Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Marvin Lewis is done as HC of the bengals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Marvin Lewis is done as HC of the bengals.

Schrags on GMFB saying the Bengals really respect Hue and don't rule him out as a potential replacement. :eek:

Sounds like Lewis could stay with the Bengals in another role which would help Hue's chances.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Schrags on GMFB saying the Bengals really respect Hue and don't rule him out as a potential replacement. :eek:

Dear Jesus hue is going to be the next head coach isn't he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭billr67

Carnage Dolphins and Broncos coaches gone now too!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭billr67

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Dear Jesus hue is going to be the next head coach isn't he ?

As a Steelers fan I totally endorse this idea.

• Advertisement

billr67 wrote: »
    this happens every year.

As a Steelers fan I totally endorse this idea.

So is hue the old Trojan horse of the AFC north ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm getting dizzy. So many teams will be looking for a new HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

It’s Black Monday :)

It would be stranger if multiple firings around the league were not happening

Sounds like Lewis could stay with the Bengals in another role .

There’s been talk of Lewis moving upstairs to an executive / front office role for a few years now. Many were convinced it would happen two years ago. Maybe this is the time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

OOnegative wrote: »
    Vance Joseph gone at the Broncos.

Woohoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,122 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The six highest paid QBs of 2018 all missed the playoffs.
    Those are Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garoppolo, Matt Stafford and Derek Carr

Woohoo
    Do you blame him or Elway. I think Elway is more responsible for what's happened than anybody else. He should be fired.
    This isn't just a Denver thing, same applies in Tampa Bay, New York Jets, Miami, Cleveland and Arizona imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yet Jay Gruden and Bruce Allen still have jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

No heavy legged waist benders in Oakland / Vegas so

Just on the Jags thing with Fournette. Imo the guy is really good and the big problems is Bortles. If you had a QB who could throw the ball there would be space for Fournette to do his thing.
    So you void Fournette's guarantees over a suspension but you gave Bortles a new contract at the start of the season. What on Earth is going on in Jacksonville? I know which one of those two I'd like to keep and it ain't Blake Bortles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you blame him or Elway. I think Elway is more responsible for what's happened than anybody else. He should be fired.
    This isn't just a Denver thing, same applies in Tampa Bay, New York Jets, Miami, Cleveland and Arizona imo.
    Absolutely blame elway. He's made so many bad decisions the last few years that we all know.

Absolutely nothing against VJ, he seems like a nice guy. But he was absolutely out of his depth.

Elway clearly tried a hail Mary on that hire to show how smart he was. It was clear as day.

Thankfully with Kubiak at least as part of the team he can temper a lot of John's choices as he's clearly the only person that elway listens to.

Elway is as unsackable as can be in a job in the NFL. And while there's that continuing chaos regarding the ownership of the team he'll be going no where.

I can only imagine how happy JRG is today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The six highest paid QBs of 2018 all missed the playoffs.
    Those are Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garoppolo, Matt Stafford and Derek Carr

Points to the value of having a QB on a cheap deal so you have money to spend elsewhere, be it as a rookie deal or towards the end of long term deal/career, rather than a real issue with those contracts specifically. Give it a few years and those may look cheap compared to the next tranche of QB deals and the cycle will begin again.

It is just another example of positional value in the draft which will go out the window in some analysis in a few weeks when something shiny comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭letowski

I don't know if there is 8 qualified Head Coaches out there to fill these positions. For a team like the Browns, it might be best stick with Greg Williams. I see GB are requesting an interview with McDaniels. This is going to be a very interesting offseason for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Points to the value of having a QB on a cheap deal so you have money to spend elsewhere, be it as a rookie deal or towards the end of long term deal/career, rather than a real issue with those contracts specifically. Give it a few years and those may look cheap compared to the next tranche of QB deals and the cycle will begin again.

It is just another example of positional value in the draft which will go out the window in some analysis in a few weeks when something shiny comes along.

Good point, 7 QBs on rookie deals along with Brady, Rivers and Brees.
    At the same time every franchise that made the playoffs have their man at QB, with perhaps the Ravens the odd team out. Damned if you, damned if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I just hope the vogue for offensive coordinators stays rolling (which I imagine it will, given the success of Nagy and others like him) and nobody goes looking to hire Vic Fangio away from Chicago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I just hope the vogue for offensive coordinators stays rolling (which I imagine it will, given the success of Nagy and others like him) and nobody goes looking to hire Vic Fangio away from Chicago.

People are in love with the offensive minds but Fangio is the top candidate on the defensive side I'd say. I think he's nailed on to get an offer for HC somewhere if he wants it.

Which as a Lions fan I would be quite happy with. Also as a Lions fan this trend for offensive minds is really annoying since we need a good OC and if we get one they probably won't stay long.

Just on the Jags thing with Fournette. Imo the guy is really good and the big problems is Bortles. If you had a QB who could throw the ball there would be space for Fournette to do his thing.
    So you void Fournette's guarantees over a suspension but you gave Bortles a new contract at the start of the season. What on Earth is going on in Jacksonville? I know which one of those two I'd like to keep and it ain't Blake Bortles.

And people moan when rookies hold out signing contracts due to wording when their salary is set already. This is the exact type of abuse by teams that good agents are trying to protect their players against.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Sounds like Lewis could stay with the Bengals in another role which would help Hue's chances.

Rumours that the Bengals will have a Jackson / Vance Joseph combo.

Elway is not without blame - the the real problem within the Broncos is the control Joe Ellis has over the ownership trust.

I'm waiting for someone to reach for a young offensive minded coach (either a fresh OC or a college coach) and it to completely explode in their faces. It might just be the media/bookies but some of the guys who are on likely candidates lists don't have near the experience the likes of Nagy or Shanahan did before stepping up (or even McVay with him being an outlier with a lower end of experience).

Absolutely blame elway. He's made so many bad decisions the last few years that we all know.
    Elway has made a lot more good than bad decisions.
    Absolutely nothing against VJ, he seems like a nice guy. But he was absolutely out of his depth.
    The evidence is to the contrary - Joseph was accused of multiple sexual assaults while a coach at CU - and it was buried.
    Elway clearly tried a hail Mary on that hire to show how smart he was. It was clear as day.
    Reports are that Elway wanted Kyle Shanahan - and was pretty much knobbled by Ellis and Russell.
    Thankfully with Kubiak at least as part of the team he can temper a lot of John's choices as he's clearly the only person that elway listens to.
    Kubiak has always been under-rated as a coach - and in his current job with the Broncos.

As for standing up to Elway - he does need people who are not afraid to disagree with him - and that is why I want a coaching combo of Mike Shanahan / Gary Kubiak to replace Joseph.
    Elway is as unsackable as can be in a job in the NFL. And while there's that continuing chaos regarding the ownership of the team he'll be going no where.
    Would have been a lot happier if he had never been hired in the first place. He was one of six HCs hired two years ago and was by far and away the worst hire. Plus he should have been sacked last season - and replaced by Mike Shanahan (with Cousins at QB) - except for Ellis to knobbled it.
    I can only imagine how happy JRG is today though.

Better late than never - it is a shame that a tough, talented defence has been wasted for two years with that yobbo in charge.

But I will have a scoop or two tonight to celebrate - and in the hope that Matt Russell will get a severely belated kick up the a*se as well.

Foxtrol wrote: »

The way the NFL is going teams can only compete if they have a QB on a rookie deal - unless they have a QB willing to take a major team-friendly deal.

The Broncos had a chance of getting Kirk Cousins for $20million less than the Vikings paid him - and Joe Ellis should be shot for knobbling the deal.

Broncos request permission to interview Patriots’ DC Brian Flores and Steelers’ OL coach Mike Munchak

Obviously Josh McDaniels name will be big news again.
    I'd imagine Eric Bieniemy will get looked at by a lot of teams too. Dave Toub might be looked at as well.
    Bruce Arians if he is interested could get a job.
    Jim Schwartz will obviously be sought after this year too I'd guess.
    I think Norv Turner will get the Panthers gig if he wants it.
    An intriguing one would be Urban Meyer. He has walked away from Ohio State and I think he wants a break from college football. I don't even know if he would be interested in the NFL. I don't know if he has the playbook for the NFL either but he is a very big name.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote:
    I'm waiting for someone to reach for a young offensive minded coach (either a fresh OC or a college coach) and it to completely explode in their faces. It might just be the media/bookies but some of the guys who are on likely candidates lists don't have near the experience the likes of Nagy or Shanahan did before stepping up (or even McVay with him being an outlier with a lower end of experience).
    As soon as I read that I immediately thought of Lincoln Riley.
    I have no idea he would be interested but the job he has done with the offense in Oklahoma is insane.

Advertisement