Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Junior Seau went to the Superbowl with the Chargers and played four seasons, including the unbeaten regular season, with the Patriots.
    Munoz played in two tight Superbowl losses against the 49ers.
    Matthews played in one Superbowl, a close loss to the greatest show on turf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Tony Gonzalez TE Chiefs

17 years and never missed a game
    6 post-seasons - in five failed to win a game
    make the AFC conference game when he was 36 (which they lost)

Wille Roaf OT Saints
    13 seasons - 11 pro-bowls
    he was 30 when he played in his first post-season game - never made it past the divisional round in two post-seasons.

Dan Marino QB Dolphins
    17 seasons
    Many post-seasons and even a SB - but he carried the Miami team every single season that he played. It really is astonishing how badly the Dolphins wasted Marino's career by never coming close to building a roster capable of helping him to win a SB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Well, I wouldn't exactly call it a wasted career, but I saw a story about Logan Mankins ....played for the Patriots from 2005 - 2013, 7 time pro bowler, 1 all Pro, 5 times 2nd team all Pro.....never won a super bowl. Which is strange considering the pats pretty much swept all before them in the decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Andrew Luck. Drafted by a team that almost certainly tanked to get him, was their only good draft pick, basically, for years, but allowed several incompetent men to keep their jobs, all while a generational talent was being pissed away to the point where, even though he's still playing for them, he never comes up in discussions of great current quarterbacks anymore. Would love to see him play with a good team.
    Whatever about his talent level I think he may have been forced backwards a bit. Maybe he will recover but he is at about 9 yards per completion, the lowest by a starter by a decent distance for the season and was dragged off for the hail Mary.

Definitely a waste though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah he hasn't been helped by the amount of pummeling he's taken over the years either, which is again down to being with a **** team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Christy42 wrote: »
    Whatever about his talent level I think he may have been forced backwards a bit. Maybe he will recover but he is at about 9 yards per completion, the lowest by a starter by a decent distance for the season and was dragged off for the hail Mary.

Definitely a waste though.

There are a couple more variables involved with that stat, other than questionable arm strength (which is a legitimate concern). This year the Colts have both their starting tackles injured and on top of that, other than Hilton, they have no other receiver that can play on the perimeter and create separation downfield. Reich's offense is up tempo, quick release to protect Luck from getting hit this year as he recovers.

Having said that he is getting there though, he had a 464 yard, 4 TD, 0 INT performance last week, with maybe the worst receiving options in the league and a coaching staff that shamelessly disregard the run game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Good to see Suh out there practicing the new QB sack rule.. :D

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1047965870687846400

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

letowski wrote: »
    Good to see Suh out there practicing the new QB sack rule.. :D

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1047965870687846400

watch him do it sunday :pac:

Forgot one player who should be on the list of great players on sh*te teams

Dick Butkus - ILB - Chicago Bears (1965-1973)

8× Pro Bowl (1965–1972)
    6× First-team All-Pro (1965, 1967–1970, 1972)
    2× Second-team All-Pro (1966, 1971)
    2× NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1969, 1970)
    NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
    NFL 1960s All-Decade Team
    NFL 1970s All-Decade Team

The Bears had two winning seasons during his career - 1965 & 1967. Butkus never played in a post-season game. In 1972 Butkus signed a five year deal worth $115,000 a year - with a no-cut, no-trade clause and was guaranteed in the event of injury and the Bears were to provide necessary medial attention and hospital care. In 1973 he suffered a serious knee injury and never played again. Butkus was forced to sue the Bears to get them to pay the remainder of his contract and he also sued them for medical neglect causing irreparable damage to his knee. The Bears eventually settled by paying the full value of the four years remaining on his contract.

