Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Remember that Leonard Floyd slam on Amendola? He was fined $10k.

giphy.gif

Remember when he assaulted the air around Brock Osweiler? He was fined $20k

giphy.gif

Unbelievable.

LYBs61O1CD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If they don't start seeing sense on this qb protection stuff I don't know how inclined I'd be to keep watching. Don't think I'm alone on that. Pursuing high scoring games is one thing but if the integrity of the game is compromised then what you're seeing, and what the commentators are describing as amazing qb play, eventually isn't real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Not sure if anyone has posted this anywhere - Boston Globe did a long-form piece on Aaron Hernandez, and have an accompanying podcast, Gladiator. Just listened to the first episode, and seems like a well researched, serious piece of sports journalism - some might be interested.

https://wondery.com/shows/gladiator/

Edit: Link to the articles - 6 parts.

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/spotlight/gladiator/bristol/

I haven't listened to the podcasts yet, but I read these articles over the weekend. They are excellent pieces of journalism and a very depressing read.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭colmufc

The arron Hernandez spotlight podcast is great so far

Just wondering what's people's thoughts on sky moving redzone behind the red button and making it nonrecodable when it started on mix it should have stayed until it was finished
    Sick of it now , really what I'm asking is
    Is nfl gamepass worth it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I must say, I loved that graphic CBS used showing the Redskins 1st half TD from the eyes of the receiver. Has that been used before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Pretty amazing effort by this elderly Colts fan

https://twitter.com/colts/status/1054079161860411392?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

colmufc wrote: »
    The arron Hernandez spotlight podcast is great so far

Just wondering what's people's thoughts on sky moving redzone behind the red button and making it nonrecodable when it started on mix it should have stayed until it was finished
    Sick of it now , really what I'm asking is
    Is nfl gamepass worth it ?
    If you have sky sports, it's available on channel 121.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭colmufc

BizzyC wrote: »
    If you have sky sports, it's available on channel 121.

They cut the redzone broadcast at 11pm to show live womens rugby 7s , while I have no problem with what they were showing could they not have put it on a channel that was halfway thru a broadcast of something else and not only that but you can't record from behind the red button

• Advertisement

Amari Cooper's now a Cowboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Oh that's a lot to give up for Cooper

(1st Rounder)

A first rounder haha wtf?

Every GM in the league is probably calling Jerry Jones now trying to trade dead weight for some top picks

Maybe the Pats can sign Trent Richardson and trade him to the Cowboys at a cut price of a 2nd rounder.

https://twitter.com/michaeldavsmith/status/1054450593899659264?s=21

Unfortunately for the Raiders, Gruden will blow them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Oh that's a lot to give up for Cooper

(1st Rounder)

Gruden has bought himself a few years anyway. Three first rounders next year and two the following year in hand now.

Cooper has a year and half left on his contract. Next year his salary cap hit is $13m. Unless something drastically changed in his performance in the second half of the season, i presume the Raiders would have cut him and nobody would have given him a $13m deal in FS...not to mention trade a first rounder for him. Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

That's some serious ammo in the draft. Possibly picking at 3, 13 and 18 if the season were to stop now.

I really can't believe Cooper is worth a 1st.

Wow, I'm trying to figure out a rationale that would justify this from a Cowboys perspective, and I just can't. Not sure it vindicates him for trading away Mack, although I think given their cap situation he may have had to do something on that front. But still, interesting he's been at the good and bad ends of what most see as the two most lopsided trades of the season so far.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

I wonder if Derek Carr is on Jon Gruden's long term plans.

letowski wrote: »
    I wonder if Derek Carr is on Jon Gruden's long term plans.

The most concerning thing is that Gruden is in the Raiders long term plans.

I think at this stage you have to let it play out. In for a penny, in for a pound.

He's got a long term contract and the picks/cap to build a team he wants. If you believe in him enough to give him that contract you have to give him a few seasons to do what he wants.

and lol Cowboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Dez Bryant is staring at his phone somewhere getting annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Broncos have Demaryius Thomas WR and Brandon Marshall LB on the trade block

Thomas is being pushed for playing time by Courtland Sutton and Marshall is facing major competition from Josey Jewell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Great bit of business for the Radiers. They are going nowhere this year, and Cooper is not a top tier receiver, has only a year and a bit left on his favourable rookie deal, is prone to disappear and has a historically high drop rate.

