Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1042854890400346123?s=21

Trump and Big Ben, hahaha you couldn’t get two bigger sex pests! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Can we start a papparazzi thread so I can just ignore it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If gruden gets fired after 2 years does he get the full 100 mill if so he's nailing this

As far as I know HC contracts are fully guaranteed unless he signs for another team. So if I'm right John gruden could sit in the office from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    As far as I know HC contracts are fully guaranteed unless he signs for another team. So if I'm right John gruden could sit in the office from now on.

A few weeks ago they were discussing it on one of those NFL Network shows and one of them said it's actually a 5 year deal with team options after that, although how that person knew that or if it's true is anyone's guess. As far as I know the contract details haven't been released but it makes more sense than a straight up 10 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Browns!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Why oh why did I put a Browns WR as my fantasy flex :(

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

conor222 wrote: »
    I just got my Maholmes jersey from DHgate, they're not official but top quality knockoffs and costed about 15 euros delivered. got it in 2 weeks as well. I'll have it in the woolshed this weekend if you wanna take a look

Straight on to get my Mayfield one.

Wish i could get the colour rush one from last night.

My Josh Cribbs and Trent Richardson ones came from Asia and the quality was superb. Got bought an official Manziel one and it's brutal.

Realistically you're not going to wear it more than a couple of times a year. Mental spending big money on them imo.

Yes i have a Trent Richardson and Manziel Browns Jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Got bought an official Manziel one and it's brutal.

Appropriate don’t you think?

I’ve seen Browns Manziel jerseys in the wild twice, worn by two different people!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

They had the Colour Rush one!!

No flies on them over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

They had the Colour Rush one!!

No flies on them over there.
    Merchandise ordering online question, lads-

Normally order off Fanatic, NFL Europestore and NFLshop in the US which has the biggest selection of merch

There's a few shirts I want, mostly salute to services, which are between $99-$149 dollars

I find DH Gate/Ali brilliant for the jerseys. ~€20 for what you pay over four times that in the shop.
    Got several off them over the last few years and still wear them.
    Revis was the first one I got, worn a good bit and only slight bubbling to the number is only defect after being through the was plenty of time.
    Have a Dennis Byrd throwback which is still in great condition, also have an OBJ jersey with no defects. Got the missus a custom Jets jersey womans fit too. All them are stitched are top quality.

Got the father in law a custom Salute to Service Jets jersey, I'll see if I can root out the photo for ABC if he wants to see the quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Any idea where I'd get a cotton tshirt with Mayfield on the back and browns logo on the front? Something like this...

https://www.nflshop.com/cleveland-browns/mens-cleveland-browns-baker-mayfield-nfl-pro-line-by-fanatics-branded-brown-icon-name-and-number-t-shirt/t-14158049+p-7089033727363+z-9-955373588

I can see it on the US store but none of the Europe/Ali based stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

What're the fits like on the Jerseys off DH/Ali? Wondering what size to order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Nothing like waking up to a smig message from the missus after the Browns win.

They'll be unbearable soon :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Say what you want about the Browns all 3 of their games could have went either way, came down to the wire, they're entertaining to watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Loughc wrote: »
    Say what you want about the Browns all 3 of their games could have went either way, came down to the wire, they're entertaining to watch!
    And going by the reaction of the fans that win meant as much to them as a superb owl would to others

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Agree regarding the Browns fans. They've taken on a comical approach during the difficult times of late and now are going crazy, rightly so.

Yesterday when Baker came on the atmosphere was unbelievable. Every play was met with a thunderous roar and cheer. Loved the celebrations for the field goal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Ive never been a lover of colour rush.... but im mad to get a browns jersey from last night... only have peppers, haden and barnidge!
    One of the nicest jerseys i think... like the niners black and red one.... but could never buy a niners jersey! Haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Loughc wrote: »
    Could easily be top of the AFC North and a some way to a possible playoff appearance if things had gone their way or had they started Mayfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Only a few teams will afford the contract, colts?

Hococop wrote: »
    Only a few teams will afford the contract, colts?

I’d be thinking them or the Niners if I had to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Paully D wrote: »
    I’d be thinking them or the Niners if I had to pick.

That would be alot of cap space on the 49ers with Jimmy g and him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hococop wrote: »
    That would be alot of cap space on the 49ers with Jimmy g and him

Teams need to rebuild or make a push. You don't often get stars for trade. Packers should go right in and figure out a way. Get an actual running back for the running back position

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I would say the Browns (lot of cap space, and an OC who's worked with Bell before and from what I can see, Bell has been fairly complimentary about Haley publicly) but there's very little chance they'll deal him to the same division.

You know Gamepass has been great when you get the warning from the Sky box that it’s about to turn off because you haven’t touched the remote in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Another cracking Redzone. Been watching for years but finally mustered up for Gamepass and worth every penny so far! Also been binging the full NFL film documentaries rather than snippets from youtube.

Bills and Browns winning this week. Dolphins 3-0, Patriots with a worse record than the Browns, Brees breaking records, Mahomes flying with no sign of stopping, and more over time finishes.

What a crazy start to the season it has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Teams need to rebuild or make a push. You don't often get stars for trade. Packers should go right in and figure out a way. Get an actual running back for the running back position
    He's my favourite RB in the league, maybe my favourite since I started watching in 2002 after LT... and I hope GB go nowhere near him. We've already got Williams, Jones and Monty who make up a solid combo and have much bigger needs elsewhere.

Last night those three combined for 87 yards on just 15 carries, 5.8 per attempt - and picked up 69 more yards on 9 receptions. Monty was OK running but doing more catching passes (shame he can't pass block or he'd be one of the best 3rd down backs in the league), Williams looked like what he is which is a solid, well rounded back without the next level explosiveness but who can carry inside (and out, a bit), pass catches and block, and Aaron Jones showed exactly why I wrote that long thread about him in the Packers game - the guy is more dangerous with the ball in hand than anyone Rodgers has ever had in his career. Only Jones has real star potential there, but it's a very solid and well rounded trio that has worked well for many teams over the years.

The problem isn't the talent back there (and personally I would not have got rid of Ripkowski either) but the lack of chances they are given which has been a problem for years and years at this point so long as Rodgers is healthy. At this stage it's fair to say that Mike McCarthy doesn't know how to establish a run game, or really even have much interest in it. In the first half we had 64 yards rushing on 11 carries, and so in the second we just decided to completely abandon it with 4 carries out of 40 plays (yes, 10% of the time!) for 10 yards, completely destroying the decent momentum we had there.

Running pass plays *73% of the time (141 pass plays vs 53 running plays this season) is ridiculous no matter what the circumstances are, yet this seems to be the order of the day since 2011 if Rodgers is fit, regardless of anything and everything else. It's no different to 2016 when we had passed 71% of the time (725 pass plays vs 294 running plays) - it doesn't matter who you have back there if you refuse to give them the ball. Look at the Patriots for an example of how to balance better - last year they only passed 60% of the time, the same in 2016 and this year they are passing just 59% of the time. That type of balance is much healthier than what we are seeing in GB, and I'm not even seeing a tonne to help me believe McCarthy has any remote interest in changing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1044232362689728514?s=19

Another player on D gone for Atlanta, they're luckless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

From what we've seen for three weeks this season are the Chiefs for real ? I'd say yes as unless there is a big drop off or injuries I don't see where the trap doors come from. Patrick mahomes is a special talent. He has a canon for an arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Their D is the obvious trap door.

They're muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jesus, that is completely demoralising for them.

Wow, Schefter reporting that the Patriots planned to trade Gronk to the Lions for draft picks but he said he’d retire if they did it.

What is with them gutting (or at least being willing to) their receiving options close to Brady’s last window?

Heck of a rap sheet that Josh Gordon has.

Hope he gets his head straight and sorts himself out. You'd have to imagine if football can't sort his life out nothing will. Very sad story

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wow, Schefter reporting that the Patriots planned to trade Gronk to the Lions for draft picks but he said he’d retire if they did it.

What is with them gutting (or at least being willing to) their receiving options close to Brady’s last window?

Gronk confirmed it after the game yesterday.

They said all of that on the Sunday night broadcast last night. Gronk confirmed it in an interview afterwards saying that Brady is the only QB he wants throwing passes to him. So when Brady goes we know Gronk is going too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Lions and forcing HOFers to retire early. Name a more iconic duo.

I watch redzone a bit but I much prefer to watch a full game. It's become a t more popular these days, it seems to me that those who watch it all the time are score junkies more than real football fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

Shedite27 wrote: »

Hope he gets his head straight and sorts himself out. You'd have to imagine if football can't sort his life out nothing will. Very sad story

Damn, thats an impressive (awful) rapsheet. Hes lucky hes not dead or in jail. The Patriots really are his last chance saloon. Hopefully the strict atmosphere there gets him sober.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

eagle eye wrote: »
    I watch redzone a bit but I much prefer to watch a full game. It's become a t more popular these days, it seems to me that those who watch it all the time are score junkies more than real football fans.

I couldn't watch redzone - I need to see the shifting momentum in a game - the adaptations and how players and coaches deal with what the opposition throw at them. It has to be a full game for me all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

No ads.
    Cleat winner for me. (TV timeouts can lump it).

It does jump around a bit too much for me but a price I am willing to pay (especially since I am paying for a virgin box anyway and so it is nothing extra while full games would be).

RedZone is good to have to switch over to during ads etc, and with just 2-3 games on at the same time it can be OK too as they tend to spend long periods with each one. But with 5-6 games on I just can't keep any focus on it at all beyond it being background TV if I'm doing something else at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Is it possible they see Brady as having his window closed or closing at this point. If they don't feel they can give him the support he needs for the season they may feel they are better off loading up on picks for the next generation.

So it might be they don't have faith in Brady or faith in the defense to do enough to give them a shot at the SB.

Hence the desire for long term value? Not sure I would agree but it is the only logic I can see.

Shedite27 wrote: »

This is at least pretty reassuring to read that he is fully aware of, and something he surely won't have in NE under Belichick: “I’ve been enabled most of my life honestly,” Gordon said. “I’ve been enabled by coaches, teachers, professors — everybody pretty much gave me a second chance just because of my ability.”

The guy got 87 catches for 1,650 yards and 9 TDs with Weeden and Jason Campbell throwing him the ball, and did it in only 14 games (extrapolated to 16 it would be 1,881 - second most in league history). He might take a small bit to bed in, but I've a feeling Brady is going to link up with him similar to Moss, and in 6-7 months time (is it a 1 year deal?) there is going to be an absolutely mad scramble to sign him for big money from a number of WR hungry teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Redzone is a much better way to enjoy the first 8 or 9 weeks of the season as at that stage the games have less importance and context at that stage of th season.

Also considering the amount of stoppages in American football it avoids that part of the sport which has always turned people off it.

Redzone is a much better way to enjoy the first 8 or 9 weeks of the season as at that stage the games have less importance and context at that stage of th season.

Also considering the amount of stoppages in American football it avoids that part of the sport which has always turned people off it.
    Gamepass had an excellent setup last year that allowed four games at once which was great for the ads issue (you might only get 2-3 combined minutes over a whole series of games where all were at break). I'm not on it this year, but they've apparently decided to get rid of it for seemingly no reason whatsoever. :confused:

Yeah Redzone is a good way at the start of the season of staying on top of things and seeing other teams. Then as we figure out who are the contenders you know what games to invest 3 hrs in a game that matters.

8-9.30 on a Sunday night is the best hour of Redzone. There was one night last year that had about 6 last second finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

I usually go with both, either the Jets or whatever matchup I've the most interest in on one screen and then gamepass on the other, best of both worlds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Poor Jimmy GQ.

Off topic - are the Steelers (11/10) worth a big bet @ Tampa Bay tonight?

Need to put a bankroll together for the Ryder Cup, and am thinking their D will want to improve after the fiasco against my Chiefs last week

Advertisement