Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So what you are saying is with only 8 games extra olayed Nelson grades out better over all??
    How are you making that out?
    I was talking about the postseason, you suggested that Nelson's stats would match but their don't. He'd have 1k receiving yards given the same number of games as Edelman, that's a long way behind Julian.
    I'm a packers fan and I don't think Nelson deserves in
    He's borderline for me, I thought he was a great player. He had quite a few really outstanding seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

eagle eye wrote: »
    How are you making that out?
    I was talking about the postseason, you suggested that Nelson's stats would match but their don't. He'd have 1k receiving yards given the same number of games as Edelman, that's a long way behind Julian.

He's borderline for me, I thought he was a great player. He had quite a few really outstanding seasons.
    I never mentioned jordy Nelson??

I never mentioned jordy Nelson??
    I see now it was nerd but you did mention Nelson when you quoted me.

I wasn't the first to mention nelson either to be clear

I see now it was nerd but you did mention Nelson when you quoted me.

I quoted you when you brought up Nelson, be weird to ignore your point?

Overall stats I think Edelman might have 2-300 yards more but falls behind in everything else overall.

I just don't see him being Hall of fame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

There's only one hall of fame. If you split it into regular season and playoffs then nobody would care about the regular season one.

I simply do not believe that anyone aside from the most blinkered fan would care or value more Edelman in a playoff HoF over Megatron in a regular season one.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I simply do not believe that anyone aside from the most blinkered fan would care or value more Edelman in a playoff HoF over Megatron in a regular season one.

To be fair I don't get the edleman thing but he never said he'd take him over megatron

Overall stats I think Edelman might have 2-300 yards more but falls behind in everything else overall.
    All my pro-Edelman comments have been about the postseason. Second highest number of catches and yards in postseason history behind only Jerry Rice. There's hall of famers and future hall of famers who played more games than him.

All my pro-Edelman comments have been about the postseason. Second highest number of catches and yards in postseason history behind only Jerry Rice. There's hall of famers and future hall of famers who played more games than him.

They've also had amazing regular seasons. You cannot just give hof off moments. It's a career thing. He has not had a hall of fame career

It's worth noting also your talking about some specific catches and yards exclusively. His playoff tds are bad for a guy trying to mount a hof case off playoffs exclusively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

-Changed the jersey numbering system to allow:
    Running backs, tight ends, H-backs, and wide receivers can wear numbers 1-49 and 80-89
    Defensive backs can wear numbers 1-49
    Linebackers can wear numbers 1-59 and 90-99
    Offensive linemen still must wear numbers 50-79, defensive linemen still must wear 50-79 and 90-99, and quarterbacks, punters, and kickers must still wear 1-19.

-Overtime in the preseason is eliminated.
    -Enforce all accepted penalties on successive try attempts.
    -Add loss of down for a second forward pass thrown behind the line or if a pass is thrown once the ball returns behind the line of scrimmage.
    - On onside kicks, restrict the receiving team to players in the "setup zone".
    -Approved expanded booth-to-official communication on replays.

We have some rule changes that were voted on today at the NFL owners meetings.

Most of them aren’t that big of a change just tweaking of rules.
    The onside kick will be as pointless again with that rule change. Either make it something that’s got a point or just get rid of it.

I know it doesn’t really matter but I don’t like the number change. Not a thing wrong with the system as it was and it’s an odd one to do just for some Twitter handles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I know it doesn’t really matter but I don’t like the number change. Not a thing wrong with the system as it was and it’s an odd one to do just for some Twitter handles.

I don't even like WR's taking numbers in the teens - should all be in the 80's :mad:

In the grand scheme of things and the issues the NFL need to address, I’d agree that the number change is not that important.

There’s more to the jersey number change. If a player wants to change their number THIS season they are required to pay the jersey distributor for any jerseys with their old number in stock. This doesn’t apply to next season.

Not so much just twitter handles, I get players wanting to keep their college numbers. Will likely become a bigger deal as college players can monetize their likeness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I don't even like WR's taking numbers in the teens - should all be in the 80's :mad:

Only issue is that some teams have retired a good few WR numbers so there is not enough to go around on the current players.

I cant see any teams backing off that so it was always going to go this way. The Refs are going to have a hard time calling out player numbers for penalties now - they struggle getting it right now!

I see Terry Bradshaw is off Aaron Rodgers Christmas card list after his comments today or yesterday. Terry is clearly in off season don’t give a **** mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see Terry Bradshaw is off Aaron Rodgers Christmas card list after his comments today or yesterday. Terry is clearly in off season don’t give a **** mode.

Terry's brain is always in that mode these days.

Terry's brain is always in that mode these days.

Well he seems to have levels of it though. He’s liable to say anything on air but I think Aaron Rodgers if he’s not careful could push things too far. I mean this as no disrespect to most other teams in the league(my own included) but there’s a certain aura around the Green Bay packers(oats, RDS may have another word for it :D ) as a team and if he’s not careful he’ll come out looking like he thinks he’s bigger than the team and that would be a very bad look. He’s a packers legend which is rare air and he could do a farve and tarnish his legacy.

• Advertisement

Here we go now, apparently Favre tarnished his legacy by leaving when he was no longer wanted in Green Bay and signing with the Vikings.
    I know loads of Green Bay fans and none of them have anything but good things to say about Brett Favre.
    Same thing applies to Aaron Rodgers, he is a Packers legend and anything that happens now will be forgiven by the fans. More likely the coaches get blamed as they drafted a QB in the first round last year.

Here we go now, apparently Favre tarnished his legacy by leaving when he was no longer wanted in Green Bay and signing with the Vikings.
    I know loads of Green Bay fans and none of them have anything but good things to say about Brett Favre.
    Same thing applies to Aaron Rodgers, he is a Packers legend and anything that happens now will be forgiven by the fans. More likely the coaches get blamed as they drafted a QB in the first round last year.

Well why did it take so long to come back to the packers to get inducted into the ring of honour then ? If everything was great it should have happened way before that. But I forgot that eagle eye has the American football equivalent of papal infallibility around here. Or so you believe anyway due to your condescending tone and inability to except you may be wrong at time which has lead to ridiculous debates.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Well why did it take so long to come back to the packers to get inducted into the ring of honour then ? If everything was great it should have happened way before that. But I forgot that eagle eye has the American football equivalent of papal infallibility around here. Or so you believe anyway due to your condescending tone and inability to except you may be wrong at time which has lead to ridiculous debates.
    All I said was that I know a lot if Packers fans personally and they all love Farve and Rodgers and I don't think anything that happens at this late stage of Rodgers' career will change that much like it didn't change anything for them for Favre.
    They weren't happy when Favre went to the Vikings but once he retired it was all forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

All I said was that I know a lot if Packers fans personally and they all love Farve and Rodgers and I don't think anything that happens at this late stage of Rodgers' career will change that much like it didn't change anything for them for Favre.
    They weren't happy when Favre went to the Vikings but once he retired it was all forgotten about.

I definitely know some who don't like Favre still. Granted not a full assessment of GB fans. I am less sure of the details of that case and would not be surprised

Rodgers does seem to have the right of it here and general support. There is a complete lack of respect shown to him and what he has done for the team by that office. I am not sure if Dalton has even moved to Chicago yet and they phoned him as a courtesy to let him know they would be drafting a QB. Brady and Cousins were also phoned the night of the draft.

It is a simple thing but if you show respect you get respect. I feel like a lot of sports clubs work off "We are a business first" when they need to screw over people quickly followed by "We are a club" when they want loyalty in return.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I definitely know some who don't like Favre still. Granted not a full assessment of GB fans. I am less sure of the details of that case and would not be surprised

Rodgers does seem to have the right of it here and general support. There is a complete lack of respect shown to him and what he has done for the team by that office. I am not sure if Dalton has even moved to Chicago yet and they phoned him as a courtesy to let him know they would be drafting a QB. Brady and Cousins were also phoned the night of the draft.

It is a simple thing but if you show respect you get respect. I feel like a lot of sports clubs work off "We are a business first" when they need to screw over people quickly followed by "We are a club" when they want loyalty in return.

This is it. They play on fans and players alike with it.
    Could you imagine waking up in the morning and your job telling you that you now worked in iceland and you dont get a say in it unless you quit? Thats how contracts work.

Oh we are club we love #12 then why move up to draft a qb last year when the world knew this years qb class is better? move down last year to pick up another first this year then bam, aarons 38, We love him but its time to prepare for the future, we talked about this with him to let him know.

Sports clubs are starting to see that fans have a lot more power than they think, look at united for instance, the glazers are been hounded in Florida atm by british tv over this secret league plan.

Terry has got to the old rich white guy stage of life where he is very much into 'do as I say, not as I do' - especially common in the NFL.

He is coming across as a complete hypocrite based on his own issues and actions during his career.

Bleacher report and the athletic and I also saw it reported on nfl network that Aaron Rodgers has reportedly been mocking the packers GM when talking to his teammates and has referred to Brian Gutekunst as Jerry Krause which is just harsh. This situation in Green Bay isn’t getting any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

Bleacher report and the athletic and I also saw it reported on nfl network that Aaron Rodgers has reportedly been mocking the packers GM when talking to his teammates and has referred to Brian Gutekunst as Jerry Krause which is just harsh. This situation in Green Bay isn’t getting any better.

It's a clusterf*ck and brett favre has now chimed in aswell just to add more fuel to the fire.

cosatron wrote: »
    It's a clusterf*ck and brett favre has now chimed in aswell just to add more fuel to the fire.

Well to get to your star QB calling you a four letter word in sports GM terms is bad. What did Favre say ?

• Advertisement

Well to get to your star QB calling you a four letter word in sports GM terms is bad. What did Favre say ?

Rodgers isnt going to budge and that he text him messing with him saying he will see him in a saints jersey next year and Rodgers just said he will call him when it's all over. Favre is an all time legend and my favourite packer but he talks allot of manure but his funny

Harsh on Krause, at least he won things while alienating people :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Aaron Rodgers has reportedly been mocking the packers GM when talking to his teammates and has referred to Brian Gutekunst as Jerry Krause which is just harsh.
    Harsh on Krause, at least he won things while alienating people

Krause & Jordan weren't 1-4 in eastern conference finals.

Rodgers is getting serious notions.

Come to Butthead

Oat23 wrote: »
    Krause & Jordan weren't 1-4 in eastern conference finals.

Rodgers is getting serious notions.

Ha. If the stuff coming out is remotely true, rodgers is a passive aggressive egomanaic and needs to be traded out of GB asap. Apparently he was offered to be paid highest qb in league and refused it and over on the packers fan forum, allot of fans are turning on him.

cosatron wrote:
    Ha. If the stuff coming out is remotely true, rodgers is a passive aggressive egomanaic and needs to be traded out of GB asap. Apparently he was offered to be paid highest qb in league and refused it and over on the packers fan forum, allot of fans are turning on him.
    Wouldn't mind what you are hearing on an internet site. There's loads of hate online.

• Advertisement

Fantastic

Wouldn't mind what you are hearing on an internet site. There's loads of hate online.

I know it's crazy. Some of the stuff I've read since the news broke is crazy and not fair on any party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Wasn't he the highest paid QB when he got his last contract? If he was offered the same again once again making him the highest paid but he turned it down that's not really a knock on Rodgers. He could have taken the money and shut up but he wants to win.
    I realise the line between 'wants to win' and 'wants to be the center of attention and have his ego stroked' is extremely small.

tbh I think he has some legitimate misgivings with the way things have been run there. There's been a real lack of respect shown from the FO towards him....not that Rodgers is a saint or anything. I don't think it's a coincidence that both Rodgers and Wilson have thrown their toys this off-season. Both are probably pi**ed seeing Brady's situation where he walked into Tampa and became a king. He got everything he wanted and to be fair to him he got it done on the field as well. Rodgers & Wilson rightfully feel underappreciated with Rodgers throwing to nobodies who couldn't even make the Lions roster while the GM drafts his replacement without even a courtesy call. Wilson is working in an offense where he is running for his life because the Seahawks don't care enough to protect him.

edit: I just watched a Rich Eisen clip a minute after posting this and he basically said the same thing as my theory :pac:

https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/1390041844906487808

Rodgers doesn't speak to his family so it is hardly out of character to hold a grudge.

Having said that, he is completely in the right to want out. Gutekunst treated Rodgers and LaFleur with complete disrespect when it came to the draft last year and Rodgers with how they were dealing with his contract up until Rodgers told them he wanted out. Unlike Gutekunst, I don't see Rodgers being passive aggressive at all, he seems to have been very direct with GB.

Gutekunst has admitted he fudged up the draft last year by not communicating with Rodgers about love and news broke yesterday that he tired to trade up for Jefferson and aykuk(the guy the 49ers got) but couldnt get it done. It's all hearsay now, I think he will be traded after june 1st unfortunately. Too much damage done, best to part ways

• Advertisement

Apparently he was offered to be paid highest qb in league and refused it and over on the packers fan forum, allot of fans are turning on him.

Yeah, listened to the UK and Ireland Packers podcast and they made a number of sensible points.

Dragging the matter into the public domain was completely wrong.

If his gripe is with drafting Jordan Love, that was a year ago, what can Rodgers expect now?

If his gripe is with his contract, he signed it.

If his gripe is with the front office, that's just the way things are, we don't get to sack our employers.

Either way, Rodgers issues with the organisation go back years. If they've reached breaking point now, so be it. He may be the greatest ever at the franchise, but he's not bigger than it.

Yeah, listened to the UK and Ireland Packers podcast and they made a number of sensible points.

Dragging the matter into the public domain was completely wrong.

If his gripe is with drafting Jordan Love, that was a year ago, what can Rodgers expect now?

If his gripe is with his contract, he signed it.

If his gripe is with the front office, that's just the way things are, we don't get to sack our employers.

Either way, Rodgers issues with the organisation go back years. If they've reached breaking point now, so be it. He may be the greatest ever at the franchise, but he's not bigger than it.

I am always impressed at how the NFL teams have so many fans so wrapped around their fingers, that the team can do whatever they want and some fans believe the players are supposed to suck it up and keep their mouths shut.

If you've accepted that they have reached breaking point than the obvious thing is to be calling for GB to let Rodgers go, yet your ire still seems to be towards Rodgers.

I am always impressed at how the NFL teams have so many fans so wrapped around their fingers, that the team can do whatever they want and some fans believe the players are supposed to suck it up and keep their mouths shut.

If you've accepted that they have reached breaking point than the obvious thing is to be calling for GB to let Rodgers go, yet your ire still seems to be towards Rodgers.

Rodgers can air all the grievance he wants but do it in private to the board. Since the news broke Murphy, Gutekunst and Le Fluer have all done interviews regarding the matter and all have said they want rodgers to stay and if they are telling the truth have offered him an extension to be the highest paid Q.B. But since the news broke AR or his agent have not issued any official statement and if he wants to go just come out and say it and not use the media as your mouth piece that what's getting allot fans riled up. For instance after the Kentucky derby AJ Hawk stated that Rodgers didn't say he wanted Gutekunst removed.

Rodgers can air all the grievance he wants but do it in private to the board. Since the news broke Murphy, Gutekunst and Le Fluer have all done interviews regarding the matter and all have said they want rodgers to stay and if they are telling the truth have offered him an extension to be the highest paid Q.B. But since the news broke AR or his agent have not issued any official statement and if he wants to go just come out and say it and not use the media as your mouth piece that what's getting allot fans riled up. For instance after the Kentucky derby AJ Hawk stated that Rodgers didn't say he wanted Gutekunst removed.

I take those contract claims with a lot of skepticism, as I do with all NFL contract claims in the media. Even if that headline number is true, the devil is always in the detail - being the top paid QB means little if there is little guaranteed money, especially when the team drafted a QB last year in the first round.

Every piece of evidence is that Rodgers aired all his grievances in private, with discussions going on during last season - even reports that GB agreed to let him leave this offseason before changing their mind. If you're unhappy with the news leaking I doubt you'll be happy if Rodgers aired all their laundry in public - for many he is damned by some in whatever he does, the team will always be right.

He would of been the highest paid qb all he had to do was throw 50tds, run for 6 more and return a kick off for 6.

That could be how they word it and all they got to say highest ever and they'd not be lying

I follow the Packers, not Rodgers. That does not mean the Packers are above criticism. But if Rodgers decides to go, so be it, my loyalty will stay with the Packers.

Surely this concept can't surprise you that much...it's pretty much standard across support for all teams in all sports, players (even the greatest) come and go, life goes on.

I do expect someone who is "sucking it up" at a rate of €33.5 million a year should show some discretion and loyalty. Even if he believes he is being wronged, it should be kept in house. Again, that's very standard and reasonable, take issues up with the employer paying the €33.5 million, don't start leaks to score points on social media or win the media war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

I follow the Packers, not Rodgers. That does not mean the Packers are above criticism. But if Rodgers decides to go, so be it, my loyalty will stay with the Packers.

Surely this concept can't surprise you that much...it's pretty much standard across support for all teams in all sports, players (even the greatest) come and go, life goes on.

I do expect someone who is "sucking it up" at a rate of €33.5 million a year should show some discretion and loyalty. Even if he believes he is being wronged, it should be kept in house. Again, that's very standard and reasonable, take issues up with the employer paying the €33.5 million, don't start leaks to score points on social media or win the media war.

An employer should show respect to an employee as well, especially when €33.5 if hardly the highest rate going for superstar QBs at the level of Rodgers.

I get following the team. However I would be hoping that the front office learns they are also not bigger than the team and improve in the future. I am not sure you have evidence that Rodgers was the one who organised the leaks?

Christy42 wrote: »
    An employer should show respect to an employee as well, especially when €33.5 if hardly the highest rate going for superstar QBs at the level of Rodgers.

I get following the team. However I would be hoping that the front office learns they are also not bigger than the team and improve in the future. I am not sure you have evidence that Rodgers was the one who organised the leaks?

That is the crux of the problem, who leaked the stories. The board are not above criticism either, they have fudged this up royally. I just hope there is a resolution shortly cause some of the stories coming out now are just nonsense.

If Packers aren't above criticism then why does your post read like you're saying 'so what' to everything that GB deserves that criticism for?

Again, from all reports, including from the GB side, that this was being discussed internally for months. We don't know who leaked but if GB aren't meeting what Rodgers wants then I don't see any issue with him leaking. Teams leak when it suits them, players have just as much right.

Your last paragraph is exactly what I am talking about with my overarching point on a decent proportion of NFL fans - you appear to expect loyalty from players but are void of criticism for the obvious lack of loyalty teams. Everything GB did during 2020 lined up that they were preparing to move on from Rodgers far in advance of the end of his contract, yet it is Rodgers who is now apparently being disloyal for using the leverage he has for what he wants. It's just business doesn't just go one way.

If Packers aren't above criticism then why does your post read like you're saying 'so what' to everything that GB deserves that criticism for?

Again, from all reports, including from the GB side, that this was being discussed internally for months. We don't know who leaked but if GB aren't meeting what Rodgers wants then I don't see any issue with him leaking. Teams leak when it suits them, players have just as much right.

Your last paragraph is exactly what I am talking about with my overarching point on a decent proportion of NFL fans - you appear to expect loyalty from players but are void of criticism for the obvious lack of loyalty teams. Everything GB did during 2020 lined up that they were preparing to move on from Rodgers far in advance of the end of his contract, yet it is Rodgers who is now apparently being disloyal for using the leverage he has for what he wants. It's just business doesn't just go one way.

That post you’ve quoted literally says the packers aren’t above criticism so I’m not sure how you can say that the post absolves them of blame.

And I’ll ask this question. If Green Bay had gone to the Super Bowl and won would the situation be like it is now in may ? IMO no it wouldn’t because winning solves all issues as we have seen. And in a general point, I think no player in this league, however good they are are bigger than the team they play for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement