Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Poor Jimmy GQ.

Off topic - are the Steelers (11/10) worth a big bet @ Tampa Bay tonight?

Need to put a bankroll together for the Ryder Cup, and am thinking their D will want to improve after the fiasco against my Chiefs last week

I wouldn't bet on that game at all, the Steelers might be in full meltdown mode, or they could be on a mission to prove they are still a serious team after all the shenanigans. Tampa meanwhile have an absolutely freakish run of form from their backup QB, and I wouldn't like to guess if, or how long, that will last. To me that game is the definition of a toss up. If I had to bet I'd be going with the Buccs though. But I wouldn't bet big on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Off topic - are the Steelers (11/10) worth a big bet @ Tampa Bay tonight?

Well the Bucs are 2-0 and have beaten the 2-1 Saints and the 2-1 Superbowl champ Eagles. Yes they've both won the other two games not against Tampa Bay.
    Meanwhile the Steelers tied with the Browns and got beat by the Chiefs.
    It'll most likely be a high scoring game but it's anybody's guess who will win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Any more on Antonio brown situation or is that all sorted again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The Rock acts as translator for a 49ers beat reporter

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/1044034241900687361

Given what we saw last season and in preseason this year there is in fact a high likelihood that Beathard will be a Roody-poo. After the NFL/TV companies buying into the Jimmy G hype they’re not going to be happy with the 5 prime time games they gave them (potentially can only get out of one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Oat23 wrote: »
    The Lions and forcing HOFers to retire early. Name a more iconic duo.

The Lions and beating the Patriots with a 100 yard rusher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

This **** ain’t good for your health

Did you bet?

Did you bet?

Aye

70 got me 140

Put that on a USA win this weekend

That’s my gambling done for the week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm raging. Was hoping that this was a slow descent for the Steelers. Dang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

phatkev wrote: »

I just hope he gets to live out his dream of seeing his parents die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

phatkev wrote: »

Jesus grim is the word and not a bit grim very grim. I mean unless he's trying to play to the fans who like the old school football, but just look at the issues players from generations past are going through.

A quick off topic but been offered a trade of Jimmy Graham and Willie Snead for Matt Brenda and Brandon Cooks in my league

Worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

God no. Breida and Cooks way, way more valuable. Breida's the leading rusher in the league (granted, that probably won't last but he's still valuable) and Cooks is the 5th leading receiver in the league on a high scoring team.

Graham and Snead are 57th and 61st.

Even look at the fantasy points they've accrued to date:

Breida (38.70) and Cooks (34.20)
    Graham (14.80) and Snead (20.20)

JaMarcus wrote: »
    God no. Breida and Cooks way, way more valuable. Breida's the leading rusher in the league (granted, that probably won't last but he's still valuable) and Cooks is the 5th leading receiver in the league on a high scoring team.

Graham and Snead are 57th and 61st.

Even look at the fantasy points they've accrued to date:

Breida (38.70) and Cooks (34.20)
    Graham (14.80) and Snead (20.20)

Cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Breida and Cooks are the better pair by a fair bit.

https://www.fantasysp.com/nfl_trade_analyzer/

This is a good tool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No. I wouldn't do it. Maybe counter and try to get a better WR/RB than Snead. Brieda is the top rusher in the league.

D9Male wrote: »
    Breida and Cooks are the better pair by a fair bit.

https://www.fantasysp.com/nfl_trade_analyzer/

This is a good tool.

That’s a brilliant site! Thank you for sharing it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Eric Reid finally has a team.

Panthers signed him to a 1 year deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good signing overall if his play on the field is worth the distractions that will come with his signing

I wouldn't have minded him on the Giants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

After missing all of last season with injury - Jake Butt, TE, Denver, is out for the rest of the season with an ACL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

After missing all of last season with injury - Jake Butt, TE, Denver, is out for the rest of the season with an ACL

Wasn't it the same injury last season

brinty wrote: »
    Wasn't it the same injury last season

Yep - blew out his knee in the Orange Bowl - don't know if it was the same knee.

Happened today in a non-contact walk-through drill.

Butt has already had two torn ACLs one on each knee - this one is his left knee.

Some game in LA tonight.

Goff has been immense.

Flight at 850 so had to call it a night. Raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I must say the improvement in Goff has been nothing short of sensational. I found it really hard to imagine him thriving in the NFL during his first season, but he was good last season and he has been lights out this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I must say the improvement in Goff has been nothing short of sensational. I found it really hard to imagine him thriving in the NFL during his first season, but he was good last season and he has been lights out this season.

The difference in him with McVeigh at the helm is why Jeff Fisher will never coach again in the league.

I just watched the highlights there. He was sensational.

The second Kupp TD and Cook's first TD were unreal.
    Vikes were good too, that's how good LA were.

• Advertisement

The difference in him with McVeigh at the helm is why Jeff Fisher will never coach again in the league.

That being said, McVay seems to be an absolute freak of nature of a coach. And being backed up by the Son of Bum on Defence... Ridiculous set up.

That being said, McVay seems to be an absolute freak of nature of a coach. And being backed up by the Son of Bum on Defence... Ridiculous set up.

Reminds me of Andy ried and jimmy Johnson back in the day. Joy to watch

Reminds me of Andy ried and jimmy Johnson back in the day. Joy to watch

It blows my mind that we wouldn't pay Wade Phillips to keep him on. Whatever about our QB and HC woes, that has to be seen as dumb a move as any. I mean, SB50 was on his D ffs!

****in' Elway!

It blows my mind that we wouldn't pay Wade Phillips to keep him on. Whatever about our QB and HC woes, that has to be seen as dumb a move as any. I mean, SB50 was on his D ffs!

****in' Elway!

Elway made a lot of bonehead moves last year -

Firing Phillips
    Hiring Joseph (didn't even interview McVay)
    Hiring McCoy
    The draft
    Free Agency (wouldn't sign Whitworth because he was supposed to be too old)

And a whole list of smaller stupidity (Matt Russell is still working in the FO)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Earl Thomas is going to regret giving in on his holdout. Seahawks will probably also regret not getting a pick for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Is it just me, or does there seem to be more shootouts and tied games happening this season then before?
    I wonder what the stats are for this season vs previous years for rate of scoring and OT games...

Elway made a lot of bonehead moves last year -

Firing Phillips
    Hiring Joseph (didn't even interview McVay)
    Hiring McCoy
    The draft
    Free Agency (wouldn't sign Whitworth because he was supposed to be too old)

And a whole list of smaller stupidity (Matt Russell is still working in the FO)

I wasn't even willing to list off the **** show. :)
    Knew you'd help out JRG

The Phillips thing just really sticks in the craw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

BizzyC wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does there seem to be more shootouts and tied games happening this season then before?
    I wonder what the stats are for this season vs previous years for rate of scoring and OT games...
    Is this the first year of overtime being 10 mins? That would account for some of it.

The woeful kicking also helps

I was thinking that myself. It would be nice to get to bed at a fairly decent hour on a Sunday for once :)

Goddam browns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

The number of games going to overtime seems to be the same - 5 after 4 weeks, would track with a fairly typical season. That said it certainly feels like we've had more than normal - maybe because of the tied games, which is unusual, but too early in the year to say it's a trend.

The move to a ten minute OT period is defintiely going to lead to more ties, it effectively takes a couple of drives away from the end of the period (should they be needed of course) I'm not really sure what the thinking behind it was.

