Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

brinty wrote: »
    I wish we had some of those meetings in Dallas

It boggles the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

I quite fancy NYG to beat Philly tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I quite fancy NYG to beat Philly tonight

It's possible, our secondary is terrible so obj and Shepard could have a field day

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    It's possible, our secondary is terrible so obj and Shepard could have a field day

I fancy Barkley to rip you to shreds

I trust the d line to stop the run, as I said the passing game might be our downfall, I just don't trust them atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Until our OL progresses from its current bucket of incompetence, I'm not fancying the Giants for anything.

Barkley is likely to have more receiving yards than running yards, and for the latter he likely won't top 50. Not against that Eagles front anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Barkley will have one bigish run for the night but a hell of a lot of runs are very short gains or losses

71 attempts for 308 yards isn't great

Knex. wrote: »
    Until our OL progresses from its current bucket of incompetence, I'm not fancying the Giants for anything.

Barkley is likely to have more receiving yards than running yards, and for the latter he likely won't top 50. Not against that Eagles front anyway.

Eli is a far bigger issue than the OL at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Eli is a far bigger issue than the OL at this point.

He's an issue yes, and the Saints game he nearly broke my heart, but the OL is far worse than he is. That's how bad it is.

Barkley gets hit behind the line more times than you could imagine. Assignments are constantly missed or just straight up blown, the double teams are laughable, and there is no push at all provided.

Its worse than last year, tbh. Least the rookie Hernandez is doing well and Solder has improved to about average. Center, RG and RT is just abysmal, however.

Knex. wrote: »
    He's an issue yes, and the Saints game he nearly broke my heart, but the OL is far worse than he is. That's how bad it is.

Barkley gets hit behind the line more times than you could imagine. Assignments are constantly missed or just straight up blown, the double teams are laughable, and there is no push at all provided.

Its worse than last year, tbh. Least the rookie Hernandez is doing well and Solder has improved to about average. Center, RG and RT is just abysmal, however.

I agree the OL is still an issue but it again points to how crazy it was to take Barkley when they did. They don’t have the set up to take a luxury piece like that and it certainly isn’t a spot where they can make the most of his talents or get their value for the cost they paid.

Even when the OL has their pass protection holding up Eli is still seeing ghosts. This is probably connected to OL being porous in the past, but I would contend that a QB that is having those issues along with a large regression in his throwing is far more concerning than the OL problem.

All of this was foreseeable after last year and definitely by the time they made the Barkley pick.

Eagles will rush 4 for the game and have the corners stand 10-15 yards off.

Odb and sheppard will murdrr off short slants and saquan will make yards off screens.

Eli won't hold the ball for longer than 2 secs

Both o/lines will get destroyed

Wentz will get hit 6+ times and eagles will pass to much

Who knows who wins it's the NFC east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's looking like a bad weather game with unless it means something different in the US it will be rain and thunderstorms. It may not be a classic game tonight.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's looking like a bad weather game with unless it means something different in the US it will be rain and thunderstorms. It may not be a classic game tonight.

May work out for the eagles though you'd hope our run d/run game would be better (assuming lane plays)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

After the disaster that was the Jets performance in Jacksonville we took a wee road trip to New Orleans getting there thursday. Naturally had to check out the Superdome. Just as we parked a huge Monday Night football truck went by just in time for the Redskins game! Would have loved to take in that game given what Brees achieved and the atmosphere around the ground as can be imagined form the pics below.

Unusual that there are no tours of the stadium offered but the club shop is suitably impressive.

Despite the oppressive heat New Orleans is some town. Would highly recommend a visit.

IMG-2589.jpg

IMG-2593.jpg

IMG-2596.jpg

IMG-2598.jpg

That super bowl in 2013 is still up there for me. What a game and then all the ancillary madness of the power outage. Incredible night.

That super bowl in 2013 is still up there for me. What a game and then all the ancillary madness of the power outage. Incredible night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/jennacottrell/status/1051493727632596992?s=21

Jesus :pac:

EDIT - sorry, just saw Kev posted in the weekly thread before.

Huge Snow in Denver, could be a big advantage for the broncos, I think the Rams will struggle big time

• Advertisement

Huge Snow in Denver, could be a bit advantage for the broncos, I think the Rams will struggle big time

Well the snow will probably negate the passing games a bit.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well the snow will probably negate the passing games a bit.

True just think the cold will get to them as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Doubt Gurley will enjoy running in the snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Shedite27

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    IMG-2598.jpg

Where did ya find this? Looks like a big typo, "reopens after Hurricane Katrina" listed in 2010? That game V Atlanta was 2006. Even in the chronology of events it looks wrong listed between a 2004 and 2008 event

Huge Snow in Denver, could be a big advantage for the broncos, I think the Rams will struggle big time

Good work by the grounds crew there to be fair.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Where did ya find this? Looks like a big typo, "reopens after Hurricane Katrina" listed in 2010? That game V Atlanta was 2006. Even in the chronology of events it looks wrong listed between a 2004 and 2008 event

Good spot!

Someone had one job to do......!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Report it so they can fix it and try to blag some freebies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Ron Leary, G, Broncos - out for the season with a torn achilles

pretty much guarantees that Leary will be cut in the off-season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Marcus Mariota had a tough day yesterday as the Ravens set a franchise record with 11 sacks in a game

Out of interest I went to see what the record is and it is 12.

Dallas vs Pittsburgh (11/20/66)
    St Louis vs Baltimore (10/26/80)
    Chicago vs Detroit (12/16/84)
    Dallas vs Houston (9/29/85)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Marcus Mariota had a tough day yesterday as the Ravens set a franchise record with 11 sacks in a game

Yeah, not exactly a good day at the office for anyone bar the Titans D tbh and even they werent great.

