Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Talking about a video needed to get the outrage going:

http://www.tmz.com/2018/11/30/kc-chiefs-kareem-hunt-attacked-kicked-woman-surveillance-video/

Kareem's kick was not that forceful but she was on the ground gathering herself after being knocked down is so cowardly. The anger and aggression towards the woman and his past history with women*, I can't imagine what would have happened if there weren't several people holding him back (not to mention how many opportunities he had to just walk away)...Hunt is a complete and utter scumbag.

*confused him with Tyreek Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Hazys wrote: »

http://www.tmz.com/2018/11/30/kc-chiefs-kareem-hunt-attacked-kicked-woman-surveillance-video/

Kareem's kick was not that forceful but she was on the ground gathering herself after being knocked down is so cowardly. The anger and aggression towards the woman and his past history with women*, I can't imagine what would have happened if there weren't several people holding him back (not to mention how many opportunities he had to just walk away)...Hunt is a complete and utter scumbag.

The Chiefs clearly have questionable morals when it comes to players actions so they'll likely do nothing. The one thing the NFL doesn't like is to people to actually see these incidents so he's in serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You have a link to convictions or findings made? Thanks.

No I don't but his ex said there were multiple episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Whilst i did the same thing...

Still, that was absolutely ****. How is it so hard, y'know, to not beat other people, and that's before we dial down into the scumbaggery of beating women!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

So this happened in February and apparently he wasn't honest about things back then. Now a video comes out and he is cut by the Chiefs immediately.

Consider me suspicious. I don't for one moment believe that the Chiefs, or any other franchise, wouldn't investigate this fully at the time they became aware of it and get their hands on any footage of the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah, Ray Rice syndrome all over again. Such absolute transparent hypocrisy as always, nothing has been learned at all in the intervening years. It's all just about PR, never a thought about what's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Very surprised that the Chiefs would release him. Thought he would get a 6 game suspension and that would be the end of it. He’s definitely getting picked up on waivers, especially since Foster got picked up unless I’m underestimating the difference a video makes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Very surprised that the Chiefs would release him. Thought he would get a 6 game suspension and that would be the end of it. He’s definitely getting picked up on waivers, especially since Foster got picked up unless I’m underestimating the difference a video makes

You are. Players have beat the women before but Ray rice knocked her cold on camera and thus ended rice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

He’s definitely getting picked up on waivers
    This is where the NFL should step in. He should get a 2 year suspension, setting the tone. Don't allow teams to pick him up. If the owners would just "collude" to ensure guys like this are never picked up, it would make a huge difference than just heading to a new team.
    And I would say it's more than likely that the NFL had access to the tape all along; much like the Ray Rice incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

When your 8-4 fantasy team takes a beating too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This is where the NFL should step in. He should get a 2 year suspension, setting the tone. Don't allow teams to pick him up. If the owners would just "collude" to ensure guys like this are never picked up, it would make a huge difference than just heading to a new team.
    And I would say it's more than likely that the NFL had access to the tape all along; much like the Ray Rice incident.

He'll do well next season when the Redskins sign him.

I think the NFL need to their act together as regards this stuff.
    I have to say though that I've seen a lot worse things that what's in that video. It's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think the NFL need to their act together as regards this stuff.
    I have to say though that I've seen a lot worse things that what's in that video. It's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

That's an outrageous statement.

Need to click on tweet to see it in full.

https://twitter.com/HogsHaven/status/1068888081200238592

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Oh relax. Did you watch the video? Hunt wasn't even talking to the girl in the black dress but she felt the need to get up in his face. He's looking behind her the entire time until she comes at him, getting herself involved in someone else's dispute and using racial slurs. Nobody says anything about her behaviour? He showed great restraint. Just because she's a woman her actions shouldn't be excused, but they will be. "Black man assaults innocent white girl" will always be the narrative.

giphy.gif

Kicking the idiot when she was on the ground was dumb, but intoxicated people do dumb sh*t. He even showed restraint with the kick though.

The whole thing it being blown way out of proportion.

