Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

With clay it's understandable he has never been a dirty player, has doubled his career roughing the passing calls in the first 3 games.

Obviously player safety has to come into it, I think it was the Packers in fact who basically ended Jim mcmahon career by ****ing up his shoulder, even had a hit list of players to injure on their towels, that sort of **** has to be 0 tolerance, but considering a guy got flagged for hugging a qb last week..... Something has to change, the rule now has no definition but is up to if the ref thinks it is roughing ffs
    Didn't mean to call him dirty. He tackles how he was taught. I don't think he is intentionally going to injure someone but I doubt many of those going for the knees where either. It just made their job easier.
    However there does need to be a realisation that a qb is not in a great position to defend themselves. It is rarely a fair fight. The difficulty in the position is largely in the offensive line (though Wilson and Cam etc. have changed this a bit).

I think Clay has struggled more than most (but not all) to adapt his technique which has likely frustrated him as he does the tough stuff of getting to the qb.

I just think it is hilarious that the person in the hitting others role feel like they should be able to hit harder. It just feels like an obvious opinion no matter what the rules are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

How 'bout them Titans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    How 'bout them Titans.

Yeah how 'bout them Titans alright. Well done btw on showing the deficiencies of the Eagles secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

What we expecting from Chiefs @ Donkeys tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

A bloodbath probably. Only hope for a few turnovers and that the chiefs defense keeps up their poor start to the season. I'll go for 35-21 chiefs. Kelce with a monster night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

On GMFB this morning they showed an instagram comment from Bell to Earl Thomas saying "I'll continue being the "bad guy" for all of us."

And less than 24 hours later it's reported he'll be suiting up and playing on the tag in a few weeks :confused:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1046893018530418688

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They should bench Bell for the rest of the season imo. He isn't going to be there next year and Conner has done a decent job. They should stick with him and see what they've got and how they are fixed for 2019.

Pog Mahomes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

eagle eye wrote: »
    They should bench Bell for the rest of the season imo. He isn't going to be there next year and Conner has done a decent job. They should stick with him and see what they've got and how they are fixed for 2019.

Bell will be praying to be benched, won't run him into the ground gets his money feels great next season

• Advertisement

5qI0tJX.jpg

Also the Earl Thomas situation while **** for him could have a bigger impact than people realise regard money, he did it "the right way" reported week one, played for the team with a league high tied 3ints and got his leg broken. Players will look at Bell and see what he does. If Bell holds out it might convince other players to do it which could change things the next cba.

I remember someone said on here that they couldn't see how bell holding out would be worth the money he'd make in his next contract. I can guarantee you Earl Thomas will have a ****e prove it next year if he continues to play and after that he will have lost his ability for the final big pay day deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Also the Earl Thomas situation while **** for him could have a bigger impact than people realise regard money, he did it "the right way" reported week one, played for the team with a league high tied 3ints and got his leg broken. Players will look at Bell and see what he does. If Bell holds out it might convince other players to do it which could change things the next cba.

I remember someone said on here that they couldn't see how bell holding out would be worth the money he'd make in his next contract. I can guarantee you Earl Thomas will have a ****e prove it next year if he continues to play and after that he will have lost his ability for the final big pay day deal

I'm guessing that the hawks won't now use the franchise tag on him next year so he's free to walk into free agency and he has is choice of teams to go through. Judging by his continued flirting with my cowboys you'd imagine he'll do his best to get a deal done with the cowboys. However if someone offers the hawks a pick now 5-7 rounder they might be willing to trade. As the post above says he'll not get a huge deal now, it'll be a prove it deal with lower money. This will in turn impact on the compensatory pick that the seahawks get in 2020. (Hope my logic is right there) There was talk the chiefs were close to a deal this week but Thomas got injured. If the seahawks want to get anything of value they should be looking to trade now and maximise what they could get as they also get the value of a pick in the 2019 draft.

brinty wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the hawks won't now use the franchise tag on him next year so he's free to walk into free agency and he has is choice of teams to go through. Judging by his continued flirting with my cowboys you'd imagine he'll do his best to get a deal done with the cowboys. However if someone offers the hawks a pick now 5-7 rounder they might be willing to trade. As the post above says he'll not get a huge deal now, it'll be a prove it deal with lower money. This will in turn impact on the compensatory pick that the seahawks get in 2020. (Hope my logic is right there) There was talk the chiefs were close to a deal this week but Thomas got injured. If the seahawks want to get anything of value they should be looking to trade now and maximise what they could get as they also get the value of a pick in the 2019 draft.
    How could anyone trade for a player with no years left in his contract and out for a year. Hawks were never going to tag him next year anyway. I wouldn't be shocked if he retired 2/3 seasons lost to the same injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Shedite27

How could anyone trade for a player with no years left in his contract and out for a year. Hawks were never going to tag him next year anyway. I wouldn't be shocked if he retired 2/3 seasons lost to the same injury

Sounds like a trade for the Browns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It's even more saddening to watch in slow motion what you've already begun to fear

https://twitter.com/baldynfl/status/1047144009293082624

• Advertisement

Bell will be praying to be benched, won't run him into the ground gets his money feels great next season
    Do you honestly think that if he gets benched that he gets the big money he is after next year? Do you not think people are going to starting questioning why he is benched? Has he fallen back a bit? His attitude?

I'm not saying he won't get good money but he might not get the league leading money for a RB that he is after.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Oat23 wrote: »
    On GMFB this morning they showed an instagram comment from Bell to Earl Thomas saying "I'll continue being the "bad guy" for all of us."

And less than 24 hours later it's reported he'll be suiting up and playing on the tag in a few weeks :confused:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1046893018530418688

Not that surprising or confusing really, that would be just prior to the trade deadline, which could get him out of that toxic locker room, and only 2 weeks prior to the last point he can show up and accrue a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

With the bell situation, James Harrison said a week ago he should arrive at week 7 to fulfill his contract, go 100% in training, then on Saturday before the game say "something ain't right, don't think I'll be able to play tomorrow" and do it every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

When watching the Cardinals game the other night I got to thinking of how good Larry Fitzgerald was at his peak and how he wasted (I know he was well compensated, but it's hard to find another relevant word) his best years on such poor Cardinals teams.

Then afterwards I remembered he did make a Super Bowl in 08, made a playoff run in 09 and lost an NFL Championship game in 15 so while he never won as much as a player of his talent should have, there are others have been far worse off.

What players that have wasted their careers on poor teams jump out to you? I'm not talking about the likes of Hernandez who single-handedly destroyed their careers, just excellent players who played on poor teams.

Adrian Peterson at Minnesota is another one. 1 playoff win in 12 years despite posting a 2,000 yard season at one stage.

Megatron - posted over 1,300 receiving yards in a season the Lions went 0-16 and broke the record with 1,964 yards in 2012 when the Lions went 4-12 FFS.

Joe Thomas - didn't miss a snap in 10 years, was arguably the best LT in the NFL for a decade, yet never played one down of playoff football for the Browns.

Not poor teams but I think it's terrible Romo and Witten never even got to an NFC Championship game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

From my time watching it has to be Steven Jackson. Was an amazing running back for the Rams and basically their whole offence for a few years. HoF caliber but never got recognition due to playing on a bad team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

OAOB wrote: »
    From my time watching it has to be Steven Jackson. Was an amazing running back for the Rams and basically their whole offence for a few years. HoF caliber but never got recognition due to playing on a bad team

Never had a 60+ yard run in all his career. But has the most consecutive seasons with a 40 yard run, with 11. Now that's a weird and wacky stat!

Do you honestly think that if he gets benched that he gets the big money he is after next year? Do you not think people are going to starting questioning why he is benched? Has he fallen back a bit? His attitude?

I'm not saying he won't get good money but he might not get the league leading money for a RB that he is after.
    He won't get what he's after but hell be the highest paid rb in the league. People will know he's bEnched because the
    Steelers won't upset the connors who's having great year and will be with the team to play the guy leaving in half a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

JJ Watt.

Best defensive player in the last 10 years, only playoff wins against the Bengals.

Barry Sanders stands out an utterly gifted player who played on a team in the Lions that didn't match his talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Barry Sanders stands out an utterly gifted player who played on a team in the Lions that didn't match his talent.

Think this narrative is a bit overblown. The only reason they didn't match his talent was because pretty much no team could. The Lions made the NFC championship game with Sanders. They made the playoffs 5 times with him winning the NFL Central twice. Herman Moore. Lomas Brown and Brett Perriman were all very good. The NFC was also a blood bath in the 90s with the Cowboys, Packers, 49ers and Redskins all having excellent teams.

Think this narrative is a bit overblown. The only reason they didn't match his talent was because pretty much no team could. The Lions made the NFC championship game with Sanders. They made the playoffs 5 times with him winning the NFL Central twice. Herman Moore. Lomas Brown and Brett Perriman were all very good. The NFC was also a blood bath in the 90s with the Cowboys, Packers, 49ers and Redskins all having excellent teams.

Well it's worked then as a narrative as he was the first person I thought of. They did make the playoffs but they also only one game during those five playoff runs and that one game is the only playoff win the lions have had since 1957 when I think they won the NFL championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well it's worked then as a narrative as he was the first person I thought of. They did make the playoffs but they also only one game during those five playoff runs and that one game is the only playoff win the lions have had since 1957 when I think they won the NFL championship.

Yes it's actually successful by the Lions' standards. That goes against the idea. It also points to his career not being wasted as Joe Thomas' was. The Superbowl is incredibly hard to win.

Absolutely there could have been more team success but that doesn't mean his career was wasted on a poor team.

Edit: Another player I should have mentioned from those Detroit teams is Chris Spielman who is one of the nominees for the hall of fame and also one of the better analyst's out there imo.

Someone has offered me Antonio Brown and Kenny Stills for Kareem Hunt, Mohamed Sanu and Tyler Boyd

Do it?

Someone has offered me Antonio Brown and Kenny Stills for Kareem Hunt, Mohamed Sanu and Tyler Boyd

Do it?

no

• Advertisement

Maurice Jones-Drew is a player who spent his whole career o a bad team. His career ended early enough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭conor222

Maurice Jones-Drew is a player who spent his whole career o a bad team.

didn't he do a year in Oakland at the end?
    Still a bad team but more than one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

conor222 wrote: »
    didn't he do a year in Oakland at the end?
    Still a bad team but more than one

Yeah he did indeed play for the raiders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Andre Johnson of the Houston Texans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

By far the best player on a bad team award has to go to Barry Sanders....

I think Andre Johnson is a great shout tbh

Cj2k??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Some great shouts above, one honourable mention I always thought should have gone bigger was the cornerback Asamugha.

Great shutdown guy (3 probowls) but played 10 seasons on some awful teams.
    - 8 seasons with the Raiders, apart from one 8-8 seasons, best record outside of that was 5-11
    - 2 seasons with the Eagles, 8-8 and 4-12
    - 1 season with the 49ers, started 2-2 before he was waived

Over a 4 year period in his prime, he averaged less than a catch a game.

One year, he intercepted 8 of the 40 balls thrown in his direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Andrew Luck. Drafted by a team that almost certainly tanked to get him, was their only good draft pick, basically, for years, but allowed several incompetent men to keep their jobs, all while a generational talent was being pissed away to the point where, even though he's still playing for them, he never comes up in discussions of great current quarterbacks anymore. Would love to see him play with a good team.

• Advertisement

Andrew Luck. Drafted by a team that almost certainly tanked to get him, was their only good draft pick, basically, for years, but allowed several incompetent men to keep their jobs, all while a generational talent was being pissed away to the point where, even though he's still playing for them, he never comes up in discussions of great current quarterbacks anymore. Would love to see him play with a good team.
    I like luck but I wouldn't consider him a generational talent

I like luck but I wouldn't consider him a generational talent
    You would if he was playing somewhere else!

I could only imagine how good Andrew Luck would be behind an o line like the fully functioning great wall of Dallas (Smith, Williams, Frederick, Martin and Collins) or the Rams O line (who look very talented too)where he'd be able to stand in the pocket and avoid the hits. I think he'd certainly get the cowboys closer than they've been in the last 25 years.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Some great shouts above, one honourable mention I always thought should have gone bigger was the cornerback Asamugha.

Great shutdown guy (3 probowls) but played 10 seasons on some awful teams.
    - 8 seasons with the Raiders, apart from one 8-8 seasons, best record outside of that was 5-11
    - 2 seasons with the Eagles, 8-8 and 4-12
    - 1 season with the 49ers, started 2-2 before he was waived

Over a 4 year period in his prime, he averaged less than a catch a game.

One year, he intercepted 8 of the 40 balls thrown in his direction

But wasent he just not targeted a lot because the rest of the raiders d was dog**** at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Joe Thomas.
    11 seasons, 10 straight pro bowl, over 10k consecutive snaps...
    He played 167 games over his career, with a 48-119 record.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Joe Thomas.
    11 seasons, 10 straight pro bowl, over 10k consecutive snaps...
    He played 167 games over his career, with a 48-119 record.

Ask anyone to name someone better in his position and they can't. He is the ultimate waste of a career

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ah the Rodgers Defence... :)

In fairness you would feel that Indy are on the way out of the mire now... As I said... Feel...

Ah the Rodgers Defence... :)

Rodgers won a Super Bowl though, and made it to the playoffs for many years. Sadly those days are behind him now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Rodgers won a Super Bowl though, and made it to the playoffs for many years. Sadly those days are behind him now. :)

How very dare you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Anthony Munoz, Bruce Matthews, Junior Seau? Granted Munoz played on two Super Bowl teams and Seau one, they played on more mediocre teams than good ones. All 3 in the Hall of Fame.

True the mighty bears and amazing vikings toppled the Packers when they met this year

• Advertisement
Advertisement