I can see where the Cowboys were going with it, they badly need a wideout, but I just don't think they are as close to contending as they must think they are.

Great bit of business for the Radiers. They are going nowhere this year, and Cooper is not a top tier receiver, has only a year and a bit left on his favourable rookie deal, is prone to disappear and has a historically high drop rate.

I can see where the Cowboys were going with it, they badly need a wideout, but I just don't think they are as close to contending as they must think they are.

It's just such a crazy price. I don't even like seeing the Bears take a wide receiver in the first round of the draft itself, let alone handing over the same pick for a guy whose production hasn't been that of a first round talent in a while. With wideouts being a bit of a crapshoot in the draft, I figure if he was worth a first, they wouldn't have traded him for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I thought the Raiders overpaid for Bryant for a 3rd but wow is that an overpay for Cooper. Even if he does improve on the last year and a half they'll be paying him more than Julio next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

When you put into context what the likes of Cooks, Landry and Gordon went for it was looks so much worse. Cooper isn't anywhere near either of those in terms of ability, and will be getting paid next year. Cowboys obviously believe they have a realistic chance this year of a playoff run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Gruden has bought himself a few years anyway. Three first rounders next year and two the following year in hand now.

Gruden is the safest HC in the league with a guaranteed $100 whether he goes tomorrow or in 10 years time.

When you put into context what the likes of Cooks, Landry and Gordon went for it was looks so much worse. Cooper isn't anywhere near either of those in terms of ability, and will be getting paid next year. Cowboys obviously believe they have a realistic chance this year of a playoff run.

They can make the playoffs because the division is so poor but they won't do anything while there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ian Rapoport tweeted a good point to defend Cowboys (which I hate doing).

They now get a 24 year old 2 time Pro Bowler. Highlights how he's not much older than most draft picks in the position and they know what they are getting with him. It could work out but hard to not think a first round pick is a lot.

Raiders are playing an interesting and dangerous game. I know people say it's the rebuilding but seems like Gruden is hellbent on draft stock rather than looking for replacements within the league and FA. He will be expecting a lot from rookies and could easily end up drafting flops.

I'm bias again though as I am not a fan of Gruden as coach and reckon the Raiders were fools to give him that long contract.

Isn't his contract only 5 years really because of a break option?

I'm open to correction but I'm almost certain I read that somewhere.

Isn't his contract only 5 years really because of a break option?

I'm open to correction but I'm almost certain I read that somewhere.

I’d imagine it’s not the straight $100m/10 years guaranteed contract anyway. I’d say there’s some get out clause somewhere in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

5 years is long enough for him to tank this season, rebuild for two more and then start winning before any contract review/breakpoint though. In theory.

Theory aside though I'm not sure how thrilled I'd be as a Raiders fan looking down the barrel of 3/4 terrible seasons in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Blut2 wrote: »
    5 years is long enough for him to tank this season, rebuild for two more and then start winning before any contract review/breakpoint though. In theory.

Theory aside though I'm not sure how thrilled I'd be as a Raiders fan looking down the barrel of 3/4 terrible seasons in a row.
    The blueprint for being successful these days seems to be:

Season 1-2
    - trade away big names and stockpile draft picks
    - tank a few season to make those draftpicks more valuable

Season 3
    - get a rookie QB on the rookie pay-scale
    - let him develop for a season or two

Season 4-8
    - with QB and other high draft choices on 5 year contract on low money, surround him with big free agents
    - proceed to playoffs

In an ideal world, Raiders would have kept Mack and Cooper, but they're the sort of players they need in 2021, not this year.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The blueprint for being successful these days seems to be:

Season 1-2
    - trade away big names and stockpile draft picks
    - tank a few season to make those draftpicks more valuable

Season 3
    - get a rookie QB on the rookie pay-scale
    - let him develop for a season or two

Season 4-8
    - with QB and other high draft choices on 5 year contract on low money, surround him with big free agents
    - proceed to playoffs

In an ideal world, Raiders would have kept Mack and Cooper, but they're the sort of players they need in 2021, not this year.

That's a fair read of the situation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I would say its more like get a good QB on a rookie contract, then trade away draft picks/spend big in FA to bring in quality around that.

Gives you a window of 3-4 years to win a SB. The question then is do you extend your rookie QB or do you trade him and try and do the same thing again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

adrian522 wrote: »
    I would say its more like get a good QB on a rookie contract, then trade away draft picks/spend big in FA to bring in quality around that.

Gives you a window of 3-4 years to win a SB. The question then is do you extend your rookie QB or do you trade him and try and do the same thing again?

I'd go down the draft route. Look at Green Bay. They won't win another SB with Rodgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Like I said maybe I'm bias as I don't believe Gruden will be a success. Think he's stuck in his ways and it's been too long since he's been an extremely succesful coach. Hasn't won a playoff game since 2002, the Super Bowl winning year.

Even his Super Bowl season leads to debate. He definitely deserves credit for it but like Warren Sapp said "Tony baked the cake and Jon put the icing on it".

My big issue is how much of a rebuild was necessary in Oakland? Easy to forget this was a team that went 12-4 in 2016 with multiple Pro-Bowlers, and had Carr not got injured who knows.

Last year was bad for them at 6-10 but I still believe the pieces were there for them to challenge this year and so far they are 1-5. Most rebuild jobs are like Shedite27 said, but most revolve around the need of finding a franchise QB. And with a 27 year old 3 time pro-bowler you would expect that task isn't required, also has pro-bowl winning offensive linemen (from last year even).

Raiders must have given him the go ahead to strip that team apart and rebuild it to his liking. With the relocation coming up maybe they aren't as pushed about actual on field success until the first season in Vegas. I also think some of this breaking the roster down and rebuilding is stemming from Gruden wanting no doubts that it's a team he built if success comes their way.

Maybe I'm naive but fully believe that Gruden had inheritated a team that he could tweak and make some adjustments to and be able to compete for a playoff spot.

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1054691373792878592?s=21

Seems a bit silly the source saying he can’t see Carr being taken seriously by teammates as a leader again because he cried after getting injured.

FFS, you’d think those within the NFL would have learned about this “manly man” perception rubbish by now. It’s not the 1940’s any more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Paully D wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1054691373792878592?s=21

Seems a bit silly the source saying he can’t see Carr being taken seriously by teammates as a leader again because he cried after getting injured.

FFS, you’d think those within the NFL would have learned about this “manly man” perception rubbish by now. It’s not the 1940’s any more.

tenor.gif?itemid=4872137

Another possibility is that the Cowboys have realized that they’ll need to decide on Dak pretty soon and he wasn’t looking good going with the guys they’d left him with this year. With Cooper they give him what should be an upgrade and see what happens. Their other option was leaving it until next year to give him some talent and by the time they have a few months to settle in then they would be tight on doing a deal with Dak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

VonZan wrote: »
    I'd go down the draft route. Look at Green Bay. They won't win another SB with Rodgers.

as a packer fan, I hope to god your wrong, but Rodgers and his contract is not the reason packers haven't won more superbowls, it's poor drafting, poor management are the main reason we haven't won more and since Rodgers was made the highest paid player the last time around his being to 2 nfc championship games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

cosatron wrote: »
    as a packer fan, I hope to god your wrong, but Rodgers and his contract is not the reason packers haven't won more superbowls, it's poor drafting, poor management are the main reason we haven't won more and since Rodgers was made the highest paid player the last time around his being to 2 nfc championship games.

I think the point is teams are better off following the Seahawks/Rams model of getting a good QB on a rookie deal, surrounded with talent rather than getting an elite QB on a big money deal and hoping he'll make everyone better.

Still not easy to find a good QB in the draft that you will get 3 good years out of on his rookie deal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think the point is teams are better off following the Seahawks/Rams model of getting a good QB on a rookie deal, surrounded with talent rather than getting an elite QB on a big money deal and hoping he'll make everyone better.

Still not easy to find a good QB in the draft that you will get 3 good years out of on his rookie deal though.
    Yeah big difference in who you draft, imagine Jacksonville if they had Goff/Wentz/Mahomes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Just looking at the last 13 championships and what is obvious is that all of these teams were built around a quality QB. Young ones? Wilson, Manning(04), Wentz and Flacco ... the rest built around top notch veterans although I guess Big Ben may count as young for one of those.

Foles/Wentz
    Brady *2
    P Manning*2
    Wilson
    Flacco
    E Manning *2
    Rodgers
    Brees
    Rothelsberger*2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Eli Apple gone to Saints for a 2019 4th and 2020 7th. NYG must have been desperate to get rid of him, that price is nothing for a 2016 first rounder.

• Advertisement

Chad Kelly arrested for first degree criminal trespass. He managed to keep out of public trouble right up until the point where there was a lot of noise for him to get game time.

Advertisement