Not alone was Butkus a great player on a terrible team - he was treated disgracefully by the team owner, George Halas, when he couldn't play anymore.

s-l640.jpg

Not as much great player on a ****e team because they had the Don Coryell era, but Dan Fouts has to be one of the greatest to never reach a Super Bowl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Well, I wouldn't exactly call it a wasted career, but I saw a story about Logan Mankins ....played for the Patriots from 2005 - 2013, 7 time pro bowler, 1 all Pro, 5 times 2nd team all Pro.....never won a super bowl. Which is strange considering the pats pretty much swept all before them in the decade.
    He was traded for Tim Wright (TE) and a 4th (eventually used on Trey Flowers) in August, and they win the SB the following Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Chiefs bandwagoners getting right on my tits

Where were they when we were 2-14?

Chiefs are looking good - Mahomes looks like the real deal.

They were lucky to beat the Broncos - Reid out-coached Joseph in the fourth quarter (not a difficult task to be honest).

Reid is the right guy in the right place to maximise Mahomes potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AHN

In the chiefs fans thread you said you got into the chiefs in october 2016 which means youve only seen us finish 12-4, 10-6 and 4-0 this season so far. We were only 2-14 in 2012 so the question is where were you when we were 2-14!!

AHN wrote: »

In the chiefs fans thread you said you got into the chiefs in october 2016 which means youve only seen us finish 12-4, 10-6 and 4-0 this season so far. We were only 2-14 in 2012 so the question is where were you when we were 2-14!!

Hardly the glamorous glory hunting winning selection of an NFL team- perennial bottlers in the P/O’s, only team on NFL Europe store who’s away jersey isn’t sold, not won a Suberb Owl in 50 years- I’m anything but a band wagoner and I know them when I see them- mostly the Twitterati doing cumming emojis at every Mahomes throw or Kelce’s new haircut or beard styling

I never said I was around for 2-14 season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Broncos have placed Marquette King, P, on IR - with a plan to release him when he is healthy.

King signed a 3 year - $6million deal with the Broncos in April.

King will be paid $1.5million and the Broncos will carry a dead cap number of $166,666 for the next two years.

Looks like the Raiders were right - after booming kicks all over the field during pre-season, King has been brutal in the first four games - against the Chiefs he had a net average of 28.7 yards.

Colby Wadman will punt against the Jets - he was signed to the Broncos practice squad ten days ago (after spending less than two months with the Raiders before being released in May).

Die hard Leeds fan my whole life and we’re flying but I now look forward to NFL Thurs/Sun/Mon more

Anyone else ever get like this, transitioning from one sporting love to another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Die hard Leeds fan my whole life and we’re flying but I now look forward to NFL Thurs/Sun/Mon more

Anyone else ever get like this, transitioning from one sporting love to another?

Untied fan started to really phase out about 2 years left of Fergus ons reign

• Advertisement

Untied fan started to really phase out about 2 years left of Fergus ons reign

You’ll have Zidane soon enough

Wouldn’t be my choice but he’ll rekindle Manchester United fans interest

As a hurling fan it's very handy that the seasons barely overlap. When the super bowl ends the league is just getting going, and the all Ireland is usually around the same time as the beginning of the football season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm a baseball and NFL fan and I always begin each season with (false) optimism for my teams, Mets and Redskins.

So when after a month into the baseball season and things have gone pear shaped for the Mets, I begin to look forward to the NFL season and think things will be better for the Redskins. But then by week 6 or 7 and the Redskins aren't looking any good either, I think to myself that next year's Mets season promises to be good.

So I'm permanently in the position of looking forward with optimism to my team in the other sport's next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's great that it's on at a time slot that doesn't clsh with anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

As a hurling fan it's very handy that the seasons barely overlap. When the super bowl ends the league is just getting going, and the all Ireland is usually around the same time as the beginning of the football season.

The GAA to NFL rotation is the business.

Throw in the LOI and NHL and I'm pretty much covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Was a massive Spurs fan but grew disillusioned with the sport. The competitions are barely interesting - you know that there's a 99% probability that the winner of pretty much any (club) soccer tournament will be one of 3/4 teams. I'd only really watch the big games now and the latter stages of competitions (aside from world cup/euros).
    Am definitely a GAA man however, but there's no overlap with the inter-county scene. Would definitely be playing american football if it wasn't for the gaelic football. I tried it for a while but it wasn't really feasible.

I find the NFL absolutely enthralling. I was saying to friend at the start of last season that there was any one of about 9 teams that could realistically win the Superbowl, and not one of them did. There's no other sport like it in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I was saying to friend at the start of last season that there was any one of about 9 teams that could realistically win the Superbowl, and not one of them did. There's no other sport like it in that regard.
    True, but it is designed that way. The draft giving the worst team the best picks, the cap to limit the spending of the big teams/markets, no relegation....
    So there is a certain artificial aspect to the competitive nature of the sport; i.e. you don't get a Leicester winning the PL, Atletico winning La Liga ...against some incredible odds.
    Obviously there have been some major upsets, but in a cup competition you'll get that in a lot of sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

True, but it is designed that way. The draft giving the worst team the best picks, the cap to limit the spending of the big teams/markets, no relegation....
    So there is a certain artificial aspect to the competitive nature of the sport; i.e. you don't get a Leicester winning the PL, Atletico winning La Liga ...against some incredible odds.
    Obviously there have been some major upsets, but in a cup competition you'll get that in a lot of sports.

To an extent but then you get freak periods like the last18 years of the patriots and our runs with Manning.

Just because the jets and bills and browns and raiders suck are not our fault.

You don't get the level of equalisation that the NFL has in any other League. Even the NHL can't pull that off.

Look at the oilers, they put the browns to shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Anyone have any idea what is happening to kickers this year?

Crosby last went to pieces in good conditions and would be a good kicker. It feels like kicking percentages are way down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Some great shouts above, one honourable mention I always thought should have gone bigger was the cornerback Asamugha.

Great shutdown guy (3 probowls) but played 10 seasons on some awful teams.
    - 8 seasons with the Raiders, apart from one 8-8 seasons, best record outside of that was 5-11
    - 2 seasons with the Eagles, 8-8 and 4-12
    - 1 season with the 49ers, started 2-2 before he was waived

Over a 4 year period in his prime, he averaged less than a catch a game.

One year, he intercepted 8 of the 40 balls thrown in his direction

For most of that time he was on QB equaling money, and the opposing QB pretty much never threw in his direction.
    He had a great career, and when you look at the amount of money spent keeping him in OAK, you'd have to wonder why he didnt take a pay cut to go to NE for a year like Moss etc

Christy42 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what is happening to kickers this year?

Crosby last went to pieces in good conditions and would be a good kicker. It feels like kicking percentages are way down

I don't think my horse Harrison Butker has missed one

He's been unreal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Dan Bailey
    Not as automatic anymore
    Think Brett Maher missed his first and none since justifying why cowboys went with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Speaking of kickers, how's Randy Bullock doing these days?

He's been (in)famous in my household since the legendary line of commentary "lock up your cows, here's Randy Bullock".

EDIT: I see he's with the Bengals now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

ELM327 wrote: »
    Speaking of kickers, how's Randy Bullock doing these days?

He's been (in)famous in my household since the legendary line of commentary "lock up your cows, here's Randy Bullock".

EDIT: I see he's with the Bengals now.

I wonder what happened to Tavecchio. He sort of slipped away to FA obscurity.

Seemed like he was getting a fairytale story. Overlooked, signed and waived or dropped over and over again until Janikowski get's injured. Comes in and does unbelievably well to begin with.

I remember him getting the game ball and doing the speech. Didn't think he did awful after that either, fairly solid kicker. Then he quitely got waived by the Raiders this off season, signed and subsequently dropped by Falcons, and even after all the kicking disasters doesn't appear to be getting a look at.

Hell even when Nugent who led the Raiders to waive him got hurt the Raiders didn't even go back to him. Looks like he's fallen completely and makes me wonder if he will have a chance again in the league.

He may just become a piece of obscure Football Trivia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

The GAA to NFL rotation is the business.

Throw in the LOI and NHL and I'm pretty much covered.

Club hurling can run on until October some years so there's a slight overlap for me! Otherwise the rotation of both is ideal!

Should the Saints beat a 5.5 point handicap against the Skins tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Adamocovic wrote:
    I wonder what happened to Tavecchio. He sort of slipped away to FA obscurity.

And Marquette King too. He looked pretty damn good for the Raiders last year and then got cut in the off-season.

Should the Saints beat a 5.5 point handicap against the Skins tonight?

Yes
    eagle eye wrote: »
    And Marquette King too. He looked pretty damn good for the Raiders last year and then got cut in the off-season.

King went to broncos on thre year deal and cut already I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The eagles running back jay ajayi has torn his ACL in his left knee according to Ian rappaport.

Well damn it anyway. Looks like Smallwood and clement will have to step up more.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The eagles running back jay ajayi has torn his ACL in his left knee according to Ian rappaport.

Well damn it anyway. Looks like Smallwood and clement will have to step up more.

Is that the knee that was ****ed before? If so I really hope they don't extend him. Spotless dgould be coming back at some point also right?

Either way we're doing nothing unless the o-line and secondary step up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is that the knee that was ****ed before? If so I really hope they don't extend him. Spotless dgould be coming back at some point also right?

Either way we're doing nothing unless the o-line and secondary step up
    No it was his right knee that was injured before this is the left knee. Spotless ? I presume you mean sproles ? I've no idea when he's back.

Yeah the o line is woefully bad and the less said about the secondary the better.

• Advertisement

No it was his right knee that was injured before this is the left knee. Spotless ? I presume you mean sproles ? I've no idea when he's back.

Yeah the o line is woefully bad and the less said about the secondary the better.

I did indeed autocorrect being autocowrong

Don't think we're up to much this year but in fairness we have a lot of guys coming in to the team late and at this time last year Alex smith was an MVP fave so plenty of time yet

brinty wrote: »
    King went to broncos on thre year deal and cut already I believe

King has been put on IR - he has a groin injury (sports hernia) - 4-6 weeks recovery - then he will be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

King has been put on IR - he has a groin injury (sports hernia) - 4-6 weeks recovery - then he will be released.

https://clutchpoints.com/broncos-news-denver-releases-punter-marquette-king/amp/

He’s been released.

OOnegative wrote: »

Must have agreed an injury settlement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans cut the WR Nick Williams, who dropped the end zone catch that would have been the game winning TD.

Wonder how serious talks are of Eagles asking about McCoy.

Surprisingly enough I could see Bills going along with it if they got a good deal. Most Bills fans are agreeing that despite loving him they'd be fine with seeing him go back to Philly for the right offer. Very much in a rebuild phase and would probably be best for McCoy too in terms of chances of success.

You know your days as a head coach are numbered when this starts happening -

On Monday the Denver defence had a players only meeting - to discuss 'philosophical differences' between the players and the coaches - the players claim that the coaches are not putting them in a position to win. The meeting was to work out what they want to say to the coaches.

Apparently Vance Joseph wants to hear their 'feedback' - probably because he hasn't a clue what he is doing himself.

On Monday the Denver defence had a players only meeting - to discuss 'philosophical differences' between the players and the coaches - the players claim that the coaches are not putting them in a position to win. The meeting was to work out what they want to say to the coaches.

Apparently Vance Joseph wants to hear their 'feedback' - probably because he hasn't a clue what he is doing himself.

It's pretty much the template for the beginning of the end

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's pretty much the template for the beginning of the end

I wish we had some of those meetings in Dallas

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Wonder how serious talks are of Eagles asking about McCoy.

Surprisingly enough I could see Bills going along with it if they got a good deal. Most Bills fans are agreeing that despite loving him they'd be fine with seeing him go back to Philly for the right offer. Very much in a rebuild phase and would probably be best for McCoy too in terms of chances of success.
    There's also rumors the eagles are looking at trading for Jordan Howard as well. He's been getting fewer reps in the new bears offense and tarik Cohen is getting more. Seems like he doesn't fit the scheme. I would think letting a top 10/15 rb go when the team is in the playoff hunt and he offers so much to the team (in short yardage situations especially, but he's clearly our better rb), on a rookie contract, with the always present threat of injuries, for a mid round draft pick next year, is stupid. But it's the rumour.

Advertisement