Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just seen this pop up on my twitter. Apparently Smith was suspended 4 games last season for 'threatening and emotionally abusive behaviors'

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1032025013065379840

They might not have the required proof to issue a suspension over the child abuse allegations, but they have Hill on tape saying "You need to be terrified of me too, b*tch" to his girlfriend. How the hell is that not threatening behaviour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did I read it or imagine it but did his girlfriend refuse to speak to investigators ? The NFL can't seem to get consistency in anything it seems. They have all these rules both on the field and off that players have to follow, but it seems when it comes to the application of these rules they have all the consistency of someone who has diarrhoea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The NFL can't seem to get consistency in anything it seems.
    I've given up on trying to understand their methods, their disciplinary process is such a mess at times. Because Goodell applies the personal conduct policy as he sees fit with his own discretion, there's too much leeway depending on which side of the bed he gets out of. Which is why he suspension Rice for two games, and then which the video evidence is released for all to see, he's suspended indefinitely.
    Something tells me that we'll be revisiting Hill at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

The latest OBJ comments are no doubt gonna stir things up among Giants fans such as myself.

I get he feels disrespected (if everything hes saying is true) but I think he and the Browns (Mayfield also making comments recently) would be much better served keeping their heads down and playing football.

The opinion was that OBJ was seen as a distraction (an opinion I'm not certain I agree with) and if he keeps this up it has to be somewhat distracting to his current team that he keeps talking about his former one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Love him as a player, but hard to deny that he's a bit of a dope at times.

Still, the talent and work ethic he has is insane.

Knex. wrote: »
    Love him as a player, but hard to deny that he's a bit of a dope at times.

Still, the talent and work ethic he has is insane.

Yeah he'd genuinely serve himself better just not coming out with some of the stuff though or he'll end up with just the complete diva tag like AB has now.

Wish more star receivers or running backs could be like Jones and Hopkins, don't say much or demand attention then just absolutely ball out on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yeah he'd genuinely serve himself better just not coming out with some of the stuff though or he'll end up with just the complete diva tag like AB has now.

Wish more star receivers or running backs could be like Jones and Hopkins, don't say much or demand attention then just absolutely ball out on the field.

Easy to say that when neither have been treated like OBJ was.

Jones has complained plenty about his contract and has had the luxury of a boarderline top tier QB and some great offensive coaching, at times.

I agree that Hopkins is very quiet in the media but at the same time is probably one of the most underrated players when it comes to casual fans as a result, which I'm sure hits his earnings.

OBJ gets under certain people's skin, especially certain Giants fans and media, to the point where he could now refuse to answer questions about the Giants and they'd still rant about it.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Easy to say that when neither have been treated like OBJ was.

Jones has complained plenty about his contract and has had the luxury of a boarderline top tier QB and some great offensive coaching, at times.

I agree that Hopkins is very quiet in the media but at the same time is probably one of the most underrated players when it comes to casual fans as a result, which I'm sure hits his earnings.

OBJ gets under certain people's skin, especially certain Giants fans and media, to the point where he could now refuse to answer questions about the Giants and they'd still rant about it.

Oh yeah let alone treatment, neither have had the media worldwide or NY media to deal with like OBJ. But the point about not answering questions, he'd be far better off not answering them, giants fans might get pissed but would serve him better in Cleveland and hopefully won't draw even more attention to him and the Browns.

As a Giant's fan the only thing that ever got under my skin was the Lil Wayne interview, just such a stupid move to make mid season especially, the boat party was another one but if he had a brilliant game against GB it wouldn't have got the attention it did, was just something for people to point fingers at after a big disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

I doubt the diva tag will hurt his earnings. However I am surprised he didn't simply thank the Giants for his trade. His numbers would not have gotten better with either a qb not throwing beyond the line of scrimmage or a very mediocre rookie qb next season.

I guess he might have gotten some good qb throws our of it. His pass to Saquon was pretty sweet. I guess he loses out on the NY on the advertising market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

NFL Network with some groundbreaking journalism here

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1154079339371122688

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans LT Taylor Lewan is getting a 4 game ban for PEDs

The usual of it was in a supplement and i didnt know etc etc

Idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Titans LT Taylor Lewan is getting a 4 game ban for PEDs

The usual of it was in a supplement and i didnt know etc etc

Idiot.

He said it before the league which was odd though

According to Jane slater of NFL network zeke Elliot was not on the plane with the cowboys to California to start training camp. It should be noted that in the past players have joined up with the team in California so zeke has until tomorrow morning California time to show up. If he doesn't then that'll be two RB who will be holding out( the other is Melvin Gordon for the LA chargers) but honestly he's two years left on his contract and he's not been a model member of the league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

What are cowboys fans thoughts on this? Haven’t been keep up to date with the NFL last month or so been too busy but I assume one of Dak & Zeke is gonna get paid? Which one is the question. Garrett only has 1 year left on his deal too I believe, wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 were elsewhere on 12 months but my gut feeling is Dak will get 75%-80% of what he’s looking for & will stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Eli on OBJ's comments that he was reason why Giants were in prime time often: "I don't think they bothered me. You just kind of shake your head and laugh. ... I won a few games before he was here."

Oh snap.

Looks like Zeke is holding out in Dallas as according to Jane Slater he was not present at the morning conditioning tests. I mean taking the fact I'm an Eagles fan out of it, as I said he's at least behind Dak and Amari Cooper timewise to get a deal(which I'm sure he will get), and unlike Dak and Amari Cooper he's had some extra curricular activities that have got him in front of the principal more than once, so maybe the Cowboys are waiting to see if that stops.

• Advertisement

We will find out on hard knocks but I don't know but it's just typical raiders.

Anybody know what’s is the story with Hill? Will he escape a suspension?

It seems to have died down, you’d imagine if he was getting a suspension he would have received it by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It seems to have died down, you’d imagine if he was getting a suspension he would have received it by now

It's already been announced there'll be no suspension.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001036260/article/nfl-will-not-suspend-chiefs-receiver-tyreek-hill

Ah ok I missed that thanks. Lucky boy.

He won’t be suspended at the moment, but the league did say if new information comes to light they reserve the right to reopen the issue.

We will find out on hard knocks but I don't know but it's just typical raiders.

He arrived at training camp in a hot air balloon. Hard Knocks is going to be bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

I see the Lions signed the recently released Mike Daniels last night.
    That is one scary front with Snacks, A'Shawn Robinson, Flowers & now Daniels.

Can't wait to see teams try to run through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Lionbacker wrote: »
    I see the Lions signed the recently released Daniel Jones last night.
    That is one scary front with Snacks, A'Shawn Robinson, Flowers & now Jones.

Do you mean Mike Daniels?

But yeah the Lions opponents should face a lot of third and longs.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Do you mean Mike Daniels?

But yeah the Lions opponents should face a lot of third and longs.
    Yeah sorry, fixed my that mistake there.
    Don't think Daniel Jones would be of much use to us!

Released Riddick to make room for Daniels. Great receiving back but not as necessary with Kerryon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Talks so not 100% Tate got busted for ped so facing a few game suspension, Giants season continues to get worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Lionbacker wrote: »
    I see the Lions signed the recently released Mike Daniels last night.
    That is one scary front with Snacks, A'Shawn Robinson, Flowers & now Daniels.

That's all well and good but 2 of the 3 teams in the division are in the top 5 pass attempts in the league last year.

*Pass play percentage, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Hococop wrote: »
    Talks so not 100% Tate got busted for ped so facing a few game suspension, Giants season continues to get worse

Tate released a statement suggesting it was related to fertility treatment, he stopped taking the meds and notified the league before a positive test was returned. Not clear did he alert the league before or after the test was given though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Career has been ruined by knee injury in a stupid pre-season game. He had so much potential.

https://twitter.com/HerbieTeope/status/1155852542611533824

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Oat23 wrote: »
    Career has been ruined by knee injury in a stupid pre-season game. He had so much potential.

https://twitter.com/HerbieTeope/status/1155852542611533824

As mentioned in the twitter comments NYG will surely give him a go. Pity how his career turned out since shining in a poor Bears team.

So a saints fan is going to get commissioner goodell under oath because he is suing the league for what happened during the NFC championship game last season. He's asking for $75,000 which he plans to donate to the Steve Gleason foundation which is a great cause in fairness, BUT why was this case allowed to get to the stage of getting league officials under oath to answer to what exactly ? The refs made a bad call and I don't think there was one of us here at the time said it was a good call, but FFS you'd swear the saints were the only team that got shafted last year by a horrible call. Did a packer fan sue the league after the fail Mary with the replacement refs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

So a saints fan is going to get commissioner goodell under oath because he is suing the league for what happened during the NFC championship game last season. He's asking for $75,000 which he plans to donate to the Steve Gleason foundation which is a great cause in fairness, BUT why was this case allowed to get to the stage of getting league officials under oath to answer to what exactly ? The refs made a bad call and I don't think there was one of us here at the time said it was a good call, but FFS you'd swear the saints were the only team that got shafted last year by a horrible call. Did a packer fan sue the league after the fail Mary with the replacement refs ?

He seems to have played the legal system, keeping the amount low kept it out of a federal court which through out other lawsuits (how many were there)?

But yeah we notice these blown calls at the end of a game but what about in the middle or the start. I am sure plenty of them have also thrown results.

I don't think it is an nfl problem either. Few sports seem to have refs able to keep up with the game and it is a position not allowed to make mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

America truly is the home of frivolous lawsuits. The calls were bad sure, but suing the officials or the league is absurd.

Unless he is claiming that the game was deliberately rigged then I don’t see the point of this lawsuit or what he hopes to gain from it. Mistakes like this happen all the time in sports. It’s gutting when it costs your team but you just get on with it. They’ve changed the rules to make future incidents reviewable. I really cannot imagine how much more justice anybody could hope for.

It’s worth noting in this instance that a face mask offence on jared goff was also missed by the officials minutes before. This arguably could also have changed the outcome to the same extent had it been called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I agree that mistakes happen but there was far too much that happened on that play for something not to be called.
    And as for the conspiracy theories, well when you have somebody as corrupt as Goodell at the top it's not surprising that people will look at these things with suspicion.
    I mean they've been trying to crack the LA market for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

The NFL are trying to build the rams up and turn them into some sort of super team but there not even that popular in LA ,come October all the talk will be on the Lakers and clippers.The Dodgers are also a more popular team.The rams should have stayed in st Louis imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Massive contact and well deserved but didn't Megatron and Adrian Peterson both sign 100m+ contracts before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

Saints aren't messing around, doing everything they can to win the Super Bowl this year. With TE Jared Cook coming over from the Raiders, is there a team in the NFL with a better QB, RB, WR, TE combo than the Saints have right now? Scary amount of talent in that offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

And the OL is not shabby either.

I would worry Brees regressing, though.

Saints are great on paper, as pointed out above though Brees did not look like an elite QB towards the end of the season. Perhaps it was an injury of some sort, if it’s simply regression due to age then that’s a big worry for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Saints are great on paper, as pointed out above though Brees did not look like an elite QB towards the end of the season. Perhaps it was an injury of some sort, if it’s simply regression due to age then that’s a big worry for them.

Brees' arm has to be feeling all the yards put up on it plus the surgery though forever ago will play a factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brees had the best QB rating last season and second best in the postseason. He only threw 5 ints, only Rodgers with 2 was better.
    There has been no regression to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Brees seemed to regress in the latter part of 2018.

First 10 games of the season, 8.9 yds/attempt
    Last 5 games of the regular season, 6.6 yds/attempt

Playoffs, 7.1 yds/attempt

Maybe it was just one of those things that mean nothing. But he was noticeably worse last year as the season progressed.

• Advertisement

He was not the same QB in Nov-Dec, he looked really uncomfortable at times particularly on deep throws and iirc virtually all his stats dropped off vs earlier in the season when he was excellent.

Advertisement