What's outrageous? That I've seen a lot of stuff much worse than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

It's not like Hunt doesn't have form on this :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Oat23 wrote: »
    Oh relax. Did you watch the video? Hunt wasn't even talking to the girl in the black dress but she felt the need to get up in his face. He's looking behind her the entire time until she comes at him, getting herself involved in someone else's dispute and using racial slurs. Nobody says anything about her behaviour? He showed great restraint. Just because she's a woman her actions shouldn't be excused, but they will be. "Black man assaults innocent white girl" will always be the narrative.

giphy.gif

Kicking the idiot when she was on the ground was dumb, but intoxicated people do dumb sh*t. He even showed restraint with the kick though.

Is there some audio that I'm missing?
    The video shows him assaulting her. I don't see the restraint. I see a pattern with him alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The stat that's doing the rounds at the moment, is that Aaron Rodgers is 0-37 when going into the 4th Qtr, losing by a point or more against a winning record team.

I know he has similar 4th quarter comebacks numbers as Ryan Tannehill but that stat is pretty crazy.

Sad truth is I'd bet he got GB back in the lead on a good 20+ of those games only for the defense to blow it in the last minute. By the time he'd been in the league 5 years that had happened to him more than Brady and Peyton Mannigg combined, actually close to double if I recall, despite only playing something like 15% of the games that they had combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Don't think he should've been released based on what I heard happened. No one should be allowed to say the things she allegedly said with impunity. He was provoked, he should've reacted in a more mature way considering his profile, but he made an incredibly stupid and scummy mistake. It was an act of drunken rage in a highly tense situation. To lose his career over it would be a bit extreme imo. Then again, I don't know the facts, I'm just basing this on what's out there atm.

As alluded to above there's an awful double standard with these things in the league. What Hunt's teammate did is far worse. I'd much rather have Hunt than Hill based on the crimes.

Pleasantly surprised that Chiefs took the step they did. Have to feel they made the calculation that if they didn't it would be the story of the team and continued distraction for the rest of their season and likely deep playoff run.

I think a large portion of NFL fans still aren't aware of what Hill did and by keeping Hunt it would likely shine even more light on that. Hill is much more valuable to the team than Hunt.

giphy.gif

Why ask about seeing the video and then post a clip of it edited to mildest part of it?

Your talk of great restraint is laughable. He literally has 4 different friends trying to drag him away from ruining his life and he still pushes them out of the way to do so.

Don't think he should've been released based on what I heard happened. No one should be allowed to say the things she allegedly said with impunity. He was provoked, he should've reacted in a more mature way considering his profile, but he made an incredibly stupid and scummy mistake. It was an act of drunken rage in a highly tense situation. To lose his career over it would be a bit extreme imo. Then again, I don't know the facts, I'm just basing this on what's out there atm.

As alluded to above there's an awful double standard with these things in the league. What Hunt's teammate did is far worse. I'd much rather have Hunt than Hill based on the crimes.

I have an issue with the two bold statements above. if you're not allowed get away with what she's said, is there a scale of punishments due for different levels of verbal abuse then? A few slaps for mild abuse, going up in scale to a full beat down for a racial slur etc?

And secondly, drink should never be used as an excuse or as a justification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would there be an ounce of the furor if it was drunken person A having a bit of aggro with drunken person B? Equality goes both ways.

Would there be an ounce of the furor if it was drunken person A having a bit of aggro with drunken person B? Equality goes both ways.

Probably not but the NFL, which is a private corporation with an agreed CBA with its labour, has a conduct policy that doesn't apply in most of the real world. And this incident falls foul of the conduct policy so random drunken person A attacking random drunken person B doesn't apply.

If my aunt had balls...

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Why ask about seeing the video and then post a clip of it edited to mildest part of it?

Your talk of great restraint is laughable. He literally has 4 different friends trying to drag him away from ruining his life and he still pushes them out of the way to do so.

I posted a GIF showing the part where it started when the girl came at him when he wasn't even talking to her. Look at his body language. It's exactly what his friends and even the girl who he pushed said was happening. Hunt and his girlfriend were trying to get the 'victim' and her drunk friends to leave because they were being loud and annoying. He's not being confrontational. He's asking them to go, pointing at the elevator and she starts coming at him.

It was dumb of him to get involved and push some stupid teenager but the whole thing is stupid. Scuffles like this happen all the time. Had it been some white guy coming at him and calling him and his friends n*ggers it would have been a whole lot worse than a shoving contest. So yes, great restraint was shown.

I posted a GIF showing the part where it started when the girl came at him when he wasn't even talking to her. Look at his body language. It's exactly what his friends and even the girl who he pushed said was happening. Hunt and his girlfriend were trying to get the 'victim' and her drunk friends to leave because they were being loud and annoying. He's not being confrontational. He's asking them to go, pointing at the elevator and she starts coming at him.

It was dumb of him to get involved and push some stupid teenager but the whole thing is stupid. Scuffles like this happen all the time.

Push her, charge her and knock her down, and kick while she was on the ground.
    Had it been some white guy coming at him and calling him and his friends n*ggers it would have been a whole lot worse than a shoving contest.

More 'what if' crap. It wasn't a guy, it was a drunk teenage girl that was half his size.
    So yes, great restraint was shown.

So from events that actually happened how did he show the restraint you've claimed?

Foxtrol wrote:
    I'm, there wasn't much to it. I didn't see what I'd call violence.
    Foxtrol wrote:
    More 'what if' crap. It wasn't a guy, it was a drunk teenage girl that was half his size.
    And we are supposed to walk away but the guy was drunk and already upset.
    Foxtrol wrote:
    So from events that actually happened how did he show the restraint you've claimed?
    He didn't do serious damage, his kick was limp and he walked away then.

I've seen the results of real domestic violence and this ain't close. In an Irish court I'd expect a fine and a slap on the wrist for something like this.

• Advertisement

I've seen the results of real domestic violence and this ain't close. In an Irish court I'd expect a fine and a slap on the wrist for something like this.

Ray Rice knocking his fiance out cold and dragging her around while she's unconscious is domestic violence. Chris Brown beating the sh*t out of Rihanna is too. This is just two dumb people who don't even know each other having an altercation. Not sure why the media keep calling it domestic violence. It's missing the domestic part.

Because he didn't punch her like he would have done if it had been a guy. Luckily for her Hunt doesn't seem to be a believer in the whole equality thing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Do you think that slender young woman would have gotten up if NFL running back Kareem Hunt kicked her full force without any restraint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean how is this different to Ray Rice ? He was only ****canned by the NFL after the video emerged. Whether it's the right thing to do or not, kareem hunt should be given the Ray Rice treatment as that was the standard set by the NFL back then.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean how is this different to Ray Rice ? He was only ****canned by the NFL after the video emerged. Whether it's the right thing to do or not, kareem hunt should be given the Ray Rice treatment as that was the standard set by the NFL back then.

Well personally I don't want to get into the debate above whether it's serious or not, but just focusing on the league's response, the Ray Rice saga was the exact, textbook definition of how NOT to handle a situation like this, so copying it again just demonstrates that they have learned nothing and have no intention of learning anything. The principle it establishes is, basically, crimes committed in front of cameras are more serious than ones not on cameras. Now given that the NFL wants us to believe that they have this player conduct policy for ethical reasons, this principle of "you're fired if TMZ show it" demonstrates quite clearly that this ethical appeal is complete hypocrisy on their part. The NFL, incredibly, had claimed in the Ray Rice saga that they didn't see the video until it went public. What the Rice thing revealed was the extent to which their conduct policy is nothing more than damage control and image projection. The whole point in the aftermath of it was that the league promised it would and could do better, that they had failed to live up to the standards they supposedly set for themselves.

This demonstrates what we already knew: Roger Gooddell is, in a word, a sh1tehawk.

True. But in Ireland, expect to have difficulty getting some jobs with a conviction for assaulting a woman.

Ultimately he's a professional athlete, she's a young woman.

Whether he checked his kick or not, it shouldn't get to the stage where he's thinking of kicking a woman. It should not even cross his mind. He always has the option of walking away and closing the door.

So while we've all seen worse, some of us may have seen victims of violence and domestic violence beaten black and blue, with broken limbs, on the other hand if he costs him his career I wouldn't be remotely sympathetic. Actions have consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote:
    Foxtrol wrote:
    Foxtrol wrote:

He was drunk and upset. That does not matter. He didn't have to go violent. He can scream and shout at her all he likes. And I don't care what you call violent. That is violent. Saying you have seen worse is also pointless - just because someone beat someone else up more does not give you a free pass.

The video someone else posted (hilariously meant to be in his defense) shows he is pushing through people to make it violent.

Actions have consequences (well in the NFL only if a video gets released).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Folks the Ray rice incident is no basis for punishment. Zeke Elliott got 6 games for an incident that he wasn't convicted off,with no evidence like we have with Hunt, so that's the absolute minimum base line of what hunt should be punished with. A full season is probably a fair punishment,and then see if teams are willing to take him on,you'd hope no team would but someone will with out doubt.

I applaud the chiefs for their stance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well personally I don't want to get into the debate above whether it's serious or not, but just focusing on the league's response, the Ray Rice saga was the exact, textbook definition of how NOT to handle a situation like this, so copying it again just demonstrates that they have learned nothing and have no intention of learning anything. The principle it establishes is, basically, crimes committed in front of cameras are more serious than ones not on cameras. Now given that the NFL wants us to believe that they have this player conduct policy for ethical reasons, this principle of "you're fired if TMZ show it" demonstrates quite clearly that this ethical appeal is complete hypocrisy on their part. The NFL, incredibly, had claimed in the Ray Rice saga that they didn't see the video until it went public. What the Rice thing revealed was the extent to which their conduct policy is nothing more than damage control and image projection. The whole point in the aftermath of it was that the league promised it would and could do better, that they had failed to live up to the standards they supposedly set for themselves.

This demonstrates what we already knew: Roger Gooddell is, in a word, a sh1tehawk.

Crimes committed on camera are a teensy bit easier to prove than ones not on camera...

Because he didn't punch her like he would have done if it had been a guy. Luckily for her Hunt doesn't seem to be a believer in the whole equality thing. :pac:

I would say that I really doubt you'd feel the same if you heard your sister or mother was treated like that by a man twice her size, no matter how much of an eejit she was acting, but I'm sure you'll say here that you'd feel she should be thankful not to have gotten more of a beating. :rolleyes:

If Hunt tries your weak justification that him going repeatedly after a woman and despite being held back by 4 people still knocking her to the ground and kicking her is him showing restraint then he will rightly never play in the league again.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »

Crimes committed on camera are a teensy bit easier to prove than ones not on camera...
    They already had proof in the rice case that it had happened, proof wasn't the issue, optics were. Secondly, it defies credibility that the NFL and the Ravens didn't have access to that video before we all did. They only acted on it when it went public. To pretend that the NFL were doing everything they could to get to the bottom of it all but just needed the video proof to really get after Rice is an absolutely hilarious revision of what actually happened.

It isn't to Rice levels of violence but pushing, then knocking someone to the ground, and then kicking them isn't violence?

None of these are valid excuses for his actions.

In every NFL disciplinary case why do posters continue to use as a discussion point what would happen in a real court?

If someone worked in any other small close knit industry they would likely be fired and struggle to get work if there were rumours that they assaulted a woman and later video surfaced confirming that they had and also lied to their employer about the incident.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They already had proof in the rice case that it had happened, proof wasn't the issue, optics were. Secondly, it defies credibility that the NFL and the Ravens didn't have access to that video before we all did. They only acted on it when it went public. To pretend that the NFL were doing everything they could to get to the bottom of it all but just needed the video proof to really get after Rice is an absolutely hilarious revision of what actually happened.

No one is arguing otherwise on the Rice case.

Your contention that they are "copying" the same approach here and setting precedent is based on absolutely nothing. In a scenario where some witnesses and victims won't co-operate with the NFL and the hotel won't release the video to them (and I see no reason to doubt that considering its coming from the hotel itself and would be a pretty standard policy) they can only go off what information they can get. Considering the only people who actually gave their side was the perpetrator it is not exactly a leap of faith to think they downplayed the incident. The video contradicts their story and is evidence the NFL did not previously have.

That was cringeworthy. Along the same lines as to the text in the tweet, whoever thought this was a good idea needs to be fired. “I’ve had women who are friends”. That’s serious facepalm stuff.

I know it’s only a portion of the video but I wonder did he apologize at any point?

Edit - it appears in the full video that he did apologize. So there’s that at least.

I have an issue with the two bold statements above. if you're not allowed get away with what she's said, is there a scale of punishments due for different levels of verbal abuse then? A few slaps for mild abuse, going up in scale to a full beat down for a racial slur etc?

And secondly, drink should never be used as an excuse or as a justification.

Well the P.C. answer is no. People in that situation should walk away, especially those who hold a high-profile position. But in the real world the answer is yes. If what she allegedly said is true, and if she was standing in their faces calling them n*ggers, then absolutely they deserve a slap. Just because she is a woman she thinks she can say things like that with impunity. And especially in a situation when drink is a factor.

And no, drink doesn't excuse what was done. I never said that, nor hinted at it. It does, however, lessen the severity of it.
    Let me ask you so, if that incident happened in the cold light of day, and all people were stone cold sober, would the incident be more or less severe, or would it change the severity of it?
    If you think that drink shouldn't be taken as a factor in this incident you have simply never been drunk before in your life, and do not understand it's influence.

And fwiw, I fully believe that Kareem Hunt should be at least suspended for half a season. It was a disgusting, scummy act, but it should absolutely not cost him his career. He provoked by someone who was clearly a vile, racist and entitled woman in a highly charged situation.
    And despite the cheap shot taken by Presley above, I do not believe the drink excuses nor justifies his actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If what she allegedly said is true, and if she was standing in their faces calling them n*ggers, then absolutely they deserve a slap.

Seriously they deserve a slap? Racial slurs or not, a woman does not deserve a “slap” as you say in any circumstances. Good god!!

Edit: And not for one minute am I condoning what the young lady “allegedly” said. Still doesn’t warrant a “slap” as you say.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Seriously they deserve a slap? Racial slurs or not, a woman does not deserve a “slap” as you say in any circumstances. Good god!!

Yes, absolutely. If a woman is standing in the face of a black man and repeatedly calling him a n*gger, then yes, slap that bitch. If it was a guy he would get bet to sh*t. Don't see why a woman can hid behind the fact she's a woman and do things with impunity.

Well the P.C. answer is no. People in that situation should walk away, especially those who hold a high-profile position. But in the real world the answer is yes. If what she allegedly said is true, and if she was standing in their faces calling them n*ggers, then absolutely they deserve a slap. Just because she is a woman she thinks she can say things like that with impunity. And especially in a situation when drink is a factor.

And no, drink doesn't excuse what was done. I never said that, nor hinted at it. It does, however, lessen the severity of it.
    Let me ask you so, if that incident happened in the cold light of day, and all people were stone cold sober, would the incident be more or less severe, or would it change the severity of it?
    If you think that drink shouldn't be taken as a factor in this incident you have simply never been drunk before in your life, and do not understand it's influence.

And fwiw, I fully believe that Kareem Hunt should be at least suspended for half a season. It was a disgusting, scummy act, but it should absolutely not cost him his career. He provoked by someone who was clearly a vile, racist and entitled woman in a highly charged situation.
    And despite the cheap shot taken by Presley above, I do not believe the drink excuses nor justifies his actions.

Having an issue with someone's post is hardly a cheap shot.

But on one hand you're saying drink doesn't excuse his actions but that it lesses the severity of the incident and that if I think drink shouldn't be taken as a factor, I don't understand its influence. That sounds like excuse making or giving it some sort of justification to me.

And you say that it was a scummy act and he deserves a suspension but also that in the real world she deserved a slap. So why do you want him suspended for half the season then? Is it only people who have personal conduct policies with their jobs who are not allowed slap people?

I'm going to respond to each point individually here.
    Having an issue with someone's post is hardly a cheap shot.

It wasn't a case of having an issue with my post, it was completely misrepresenting it. I never alluded to 'excusing his actions', not once. You put those words in my mouth to take a cheap shot, and you did it again.
    But on one hand you're saying drink doesn't excuse his actions but that it lesses the severity of the incident and that if I think drink shouldn't be taken as a factor, I don't understand its influence. That sounds like excuse making or giving it some sort of justification to me.
    Absolutely not. I don't think you understand that excusing or justifying it is absolutely not the same as lessening its severity. What he did should not be excused or justified, but some factors should be taken into account, mainly him being provoked and likely drunk/high.
    And you say that it was a scummy act and he deserves a suspension but also that in the real world she deserved a slap. So why do you want him suspended for half the season then? Is it only people who have personal conduct policies with their jobs who are not allowed slap people?

Ahhhh jesus christ man. The man flaked the young one with a kick while she was on the ground ffs. For that, he deserves all that's coming to him. But IMO, it would be harsh for him to lose his career for it considering the circumstances.

If he does lose his career for it, I will not shed a tear for him. I'm just saying that I don't think he should. That's really all I am trying to say here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Locking this for the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement