Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

FLYREEK the Cheetah is the best WR in the league

Haters gonna hate
    Is that a new nickname for Antonio Brown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Haters gonna hate...what does that even mean?

He's a good WR, but a fair bit off Hopkins, Jones, Brown and a few others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Not even close to the best wr. This is why I ignore one season wonder fans ideas about who's the best and its not even been a season. I still have a falcons fan I used to play with tell me matt Ryan is a top 3 qb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Shedite27 wrote: »
    SHOVELLER wrote: »
    IMG-2598.jpg

Where did ya find this? Looks like a big typo, "reopens after Hurricane Katrina" listed in 2010? That game V Atlanta was 2006. Even in the chronology of events it looks wrong listed between a 2004 and 2008 event
    This was just next to the club shop at the stadium!

IMG-2598.jpg

Where did ya find this? Looks like a big typo, "reopens after Hurricane Katrina" listed in 2010? That game V Atlanta was 2006. Even in the chronology of events it looks wrong listed between a 2004 and 2008 event

IMG-2598.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

eagle eye wrote: »
    Maybe the kid was aware of what Hill done in 2014 and just couldn't resist when he was in his face. Would you blame him if he did know?

As I said earlier, once I heard of Hill's past I just completely turned from wanting the guy banned for life to wanting him upgraded to premium seats for life.

Then he took a weak ass cowardly way to implement his wannabe vigilante justice.

I 100% blame the idiot fan as he made the choice to do it and, despite the attempts to make excuses for him here, he can now live with the consequences. This will likely be a slap on the wrist if anything so I’m not sure why people are talking like his life is ruined.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You and Hazy need to watch the video again. Hill wasn’t doing some taunting Lambeau leap into the crowd, he was going at his ridiculous pace and then attempting to slow down as he went off the field and bumped into the padding at the end. His head only comes up as he hits the padding and instantly gets hit with the beer. I’m not fan of his given his history, but players do that constantly on fields that don’t give much space after the endzone and where the crowd isn’t at a raised level.

Guys have lost their careers slowing down as they go off the field. Hill takes zero blame here.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/1051674696679186433

I'd also add that I very much doubt who the player was had any bearing on the guy’s choice to throw the beer. He was acting like a spoiled child because it wasn’t looking good for his team.

thats some revisionism right there. He runs in safe from about the ten yard line and goes in a straight line right through the end zone, and another at least 10 yards out the end zone. So give 30 yards, he wasnt able to stop? Or run along the end line of the end zone? He knew what he was doing. It doesnt mean he should have beer thrown on him, but he did not have to run straight into the fans at the endzone. Again, it absolutely does not excuse it happening, and irrespective of his past, nothing makes it right. But Hill making such a big deal out of this is very odd.

What I dont get, well maybe I do, but how has this blown up into such huge news? A quick search has results for it happening to Ingram at Buffalo, Jefferson at Jacksonville, Andrews at Pittsburgh, Tate at Cincinnati, Bowman at Seattle, Charles at Oakland and I'm sure more besides those if I bothered searching properly. There are dickhead fans everywhere doing dickhead things, how this is still making major headline news reports 4 days later is absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

bruschi wrote: »
    thats some revisionism right there. He runs in safe from about the ten yard line and goes in a straight line right through the end zone, and another at least 10 yards out the end zone. So give 30 yards, he wasnt able to stop? Or run along the end line of the end zone? He knew what he was doing. It doesnt mean he should have beer thrown on him, but he did not have to run straight into the fans at the endzone. Again, it absolutely does not excuse it happening, and irrespective of his past, nothing makes it right. But Hill making such a big deal out of this is very odd.

What I dont get, well maybe I do, but how has this blown up into such huge news? A quick search has results for it happening to Ingram at Buffalo, Jefferson at Jacksonville, Andrews at Pittsburgh, Tate at Cincinnati, Bowman at Seattle, Charles at Oakland and I'm sure more besides those if I bothered searching properly. There are dickhead fans everywhere doing dickhead things, how this is still making major headline news reports 4 days later is absurd.

Cos Pats

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote:
    This will likely be a slap on the wrist if anything so I’m not sure why people are talking like his life is ruined.

Because the woman beater is demanding criminal charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

FLYREEK the Cheetah is the best WR in the league

Haters gonna hate
    Maybe focus your “filth” characterization on the abuser.
    I just hate people who beat up women. Maybe you don’t.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Brady, Rodgers and Roethlisberger have wins against 31 teams. They of course have spent their careers at one franchise

Drew Brees of the Chargers & Saints could become the first player to win against 32 teams but first he must win against Baltimore this week. He is 0-4 against the Ravens

Kerry Collins jointly holds that record with wins against 31 teams. He never beat the Dolphins

I thought it was interesting. I also think the Ravens D will keep Brees from that record :cool:

I thought favre managed that feat when he beat GB while at Vikings?

And Peyton Manning did it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You are correct. Post deleted :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Maybe focus your “filth” characterization on the abuser.
    I just hate people who beat up women. Maybe you don’t.

"filth"

:rolleyes:

He was 19. We all make mistakes

Has he re-offended since?

So if he murdered somebody at 19 then it's just a mistake?
    If not then why would beating a pregnant woman be just a mistake?

Also the guy that threw the drink is only 21 or 22, is that different because he is two to three years older?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I didn't think the whole Tyreek Hill being an absolute scumbag was up for debate?

He is. End of.

Hell of a football player, however.

Where’s the major headline news 4 days later? A quick google and nearly every major site news story about it is from 2 or 3 days ago and all the ones from 2 days ago were due to the Patriots releasing their own statement that day. It might be still on the local news in Boston but no one else cares.

The only reason it appeared here yesterday was because it was brought up by a Patriots fan who posted every excuse under the sun for the idiot that threw the beer.

The only reason it appeared here yesterday was because it was brought up by a Patriots fan who posted every excuse under the sun for the idiot that threw the beer.
    It appeared here yesterday cause someone called the fan “a complete and utter fcking idiot”.
    What exactly is your issue with the Pats?

"filth"

:rolleyes:
    You introduced the “filth” term, but don’t seem to want to apply it to someone that beat up a women. Eyeroll right back at you.
    He was 19. We all make mistakes

Has he re-offended since?
    You have a different understanding of “mistake” than I do. I’ve made mistakes, not serious criminal offenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Where’s the major headline news 4 days later? A quick google and nearly every major site news story about it is from 2 or 3 days ago and all the ones from 2 days ago were due to the Patriots releasing their own statement that day. It might be still on the local news in Boston but no one else cares.

I don't like the Patriots at all and sorry for dragging it out again but I think some of the reactions about it were over the top.

Comments from his agent like:
    "Players have to be protected. We want that fan to be prosecuted."
    You'd swear he was in some sort of danger.

Receiving a ban from the Patriots organisation I thought was sufficient enough, Hill and his agent pusuring legal action I find over the top even if they are entitled to do so.

Maybe I'm wrong here but fans throwing food and drink isn't a rare occurance. What about Quinton Jefferson last year, I don't remember the reaction being as serious to the fans invovled. Also Pats say he broke one of their fan codes of conduct. Just looking at it I'm sure many broke these, hell in the video pretty much all the fans are by giving the finger.
    •Exhibiting behavior that is unruly, disruptive, irresponsible or illegal in nature
    •Using foul, abusive or offensive language or making obscene gestures
    •Interfering with any ongoing event, business activity or the enjoyment of others
    •Engaging in public drunkenness
    •Verbally or physically harassing any of our guests or staff
    •Engaging in solicitation
    •Smoking (Gillette Stadium is a non-smoking facility)

Now the fan is a twat, and will rightfully be banned from the stadium but it's hard for me to agree with a guy with Hill's money and history pursuing legal action against a 22 year old who threw some beer at him after he tried to get a reaction from them. Maybe I have selective memory on the previous incidents or maybe I'm letting my dislike of Hill cloud my judgement but I think it's understandable why many fans would see it as overkill to pursue legal action against the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I think the reason this particular incident seemed more newsworthy, was that it was in a nationally televised prime time game, and had a visceral, personal feel to it, moreso that say, a fan throwing a drink from the upper tiers, which we see frequently.

To those that say, no harm was done etc. spitting in a person's face does no harm, and yet we still feel it is a taboo act that has crossed (an imaginary) line. These things can escalate quickly.... Malace at the Palace Well worth a read. I remember it happening. I actually like that justice was meted out swiftly!!

I believe the legal action is being initiated by Gillette Stadium themselves, not Tyreek Hill, although he seems happy to cooperate. That's his business regardless of his past.

I find it odd that posters are saying they are not trying to excuse or defend the fan's action when saying....

He was drunk
    He was young
    Hill was taunting
    Hill is a POS and deserved it
    It happens everywhere.
    It's an over reaction.

...which are all an attempt to defend his actions. They also all happen to be true (apart from the taunting, that's BS)

I find it odd that posters are saying they are not trying to excuse or defend the fan's action when saying....

He was drunk
    He was young
    Hill was taunting
    Hill is a POS and deserved it
    It happens everywhere.
    It's an over reaction.

...which are all an attempt to defend his actions. They also all happen to be true (apart from the taunting, that's BS)

It's obviously down to opinion but I don't think looking at the entire picture and disagreeing with the severity of the punishment as the exact same as defending his actions.

I'm sure most agree he was an idiot, and shouldn't have done it. Most also would agree that a stadium ban and punishment down those lines are more than well-deserved.

Like I said above though, personally think pursuing legal action against him and the comments from Hill's agent are over the top. Maybe they want to make an example out of this fan as like you said he is more clearly identifiable than the previous incidences of this.

Back to actual football.

I know Joseph has said Keenum is their guy but how much longer do people think until Chad Kelly gets the nod for Broncos?

4 straight losses, Keenum has improved over the last two games but I think this next one will be big for him. Normally when the coach comes out in my eyes and says he's sticking with you it's a sign thart your time is running out unless you do something to prove that statement right.

Fans seem to be turning anyway!

It happens everywhere.
    It's an over reaction.

...which are all an attempt to defend his actions.

I mentioned the issues that happened elsewhere. It was not to defend him, moreso to query why this has garnered so much publicity than all the other times. You mentioned because it was a prime time game, but watching the game, I didnt even cop it happened, it was only afterwards that I saw reports on it. I do believe it is an over reaction to it all. I get the Malice in the Palace reference, but its not the same, that is where players are very very close to fans and not wearing full football gear either.

The fact that a google search of the game brings up the 3 top stories on the front page of google for being about the beer throwing incident, in a 40-43 shootout with a kick as time expired says enough.

anyway, I acknowledge me still talking about it is only furthering a pointless discussion, so I wont comment again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Normally when the coach comes out in my eyes and says he's sticking with you it's a sign thart your time is running out

Agree: you don't hear Bill Belichick or Mike McCarthy saying "we have full confidence in our QB". If you have to say it, then it's almost by definition not true.

I mentioned the issues that happened elsewhere. It was not to defend him, moreso to query why this has garnered so much publicity than all the other times.

Super slo-mo, 4K tvs, social media, and possibly a little bit of pearl-clutching!

it's not like were sidetracking any other wacky conversations!

It's just something that happened though, not a Boston thing or a Patriot thing.

Normally when the coach comes out in my eyes and says he's sticking with you it's a sign thart your time is running out unless you do something to prove that statement right.

Joseph should be more worried about Elway sticking with him, he has performed worse than Keenum, and that is saying something.

I can see him making a last ditch QB change in an attempt to save his job if things don't improve, although there has to be the sacrificial OC firing first of course!

Case Keenum throwing the ball 50 times a game is a recipe for disater.

Back to actual football.

I know Joseph has said Keenum is their guy but how much longer do people think until Chad Kelly gets the nod for Broncos?

4 straight losses, Keenum has improved over the last two games but I think this next one will be big for him. Normally when the coach comes out in my eyes and says he's sticking with you it's a sign thart your time is running out unless you do something to prove that statement right.

I assumed that that was the case last week when he came in for the kneel.

The crowd reaction said it all.

I'm in 2 minds about it. I want Chad in but I want Joseph gone and I don't want Kelly to be tainted by Joseph. I hope that makes sense.

Kelly showed more than enough in pre-season to be given a go by now given how Keenum has been.

It appeared here yesterday cause someone called the fan “a complete and utter fcking idiot”.
    What exactly is your issue with the Pats?

You really need to get over the persecution complex. What does this happen to do with the Pats? We're talking about one complete and utter idiot fan.

It is so stupid to whine about a topic continuing to be discussed when the only reason it is ongoing is that people keep trying to defend the indefensible.

I don't like the Patriots at all and sorry for dragging it out again but I think some of the reactions about it were over the top.

Comments from his agent like:
    "Players have to be protected. We want that fan to be prosecuted."
    You'd swear he was in some sort of danger.

Receiving a ban from the Patriots organisation I thought was sufficient enough, Hill and his agent pusuring legal action I find over the top even if they are entitled to do so.

Maybe I'm wrong here but fans throwing food and drink isn't a rare occurance. What about Quinton Jefferson last year, I don't remember the reaction being as serious to the fans invovled. Also Pats say he broke one of their fan codes of conduct. Just looking at it I'm sure many broke these, hell in the video pretty much all the fans are by giving the finger.

Now the fan is a twat, and will rightfully be banned from the stadium but it's hard for me to agree with a guy with Hill's money and history pursuing legal action against a 22 year old who threw some beer at him after he tried to get a reaction from them. Maybe I have selective memory on the previous incidents or maybe I'm letting my dislike of Hill cloud my judgement but I think it's understandable why many fans would see it as overkill to pursue legal action against the guy.

Players do need to be protected though. He might not have stepped across the line you draw for protecting their safety, but if he broke the law he broke the law.

There is so much hate towards Hill, and rightfully so, his agent would be doing him a disservice if he didn’t try to clamp down to the point where people will think twice at doing something like that again. The fan will get a slap on the wrist but if they publicly went easy on him it would open Hill up to much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Back to actual football.

I expect Kelly to play the last three games - Browns, Raiders and Chargers. Elway won't want to bench his marquee FA signing until it is mathematically possible that the play-offs are out (and I don't think he will want him to play against the 49ers).

Joseph should be more worried about Elway sticking with him, he has performed worse than Keenum, and that is saying something.

I can see him making a last ditch QB change in an attempt to save his job if things don't improve, although there has to be the sacrificial OC firing first of course!

Joseph won't bench Keenum - Elway won't let him. He brought Keenum in so that if things went wrong then Joseph would carry the can. Musgrave will not be fired before Joseph - the OC was sacrificed last year (and rightly so) - it won't happen again.

Now there has been some daft play-calling - last week the Broncos ran a 4WR set on 4th and 3 - and the 4 WR all ran 15 yard routes. Despite this Keenum didn't even see the open receiver - but it was daft that two of the four weren't running short routes to pick up the 1st. What we don't know is whether this was Musgrave or Joseph.

You really need to get over the persecution complex. What does this happen to do with the Pats? We're talking about one complete and utter idiot fan.

It is so stupid to whine about a topic continuing to be discussed when the only reason it is ongoing is that people keep trying to defend the indefensible.
    Says the guy who whines every time. Always about the Pats with you. Get over yourself. Focusing on a 22 year throwing beer. We all said a ban is appropriate, but you have to view those comments as defending the guy (while silent as someone actually tries to defend a guy who criminally abused a women).
    Long overdue to add you to the ignore list. Whine away as much as you want.

Says the guy who whines every time. Always about the Pats with you. Get over yourself. Focusing on a 22 year throwing beer. We all said a ban is appropriate, but you have to view those comments as defending the guy (while silent as someone actually tries to defend a guy who criminally abused a women).

I’ve made several negative comments about Hill over the last 24 hours in this thread and regularly I’m negative about other players, teams, fans, coaches, GMs, owners but your persecution complex only lets you see those related to the Patriots.

