Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I actually think it is a good situation for an oncoming HC - Kubiak is one of the few people that Elway will listen to - having Kubiak in your corner could be a big help to a new HC.

Looks like the HC job is coming down to Fangio and Munchak - personally I would prefer Munchak (the guy was decent in Tennessee) and from what I hear Fangio is a bit of a bully (and he said he has done no preparation for his interviews).

He didn't really get a fair shake in Tenn. However I think with another gig or 2 he'd be welcomes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,100 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Are we not talking about the Broncos HC vacancy - and you suggested that having Kubiak ruled out the better offensive minded coaches for the job - I asked who ?
    It isn't that hard a question

Surely you know the better offensive minded coached in the league yourself. Can you not just accept his point and move on?

I'll predict that if Arians goes to Tampa that he gets Nick Foles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Eagle keep him, he in need after Wentz hurt himself next seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Eagle keep him, he in need after Wentz hurt himself next seasons.

He's out of contract. They'd have to franchise him or work a deal, and he'll get paid solidly on the open market.

Can't see Eagles shelling starter money out for him with Wentz there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

I wonder was Jeff Fisher reason he bad when outside of Eagles? I like him hope he do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

What a finish yesterday/this morning.

I'm a zombie in work but don't regret staying up for it!
    Do feel a bit bad for Parkey but at the same time would love to see Foles and the Eagles go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Knex. wrote: »
    He's out of contract. They'd have to franchise him or work a deal, and he'll get paid solidly on the open market.

Can't see Eagles shelling starter money out for him with Wentz there.

Wentz is on a rookie deal though so only takes up $7m hit. So they could probably afford to give Foles a deal if they (and St Nick) want

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

All good Bakers need a kitchen ;)

Would love to be a fly on the wall in a room where Gregg Williams is if Kitchens gets it over him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Would love to be a fly on the wall in a room where Gregg Williams is if Kitchens gets it over him

He’ll just go take one of the other jobs he’s been offered.

He’ll just go take one of the other jobs he’s been offered.

He deserves a gig in fairness. They were 2-33-1 (I think) when he took over, he steadied the ship got them playing well & built a togetherness there. I’m a Browns fan myself & was skeptical about Williams at first but I’ve seriousky warmed to him now.

The appointment is absolutely massive for the Browns now though & that’s why I think it won’t be either of them. If they had a couple play off wins last 5-7 years they could take a chance but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ravens will obviously be dealing Flacco (or cutting him) this offseason.

Where do you lads think he might end up?

Paully D wrote: »

He definitely won’t be cut in my opinion, with Jackson on a rookie deal they can afford keep him. They’ll only trade if he asks for it, they’ll do it out of loyalty to him.

Where he ends up is a tricky one, most QB needy teams are drafting in the top 10. I think wherever he goes he’ll have to be prepared to be No2.

If Jimmy G isn’t fit for the start of the season then the 9ers could make a play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Paully D wrote: »

For some reason I close my eyes and see him with the Giants. Eli in turn to Jaguars.

Probably won't happen and depends what the draft plan is but I don't know why I see it as a good fit.

He definitely won’t be cut in my opinion, with Jackson on a rookie deal they can afford keep him. They’ll only trade if he asks for it, they’ll do it out of loyalty to him.

Where he ends up is a tricky one, most QB needy teams are drafting in the top 10. I think wherever he goes he’ll have to be prepared to be No2.

If Jimmy G isn’t fit for the start of the season then the 9ers could make a play.

Can’t see any team trading for Flacco with his $18.5m due next year and $20m the following year, unless it is in a borderline Osweiller to the Browns type deal. Ravens could keep him as I think it is only a small enough saving with dead cap but after yesterday they will likely cut him to avoid a repeat of the fan/media drama we saw.

Not a chance the 49ers would pick Flacco up, forget about trading for him. I’d argue that Mullens performed better than Flacco this year and he was an UDFA who was elevated from the practice squad where he was playing safety on the scout team.

He’ll get cut and picked up by some team that wants to hold things over until next year to pick up a rookie QB and then slowly move into a #2 role. Think he’ll do that job well.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    For some reason I close my eyes and see him with the Giants. Eli in turn to Jaguars.

Probably won't happen and depends what the draft plan is but I don't know why I see it as a good fit.

Think it is reasonably likely and probably the worst-case scenario for the Giants fans.

He is a definite upgrade on Eli and with that offense they’d win enough games to move them out of contention for the top QBs next year. They will end up either giving away a ton of picks to move up or gamble in taking one of the lower ranked QBs with more holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He is not a definite upgrade on Eli. He is at best, the same.

There is a 0.0001% chance of the Giants even thinking about picking up Flacco. Perhaps being a bit harsh here, but the notion is absurd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yeah, he and Eli -can- make a team a winner, but are liable to do some awful things from time to time. Jacksonville might not be a bad option if getting rid of Bortles doesn't leave them on the hook too much... they should still have the defense next year to just need a semblance of an offense to make a playoff push (this year they were 2nd worst for points, 6th worst for yards and 7th worst for passing yards, while only rookies Josh Allen, Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen had a worse rating than Bortles for those with 2,000+ yards).

Knex. wrote: »
    He is not a definite upgrade on Eli. He is at best, the same.

There is a 0.0001% chance of the Giants even thinking about picking up Flacco. Perhaps being a bit harsh here, but the notion is absurd.

Due to some poor fantasy decisions I had the unfortunate experience of watching both more than I wished this season and I’ll have to disagree on your assessment of them. I’m not saying Flacco is fantastic, but Eli was incredibly poor even with an amazing array of weapons. Weren’t you one of the ones shouting for Flacco to come in yesterday? I don’t see a world where Flacco is seen as a better option than Jackson (albeit playing poorly) and not a better option than Eli.

I also think the chance you’re giving is more out of hope than reality. I should have clarified that me saying there was a reasonable chance was based on them moving on from Eli (which I think they need to do). There is a poor crop of QBs hitting FA this year and again in the draft. I don’t see them moving up to draft Haskins (if he even comes out). Teams will either overpay Taylor/Bridgewater or pick someone likely a bit cheaper like Flacco.

• Advertisement

Zero chance of Eli ending up in Jacksonville. Marrone is in the last chance saloon I’m sure he’d have walked from Bortles if not last year then definitely this year, he’s got his wish now & he needs to massive season next year. Eli won’t five him that.

I see Foles in Jacksonville, I can see them swapping first rounders with the Eagles, Jags have the 7th pick. That should be enough, won’t have to include any other pics I wouldn’t think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Zero chance of Eli ending up in Jacksonville. Marrone is in the last chance saloon I’m sure he’d have walked from Bortles if not last year then definitely this year, he’s got his wish now & he needs to massive season next year. Eli won’t five him that.

I see Foles in Jacksonville, I can see them swapping first rounders with the Eagles, Jags have the 7th pick. That should be enough, won’t have to include any other pics I wouldn’t think.
    I was thinking flacco and not eli, but foles is a good shout too. Surely someone will give a decent amount for him, esp with another good playoff showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Flacco still carries 16 million dead money with 10.5 million cap saving if cut this offseason. It’s not insignificant :/ Sure we spend years of pain carrying the Ray Rice dead money!

If cut after 2020 it’s the other way around with 20.25 million saved and 8 million dead money which is fine I guess.
    2021 has zero guaranteed money

I for one don’t want 16 million in dead money in 2019. If they can’t trade him hell just keep him. He’d may well retire. I know I know a backup on 26.5 million is ridiculous but 16 million for nothing is also

The 16 million can be split into 8 million 2019 and 8 million 2020 with a post June 1 cut but that’s not solving much either

Can't see the Jags giving up that sort of draft capital for Foles, who in that situation would be due at least $20m in 2019 (which they'll be unlikely able to afford anyway).

If anything the Marrone might trade picks/players to move up in the draft gamble that the QB works out. That would give him some leverage moving forward, showing that they had a new 'franchise QB'.

Dwayne Haskins just declared for the draft. If he performs well in the run up and stands out as the clear QB1 it could make things interesting at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Giants, Buccs and Jags the QB needy teams in the top 7. Be interesting to see who's going to trade up first. Could see the Raiders and 9ers trading down, and possibly the Jets. Think the cards will hold on to the #1 spot unless they get a ridiculous offer.

Giants, Buccs and Jags the QB needy teams in the top 7. Be interesting to see who's going to trade up first. Could see the Raiders and 9ers trading down, and possibly the Jets. Think the cards will hold on to the #1 spot unless they get a ridiculous offer.
    Cards need to fix their offensive line first I think. No chance for the QB or their RB to perform at a good level unless the sort the OL and there was some nobody you would want to take right at the top of the draft for that need. If they get a good deal from a team in the top 7 I think they'll take it and snap up Jonah Williams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Cards could drop five spots pick up a first and pick two first class oline men

• Advertisement

If this is true I'm not sure what they've seen in him. Titans offense wasn't up to much at all last year and he hasn't really done much before. High potential for this to fall into the category I mention a while ago of teams overly reaching for a young OC to copy those that have been successful with them

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1082411956387147777

Advertisement