It is leading to some unusual tactical decisions though - the Colts deciding to go for it on 4th and 5 as the game wound down last night, knowing that if they didn't make it Houston had a simple task of taking over at the Colts 40 yard line with 20 seconds left, essentially handing the win to the Texans rather than accept a tie (Mad really - if they were not a divisional opponant I could see the reasoning)

The explosion in passing is the real story of the first 4 weeks for me. It feels like watching the CFL at times now. 5 QBs are on pace to break the season passing record, and 8 have a shot at it! 11 QBs have a chance at breaking 5K yards. I love a good shootout as much as the next person, but it really does take some fun out of the game if every game is a (so called) barnburner. You become immune to big plays and touchdowns. Instead of it being a precious occurence worthy of celebration it's just waiting to see if the opposition march back down the field in 90 seconds to score for themselves. Hard to explain really, but similar to the way a basket scored in basketball is hardly cause for celebration during the course of a game.

• Advertisement

The number of games going to overtime seems to be the same - 5 after 4 weeks, would track with a fairly typical season. That said it certainly feels like we've had more than normal - maybe because of the tied games, which is unusual, but too early in the year to say it's a trend.

The move to a ten minute OT period is defintiely going to lead to more ties, it effectively takes a couple of drives away from the end of the period (should they be needed of course) I'm not really sure what the thinking behind it was.

It is leading to some unusual tactical decisions though - the Colts deciding to go for it on 4th and 5 as the game wound down last night, knowing that if they didn't make it Houston had a simple task of taking over at the Colts 40 yard line with 20 seconds left, essentially handing the win to the Texans rather than accept a tie (Mad really - if they were not a divisional opponant I could see the reasoning)

The explosion in passing is the real story of the first 4 weeks for me. It feels like watching the CFL at times now. 5 QBs are on pace to break the season passing record, and 8 have a shot at it! 11 QBs have a chance at breaking 5K yards. I love a good shootout as much as the next person, but it really does take some fun out of the game if every game is a (so called) barnburner. You become immune to big plays and touchdowns. Instead of it being a precious occurence worthy of celebration it's just waiting to see if the opposition march back down the field in 90 seconds to score for themselves. Hard to explain really, but similar to the way a basket scored in basketball is hardly cause for celebration during the course of a game.

Yeah it's cutting open the goose that lays the golden eggs. Someone in the NFL sees that people like seeing big passing plays, and decides "we'll give them all the passing plays they can handle", changes the rules to stymie the defense and undercut the value of running, and suddenly there's lots of passing plays but their value as a spectacle is effectively ruined. It's ice hockey all over again, they're underestimating their own fans' intelligence and cheapening what makes the game great in the process. To me great defense is its own reward (who could not enjoy watching Khalil Mack play?), but more importantly it adds value to the enjoyment of great QB play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yeah it's cutting open the goose that lays the golden eggs. Someone in the NFL sees that people like seeing big passing plays, and decides "we'll give them all the passing plays they can handle", changes the rules to stymie the defense and undercut the value of running, and suddenly there's lots of passing plays but their value as a spectacle is effectively ruined. It's ice hockey all over again, they're underestimating their own fans' intelligence and cheapening what makes the game great in the process. To me great defense is its own reward (who could not enjoy watching Khalil Mack play?), but more importantly it adds value to the enjoyment of great QB play.
    I really, really don't think the qb protection rule has led to Fitzpatrick looking like Brees. I mean QBs are still getting sacked plenty and some defenses still look damn near unbreakable (including Mack). I think something else is happening in the league though I am not sure what.

Was there another rule change I missed?

Christy42 wrote: »
    I really, really don't think the qb protection rule has led to Fitzpatrick looking like Brees.

He didn't look like Brees yesterday. Actually for all his heroics at the end of the game last week, I thought Fitzpatrick looked like he was back to his old self early on that week, and they should have gone with Winston. But Mack kicked the crap out of him too, so probably wouldn't have made a difference.

I really, really don't think the qb protection rule has led to Fitzpatrick looking like Brees.

He didn't look like Brees yesterday. Actually for all his heroics at the end of the game last week, I thought Fitzpatrick looked like he was back to his old self early on that week, and they should have gone with Winston. But Mack kicked the crap out of him too, so probably wouldn't have made a difference.
    Yeah I got that he was not great yesterday. As for who should get the starting nod, well Fitzpatrick at least entertains the fans. Winston is better but will likely lose anyway with that team. Plus a bit of randomness is a good thing when you are expecting bottom tier results. Only so much lower they can go.

It was more a reference to the increased yardage from QBs. I mean I don't think the protection rule has affected the yardage as much as we are seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

It was more a reference to the increased yardage from QBs. I mean I don't think the protection rule has affected the yardage as much as we are seeing.

Well I don't think it was any one single particular thing, but an acculmulation of rule changes that have thrown the doors open for bombs away passing offenses.
    • Illegal contact and use of hands was enforced more stictly, giving WR pretty much free release off the line.
    • New/more bunch formations which allow offensive players to "pick/rub" defensive players for more seperation.
    • QBs given protection from hits low, hits high and late hits mean they can step up/stay in the pocket and hold the ball until the last moment.
    • Helmet to helmet hits on defenseless receivers meant they could go up for more balls and go across the middle with impunity....further changed to leading with the helmet, defenseless or not.
    • and this year the enforcement of roughing the passer to include use of bodyweight and slamming into the ground.

.....all this adds up to WR and QBs who don't have any fear, can't really be touched, grabbed, checked, and without sounding too callous, can't be hurt the same way as before.

Well I don't think it was any one single particular thing, but an acculmulation of rule changes that have thrown the doors open for bombs away passing offenses.
    • Illegal contact and use of hands was enforced more stictly, giving WR pretty much free release off the line.
    • New/more bunch formations which allow offensive players to "pick/rub" defensive players for more seperation.
    • QBs given protection from hits low, hits high and late hits mean they can step up/stay in the pocket and hold the ball until the last moment.
    • Helmet to helmet hits on defenseless receivers meant they could go up for more balls and go across the middle with impunity....further changed to leading with the helmet, defenseless or not.
    • and this year the enforcement of roughing the passer to include use of bodyweight and slamming into the ground.

.....all this adds up to WR and QBs who don't have any fear, can't really be touched, grabbed, checked, and without sounding too callous, can't be hurt the same way as before.
    Good comprehensive list.

Maybe there are other issues with the structure of the game if defenders had to resort to late/low hits to try and even up the field. Noticeable that top defenders are largely unaffected. It is really when passing against weaker teams without stand out players given Mack has still been a wrecking ball and the Jags have shut down any offense that has gone against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think i remember when the bengals and panthers tied around two years ago, thst it was pointed out as being the first tie in 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

On the issue of the rule changes towards to the offense side of the ball. I agree it's gone too far in some respects but when you compare it to the 1970s when a WR or QB could be legally mugged basically. I hope that the NFL can make it more balanced but keep player safety part of it.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    On the issue of the rule changes towards to the offense side of the ball. I agree it's gone too far in some respects but when you compare it to the 1970s when a WR or QB could be legally mugged basically. I hope that the NFL can make it more balanced but keep player safety part of it.
    Indeed. Players like Clay Matthews are more than happy to harp on about the physicality being lost in the game when they are the guys who get to hit people standing in vulnerable positions as opposed to being on the receiving end.

Maybe allow a bit more jamming? Can't imagine that caused too many more injuries and would require offenses work a bit more to get them free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

With clay it's understandable he has never been a dirty player, has doubled his career roughing the passing calls in the first 3 games.

Obviously player safety has to come into it, I think it was the Packers in fact who basically ended Jim mcmahon career by ****ing up his shoulder, even had a hit list of players to injure on their towels, that sort of **** has to be 0 tolerance, but considering a guy got flagged for hugging a qb last week..... Something has to change, the rule now has no definition but is up to if the ref thinks it is roughing ffs

• Advertisement
Advertisement