Mariota got hit early and often, running game was poor. Henry showed some early promise but was then pulled (this seems to be a trend)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

mikemac2 wrote: »

Also N.Y. Giants vs. Philadelphia, Sept. 30, 2007

Osi Umenyiora got 6 of the 12 sacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Mike Smith fired as Bucs DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Ron Leary, G, Broncos - out for the season with a torn achilles

pretty much guarantees that Leary will be cut in the off-season

He's welcome back in Dallas anytime

Paul Allen, the owner of the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL and the Portland trailblazers of the NBA has died at the age of 65 due to complications from non Hodgkin's lymphoma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

brinty wrote: »
    He's welcome back in Dallas anytime

Leary is pretty much done - had a serious back injury last season and now this. He likely will struggle with injury issues from now on. Over his two seasons with the Broncos he will only have played 17 games.

The reason that he will be cut is that he is due to make $9.4m next year and that is way too much for an injury prone, and what is now a part-time OLman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/nfldraft/status/1052238650413596672?s=21

I can definitely see this happening more often.

Hard to blame him when you see the financial and career loss that some players have seen, some at the very final hurdle, after picking up serious injuries when sticking around to play with their college.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Patriots fan who threw a beer in the face of Tyreek Hill on Sunday night has been banned for life. :D

Local Law Enforcement have also become involved.:p

What a complete and utter fcking idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Ah he just assumed Hill would need a beverage to help wash down the amount he was being fed tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The Patriots fan who threw a beer in the face of Tyreek Hill on Sunday night has been banned for life. :D

Local Law Enforcement have also become involved.:p

No problem with him being banned. Law enforcement might be a stretch, but maybe warrants a caution.
    If there was a deserving recipient of the beer to the face, then Tyreek Hill is a good candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

No problem with him being banned. Law enforcement might be a stretch, but maybe warrants a caution.
    If there was a deserving recipient of the beer to the face, then Tyreek Hill is a good candidate.

For what reason?

• Advertisement

For what reason?

Looking at his wiki page domestic assault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Let me preface this and say throwing things at players and going over the top with insults should be taken out of the game, basically anything fans wouldn't dare do if they meet the player in a real life setting because they think they are protected because they are in the stands and another Malice in the Palace is unlikely.

Being banned from the stadium for life, I've no problem with but i do feel a little for the 21yr old fan for getting prosecuted and getting a criminal record seems a bit much (especially since the guy complaining has a much more egregious criminal record). It was in the heat of the moment and he threw liquid at an opposing player who decided to run right into the crowd after scoring a potentially game winning TD, Hill was no saint in what he was doing. Considering we've seen fans do a lot worse, throwing more dangerous objects in less provoked circumstances. A Yankees fan threw a full pint at a Red Sox batter warming up last week and this from last season seemed like a 100x worse and the fan wasn't even banned not to mention prosecuted:

img_0760.jpg?fit=750%2C515

FYI I can only think of Boston based incidents as i mostly watch Boston sports not trying to compare fan bases, where everybody has a couple of bad apples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

For what reason?

Stillwater police records indicate that on December 12, 2014, Hill was arrested on complaints of assault of his 20-year-old pregnant girlfriend, Crystal Espinal. The police report states that Espinal said the two got into an argument and he threw her around like a ragdoll, punched her in the face, sat on her and repeatedly punched her in the stomach, and choked her. Oklahoma State dismissed him from the football team after the charges.

Hill eventually pled guilty to domestic assault and battery by strangulation and was sentenced to three years of probation, an anger-management course, a year-long batterer's program, and was required to undergo a domestic-abuse evaluation.

Scumbag got PROBATION for that, and this is the guy that is on his high horse about people splashing beer on him in a stadium, and looking for the book to be thrown at them. As Hazys pointed out, not to defend the beer thrower, but everyone seems to have just forgotten Hill went over to that section after the TD and started taunting people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wasn't aware of Hill's past and it changes things a lot for me. I've gone from being fully behind the guy being banned for life to wanting him to get an upgrade in his seating for life.

Been offered a trade proposal

He wants my Tom Brady, Kareem Hunt and Davante Adams

He's giving up Patrick Mahomes, Antonio Brown and Gronk

What would you do? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I'd post in the fantasy football forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Tyreek Hill is still with yer one as well, which only increases my dislike for the man.

Scumbag got PROBATION for that, and this is the guy that is on his high horse about people splashing beer on him in a stadium, and looking for the book to be thrown at them. As Hazys pointed out, not to defend the beer thrower, but everyone seems to have just forgotten Hill went over to that section after the TD and started taunting people.

You and Hazy need to watch the video again. Hill wasn’t doing some taunting Lambeau leap into the crowd, he was going at his ridiculous pace and then attempting to slow down as he went off the field and bumped into the padding at the end. His head only comes up as he hits the padding and instantly gets hit with the beer. I’m not fan of his given his history, but players do that constantly on fields that don’t give much space after the endzone and where the crowd isn’t at a raised level.

Guys have lost their careers slowing down as they go off the field. Hill takes zero blame here.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/1051674696679186433

I'd also add that I very much doubt who the player was had any bearing on the guy’s choice to throw the beer. He was acting like a spoiled child because it wasn’t looking good for his team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Hill takes zero blame here.

I'd also add that I very much doubt who the player was had any bearing on the guy’s choice to throw the beer. He was acting like a spoiled child because it wasn’t looking good for his team.
    Maybe the kid was aware of what Hill done in 2014 and just couldn't resist when he was in his face. Would you blame him if he did know?

As I said earlier, once I heard of Hill's past I just completely turned from wanting the guy banned for life to wanting him upgraded to premium seats for life.

FLYREEK the Cheetah is the best WR in the league

Haters gonna hate

• Advertisement
Advertisement