Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Mad to imagine them letting him go. Like he scored week one so not as if he's doing nothing for them

I think this is the only situation where the Browns deserve the benefit of the doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Masked Man wrote: »
    I think this is the only situation where the Browns deserve the benefit of the doubt!

As long as he pisses clean he will have 4 or so teams willing to give him a shot

Absolutely, but that doesn't mean they're mad to release/trade him. It's completely understandable that he's run out of road with them. They know him pretty well at this stage and if he ****ed up, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

As long as he pisses clean he will have 4 or so teams willing to give him a shot
    Easily... in 2013 he was probably top 5. I'm not sure if many remember, but the guy was close to Julio Jones levels of 'one man wrecking crew' and that was with journeyman backups passing to him, the 5th worst running game in the league (e.g. no need to stack the box) and the next biggest receiving threats to him being Greg Little and Davon Bess.

He's been out a good long while but he did only go 27 in April so if he can shake all the rust he still has a 5-6 year window to get/keep at his best. Personally I'm just amazed almost, the Browns do have good options for Mayfield but Gordon even if Gordon is completely done he would have garnered a lot of attention for at least the first half of the year until teams wised on enough, and given more space of Mayfield's other options. Then feel free to ditch him the moment the season is over (and it's not like the Browns are making the playoffs) or once teams do notice and he stops providing more room for others.

Unless there is something major we don't know, I really think the Browns did a full on Browns here because it's not just pass catcher this year this could impact, it's their #1 overall rookie QB.

I just know GB won't go for Gordon, but the poor finish last year would place us better for waivers unlike the Pats as someone mentioned above - and it would be a pretty big boost on the boundary opposite Davante Adams with Cobb in the slot, Graham/M. Lewis at TE and all those young, huge athletic freaks in for depth. Rodgers really likes Geronimo Allison though so it's almost a certainty to not be happening.

It's crazy to think that is anyone is completely devoid of boundary receivers right now, they can actually go and pick up Gordon AND Bryant even after two full weeks of the regular season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The next three SNF games:

NE @ DET
    BAL @ PIT
    DAL @ HOU

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Teams I could see Gordon going to

Cowboys ( hopefully not as I don't think it would be good for him)
    Colts
    49ers
    New England ( probably best place for him?)
    Eagles (hopefully ha)
    Jags maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Hococop wrote: »
    Teams I could see Gordon going to

Cowboys ( hopefully not as I don't think it would be good for him)
    Colts
    49ers
    New England ( probably best place for him?)
    Eagles (hopefully ha)
    Jags maybe?

There's a Cowboys beat-writer who seems pretty clued in, and he's absolutely adamant that they have zero interest in Gordon so that appears to rule them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

JaMarcus wrote: »
    There's a Cowboys beat-writer who seems pretty clued in, and he's absolutely adamant that they have zero interest in Gordon so that appears to rule them out.

Good, not because I'm an eagles fan but I don't think that environment would be good for him just like Steelers and Seahawks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

First week was jammed with entertainment, and second week the kickers took the headlines. I love those sort of days.

Been a very interesting start to the season, Browns offering the most entertainment in terms of finishes. Surely after yesterday Bailey will have more than enough offers on the table.

Also do people remember Tavecchio, thought he was really good last year and now he's without a team. Wonder will someone take a punt on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

JaMarcus wrote: »

Wont be the Pats either. Browns say the compensation will be "Legit" in other words some team is going to give away prime picks and the Pats don't do that very often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

Adamocovic wrote: »
    First week was jammed with entertainment, and second week the kickers took the headlines. I love those sort of days.

Been a very interesting start to the season, Browns offering the most entertainment in terms of finishes. Surely after yesterday Bailey will have more than enough offers on the table.

Also do people remember Tavecchio, thought he was really good last year and now he's without a team. Wonder will someone take a punt on him.

surely the packers offered the best entertainment over the first 2 weeks.

cosatron wrote: »
    surely the packers offered the best entertainment over the first 2 weeks.

That's true, Packers games have both been highly entertaining and up there.

Maybe just bias as a lot of interest as turned on the Browns because of their drought and Hard Knocks. With the Browns games they have come so close now on two occasions to finally end the drought and in both times the manner of which they failed.

Both games have been those where you sit up and the Browns have been unexpectedly in a good position to win it, and then they do something brilliant and eventually mess it up.

Have to say though their Defence so far has looked very solid and they definitely should win a couple of games this season, but then again they could easily be 2-0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/1041679344932974593

Have the new contact / roughing the passer rules gone a bit too far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Average rating would have been higher had Alex Smith decided to continually throw the ball further than 3 yards when it was 3rd and 10.

infacteh wrote: »

Im one for the rules but that rule is just ridiculous. Over the top trying to protect QBs these days. A guy bringing down his weight is a penalty now? I would love someone from the NFL to demonstrate how to disobey the law of gravity and physics.

What is ridiculous is the how inconsistent they are with the rule also.

One thing I do hate still though is players hitting QBs low at the knees helmet first. There has been a couple of them so far and people defending the hit and its a dick move. QBs have no protection at the knees. I have seen a HS QB getting hit at the knees and his football career over before it began really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Wont be the Pats either. Browns say the compensation will be "Legit" in other words some team is going to give away prime picks and the Pats don't do that very often.

Definitely won't be multiple early round picks and would be shocked if it is anything higher than what the Raiders traded for Bryant, and if that high it should be a conditional. I'd say the Browns will have to decide between a higher pick that is conditional or a lower pick that isn't.

Would like the 9ers to go for him but only because Shanahan has a previous relationship and it looks like they've built a strong locker room and front office that should be able to provide Gordon the support he clearly needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

infacteh wrote: »

I wonder if new tactics help. Stafford was continually going under neath the coverage. Generally the 49ers missed a tackle and they got half decent yardage.

He took a few shots down field. The long ones all missed and he made a few mid ones into tight spaces.

Before judging it I would like to see how yards after catch has changed (or missed tackles if you like).

There were plenty of sacks in that game without a flag. You can easily avoid piling on a qb. It was down for an extra hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Dan Bailey signing with the Vikings,Christ they gonna be stronger than they already are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

brinty wrote: »
    Dan Bailey signing with the Vikings,Christ they gonna be stronger than they already are

Source? would be great if true!

• Advertisement

Seems like Vegas has Cowboys and Patriots as Favorites to grab Josh Gordon

markc91 wrote: »
    Source? would be great if true!

Think it's legit.

Twitter and Dallas new sites reporting it and the NFL fantasy football have his profile updated to say he's going Vikings.

They've just confirmed Carlson has been released so looks true.

Seems like Vegas has Cowboys and Patriots as Favorites to grab Josh Gordon

Think that was from yesterday. Odds as of 3 hours ago:

https://twitter.com/OddsShark/status/1041722850468671489

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Think that was from yesterday. Odds as of 3 hours ago:

https://twitter.com/OddsShark/status/1041722850468671489

Given the latest info that +800 would have been some nice money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Very surprised the Patriots are going for Gordon.

Yeah, Belichick has tolerated guys with attitude problems before, but add in stuff like being late for meetings and general accountability issues and I can’t see him lasting long there.

Paully D wrote: »
    Very surprised the Patriots are going for Gordon.

Yeah, Belichick has tolerated guys with attitude problems before, but add in stuff like being late for meetings and general accountability issues and I can’t see him lasting long there.

Probably not but if Bill can fix him it works out great for both parties. Besides how much does Gordon want to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Probably not but if Bill can fix him it works out great for both parties. Besides how much does Gordon want to win?

I’d say Gordon doesn’t give a bollocks in all honesty, he seems to be a mess to me with football being one of the last things on his mind, but who knows?

He must be a disaster for someone like the Browns to finally have had enough and give up on him and I doubt we’ve heard even the half of what he has been like behind closed doors.

Interesting one though. If a move to the Patriots doesn’t light a fire under him then nothing will.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    I’d say Gordon doesn’t give a bollocks in all honesty, he seems to be a mess to me with football being one of the last things on his mind, but who knows?

He must be a disaster for someone like the Browns to finally have had enough and give up on him and I doubt we’ve heard even the half of what he has been like behind closed doors.

Interesting one though. If a move to the Patriots doesn’t light a fire under him then nothing will.

Yup going to be an interesting one

5th rounder's a steal don't you think?

Small price to pay, even if he doesn't work out.

I just don't understand how the league values draft picks. I don't see how another team with a likely worse record could match that offer as it isn't as if he has a huge contract. At the 5th round you're taking a gamble anyway and if this one doesn't work they get a late pick back.

Apparently it was supposed to be a 6th!

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1041784583048650753

• Advertisement

Especially when you see what Patriots have done with less talented WRs.

All depends on how Gordon handles himself but he could be in store for big numbers with Brady throwing to him.

The person who was making the deal for the Patriots side didn’t realize they didn’t have a 6th round pick while negotiating? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Especially when you see what Patriots have done with less talented WRs.

All depends on how Gordon handles himself but he could be in store for big numbers with Brady throwing to him.

It is a gamble - but if BB can get Gordon's head on straight then he will be a weapon with Brady throwing to him.

The Pats needed to do something - the offence has only been playing in fits and starts so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The person who was making the deal for the Patriots side didn’t realize they didn’t have a 6th round pick while negotiating? :confused::confused::confused:

I found that interesting as well. You wouldn't expect it from a organisation like the patriots who normally have that stuff buttoned up.

Browns could have thought Pats had a 6th and the Pats countered with the deal above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Pats have a good record with these reaches but this guy might be beyond even them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

It is a gamble - but if BB can get Gordon's head on straight then he will be a weapon with Brady throwing to him.

The Pats needed to do something - the offence has only been playing in fits and starts so far.

Get his head on straight? BB has the cure for addiction now has he?

Do you not think being in an organisation like the patriots and working with BB could help Josh Gordon? They're kind of synonymous with structure and responsibility and I'd imagine to be a HC for so long, Belichick probably knows how to connect with players.

He also said "if".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Corey Coleman reportedly cut by NE following the Gordon trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Corey Coleman reportedly cut by NE following the Gordon trade.

Another Browns first round bust WR. Does BB just collect these guys?
    I didn't even realise he was at the Pats.

Do you not think being in an organisation like the patriots and working with BB could help Josh Gordon? They're kind of synonymous with structure and responsibility and I'd imagine to be a HC for so long, Belichick probably knows how to connect with players.

He also said "if".

It is definitely a big "if". It isn't as if Patriots players never get in trouble.

Some people work well with rigid structure while others push against it and need to be worked with differently. In general younger people these days post college don't respond well to that rigid style but the Patriots have that structure instilled in the locker room over the years so most buy into it. It is why I think a lot of the BB coaching tree struggle when they move away from the Patriots as it isn't transferable.

Also your sending him into one of the more complex receiver schemes in the league I can only imagine the browns had basic plays written in Crayon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Some people work well with rigid structure while others push against it and need to be worked with differently. In general younger people these days post college don't respond well to that rigid style but the Patriots have that structure instilled in the locker room over the years so most buy into it. It is why I think a lot of the BB coaching tree struggle when they move away from the Patriots as it isn't transferable.

Trying to replicate the 'Patriot Way' has never worked - it works in NE because BB is running the show and has been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

I'll root for Gordon.

He broke my heart for years not playing for the Browns. But that 13 season was really amazing to watch. I was also on my feet in week 1 when he caught the TD pass. He's a freak.
    Not sure about his head though and still not sure if we have heard everything about what happened on Saturday. He's a strange man. The stories of him (that he told) of him walking streets looking for drugs at night only 3 years ago are haunting. If he has 1000 yards + this year or next it really is a great turnaround story.

As a football fan i'm dreading Brady retiring. Watching his greatness week in week out is something i'll miss when he's gone. Who wouldn't want to see him with a weapon like him. I'm excited for it. Also we don't play the Pats this year

Also i read someone above saying "Did the idiot in the Browns not realise they had no 6th".
    I'm happy with Dorsey so far. When Hue is gone (Could be Friday, deffo the Monday after week 4 if they lose to Jets/Raiders) i'll be a lot happier.

Just Watching Kansas' offense has me excited about what he can do with the Browns. He put Kansas together.

Ward has looked like a a 1st round CB so far. Callaway in the 4th and Avery in the 5th look great value(If Callaway stops leaving gear in his car). Praying Baker is the real deal. It will be worth the wait if he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

gstack166 wrote: »
    Get his head on straight? BB has the cure for addiction now has he?
    There's no magic cure for addiction but one of the big things in any rehab process is replacing the addiction with something else. You'll often see alcohol addicts replacing it with a soft drink for example, gambling addicts replacing it with a sport etc.

BB is no idiot, he has definitely thought about this. If they can get Gordon to commit to football and make "winning a superbowl" his replacement, then this could be a heck of a deal for Patriots and Gordon

• Advertisement
Advertisement