Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

That is crazy. I would say if you gave me 200 guesses to name the 5 QB's in that list, I wouldn't have gotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

D9Male wrote: »
    That is crazy. I would say if you gave me 200 guesses to name the 5 QB's in that list, I wouldn't have gotten it.

Lads with no real running game if you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Lads with no real running game if you think about it

Don't think it has too much to do with running, as the Patriots ranked #5 in rushing and the Bills #9, with the lowest being the Jets at #26.

I'd say it is more a mix of difficulty of throws attempted, being under pressure and actually targeting a receiver rather than throwing it away or taking a sack, and 2 being rookies who are getting up to speed of the game (with Allen known coming in as having accuracy issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Did anyone else notice that Ezekiel Elliott is ranked as the 30th best RB in football this season according to PFF? I don't know why their grades get so much coverage these days. The system has so many flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Oat23 wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that Ezekiel Elliott is ranked as the 30th best RB in football this season according to PFF? I don't know why their grades get so much coverage these days. The system has so many flaws.

And Evan Engram in their top 5 TEs. He must have played about 30% of snaps, if even that.

Never asked to block either, which affects the rating.

But yeah, there are flaws all over but it really is a massive thing. Fans opinions now sway on them, and would not be surprised if they were in contract clauses similar to Pro bowls.

I can almost guarantee agents will use them when negotiating to drive up a salary.

They review and change the ratings quite a lot also, but the more I learn about line play and blocking schemes, the less I seem to know. That alone makes me think its nearly impossible for any of them to ever give a proper grading to OL in particular, yet that's possibly the position you see the grades getting the most interest. Likely again because its hard for the average viewer to focus or assess on those players.

I try not to take them too seriously, but its hard not to get caught up in the stats when it comes to football, and PFF ratings are just another layer of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Oat23 wrote:

So the leading rushing back for two of the last three seasons is the 30 th best in the league
    Will ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Rumour in Denver that the Broncos are talking to the Packers about a trade for Von Miller.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Rumour in Denver that the Broncos are talking to the Packers about a trade for Von Miller.

Surely dead cap is an issue with this one again.

What would you accept for him? Both their two firsts this year and a second/third?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Where are you seeing that?

The Packers don't even have a head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Masked Man wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that?

The Packers don't even have a head coach.

Talking's all they can do until March anyway I believe.

But as I said a few days back, it's probably journalists of non-play off teams filling their column requirements with any sort of news they hear, no matter how realistic it is or isn't.

ah yes, time to pay for an older less effective Mack, brilliant

ah yes, time to pay for an older less effective Mack, brilliant

Yea - right :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mack is amazing and adds more of an intensity or initimidation type factor on the edge imo, but I prefer Miller as a an overall player - he might just be the best defensive player of the decade after JJ Watt and Aaron Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

It'd be great to see him at GB. But I'd imagine he'd need a $20m+ a year contract, nevermind the draft picks to Denver. Pricey.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Blut2 wrote: »
    It'd be great to see him at GB. But I'd imagine he'd need a $20m+ a year contract, nevermind the draft picks to Denver. Pricey.

I think it would be around $17m per year if he got traded. I'm sure that wouldn't prevent a deal the way the salary cap is going.

Probably cost a first round pick though and I'm not sure its where most help is needed in Green Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Cleveland media reporting Josh McDaniels is the Browns Number 1 choice as Head Cosch & that he’s expressed his interest in taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭cosatron

Over on the packers forum, is that it's only of time before McDaniels is signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

cosatron wrote: »
    Over on the packers forum, is that it's only of time before McDaniels is signed.

It’s saying I can’t post with a URL Cos I’m a new user. Type Josh McDaniels Browns into twitter if you have access & you’ll see the stories.

Also, I’m reading too about the Packers & McDaniels there aswell. Looks like it’s a shoot our.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,100 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Billy86 wrote:
    Mack is amazing and adds more of an intensity or initimidation type factor on the edge imo, but I prefer Miller as a an overall player - he might just be the best defensive player of the decade after JJ Watt and Aaron Donald.
    Luke Kuechly is the most consistent high level defender in the league for the last seven years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭cosatron

eagle eye wrote: »
    Luke Kuechly is the most consistent high level defender in the league for the last seven years.

And Donald aswell.

Blut2 wrote: »

Miller is under contract for the next 3 years - at $22 million a year.

Cleveland media reporting Josh McDaniels is the Browns Number 1 choice as Head Cosch & that he’s expressed his interest in taking it.

And here was me looking forward to seeing the Browns challenging for the AFC again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And here was me looking forward to seeing the Browns challenging for the AFC again :D

Yup same.

Well that's one way to ruin me rooting for them!

Same with Green Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,792 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The 15 modern finalist for the 2019 HOF were announced last night. These names will be reduced to 5 modern finalists the day before the super bowl. The list is as follows and includes the two contributors finalists and senior finalist. But it's a max of five from the modern names. The modern finalists must get 80% to be elected to the HOF. Some big names there and a couple of slam dunks.

Tony Gonzalez, TE -- 1997-2008 Kansas City Chiefs, 2009-2013 Atlanta Falcons

Isaac Bruce, WR -- 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers

Edgerrin James, RB -- 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks

Ed Reed, FS -- 2002-2012 Baltimore Ravens, 2013 New York Jets, 2013 Houston Texans

Steve Atwater, S -- 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets

Champ Bailey, CB -- 1999-2003 Washington Redskins, 2004-2013 Denver Broncos

Ty Law, CB --1995-2004 New England Patriots, 2005, 2008 New York Jets, 2006-07 Kansas City Chiefs, 2009 Denver Broncos

John Lynch, FS -- 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos

Tony Boselli, T -- 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars, 2002 Houston Texans (injured reserve)

Steve Hutchinson, G --2001-05 Seattle Seahawks, 2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings, 2012 Tennessee Titans

Alan Faneca, G -- 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals

Kevin Mawae, C/G -- 1994-97 Seattle Seahawks, 1998-2005 New York Jets, 2006-09 Tennessee Titans

Richard Seymour, DE/DT -- 2001-08 New England Patriots, 2009-2012 Oakland Raiders

Don Coryell, Coach -- 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers

Tom Flores, Coach -- 1979-1987 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-94 Seattle Seahawks

The list of finalists includes the recommended nominees of the Hall of Fame's Contributors and Seniors Committees. The 2019 contributor finalists are Pat Bowlen (Owner -- 1984-Present Denver Broncos) and Gil Brandt (Vice President of Player Personnel -- 1960-1988 Dallas Cowboys; Contributor -- 1995-present at NFL.com). The senior finalist is Johnny Robinson (Safety -- 1960-1971 Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs).

Ed reed and gonzalez would be my modern ones anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Gonzalez is a total shoo in, Reed as well. Really shocked to see Coryell isn't in already, that's ridiculous given his influence on the way the game is played on offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,100 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well Ed Reed is no.1 on that list for me. Gonzalez probably certain too. There are soany great candidates there, Hutchinson, Seymour, Champ Bailey, Bruce, Atwater and Edgerrin James all deserve it but I think I'd have Alan Faneca as my no.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,792 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Gonzalez is a total shoo in, Reed as well. Really shocked to see Coryell isn't in already, that's ridiculous given his influence on the way the game is played on offense.

I agree RDS that Coryell should be in, but i've seen that stupid argument that he never coached in a super bowl as a knock on him. I mean if the not playing in/or winning a super bowl was a hard and fast rule to the PFHOF then Marino, Kelly and many others wouldn't be there. It's such a stupid metric to use IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

All-Pro teams announced.
    FIRST TEAM

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs

Running Back: Todd Gurley, Los Angeles Rams

Flex: Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs

Tight End: Travis Kelce, Kansas City Chiefs

Wide Receivers: Michael Thomas, New Orleans Saints; DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans

Left Tackle: David Bakhtiari, Green Bay Packers

Right Tackle: Mitchell Schwartz, Kansas City Chiefs

Left Guard: Quenton Nelson, Indianapolis Colts

Right Guard: Zack Martin, Dallas Cowboys

Center: Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles

DEFENCE

Edge Rushers: J.J. Watt, Houston Texans; Khalil Mack, Chicago Bears

Interior Linemen: Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams; Fletcher Cox, Philadelphia Eagles

Linebackers: Luke Kuechly, Carolina Panthers; Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks; Darius Leonard, Indianapolis Colts

Cornerbacks: Kyle Fuller, Chicago Bears; Stephon Gilmore, New England Patriots

Safeties: Eddie Jackson, Chicago Bears; Derwin James, Los Angeles Chargers

Defensive Back: Desmond King, Los Angeles Chargers

SPECIAL TEAMS

Placekicker: Justin Tucker, Baltimore Ravens

Punter: Michael Dickson, Seattle Seahawks

Kick Returner: Andre Roberts, New York Jets

Punt Returner: Tarik Cohen, Chicago Bears

Special Teamer: Adrian Phillips, Los Angeles Chargers
    SECOND TEAM

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

Running Back: Ezekiel Elliott, Dallas Cowboys

Flex: Christian McCaffrey, Carolina Panthers

Tight End: George Kittle, San Francisco 49ers

Wide Receivers: Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons; Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs

Left Tackle: Duane Brown, Seattle Seahawks; Terron Armstead, New Orleans Saints

Right Tackle: Ryan Ramczyk, New Orleans Saints

Left Guard: Joel Bitonio, Cleveland Browns

Right Guard: Marshal Yanda, Baltimore Ravens

Center: Maurkice Pouncey, Pittsburgh Steelers

DEFENSE

Edge Rushers: Von Miller, Denver Broncos; Cameron Jordan, New Orleans Saints; Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns; Danielle Hunter, Minnesota Vikings
    Interior Linemen: Chris Jones, Kansas City Chiefs; J.J. Watt, Houston Texans

Linebackers: Von Miller, Denver Broncos; C.J. Mosley, Baltimore Ravens; Leighton Vander Esch, Dallas Cowboys

Cornerbacks: Byron Jones, Dallas Cowboys; Xavien Howard, Miami Dolphins

Safeties: Jamal Adams, New York Jets; Harrison Smith, Minnesota Vikings

Defensive Back: Derwin James, Los Angeles Chargers

SPECIAL TEAMS

Placekicker: Aldrick Rosas, New York Giants

Punter: Johnny Hekker, Los Angeles Rams

Kick Returner: Cordarrelle Patterson, New England Patriots

Punt Returner: Desmond King, Los Angeles Chargers

Special Teamer: Cory Littleton, Los Angeles Rams

Advertisement