It is a bit weird that you were tracking my posts (even if you were doing a terrible job) so ignore list is probably a good idea for your sanity. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Shedite27

New podcast series released this week looking at the murder of Steve McNair. Interesting first episode
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/steve-mcnair-fall-of-a-titan-podcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Joseph won't bench Keenum - Elway won't let him. He brought Keenum in so that if things went wrong then Joseph would carry the can.
    If your gm is deciding who is playing and getting snaps, you've either got a gm/coach or you've got organisational problems.

Billy86 wrote: »
    If your gm is deciding who is playing and getting snaps, you've either got a gm/coach or you've got organisational problems.

We do have organisational problems. Elway operates with impunity.

Not sure if anyone has posted this anywhere - Boston Globe did a long-form piece on Aaron Hernandez, and have an accompanying podcast, Gladiator. Just listened to the first episode, and seems like a well researched, serious piece of sports journalism - some might be interested.

https://wondery.com/shows/gladiator/

Edit: Link to the articles - 6 parts.

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/spotlight/gladiator/bristol/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Mod Note: Please keep comments constructive and avoid personal criticism.

Secondly this Tyreek Hill conversation has run its course. Let's move on with the football talk.

Don't respond on thread ,PM me if you want to carry on this discussion

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »

Elway is top dog - what he says goes - if he tells Joseph to pull Keenum then that is what would happen. Part of the issue with the Broncos at the moment is that the only person capable of standing up to Elway is Gary Kubiak - which is what Broncos fans are delighted that he is now part of the front office. The reason why the Broncos had such a good draft this year is down to Kubiak telling Elway he was an idiot for drafting athletes rather than footballers.

The next HC will get more control because Kubiak will make Elway give the coach more control - because Kubiak knows what is required from a coaching perspective - Elway never coached anybody.

As regards the game last night - the blowout win by the Broncos is more a demonstration of how bad the Cards are, coupled with Von Miller kicking the defence into shape. The defence won the game in the first quarter with the 2 INTs for TDs.

The blowout probably has kept Joseph in the job until the end of the season - unless there is a major meltdown again against the Chiefs next week and the Texans the week after. You would expect the Chiefs to hammer the Broncos in Arrowhead in the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

Not sure if it's been posted, but seem tweets thay cardinals fired McCoy as offensive coordinator

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1053303164408078338?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Byron Leftwich to call plays apparently.

Not sure if anyone has posted this anywhere - Boston Globe did a long-form piece on Aaron Hernandez, and have an accompanying podcast, Gladiator. Just listened to the first episode, and seems like a well researched, serious piece of sports journalism - some might be interested.

https://wondery.com/shows/gladiator/

Edit: Link to the articles - 6 parts.

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/spotlight/gladiator/bristol/

yeah its the crew who do Spotlight isnt it? That the whole Catholic church controversy there that was made into a movie of the same name. I've the podcasts downloaded but havent started into them yet. sounds good anyway, must get a round to listening to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

tripperman wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been posted, but seem tweets thay cardinals fired McCoy as offensive coordinator

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1053303164408078338?s=20

Well that's that problem solved.

• Advertisement

tripperman wrote: »

Well - after being a HC with the Chargers - getting an opportunity to rebuild his reputation with Denver and blowing it - and then getting another chance and blowing that one.

After this, chances are he never coordinates another offence in the NFL again.

Hyde traded to the Jags for a 5th. Looks like Fournette will be out for a while. Hyde will do a good job there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hyde traded to the Jags for a 5th. Looks like Fournette will be out for a while. Hyde will do a good job there.

Leaves the Browns with Duke Johnson & rookie Nick Chubb as there main RB’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

OOnegative wrote: »
    Leaves the Browns with Duke Johnson & rookie Nick Chubb as there main RB’s.

Tis a bit of strange one as Hyde has played the bulk of the snaps. Chubb has impressed in his limited game time, but we have no idea whether he can do it over a full game.

It's probable that the Browns have took a 5th as ammo for getting a receiver from some other team.

Just got a notification that Lewis Ward, a 26 year old kicker, of the Ottawa Red Blacks just broke Adam Vinitieri's record by kicking his 45th consecutive field goal without a miss. It was a 52 yarder to break the record too.
    I'd imagine he'll be in the NFL soon with that consistency level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement