Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm assuming the NFL are preparing for the aftermath of the hurricane that is supposed to hit Florida this weekend ? I mean there seems to be no firm track on where it will make landfall in Florida. I mean in the aftermath of what is looking like a powerful hurricane according to the national hurricane centre football wouldn't be the most important thing but all three Florida teams are scheduled at home on the opening week. I wonder is the option of having the Florida teams play away in week 1 ?

Florida are regulars at dealing with hurricanes and the cities bounce back incredibly quickly. Unless this ends up being much more powerful than expected or there is random structural damage to the stadiums, a week should give them plenty of time for any clean up.

They generally only move the games if they're due to hit over the same weekend as the game itself and even then they wait until the last second to make the decision in case there is a course change and it isn't a direct hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,403 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Brandon Marshall(linebacker version) has been released by the raiders. He won't be waiting long I don't think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Oat23 wrote: »
    Giving up a 5th for a punter is a bit mad, but he has plenty of time to develop into the starting kicker I suppose.

mmm 49ers drafted a punter in the 4th round, so there is that.

adrian522 wrote: »

But can their punter do this in preseason? :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1163638446818070528

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

adrian522 wrote: »

Bit different with Vedvik though as they traded for him to be their kicker first as they didn't really need a punter that bad. Him failing to win that job after a horrible pre-season and being relegated to being the punter surely classes the trade as a failure until he proves otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Brandon Marshall(linebacker version) has been released by the raiders. He won't be waiting long I don't think.
    Marshall is slow and makes poor decisions. He had his best year in Denver when he was fast - lower body injuries have crippled him. I think its time for him to call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Shady McCoy released by the Bills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Vikings nags trading or releasing Laquon Treadwell

Seattle have agreed a deal for Clowney

Seattle gets clowney
    Texans get a 2020 5third, de/lob Barkavious Minho and LB Jacob Martin

Just wow....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Alot of high profile players will be missing in the AFC South Week 1. Andrew Luck retired, Clowney traded, Lamar Miller injured, Taylor Lewan suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

brinty wrote: »
    Seattle have agreed a deal for Clowney

Seattle gets clowney
    Texans get a 2020 5third, de/lob Barkavious Minho and LB Jacob Martin

Just wow....
    The finest trade the Texans have made since Crock Osweiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That trade is absolutely nuts from a Houston perspective. That's bargain basement compensation for a player like Clowney.

Just shows the leverage Clowney had.

That trade is absolutely nuts from a Houston perspective. That's bargain basement compensation for a player like Clowney.

Just shows the leverage Clowney had.

I'd say it shows how much of a mess the Texans in the front office. How can an NFL team operate without a proper GM ? If there was a GM in place I doubt he's being traded.

If Clowney walks next year, Seattle could possibly pick up a third round compensatory pick for 2021.

The talk was a first rounder or a solid starter (Tunsil) before today. I think we may hear Houston were holding out for better offers that didn't materialise.

This hasn't worked out too well.

Vedvik was 1-4 on FGs for the Vikes in the last 3 games. His one make was from 27 last night. Dan Bailey looks to have the kicking job wrapped up after making kicks from 43 and 54 in the 2nd half.

Highly unlikely they'll cut him after giving up a 5th, but he'll be the punter this season at best. Giving up a 5th for a punter is a bit mad, but he has plenty of time to develop into the starting kicker I suppose.

Jesus. They've waived him after about 3 weeks! I wasn't expecting that.

I don't see him making it through waivers.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1167884650598895616

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

The Dolphins trade for Tunsil was apparently ready to go but Clowney refused to sign the tag for the trade to go through as he wouldnt go to Miami.

Whole thing is so weird. Complete mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

No place on the Bills squad for Wade.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Now it seems it's basically the Mack trade again for just Tunsil?

• Advertisement

Texans have given up players also. Here's the full details.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1167915336487731204

Tunsil is a very good tackle. Stills is..eh. After Landry left I thought he might step up and be a real #1 receiver but it didn't click last season.

Texans have given up a hell of a lot all things considered. The Bears got Mack for less, actually. Could be A LOT less depending on how this season plays out in regards to 2020 draft picks being swapped.

What a mad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Texans have given up players also. Here's the full details.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1167915336487731204

Tunsil is a very good tackle. Stills is..eh. After Landry left I thought he might step up and be a real #1 receiver but it didn't click last season.

Texans have given up a hell of a lot all things considered. The Bears got Mack for less, actually. Could be A LOT less depending on how this season plays out in regards to 2020 draft picks being swapped.

They have a premier left tackle who is going to keep their franchise qb alive for the next 10 years (they'd want to hope)

The prevailing opinion is the Texans got fleeced but those first rounders are likely to be high picks. Tunsil better develop into a Joe Thomas mind.

Guffy wrote: »
    They have a premier left tackle who is going to keep their franchise qb alive for the next 10 years (they'd want to hope)

They've still given up far too much. Tunsil is a good player but he's not worth anything close to 2 first rounders. Not a hope.

If they had a proper GM I don't see that trade happening.
    Tunsil better develop into a Joe Thomas mind.

This is it. They've traded the house in the hope he develops into an all-pro tackle who will be there for a decade. I don't agree that trading two 1sts for potential is a good idea. You trade that for a superstar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Spare a thought for Fitzmagic and Josh Rosen. Their line was already terrible, one of them will likely be killed now with Tunsil gone.

Miami following the Browns model of purging the roster and accumulating draft picks it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I don't get it. Tunsil is good but is he even top 10? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Is Tunsil still on a rookie contract? Are the Texans going to have to turn around and give him a massive payday in a year or 2 as he will have a tonne of leverage when it comes to contract talks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

phatkev wrote:
    Is Tunsil still on a rookie contract? Are the Texans going to have to turn around and give him a massive payday in a year or 2 as he will have a tonne of leverage when it comes to contract talks!

Yep

phatkev wrote: »

He is on his rookie deal until the end of 2020 but they’ll probably pay him at the end of this season. He had better work out after this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I don't get it. Tunsil is good but is he even top 10? I doubt it.

He gave up one sack last year.

He is on his rookie deal until the end of 2020 but they’ll probably pay him at the end of this season. He had better work out after this

Likely another mistake not to sort out a contract extension before the trade. Tunsil has so much leverage now.

The trades today show why it is a bad idea in most situations to have your coach also taking the GM role.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Likely another mistake not to sort out a contract extension before the trade. Tunsil has so much leverage now.

The trades today show why it is a bad idea in most situations to have your coach also taking the GM role.

Yes, bad day at the office for the Texans I think. I really don’t like what they have done at all, although I don’t like a team trading first round picks away under any circumstances.

I suppose the Texans are going ‘win now’ but the problem is they are not good enough to do so imo, too many pieces missing. Surely they could have gotten a better deal for Trent Williams?

Yes, bad day at the office for the Texans I think. I really don’t like what they have done at all, although I don’t like a team trading first round picks away under any circumstances.

I suppose the Texans are going ‘win now’ but the problem is they are not good enough to do so imo, too many pieces missing. Surely they could have gotten a better deal for Trent Williams?

I'd say the rumours are true that the Redskins aren't listening to offers for Williams yet but they should have just waited it out, as that stance will likely change as he holds out into the season.

The terrible statement of 'no deal is better than a bad deal' is true here and is similar with Clowney. If they had no intention of extending him then either trade him when he could still sign a contract, like Ford and Clark, or hold tight in the hope that he doesn't want to lose a year of salary.

There looks like there's no planning at all, just what is needed right now with no sense of value.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'd say the rumours are true that the Redskins aren't listening to offers for Williams yet but they should have just waited it out, as that stance will likely change as he holds out into the season.

The terrible statement of 'no deal is better than a bad deal' is true here and is similar with Clowney. If they had no intention of extending him then either trade him when he could still sign a contract, like Ford and Clark, or hold tight in the hope that he doesn't want to lose a year of salary.

There looks like there's no planning at all, just what is needed right now with no sense of value.

Don’t forget they also probably overpaid for Hyde not long ago, third round pick next year. How are they going to keep building the roster? The Texans off season business has been highly questionable overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Christy42 wrote: »
    Apologies I meant Duke Johnson, I got them mixed up. They traded a fourth rounder to Cleveland for him that will probably become a third rounder.

In next years draft they won’t have their first or third round picks by the looks of it. Not sure what years second round pick they traded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Apologies I meant Duke Johnson, I got them mixed up. They traded a fourth rounder to Cleveland for him that will probably become a third rounder.

In next years draft they won’t have their first or third round picks by the looks of it. Not sure what years second round pick they traded.

Always forget Duke was such a recent trade with all that has gone on. As for the Tunsil deal. Well it is a gamble but if they make the picks low enough it will be worth it. Like say 28th or worse in the draft both years. Remember Tunsil should have gone top 5 and we know he can hang in the NFL.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Always forget Duke was such a recent trade with all that has gone on. As for the Tunsil deal. Well it is a gamble but if they make the picks low enough it will be worth it. Like say 28th or worse in the draft both years. Remember Tunsil should have gone top 5 and we know he can hang in the NFL.
    They’ve gotten in some good players and I’d probably tip them for the Division now Luck is out of the picture. I’d worry for them in the future though having given away so many draft picks. I don’t think any good GM would do what they did over the past few days.

In fairness when the eagles gave up a first rounder for Jason Peter's back in the day there where critics also and it's probably one of the best trades in the history of the franchise now. If tunsil turns out to be a stud this is a great deal if not then it likely to be a bad one but with the pedigree he had coming out of college he could well end up a franchise Cornerstone

• Advertisement

The more details about the Clowney trade shows me that a HC shouldnt be doing a GMs job and also the Texans fans should call the Houston PD and report a robbery. I know Clowney didn't want to be there and he had good leverage but the Texans got mugged on that trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

The more details about the Clowney trade shows me that a HC shouldnt be doing a GMs job and also the Texans fans should call the Houston PD and report a robbery. I know Clowney didn't want to be there and he had good leverage but the Texans got mugged on that trade.

I saw that Seattle are only on the hook for $8m of Clowney's $15m salary - Houston picks up the other $7m. I really can't see what Houston's thinking was here at all (besides having left themselves completely over a barrel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Have to stop myself laughing at the Texans with their recent trades when I remember that Jerry Reese passed on Tunsil and took Eli Apple when the Giants OL was in desperate need of quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1168509885048397825?s=19

Gordon suddenly looks a bit smarter than he is getting credit for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Is it just me who hates how prevalent PFF grades have become? Even more so for offensive linemen.

Knex. wrote: »
    Is it just me who hates how prevalent PFF grades have become? Even more so for offensive linemen.

Collinsworth shills it on NBC. No mention that he owns PFF either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Any update on Gordon?

Don't ask but I had a brain fart and took him in the first round of my money league draft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Any update on Gordon?

Don't ask but I had a brain fart and took him in the first round of my money league draft

Looks like a hold out, I took him in round 12 on a flyer.

Chargers have him as out for this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Looks like a hold out, I took him in round 12 on a flyer.

Chargers have him as out for this weekend.

My season is over before it’s begun :(

• Advertisement

Cowboys have resigned La'el Collins through 2024 and freed up another $5m in cap space on top of the 23m they had available

Advertisement