcomes in the next few years. From MVP and Super Bowls to going completely tits up.

If you think this then I think you really don't know what you are talking about.

Couldn't just go with a "well I disagree", no?

I wouldn't say miles off, but there's certainly at least 10 QBs I'd rather than Derek Carr.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd agree with that. Carr is borderline top 10. Watson is top 3, particularly when you consider someone who will be around for 5+ years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s weird not having any football this weekend. I even miss the pro bowl and I’ve not watched it for a few years now.

I wouldn't say miles off, but there's certainly at least 10 QBs I'd rather than Derek Carr.
    Can you name them?
    I'll start it off for you Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Wilson. Six more for you to find now.

Can you name them?
    I'll start it off for you Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Wilson. Six more for you to find now.

Allen, watson, stafford, lamar, dak, murray, ryan maby burrow or herbert depends on how they do year two I guess

Allen, watson, stafford, lamar, dak, murray, ryan maby burrow or herbert depends on how they do year two I guess
    Have you Matt Ryan and Kyler Murray in there?

Have you Matt Ryan and Kyler Murray in there?

Wouldn't rank either ahead of him I'd have him at about 10 but you where being fairly obnoxious about someone disagreeing with you. Leave both of them out and the rookies of you feel.like it and that puts him at 10 anyway

• Advertisement

Can you name them?

Yes headmaster.

Mahomes
    Rodgers
    Brady
    Wilson
    Allen
    Jackson
    Stafford
    Prescott
    Ryan
    Watson

There's 10 I'd start over Carr without hesitation. And I'm purposefully not including Herbert or Burrow because they were rookies, yet I could be inclined to go with them too. I'd start Big Ben and Murray too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Salary cap expected to be announced at $180m for 2021 season. Better than the rumoured $175m, but still leaves a lot of teams scrambling for cap space.

Justin Herbert won the NFL Pepsi rookie of the year award. This isn’t the one that’ll be announced on Saturday. It’s good to see him get recognised in some way. He played very well after coming in unexpectedly early in the season and showed he had an arm and could take a hit when needed.

Herbert did very well and it was the season of rookies named Justin. Justin Jefferson broke the rookie receiving yards record.
    Very hard to split them for me, a shared award would be nice.

Herbert did very well and it was the season of rookies named Justin. Justin Jefferson broke the rookie receiving yards record.
    Very hard to split them for me, a shared award would be nice.

Well I think that Justin Jefferson may get the NFL honours one on Saturday(although it will be close) and this way they can rightly acknowledge both players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Andy Reids son, Britt who is also the Linebackers coach for the Chiefs was involved in an accident that left a 5 year old in a life threatening condition. He admitted to police he was drink driving.

paulie21 wrote: »
    Andy Reids son, Britt who is also the Linebackers coach for the Chiefs was involved in an accident that left a 5 year old in a life threatening condition. He admitted to police he was drink driving.

Ah Christ. Five years old ? Hopefully the child comes out the far side.

You’d think after what happened to his brother years ago he’d cop on a bit. Now it could be a once off thing because I’ve not heard any issues with him unlike Andy Reid’s other son who had substance issues which lead to his death. Also, days before you and your dad are coaching in the super bowl why would you out at all ?

paulie21 wrote: »

I mean, you'd hope the organiser does right and cuts ties with him immediately.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You’d think after what happened to his brother years ago he’d cop on a bit. Now it could be a once off thing because I’ve not heard any issues with him unlike Andy Reid’s other son who had substance issues which lead to his death.

That is definitely not the case!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3089753

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/20070207_Britt_Reid_faces_gun__drug_charges.html

https://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2990244

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Those articles are 15 years old.

And?

I was responding to someone saying it was a one-off and he hadn't been in trouble before. Which isn't the case.

And?

I was responding to someone saying it was a one-off and he hadn't been in trouble before. Which isn't the case.

I said I didn’t remember the incidents from fifteen ****ing years ago. I never said it was a once off incident I said this could be because I didn’t remember them. I remember Andy Reid’s son dying because of drug issues.

So it wasn't a one off thing then. Glad we agree, just clearing it up!

So it wasn't a one off thing then. Glad we agree, just clearing it up!

I wasn’t sure(which I why I said “could be” yet you responded to another poster implying I’d said it was a once off. It’s good that we have people like you who remember every single thing that happens in life.

And?

You were responding to someone who said he'd never heard any issues with that son. I think it's perfectly understandable that many of us would never have heard that story 15 years ago.

Fair play for finding or remembering the story, but I can also say I'd never heard of any trouble with that son.

You were responding to someone who said he'd never heard any issues with that son. I think it's perfectly understandable that many of us would never have heard that story 15 years ago.

Fair play for finding or remembering the story, but I can also say I'd never heard of any trouble with that son.

I didn't remember it, nor did I claim to! It was mentioned in many of the reports I read, so I mentioned it here when someone said this is the first they knew of him being in trouble. It's not like I insulted the poster for not knowing about it? I don't see the problem, some very sensitive people around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I didn't remember it, nor did I claim to! It was mentioned in many of the reports I read, so I mentioned it here when someone said this is the first they knew of him being in trouble. It's not like I insulted the poster for not knowing about it? I don't see the problem, some very sensitive people around here.

Yeah, I don't see what you did wrong to get that reaction.

Some places mentioned that, but for me the far more annoying thing is the number that haven't mentioned his admission of drinking, his DUI history, and are making the story about and prayers for the poor victim Britt Reid - when it should be how his negligence likely played a part in two kids being seriously injured, one far more seriously injured than Reid.

I'm sure we'll get more 'prayers up' for the Britt Reid during the game tomorrow.

I didn’t say it was the first time I’d heard of him being in trouble. I did mention that given that his brother died from drugs years ago I said it could have been a once off.

I’m not sensitive on the whole but it does annoy me when poster say I said something I didn’t when it’s clearly provable what I said.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't see what you did wrong to get that reaction.

Some places mentioned that, but for me the far more annoying thing is the number that haven't mentioned his admission of drinking, his DUI history, and are making the story about and prayers for the poor victim Britt Reid - when it should be how his negligence likely played a part in two kids being seriously injured, one far more seriously injured than Reid.

I'm sure we'll get more 'prayers up' for the Britt Reid during the game tomorrow.

We'll also hear about Tyreek Hill's amazing season, and Eric Bienemy being one of the hottest HC candidates in the league....with not a word about their own indiscretions!

Granted, NFL broadcasts would be even longer if we had to hear about every player and coaches rap sheets....

Nobody's being sensitive, sorry if I misunderstood your "That is definitely not the case!" as a "looks like he was actually in trouble" rather than "how could you forget his 2007 case".

Nevermind.

On a tangent, any idea how the Reid family so disfunctional? From the outside, he gives away the stereotype of a fairly well off, educated, religious family. Bizzare that two of his 5 kids would end up in jail.

We'll also hear about Tyreek Hill's amazing season, and Eric Bienemy being one of the hottest HC candidates in the league....with not a word about their own indiscretions!

Granted, NFL broadcasts would be even longer if we had to hear about every player and coaches rap sheets....

For me Hill should never have been allowed in the league and it is a stain on the Chiefs and Reid that they have gamed the system to benefit from Hill on the cheap, due to being willing to take on that scumbag (same with Frank Clark or Antonio Brown and probably others playing tomorrow).

Bienemy to me is very different to Hill and more like Britt Reid. They deserve to move on with their lives if they've turned the page. There is now evidence that Britt has not moved on and repeated his previous actions - potentially seriously injuring two kids. No matter how long ago, you can't ignore past crimes when it looks like the person has now reoffended.

It is like finding out OJ's current girlfriend was murdered and rather than writing about the murder victim, instead writing a story that ignores his history and makes it about poor OJ and praying for the Simpson family.

Nobody's being sensitive, sorry if I misunderstood your "That is definitely not the case!" as a "looks like he was actually in trouble" rather than "how could you forget his 2007 case".

Nevermind.

On a tangent, any idea how the Reid family so disfunctional? From the outside, he gives away the stereotype of a fairly well off, educated, religious family. Bizzare that two of his 5 kids would end up in jail.

A wealthy, famous, and powerful family that moves often and the father figure is never around?

Sounds like a perfect recipe to mess up kids

I don’t know how many here listen to the around the nfl podcast. But I’m sure those that do were aware that one of the people on it Chris wesseling had battled cancer and beat it once but it came back. Well unfortunately he died yesterday it was announced within the last half hour.

Very sad news.

I don’t know how many here listen to the around the nfl podcast. But I’m sure those that do were aware that one of the people on it Chris wesseling had battled cancer and beat it once but it came back. Well unfortunately he died yesterday it was announced within the last half hour.

Very sad news.

Jesus. I listen to it on and off, not as much any more as I spend less time in the car and gym now, which is where I mostly listened to podcasts. I did catch an episode a few weeks back when Chris was on and it sounded like he was terribly ill, was slurring his words etc but I still didn’t realise he was this close to the end.

That’s so sad, he only got married a few years back and they had a kid last year if I remember correctly. RIP

• Advertisement

Very sad news.

That's awful. He sounded very weak on his more recent appearances and there was some talk on the subreddit that things weren't great. But damn, that's really sad. Had a kid last year too.

Jesus. I listen to it on and off, not as much any more as I spend less time in the car and gym now, which is where I mostly listened to podcasts. I did catch an episode a few weeks back when Chris was on and it sounded like he was terribly ill, was slurring his words etc but I still didn’t realise he was this close to the end.

That’s so sad, he only got married a few years back and they had a kid last year if I remember correctly. RIP

Well I used to listen to every episode but more recently I’d kept listening to the Sunday night show. I knew he’d been unwell and like the first time his voice was very hoarse but I didn’t want to think about but it was getting longer and longer without him being on. Yes he did get married and he had a son. I don’t anyone listening knew.

That's awful. He sounded very weak on his more recent appearances and there was some talk on the subreddit that things were great. But damn, that's really sad. Had a kid last year too.

Well he had sounded that way the first time and was off for a long time but came back. The worrying thing was this time around he was have to leave half way through and they’d sub someone in. It’s awful as the four lads and the producers are all devastated from their tweets. The post super bowl episode from the stadium was always a great podcast and I don’t think fans will care if they don’t do one tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

I don't get why Hunt was let go by the Chiefs when they are perfectly happy to have Hill around. Hunt would have been a great help to this team but they were (rightly) quick to get rid of him. Not so for Hill. I guess talent and position has something to do with it.

Well he had sounded that way the first time and was off for a long time but came back. The worrying thing was this time around he was have to leave half way through and they’d sub someone in. It’s awful as the four lads and the producers are all devastated from their tweets. The post super bowl episode from the stadium was always a great podcast and I don’t think fans will care if they don’t do one tomorrow night.

I haven't listened this the championship weekend, were the guys supposed to be going to the Super Bowl this year? Or are they too low down the pecking order given the year that's in it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement