Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Andrew Luck apparently has told Colts he is retiring... no one saw that coming

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1165435636893016064

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

It's legit, NFL's official twitter account reporting it too. Shocking to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wow that's pretty crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I knew there was something up with this latest injury but didn't think it was that serious.

I'm guessing they're in shock too but Colts fans booing Luck when he was walking into the locker room is very poor form. The guy took so much damage earlier in his career, aside from the hits his list of known injuries is long. In hindsight, with him being a smart guy retirement probably should have been something on the radar and not quite as shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm guessing they're in shock too but Colts fans booing Luck when he was walking into the locker room is very poor form. The guy took so much damage earlier in his career, aside from the hits his list of known injuries is long. In hindsight, with him being a smart guy retirement probably should have been something on the radar and not quite as shocking.

https://twitter.com/yahoosports/status/1165447513152749568?s=21

Very disappointing and embarrassing from our fanbase with regards to the above^.

In some respects its not completely unbelievable that Luck has chosen to retire. He was always a different type personality to your typical football player. In his years in the NFL, there wasn't one controversial incident with him. He wasn't on social media. He was a very reserved character. He was different. All the fame, money and the material side of things you get with being an NFL player wasn't important for him. It makes his decision tonight alot more understandable given what he has been through.

But still a massive shock to the fanbase and franchise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pretty mental waking up to that. But he's had some serious injuries.
    He's made his money, good luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Colts are going to tank and fall into yet another generational QB, aren't they.

Edit: forgot Lawrence isn't eligible til 2021.

Tua, Herbert or Fromm are the options. Again though, not a bad year to be looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm shocked to hear Andrew luck is retiring but looking back at this off season this latest calf/ankle injury was very strange and badly handled, but you stay classy colts fans for booing the guy as he walked off the field.

It’s a pity the story leaked before he got to release it on his terms after he spoke to his teammates. But with that vulture Schefter around, that was never going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Knex. wrote: »

Tua, Herbert or Fromm are the options. Again though, not a bad year to be looking.

Suck for Luck turns into Tank for Tua. Fail for Fromm? Can't think of anything for Herbert with illeteration so he is not an option. Tank for Tua is the best slogan obviously which is how the choice should be made.

I see this as another David Carr case, except Luck was more talented. The Colts organisation are 100% to blame for losing one of the leagues top QBs.

Poor form from the fans, Luck's first few seasons were close to attempted murder (yeah, yeah hyperbole but it gets the point across).

We'll trade the Colts Eli Manning for a 1st and kick off the Daniel Jones era sooner than planned.

On a serious note though, Brisset actually looks a decent QB to me. They might not be in a terrible position, although dropoff from Luck will obviously be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Had to go all season last year without bell on my fantasy and now my qb retired.fairplay to him though. Is rich and will never have to worry about money again. Might as well enjoy your health and money while young

Also what is the guy with the captain Andrew luck twitter going to do now!! Think of other Andrew!!

Also what is the guy with the captain Andrew luck twitter going to do now!! Think of other Andrew!!

I'm looking forward to his next missive

We'll trade the Colts Eli Manning for a 1st and kick off the Daniel Jones era sooner than planned.

On a serious note though, Brisset actually looks a decent QB to me. They might not be in a terrible position, although dropoff from Luck will obviously be huge.

I agree, I think he's decent enough too. It's not like they're going to Nate Peterman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

After letting him get destroyed by s*it o-lines most of his career and mishandling multiple injuries, someone within the organisation leaking that news to Schefter mid-game and taking away his moment to make the announcement himself is a fitting ending.

The idiots in the stands booing him just proves that nobody in Indianapolis deserved him, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

How does this affect his contract/colts cap? Is his money guaranteed cause he retired through injury?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Guffy wrote: »
    How does this affect his contract/colts cap? Is his money guaranteed cause he retired through injury?

He has to pay back part of his signing bonus assuming there was a retirement clause in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

He has to pay back part of his signing bonus assuming there was a retirement clause in there

Does the fact its injury related affect the percentage he has to give back?

Very strange watching the nfl network reaction as they come on air with breaking news and they show Andrew Luck on the sideline and he just looked like he was a starter not playing in a preseason game. When did the news break US time ? Was it during the colts and Bears game ? I ask because I've gone back and watched the game and the start of the second half the colts commentators are talking about him as if he's still part of the team. Very Very strange turn of events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

I'd probably rather roll with Brissett than any of the above

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Very strange watching the nfl network reaction as they come on air with breaking news and they show Andrew Luck on the sideline and he just looked like he was a starter not playing in a preseason game. When did the news break US time ? Was it during the colts and Bears game ? I ask because I've gone back and watched the game and the start of the second half the colts commentators are talking about him as if he's still part of the team. Very Very strange turn of events.

It was at the beginning of the 4th that the news broke and the Colts announcers mentioned it a few minutes later.

Oat23 wrote: »
    After letting him get destroyed by s*it o-lines most of his career and mishandling multiple injuries, someone within the organisation leaking that news to Schefter mid-game and taking away his moment to make the announcement himself is a fitting ending.

The idiots in the stands booing him just proves that nobody in Indianapolis deserved him, really.

It was a shameful moment. There are still even local Indiana radio presenters and journalists attacking Luck last night. The whole thing was a complete disaster, the Colts were supposed to announce this at 3pm today, Luck had to make a speech on the spot. I thought the McDaniels saga was bad enough. This is the nightmare of nightmares for a Colts fan. A turning point in the franchise.

The main person to blame is Ryan Grigson imo.

Jacoby's contract is up at the end of the year so there will be an evaluation next offseason of which direction the Colts franchise want to go in anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Unbelievable!! Best wishes to him obviously, presumably it’s health related and a decision he didn’t take lightly. Fans that booed him should be ashamed.

I hope Adam Schefter is happy with himself. Al Davis was right about him. Andrew luck wanted to tell his teammates and the fans in his own way and couldn't and then schefter talks about the way Andrew lucks timeline moved up when he was the one who moved the timeline up. Also, whoever his source isn't much better.

• Advertisement

letowski wrote: »
    Jacoby's contract is up at the end of the year so there will be an evaluation next offseason of which direction the Colts franchise want to go in anyways.

He is a decent QB but yes I think they will be looking elsewhere long term. They are too good to tank for a top pick and may be stuck in a kind of QB limbo for a while. This is a massive massive blow for the colts.

This is a big issue they'll face. If Brissett only looks good in flashes then they'll be in a position where the sample size will make it a risk to offer him a long term deal on the money he'll be likely looking for. Franchise tag might make sense to assess him further but it would likely mean they miss out on a QB in a deep class. Big thing going for them is the amount of cap space that they don't look keen on spending in the short term so have the cushion to make mistakes

This is a big issue they'll face. If Brissett only looks good in flashes then they'll be in a position where the sample size will make it a risk to offer him a long term deal on the money he'll be likely looking for. Franchise tag might make sense to assess him further but it would likely mean they miss out on a QB in a deep class. Big thing going for them is the amount of cap space that they don't look keen on spending in the short term so have the cushion to make mistakes

They could have traded for Rosen or somebody if they had known this was coming. Very late to be trying to make plans now. The timing is a real disaster as well.

Guffy wrote: »
    Does the fact its injury related affect the percentage he has to give back?

He hasn't been told he can't play again, he just doesn't want to go through all the rehab/pain required to, which I completely understand, so even if there was a 'retire through injury clause' in the contract I don't think it would matter.

The player doesn't have to give the money back if they aren't asked though. Irsay seemed to be hoping that Luck might change his mind after some time off so mightn't ask him for it (or he might just be thankful about what Luck did for the team)

They could have traded for Rosen or somebody if they had known this was coming. Very late to be trying to make plans now. The timing is a real disaster as well.

The timing is terrible but it doesn't seem like it was as much of a shock to the team as it was to the rest of us. I'd say from the team perspective it was worth the risk that Luck could make it through this rehab and they'd have him as their QB for the next 10 years than trying to force a decission from him earlier in the pre-season.

I hope Adam Schefter is happy with himself. Al Davis was right about him. Andrew luck wanted to tell his teammates and the fans in his own way and couldn't and then schefter talks about the way Andrew lucks timeline moved up when he was the one who moved the timeline up. Also, whoever his source isn't much better.

I kind of agree with you there about Schefter but in reality, if it wasn't him it would have been someone else. But he is a weasel. Remember this is the guy who released the medical records of JPP.

The guy who leaked the story to him though deserves the most of the criticism though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

The journalist did his job, nobody would turn down a scoop like that. The source was the one who behaved poorly.

• Advertisement

Agreed, there will be a big decision down the line. The one thing though going for the Colts front office is that at least Brissett will be fully exposed for them to make that decision.

This is Brissett's shot now in the NFL.

He is coming into a good offense with a good offensive mind in Frank Reich. Colts were easily a top 10 offense last year. He has practiced with the 1s all summer. If he can't play good or consistent, it will hurt his stock. To be honest, I reckon we will have a good idea by week 5 or 6 if he is a starting caliber QB with a contract. He has some starter qualities but he isn't good enough imo.

The Honeybadger above makes a good point. I think we will win a couple of games and not be in a position to draft a good QB prospect without trading up.. Ballard hates the idea of trading up. Its hard to see how the Colts will go about acquiring a franchise QB. Furthermore, our best WRs and TEs as well as our LT Costanzo all have their contracts up after this year or the next, they are mainly here because of Andrew Luck and are close to him. The future feels very uncertain, this is such a blow to the franchise on so many levels.

Also, it will be interesting to see if the Colts ask for Luck to return his $12 million signing bonus for not making the final cut.

Also, it will be interesting to see if the Colts ask for Luck to return his $12 million signing bonus for not making the final cut.

Schefter reporting that they've reached a financial settlement with him and letting him keep the money. I've no idea of how this affects the cap.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1165650268987502598?s=20

Schefter reporting that they've reached a financial settlement with him and letting him keep the money. I've no idea of how this affects the cap.

Meanwhile in Detriot, they chose to alienate one of their best ever players when they demanded Megatron return a $1m signing bonus after he retired :rolleyes:

Antonio Brown has lost his second grievance hearing.

Good. Stupid bloody waste of time over something that is being done to protect players.

Thanks, thats $18.4m in dead money. He doesnt get to keep his $9.2m base salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Hardly could be anything to do with the **** arounds over his various injuries through the years?

Might be being too cynical, could just be to keep him around for coaching/analysis/front office.

Knowing the NFL this will end up in some court or other yet

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Hardly could be anything to do with the **** arounds over his various injuries through the years?

Might be being too cynical, could just be to keep him around for coaching/analysis/front office.

Knowing the NFL this will end up in some court or other yet

That's what I thought too. Teams have a bit of a thing of underpaying injuries

I'm assuming the NFL are preparing for the aftermath of the hurricane that is supposed to hit Florida this weekend ? I mean there seems to be no firm track on where it will make landfall in Florida. I mean in the aftermath of what is looking like a powerful hurricane according to the national hurricane centre football wouldn't be the most important thing but all three Florida teams are scheduled at home on the opening week. I wonder is the option of having the Florida teams play away in week 1 ?

Oat23 wrote: »
    5th round pick for Vedvik.

Decent deal as he can kick and punt. Two needs filled.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1160617062244519938

This hasn't worked out too well.

Vedvik was 1-4 on FGs for the Vikes in the last 3 games. His one make was from 27 last night. Dan Bailey looks to have the kicking job wrapped up after making kicks from 43 and 54 in the 2nd half.

Highly unlikely they'll cut him after giving up a 5th, but he'll be the punter this season at best. Giving up a 5th for a punter is a bit mad, but he has plenty of time to develop into the starting kicker I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement