Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Teddy B was traded by the Jets last night to the Saints.

The Jets were on the team bus at the time, which stopped, let Teddy off and drove away. The most Jets thing ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

paulie21 wrote: »
    Teddy traded to the Saints for a 3rd rounder. He was on the Jets team bus leaving for Philadelphia when it had to be stopped to let him off
    Loughc wrote: »

The Jets were on the team bus at the time, which stopped, let Teddy off and drove away. The most Jets thing ever.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!!:rolleyes:
    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1034887876922822656

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Greg Senat is rookie offensive tackle taken in the 6th round by Baltimore

The Ravens announced he would be a long term injury but it wasn’t decided yet if he would go on IR. Another player is hurt also and our 4th round WR went to IR earlier this week, noting strange. All teams deal with this

Senat posted a photo of his foot in a walking boot on twitter and John Harbaugh going mad over it

“He’ll be disciplined for that. So I’ll make sure that we take care of that” “Obviously he doesn’t know any better”

What did he do that was so bad? If he was out in a shopping mall anyone could take a photo of him in his walking boot. And I’m certain vets do this sort of thing

I don’t get what the issue is :confused:

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Greg Senat is rookie offensive tackle taken in the 6th round by Baltimore

The Ravens announced he would be a long term injury but it wasn’t decided yet if he would go on IR. Another player is hurt also and our 4th round WR went to IR earlier this week, noting strange. All teams deal with this

Senat posted a photo of his foot in a walking boot on twitter and John Harbaugh going mad over it

“He’ll be disciplined for that. So I’ll make sure that we take care of that” “Obviously he doesn’t know any better”

What did he do that was so bad? If he was out in a shopping mall anyone could take a photo of him in his walking boot. And I’m certain vets do this sort of thing

I don’t get what the issue is :confused:

Similar issue withe the Jets this off-season. Terrelle Pryor had told media that he'd had surgery on his ankle, but sure he'd been seen walking aorund in a boot numerous times so it had been fairly easy to put 1 and 1 together! Bowles went mad over it, probably the most animated I've seen him get about anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

NFL teams seem to be looking to go down the NHL ‘upper body/lower body’ injury reporting route, giving out as little info as possible.

But as you say, if he’s down the shops, anyone can see him in a walking boot or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

NFL teams seem to be looking to go down the NHL ‘upper body/lower body’ injury reporting route, giving out as little info as possible.

But as you say, if he’s down the shops, anyone can see him in a walking boot or whatever.
    But what difference does it make to the team if people know what the injury is? If you're not playing you're not playing?

But what difference does it make to the team if people know what the injury is? If you're not playing you're not playing?

I think the thinking is that by revealing what the exact injury is, you’re open to getting targeted there by the opposition. Now on an obvious injury where you’re wearing a boot or whatever that won’t matter but on other, less obvious injuries it might make a difference.

I hadn’t heard about any of this till I read the posts earlier but maybe teams are just putting a blanket ban on players talking about injuries so that they can control what does/doesn’t get reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/rosstuckernfl/status/1034970742578917376?s=21

Hue being contradictory, surely not? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

phatkev wrote: »
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!!:rolleyes:
    Hey, only us Pats fans are allowed to be sensitive when others take a shot :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Loughc wrote: »

Interesting tidbit from the trade...this trade now frees up the Saints current backup QB Taysom Hill to play more special teams...as a coverage guy. He had 4 special teams' tackles last season.

Its not often you see a guy with a single digit number out there trying to block punts:

23850841-standard.jpg

• Advertisement

Last preseason game tonight means near 1,000 players will be released in the next couple of days, many of who will never see another snap again.

Must be an emotional time for many.

For those guys on the bubble or who all but know they are going to be cut, it has to be rough.

Paully D wrote: »
    Last preseason game tonight means near 1,000 players will be released in the next couple of days, many of who will never see another snap again.

Must be an emotional time for many.

For those guys on the bubble or who all but know they are going to be cut, it has to be rough.

Yeah, very rough.

It is quite evil liking it but the episode of Hard Knocks each year when they make the cuts is always the most interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Yeah, very rough.

It is quite evil liking it but the episode of Hard Knocks each year when they make the cuts is always the most interesting.

This is how it should be done.

Seems ridiclous to say, but Donald is worth every penny of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yup. With Watt's injuries taken into account it's probably fair to say he's the single most valuable non QB in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Mack is on his way to Chicago apparently.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Mack is on his way to Chicago apparently.

2 first rounders. Mack better live up to his potential!

2 first rounders. Mack better live up to his potential!

Contact must be enormous too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Dan Bailey released by the Cowboys. One of the best in the league over recent seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Raiders released Martavis Bryant, who they traded a 3rd round pick for in April. He's facing another suspension.

What a terrible day for Oakland fans.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Raiders released Martavis Bryant, who they traded a 3rd round pick for in April. He's facing another suspension.

What a terrible day for Oakland fans.

Not all bad, they traded for AJ McCarron......!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Jerick mcKinnon is likely headed for IR after going down with a non contact Knee injury in the last play of practice after being held out of preseason due to a calf strain.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000957617/article/niners-nervous-after-jerick-mckinnon-injures-knee

Aaron Donald, now the second highest defensive player in the NFL

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1036011135483486211

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The **** is gruden doing

• Advertisement

Not all bad, they traded for AJ McCarron......!!!!

All aboard the Josh Allen train....CHOO CHOO

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Dan Bailey released by the Cowboys. One of the best in the league over recent seasons.

I dont think the Jets currently have a kicker on the roster, could be a decent pickup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I see Martavis Bryant was cut also. Busy day for Oakland.

JaMarcus wrote: »
    I see Martavis Bryant was cut also. Busy day for Oakland.

didnt they only recently give up a mid round pick for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

phatkev wrote: »
    didnt they only recently give up a mid round pick for him?

Yup, 3rd round pick, never played a snap for them. Apparently he's about to be suspended for a drug offence yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

I along with every cowboys fan I know is stunned and does not understand the move at all.

Dans numbers have been dropping but he’s Dan bailey. Second most accurate kicker in nfl history. It’s not about money we’d 14m in cap space already.there was no indication there was a contest going on.maher was considered a camp leg and even did some punting during camp so there were no flags to indicate this was ever happening.

Raiders giving a coach stuck in 1924 the keys to the franchise and paying him a fortune, yet wouldn’t pay one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

I said it months ago but the last few weeks have only strengthened my own thoughts - I don’t see how the Gruden experiment will end up being anything other than a nuclear disaster.

Terrible free agency period, terrible draft, they’ve gotten older and slower everywhere on the field and they’ve now lost their best player.

As far as I can see he's clearing out trouble. They're not dead in the water yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

In fairness to Gruden the Raiders D has never been top 20 with Mack I believe. If they gave him that contract they'd have two players earning 20+ million a year. Mack is also 27.
    Mack is an amazing player but the narrative being put out is maybe a bit unfair on Gruden.

In fairness to Gruden the Raiders D has never been top 20 with Mack I believe. If they gave him that contract they'd have two players earning 20+ million a year. Mack is also 27.
    Mack is an amazing player but the narrative being put out is maybe a bit unfair on Gruden.

The fact the coach didn't make contact with the defensive leader says enough

The fact the coach didn't make contact with the defensive leader says enough

The coach doesn't decide that he gets paid so what's the point?

Was he going to come back for less money after an arm around the shoulder from Gruden? :D

Was he going to come back for less money after an arm around the shoulder from Gruden? :D

A check in as in hey looking forward to working with you hope you can work out a deal.

Something plenty of players give hometown discounts. Ignoring him only helped the bears

A check in as in hey looking forward to working with you hope you can work out a deal.

Something plenty of players give hometown discounts. Ignoring him only helped the bears

The Bears having the available money and being willing to pay up has helped the Bears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Bears get: Khalil Mack, a 2020 second-round round pick and a conditional 2020 fifth-round pick.

Raiders get: 2019 first-round pick, 2020 first-round pick, 2020 third-round pick, 2019 sixth-round pick.

Within the Raiders Gruden has 100% control - McKenzie has to go to Gruden to get the okay on any contract.

• Advertisement

Within the Raiders Gruden has 100% control - McKenzie has to go to Gruden to get the okay on any contract.

Even so, if he didn't think the player was worth what he was holding out for the what's the point? 99.99% of NFL players are mercenaries (don't blame them) so you can show him all the love but the agent is still going to want what they want.

The Raiders not having the money is a myth.

McKenzie was ready to sign Mack to an extension. He said it last season that he wanted to get it done this off-season. Everyone knew it would be a market-setter.

Everything changed when Gruden joined and took control. He f*cked their cap signing veterans going downhill before a deal was done with their own, potential HOFer, defensive leader and never even bothered touching base with him over the past few months.

Even after all that the Raiders could have signed him if they really wanted to. The NFL cap is very flexible.

Gruden will destroy that team unless he somehow learned to draft talent during his gap-decade. If it was BB in NE that made this call I'd have a little faith, but what has Gruden ever done to prove he he can turn 2 picks and $20m cap into something useful?

Oat23 wrote: »
    Gruden will destroy that team unless he somehow learned to draft talent during his gap-decade. If it was BB in NE that made this call I'd have a little faith, but what has Gruden ever done to prove he he can turn 2 picks and $20m cap into something useful?

The end result of the trade - given that the Raiders are likely to be significantly worse and the Bears a lot better - is that the Raiders will probably get a pick somewhere in the 15-20 range (20-25 if the Bears make the play-offs) in 2019 and will move up maybe 10-15 places from the 2nd into the 1st in 2020 (with the Bears getting the 2nd rounder).

Not a massive return for one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There's a lot more than Khalil Mack that the Bears will need to be a playoff team in that division, to be honest. They'll be an interesting team to track this year, but I reckon they're still some way off.

Billy86 wrote: »
    There's a lot more than Khalil Mack that the Bears will need to be a playoff team in that division, to be honest. They'll be an interesting team to track this year, but I reckon they're still some way off.
    Sure we'll see Sunday.

Billy86 wrote: »

It all depends on whether the QB is up to scratch which nobody knows yet. He could be great or he could be Rex Grossman but regardless they're all basically expecting the Lombardi to be handed over already.

but regardless they're all basically expecting the Lombardi to be handed over already.
    What utter ****e talk.

It all depends on whether the QB is up to scratch which nobody knows yet. He could be great or he could be Rex Grossman but regardless they're all basically expecting the Lombardi to be handed over already.

Show me anyone who seriously thinks that.

People shouting SUPERBOWL and posting superfan GIFs on twitter don't count. That's obviously a joke.

Half the league is a strong market to end up with not all that much.

https://twitter.com/GehlkenNFL/status/1036065916277018624

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Half the league is a strong market to end up with not all that much.

https://twitter.com/GehlkenNFL/status/1036065916277018624

It would be malpractice to be a GM and not to at least contact the Raiders to see what they were looking for. Doesn't mean all the teams had the necessary cap space or willing to give up the picks.

Advertisement