Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

cosatron wrote: »
    ESPN I doubt his going to say anything only some cryptic clue which leads to a whole pile nothing.

Is it sports centre tonight? He is supposed to be interviewed for a presenters last ever show. Must be tonight. I'd say he won't say much to be honest.

Also Julio supposedly has said he won't be back at Atlanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That idea crossed my mind when it happened but I don't buy it. If Lawrence craps the bed in camp that'll still be the story, if things are going as expected it doesn't help Lawrence to be asked constantly about Tebow.

Again, it goes against everything every top coach I've heard say.

When Tebow was a starting QB that made sense but now I can't see a shred of logic to this point. Why do you want an at best roster bubble level TE who has never played his position coming in and trying to grab attention and be a 'leader'? What makes it even worse is when you have a rookie QB trying to win over a locker room.

The only thing Tebow 'inspires' is how good it is to have friends in high places (like the racist conditioning coach that Meyer hired earlier in the offseason)

In fairness Tebow hasn't done anything this time around. However some like yourself want nothing more than to talk about him.

You can and should be a leader from any position. Put in the work, bring everything to training. Tebow sounds like a dose but I have never heard anything against his work ethic.

I sincerely doubt Lawrence will be asked about Tebow very much. Reporters should also be able to control what they ask about and be able to ask a sensible question now and then.

As for friends in high places. Yeah, shocker. I am sure Reid's son was involved with Chiefs because of ability. Or half the coaches in the NFL and a few of their favourite project players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Christy42 wrote: »
    In fairness Tebow hasn't done anything this time around. However some like yourself want nothing more than to talk about him.

Ah, come on now. No one is going after Tebow for no reason. Tebow made the choice to have his face all over the media post his NFL career, leveraging it for media jobs and speaking tours. He has now made the decision to ask a former coach to try out to be a TE. People have full right to scrutinize him.

I'd expect the same if the Jags out of no where signed Kaepernick as a WR - given Baalke has a connection with him.
    You can and should be a leader from any position. Put in the work, bring everything to training. Tebow sounds like a dose but I have never heard anything against his work ethic.

To me that is nonsense. You have to earn the right to be a leader and you don't get it from targeting your old coach and asking him to parachute you on to the team and then trying your best during training. I've seen similar in sport and the workplace and it never ends well - people see straight through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foxtrol wrote:
    The only thing Tebow 'inspires' is how good it is to have friends in high places (like the racist conditioning coach that Meyer hired earlier in the offseason)
    So now you are suggesting Tebow is racist or some sort of nonsense like that?
    Why else would you bring up that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »

He literally said the conditioning coach was racist. Not Tebow. Untwist your knickers.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No, he’s saying that conditioning coach wouldn’t have got a job only for who he knows.

Now Tebow is getting a job because of who he knows.

That’s one giant leap to suggest he was calling Tebow a racist but I’m sure you’ll move the goalposts again to continue to argue a toss instead of putting your hands up and saying you jumped the gun

He literally said the conditioning coach was racist. Not Tebow. Untwist your knickers.

Faugheen wrote:
    No, he’s saying that conditioning coach wouldn’t have got a job only for who he knows.
    He threw it in there, no need for it. Just flinging mud trying to dirty everything up.
    It's a tactic he uses quite often.

Faugheen wrote: »

Now Tebow is getting a job because of who he knows.

That’s one giant leap to suggest he was calling Tebow a racist but I’m sure you’ll move the goalposts again to continue to argue a toss instead of putting your hands up and saying you jumped the gun

Tebow won't make the roster, teams often take flyers in the off-season Washington signed a tight end that's never played football at any level recently. The only concern surrounding Tebow is the media crap he brings but him getting a shot in an offseason in and of itself is not really indicative of any favoritism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Ah, come on now. No one is going after Tebow for no reason. Tebow made the choice to have his face all over the media post his NFL career, leveraging it for media jobs and speaking tours. He has now made the decision to ask a former coach to try out to be a TE. People have full right to scrutinize him.

I'd expect the same if the Jags out of no where signed Kaepernick as a WR - given Baalke has a connection with him.

To me that is nonsense. You have to earn the right to be a leader and you don't get it from targeting your old coach and asking him to parachute you on to the team and then trying your best during training. I've seen similar in sport and the workplace and it never ends well - people see straight through it.

I am sure there would be craziness if someone signed Kaep. Doesn't mean it would be justified.

• Advertisement

He threw it in there, no need for it. Just flinging mud trying to dirty everything up.
    It's a tactic he uses quite often.

To read what I posted and to leap to claiming I called Tebow racist shows either a lack of even basic comprehension skills or a continued quest to be constantly offended. Given the fact two posters corrected you and you refuse to accept you were wrong it seems like it is very much the latter.

I 'threw it' in because it is a relevant recent example of Meyer hiring his mates and not considering the downside. All HCs bring in coaches or players they know but rarely do they make these kind of decisions that cause such drama around the team with such small upside. Meyer himself even said afterward the S&C coach left that he 'wasn't worth the distraction' and yet he goes out a few weeks later and seeks out another even bigger distraction.

Foxtrol wrote:
    I 'threw it' in because it is a relevant recent example of Meyer hiring his mates and not considering the downside.
    You didn't need to mention the racist bit, just the name of the pal he hired.
    It's a tactic I've seen you use many times to dirty things up.

How is the character of a person being hired not relivant the person's character is the entire point being made ie. He was hired despite this issue

Surely someone being racist is very relevant?

Absolutely ridiculous carry-on from you.

Surely someone being racist is very relevant?
    How is it relevant to him taking on Tebow?

Wow, you're really on a serious one today. I have really no idea what these imaginary 'tactics' are that you mention but feel free to keep making stuff up.

I'd be surprised if many here know the names of the S&C coaches for their own team, forget about the name of one hired for 10 minutes by the Jags. Why should I go to the effort of looking up the guy's name and then vaguely refer to the relevant issue in a way which most of the posters would have to then go and search to understand? It isn't my job to skirt around certain subjects because they make you feel uncomfortable.

The guy has one claim to fame and that happens to be the same thing that caused a distraction for the Jags, which is the same thing that caused them split from him - his history of racism.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote:
    The guy has one claim to fame and that happens to be the same thing that caused a distraction for the Jags, which is the same thing that caused them split from him - his history of racism.
    The guy was strength and conditioning coach for Iowa for 20+ years.
    It's not like he was clueless or had been out of work for years.

How you can compare that in any way to the signing of Tebow, well it's a huge reach.

The guy was strength and conditioning coach for Iowa for 20+ years.
    It's not like he was clueless or had been out of work for years.

How you can compare that in any way to the signing of Tebow, well it's a huge reach.

50+ current and formers players came out publicly complaining about racism in that building, with most of the focus being on actions by Doyle. A lawsuit against him by a few players based on their allegations is moving through the courts.

I am not comparing them, we are talking about distractions and I simply pointed to another relevant example of Meyer bringing one into the building a few months ago.

This is a very basic concept, I don't know why you continue to struggle with it. Another example would be saying that Meyer has a history of ignoring character concerns and citing Doyle and Hernandez. This wouldn't mean I am implying Doyle is a murderer or Hernandez was racist - they are simply two distinct examples of Meyer ignoring that specific issue.

I think I can safely say that no one is interested in discussing your lack of comprehension or attempts to feign being offended so I will not be continuing this further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I think Foxtrol just called Tebow a racist murderer :eek:

Foxtrol wrote:
    I think I can safely say that no one is interested in discussing your lack of comprehension or attempts to feign being offended so I will not be continuing this further.
    I'm not offended, I'm simply pointing out that you try and dirty the whole thing up.
    As I said one bears no resemblance to the other.
    One guy is a racist but he has a great history doing his job.
    The other guy is loved by millions but hasn't been playing football for a few years.
    There is no comparison there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://twitter.com/tombrady/status/1397595268799942656?s=21

The second tweet is what I assume a seven time super bowl champion can do. That’s cold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Apart from the fact they were down 8 it works pretty well. Well done to whoever runs Brady's social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The sure fire hall of fame kicker, 3 time sb, who Brady should thank for winning him two announced his retirement on pat macafee show

Itssoeasy wrote: »

The second tweet is what I assume a seven time super bowl champion can do. That’s cold.

He knows, right now, even a lot of Packers fans won't leap to Rodgers defence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

The one thing that stands out about this Tim Tebow signing is how the hell did it happen. He hasn't played for 8 years, and when he did he was a quarterback with a less than 50% completion percentage. He wasn't very good, has he suddenly become an nfl tight end? Damian Woody was on espn earlier and said its a whole bunch of nonsense. The first time anyone has said it, but it's true. I would equate it to a youtuber fighting Floyd Mayweather, Mayweather will be pulling his punches, otherwise he would kill him, its professional sport, no room for sentiment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

The one thing that stands out about this Tim Tebow signing is how the hell did it happen. He hasn't played for 8 years, and when he did he was a quarterback with a less than 50% completion percentage. He wasn't very good, has he suddenly become an nfl tight end? Damian Woody was on espn earlier and said its a whole bunch of nonsense. The first time anyone has said it, but it's true. I would equate it to a youtuber fighting Floyd Mayweather, Mayweather will be pulling his punches, otherwise he would kill him, its professional sport, no room for sentiment

It’s a bizarre signing, and he probably won’t get on the field after it all.

This isn't anything like a YouTuber taking on a top class fighter. He's blocked before, he's played professional football at the highest level including a playoff win.
    He might be playing a different position and he is old in football terms but we know he's kept himself in shape.
    The way you are going on Antonio Gates should never have been drafted.

This isn't anything like a YouTuber taking on a top class fighter. He's blocked before, he's played professional football at the highest level including a playoff win.
    He might be playing a different position and he is old in football terms but we know he's kept himself in shape.

And he's not racist. Let's make that very clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

He wasn't

The one thing that stands out about this Tim Tebow signing is how the hell did it happen.

I think we all know why.

There's zero chance Tebow would be in the league again if it wasn't for his friend and old head coach Urban Meyer wanting to give him a second chance - probably as a favour for all the success Tebow brought Meyer in their previous life.

I would say it's likely that it doesn't work out, however I would also repeat that having Tebow as a 3rd or 4th string TE isn't the worst option the world due to the potential gimmick plays he would give you as a H-back. I can see why he may be more valuable than any other standard 4th string TE in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1397570468056535040

brady is giving Rodgers dogs abuse on twitter.

• Advertisement

cosatron wrote:
    brady is giving Rodgers dogs abuse on twitter.

It's a charity golf match. Where's the abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

It's a charity golf match. Where's the abuse?

In a good natured fashion. Brady is very witty on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2021/5/30/22461050/nfl-new-player-cut-down-schedule-for-the-2021-off-season-chicago-bears-preseason-player-release

New set up where the teams will have to cut down their roster by a certain number of players each week after preseason games. Don't suppose it'll make much difference to most fans but I was just thinking it might add some drama to hard knocks. Could be a nightmare for them if all the bubble guys they decide to focus on at the start get cut and they haven't really been paying attention to others. But more likely there's just more drama to the early episodes which often get a bit tedious.

Isn't that just going back to the way things were before last year?

Isn't that just going back to the way things were before last year?

I stand to be corrected on this but I don't think they had a situation where teams had to cut down so many times (5 players after first pre season, 5 again after the second, and then the remainder after the third). Looking at it now it seems completely unnecessary, but might squeeze a few more stories into the news cycle during the pre season. One rationale in the article I linked was that it would help teams build a practice squad over a number of weeks. I dunno.

Rosters must be cut down to 85 players by Aug. 17, 80 players by Aug. 24 and 53 players by Aug. 31

The USFL is now relaunching next year also.

https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latest-news/2021/06/03/united-states-football-league-returns-2022

There are some great stories from this league in its first iteration.

My favourite was when Chicago traded their entire roster to Arizona in return for their entire roster, because the Arizona owner was a Chicago fan who failed to acquire the team.

Chiacgo then immediately traded 21 of those former Arizona players to Memphis for a late round draft pick.

Memphis then immediately cut 20 of them without telling them :o

The USFL is now relaunching next year also.

https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latest-news/2021/06/03/united-states-football-league-returns-2022

There are some great stories from this league in its first iteration.

My favourite was when Chicago traded their entire roster to Arizona in return for their entire roster, because the Arizona owner was a Chicago fan who failed to acquire the team.

Chiacgo then immediately traded 21 of those former Arizona players to Memphis for a late round draft pick.

Memphis then immediately cut 20 of them without telling them :o

And it was doing so well until that well reknowned business man, Donald Trump insisted on going head to head with the NFL rather than stay as a spring league.

And then it predictably crashed.

I wonder what happened him?

And it was doing so well until that well reknowned business man, Donald Trump insisted on going head to head with the NFL rather than stay as a spring league.

And then it predictably crashed.

I wonder what happened him?
    It was small potatoes guys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

USFL - Both Jim Kelly and Steve Young originally played USFL football, here they are going head to head in 1984, both are now in the hall of fame.

• Advertisement

COVID Protocols will not be fun for non-vaccinated players and likely will end up being a disadvantage for teams with low uptake (not to mention staff, reporters etc).

The right and only move by the NFL

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1405226106802872324?s=20

It's also easy to note who has and hasn't been vaccinated. It's been a popular question this week, and there's been plenty of "It's a personal decision, I don't want to say" answers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

I wonder how many players will just fake evidence of having been vaccinated to avoid being subject to all of that. The CDC vaccination card is downloadable in easily printable PDF form from plenty of websites, using fake ones as proof of being vaccinated is a big thing at the moment.

Blut2 wrote: »
    I wonder how many players will just fake evidence of having been vaccinated to avoid being subject to all of that. The CDC vaccination card is downloadable in easily printable PDF form from plenty of websites, using fake ones as proof of being vaccinated is a big thing at the moment.

I have the CDC vax card, it is completely unlaminated, it's the size of a queue card, it's signed with a little scribble by whatever random fireman or whoever gave me the injection, they are completely useless as any kind of proof of anything, and my sense when I first got it after the first shot was its sole purpose was administering the second shot (because it says when you got the first and which vaccine it was). Faking it will be ridiculously easy if that's the only proof they're using.

They did issue a QR code when you got the appointment and scanned it when you got each shot, so I guess that could be the basis for a more robust system. Not sure if you could compel people to sign up to sharing that information though.

It's also easy to note who has and hasn't been vaccinated. It's been a popular question this week, and there's been plenty of "It's a personal decision, I don't want to say" answers

That's my answer to people who bring it up to criticise people and I got my second jab two weeks ago.

I have the CDC vax card, it is completely unlaminated, it's the size of a queue card, it's signed with a little scribble by whatever random fireman or whoever gave me the injection, they are completely useless as any kind of proof of anything, and my sense when I first got it after the first shot was its sole purpose was administering the second shot (because it says when you got the first and which vaccine it was). Faking it will be ridiculously easy if that's the only proof they're using.

They did issue a QR code when you got the appointment and scanned it when you got each shot, so I guess that could be the basis for a more robust system. Not sure if you could compel people to sign up to sharing that information though.

I have one too but have a feeling the NFL will be a bit stricter than just accepting cards, especially for vocal anti-vax and vax-skeptic players.

From a player's perspective it is quite a risk to run to lie to the teams and NFL about your vaccination status given the potential terrible outcomes.

• Advertisement

Well thanks to the fantasy football sign up it’s the signal to start getting back up to speed on the news around the NFL(bar the eagles who I keep up to date with). And I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m looking forward to the pre season in just over a months time.

Well thanks to the fantasy football sign up it’s the signal to start getting back up to speed on the news around the NFL(bar the eagles who I keep up to date with). And I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m looking forward to the pre season in just over a months time.

I always think I'm excited that the preseason is coming until I watch a preseason game and then realise I can wait another couple of weeks. Bears playing Justin fields in the games this year might change my attitude on that front though.

I always think I'm excited that the preseason is coming until I watch a preseason game and then realise I can wait another couple of weeks. Bears playing Justin fields in the games this year might change my attitude on that front though.

Well after we had none last season it’s made me appreciate the fact they happen, although not really the quality of the play in them. It’s live football which we haven’t had since February.

Well seems we are back. It seems Richard Sherman went a bit nuts yesterday and was arrested.

edit: the new look to the site is going to take a while to get used to btw.

What is Sherman alleged to have done?

• Advertisement
Advertisement