Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not trying anything of the sort. You said the Eagles had a better offensive line and OC. I've responded to those two things but you don't want to engage about them probably because you have no answer. Ravens OC received an AP coordinator of the year award and he's in good company as far as offensive coordinators who have won the award. So you have no rebuttal as regards who is the better OC between the Eagles and Ravens.

Likewise the fact that the Eagles OL gave up six sacks when Minshew was under center doesn't suit your argument that they are a better OL than the Ravens so you ignore that too.

The eagles oline was also missing the vest right tackle in the league for those games but ya youd be fairly notorious for goalpost shifting

Goalpost shifting?

Read his post claiming the Eagles OL and OC were better than the Ravens

Then go read my response. There's no movement away from a topic he brought up.

Cop on and read posts before making accusations.

And try to be better with your English as well.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Christ thats me off again 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Please keep your comments civil and respectful, I have issued warnings and will ban users if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So you are claiming that the Ravens OL and OC were better last year than the Eagles?

You'd be quite unique in holding that opinion.

I agree, I think it is fair to say they've tried but they've clearly failed in what they were trying to do.

One of those 1st round WRs has already been traded away to draft that center and the other WR has been consistently injured, along with the injuries to the RB you've noted. By letting Roman walk they've also clearly accepted that he hasn't been doing a good job as an OC.

I never said that either. My point is that you can't say that there's a big gap between the Ravens OL or OC and that of the Eagles but you were making out that there was a huge gap between both.

The Ravens gave up 38 sacks over the season, the Eagles 44.

The Eagles were better in short yardage situations.

Overall there was very little between them.

Then the OC situation, Roman one of four OCs to win the AP coordinator of the year award and I've shared the names with you of the other three to win that award.

You come out and say that the Eagles OC is better based on his two seasons in Philly while Roman has been awarded at the highest level as a coordinator

And the funny thing is you rave about the quality of the Eagles receivers in comparison to the Ravens which means you should be putting less emphasis on the quality of the OC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Rodgers to the Jets is agreed. Flip of first rounders this year (13 to GB, 15 to NYJ), the Packers get a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year that becomes a 1st if Rodgers plays 65% of snaps. An exchange of late round picks too.

Feels like a slight overpay by the Jets, but the AFC becomes even more stacked.

• Advertisement

It's a crazy price for a 39 year old QB who didn't look anywhere near his best last season.

A third rounder seems about right to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That contract was a noose around the Packers neck too. Seems like the Jets blinked first.

I complete forgot about the contract, complete madness that.

The contract will be interesting. If GB take a decent hit the trade package makes more sense, if not it will be very hard for it to be worth it.

At this stage I can't really fault the Jets for gambling as they've been struggling for years at QB and in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

according to some reports, rodgers is going to restructure his GB contract before the trade to save GB some cap space. Classy move by him, god it going to be strange not to see him out there, even when the defence was giving up points, i always felt we had a chance with him under center but as eagle says his play this year was poor and Love looked good against the eagles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Jets overpaid because they were desperate and lacking other options at this stage, they hitched their horse to Rodgers too early. But hopefully it works out for them and him.

From a Packers pov its a great haul for a player who was apparently 90% sure he was going to retire two months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭boccy23

Be interested to see what contract is transferred. As it stands, the Jets are on the hook for $60M this year. No idea even if their cap can take that. The compensation seems crazy from the Jets when you ask yourself who else was in the race? Can't think of another side that was even remotely interested in taking Rodgers.

Wilson is not the answer but they have jettisoned a second overall pick now as well. When you add that to what is happening with Becton, there have been some misses which are now costing them. Could well have to draft another tackle this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Meh, as a Jets fan I'm happy enough with it. When you've been in QB purgatory as long as this team have, a 40 year old Rodgers is an absolute God send! We were getting excited about Mike White last year for fu*k sake😂

The only part of the deal I dont like is the lack of insurance if he decides to call it quits after one year

It'll be interesting to see the contract details when its inevitably reworked

Agreed - I'd much rather my team made a swing like that even if it is a bit of an overpay if there isn't a good option there.

No other option they could have gotten would have been better than Rodgers, aside from potentially getting Lamar (not to open up that conversation again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah ask any Rams fans if their one Superbowl was worth it to trash future drafts and I'd say most would agree it's worth it

• Advertisement

If Rodgers gets back near his best the Jets have a chance to do something but it's only a chance because you've got Josh Allen in the division and Tua, if he can stay healthy, with Waddle and Hill. It's a pretty stacked division and with Bill O'Brien back in New England, if he gets that offense ticking they'll be quite dangerous too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It'll be weird seeing Rodgers wearing a different number after so long. And yes, I know he wore 8 in college.

Once you get past about pick 20 theres a good chance a pick dosent work out anyway so assuming their late first round picks its a no brainer id think. I think as fans we probably massivly overvalue picks 20-32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

The jets have a season, maybe two before that roster starts to get really expensive. It’s worth a swing on Rodgers in the meantime. They probably did overpay a little but they still have a first round pick this year and a chance to make a run which they haven’t had in some time.

Bills will still be favourites for the Division but I don’t think their roster is massively ahead of the Jets now that they have a real QB. It may not work out for whatever reason but Jets fans should be really excited going in to the season

I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

In 2020, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk, Patrick Queen and the as yet untested Jordan Love all went in the twenties.

In 2019 you had Josh Jacobs, Andre Dillard, Noah Fant, Darnell Savage and Marquise Brown.

In 2018 Lamar, Frank Ragnow, DK Moore and Calvin Ridley all went in the 20's.

The Patriots have selected late in a lot of drafts since Belichick took over and they had six first team all-pros picked in the twenties in that time.

The Steelers picked Cam Heyward, David deCastro and TJ Watt with late first round picks.

The Packers picked Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews, Kenny Clark and Jaire Alexander and a few other great ones in the twenties.

The Saints for Cam Jordan, Mark Ingram, Andrus Peat, Brandon Cooks and Ryan Ramczyk in the twenties.

I'm just picking out teams there that regularly had division wins and picked late regularly as a result.

Picking in the twenties might be a little more risky than in the top team or even the teens but there's lots of great players picked in the twenties.

So theres about a 50/50 chance at best you get a decent player and a significantly lower chance you get a high end player

Going back that far proves my point if anything

Decastro and hayward where 12 years ago

Aaaron rodgers was drafted nearly 20 years ago, matthews is retired for 3-4 years

The pats have selected 1 pro bowler in the last decade and that was mac jones at 15

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Washington declining the 5th year option on Chase Young. Just shows that even when you think you get it right in the draft, that it can still go so wrong based on injuries, a lack or work ethic or a combination as seems to be the case here. Would be surprised if he still didn't get a decent second contract though.

Funnily enough, the Giants / WFT game in week 17 of that season was seen as the Chase Young bowl. The Giants won and converted that into Andrew Thomas who now looks like a far better result. Would not have thought it at the time or after their rookie seasons.

Have you.looked at 0-20 and seen what the success rate is there?

No because nobody was talking about 0-20 its not relevant

• Advertisement

You were saying that there's too much weight given to picks 20 to 32. If it's a similar or slightly less percentage of success than 1 to 19 then it makes your argument weak.

Ok sure picks 1-20 are also worthless 🙄

You named guys like andre dillard as your 20s successes its very obvious high first rd picks are valuable

The success rate of those picks is what's important.

Maybe I rate Dillard higher than others. He was unlucky with injuries with the Eagles but looked really good when he started. We'll see how he does with the Titans.

No success rate and upside matter theres generally more upside higher up.

Again though i said i think we overvalue 20 on how we value 19 and earlier is not mutually exclusive so not relevant

NFL teams agree with you - teams rarely have even 20 first round grades in a given draft. Fans definitely overvalue those later first round picks who are actually deemed 2nd round players by the teams, especially when it comes to gaining those picks in trades.

This year seems to be a very poor year on first round graded talent so hoping tonight to be wilder than normal, with teams more willing to move and a few WTF picks based on consensus board.

I've read 19 first round grades is what most people have this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Lamar and Ravens agreed a deal

I'm off for one thunderous w*nk!

NEVADA 2024, I'M COMING!

Per reports, the new highest paid player in NFL history and highest practical guarantees in NFL history for a player staying on his current team.

Not bad for a 'running back' who couldn't play QB, with no agent and many claimed was making a complete mess of his negotiations.

The deal should make a load of cap space for this year. Plenty of room to add more talent

When you see all these guys becoming the highest paid ever in the league I have to laugh. Why would you be paying any QB more than what Mahomes got? He's the best, his figure should be the max available for any QB.

• Advertisement

Who said Lamar couldn't play QB?

And just when I'm thinking about that, I think the most underrated QB in this class is Lamar's successor at Louisville, Malik Cunningham. The Ravens should draft him, he's very similar to Lamar. Not as good as Lamar but a perfect replacement if Lamar misses time.

Saved himself about $8,000,000 in agent fees haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

https://sports.yahoo.com/lamar-jackson-ravens-agree-to-5-year-extension-worth-reported-260m-with-185m-guaranteed-202436266.html

Only $185mn guaranteed for Lamar, so much for his holding out to get more than Watson's $230mn guaranteed. And so much for certain posters in this thread saying he was worth more guaranteed money than Watson.

Its still a huge sum of money by other positions standards obviously, but the Ravens were proven right to play hard ball with him here. Finding out there was no market in the league for what he was demanding seems to have softened his expectations by a substantial amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Because no team can get Mahomes. So his price is not relevant. Burrow will be the highest paid qb very soon, would you rather the Bengals let him walk? They don't have the option of getting Mahomes at the Mahomes price. Same reason teams still paid QBs even when Brady was on less.

I think some teams would be smart to try and get a 10 year deal like Mahomes has but not sure if that is realistic in every case.

Once a team pays more it's over but it should never have happened in the first place.

Texans take Stroud at 2 then trade up to 3 for Anderson. Anderson is going to be a great player.

It's hard to know about Stroud, he looked great in college but he had all day to throw the ball with two great tackles protecting him.

Is Mahomes the best QB in the league with the CV to back up his talent - Yes.

But as Christy says, Mahomes is off the board & cannot be gotten by any other team so their only alternative is to figure out which other QB gives them the best chance at winning a SB.

Eagles think Hurts, Ravens think Jackson, Cardinals think Murray, etc...If one of those teams win a SB the contracts will be worth every red cent.

That's before we get into the overall market and inflation.

The best QB in the draft is the third one off the board!

Well done, Colts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

And 3/4 QBs so far Richardson goes 4 to the Colts.

Wonder how long until Levis comes off the board

Lions have their eye on Gonzalez and assuming he's going to drop to them?

Either very brave or immensely stupid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement