Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

brinty wrote: »
    Cowboys have resigned La'el Collins through 2024 and freed up another $5m in cap sister to the 23m they had available

Theres a lot of money tied up in the o-line now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

And they have Cam Fleming as back up/swing tackle and drafted Conor Williams in 18 and Connor McGovern in 2019 with McGovern give to IR this year and expected to redshirt the whole year. They also have Looney who replaced Fredrick at center last year doing an adequate job and Xavier Sua-filo who started 6-8 games at left guard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

brinty wrote: »
    And they have Cam Fleming as back up/swing tackle and drafted Conor Williams in 18 and Connor McGovern in 2019 with McGovern give to IR this year and expected to redshirt the whole year. They also have Looney who replaced Fredrick at center last year doing an adequate job and Xavier Sua-filo who started 6-8 games at left guard

Pity they don't have a Running Back to go with all this great OL talent. :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I could probably be an NFL rb behind that line!

boccy23 wrote:
    Pity they don't have a Running Back to go with all this great OL talent.

Deal is almost done b

• Advertisement

Masked Man wrote:
    I could probably be an NFL rb behind that line!

Dunno mate, you might be a little slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Brilliant. And I would buy that calendar if it were sold. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

New documentary coming to HBO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nate Peterman's first interception free season.

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/1168572095883669504

This clip of Bruce Smith from years back doing the rounds today. The flu eh?

https://twitter.com/MikeGoldFool/status/1168401994916093952

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Looks like Zeke has signed a mega contract

EDIT: 6 year $90 million according to Rapoport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Damn it jerry why did you blink.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Damn it jerry why did you blink.

Jerra’s had so much plastic surgery over the past few years he’s incapable of blinking. But I know what you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nice deal for both with $50m guaranteed. It makes it an eight year contract because it's an extension to the two years he has left. Full value of the eight years is $103m.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Do have the full breakdown of the Zeke or Goff deals yet, I can't see them anywhere? Devil is always in the detail, as what is reported as 'guaranteed' doesn't always mean guaranteed, like if the guarantee only becomes active if they're injured or on the roster the first day of the season.

On the face both look like huge outlays though for questionable long term value. Fair play to both players though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I’d be amazed if Zeke is still with the cowboys in eight years given the way they use him. Foxtrol is right, if the guarantees are conditional guarantees then it may not be such a huge outlay.

Must be a relief to Dallas fans

I’d be amazed if Zeke is still with the cowboys in eight years given the way they use him. Foxtrol is right, if the guarantees are conditional guarantees then it may not be such a huge outlay.

Must be a relief to Dallas fans

As someone who got Zeke at pick #8 in the boards draft, I am also very pro the Cowboys sorting this contract out.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    As someone who got Zeke at pick #8 in the boards draft, I am also very pro the Cowboys sorting this contract out.

Brave under the circumstances. I hope nobody took Gordon too high!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Do have the full breakdown of the Zeke or Goff deals yet, I can't see them anywhere? Devil is always in the detail, as what is reported as 'guaranteed' doesn't always mean guaranteed, like if the guarantee only becomes active if they're injured or on the roster the first day of the season.

On the face both look like huge outlays though for questionable long term value. Fair play to both players though.

I mean the market is always going up with the cap. I don't see an issue with the Goff deal. He is a decent QB and that means he gets a massive premium in free agency.

Zekes deal seems pretty long as it includes 2 rookie years. Maybe Pollard gets more of a go in the offense and save him a bit? They may be more conservative now they have a long term interest in him.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean the market is always going up with the cap. I don't see an issue with the Goff deal. He is a decent QB and that means he gets a massive premium in free agency.

Zekes deal seems pretty long as it includes 2 rookie years. Maybe Pollard gets more of a go in the offense and save him a bit? They may be more conservative now they have a long term interest in him.

Having pollard there might mean they use him more conservatively or use him more in space as a receiver too. It opens up all sorts of possibilities. They can’t keep flogging him if they want to keep him healthy.

• Advertisement

I might be being harsh but Goff looked terrible in his rookie year and has rarely looked like more than a slightly above average QB since, despite having one the top offensive minds playcalling and coaching him at the line, a top 2 RB, very good WRs, and good OL. To me he hasn't shown anything that doesn't point to him being relatively easily replaceable. Rather than tying up a huge amount of cap space in him I'd rather draft a rookie QB that needs some development in the 2nd/3rd round, have them sit for a year, and then move on from Goff, receiving a high comp pick if he gets paid like you expect. When full details come out I expect the Rams to have some 'outs' on the contract and guarantees, like the 49ers have with Garoppolo.

For Zeke, despite my fantasy investment in him I hope you're right and the load is shared a bit more. Again it is all down to the structure of the deal, can they get out of the guarantees and when are the big money years. If the big money years are later in the contract he is unlikely ever seeing the full contract duration or that money.

I might be being harsh but Goff looked terrible in his rookie year and has rarely looked like more than a slightly above average QB since, despite having one the top offensive minds playcalling and coaching him at the line, a top 2 RB, very good WRs, and good OL. To me he hasn't shown anything that doesn't point to him being relatively easily replaceable. Rather than tying up a huge amount of cap space in him I'd rather draft a rookie QB that needs some development in the 2nd/3rd round, have them sit for a year, and then move on from Goff, receiving a high comp pick if he gets paid like you expect. When full details come out I expect the Rams to have some 'outs' on the contract and guarantees, like the 49ers have with Garoppolo.

For Zeke, despite my fantasy investment in him I hope you're right and the load is shared a bit more. Again it is all down to the structure of the deal, can they get out of the guarantees and when are the big money years. If the big money years are later in the contract he is unlikely ever seeing the full contract duration or that money.

Average QBs get big paychecks. Plenty of top QBs are unimpressive as rookies. Goff also had to deal with Fisher.

He has shown more than Jimmy G who got plenty of cash. He does have the tools but he has also used them. If you use a 2nd/3rd on a QB there is decent odds he will fail at which point you now have no QB and top offense talent all trying to get to a decent team. Now you are in total rebuild mode because you bet the house on number 50+ in the draft?

Half decent QBs are hard to come by. I would have Dalton over every back up going and he is not elite.

Average QBs get big paychecks. Plenty of top QBs are unimpressive as rookies. Goff also had to deal with Fisher.

He has shown more than Jimmy G who got plenty of cash. He does have the tools but he has also used them. If you use a 2nd/3rd on a QB there is decent odds he will fail at which point you now have no QB and top offense talent all trying to get to a decent team. Now you are in total rebuild mode because you bet the house on number 50+ in the draft?

Half decent QBs are hard to come by. I would have Dalton over every back up going and he is not elite.

People were rightfully questioning the Garopollo contract and Goff is apparently getting nearly 50% more than he did guaranteed (extra $36m), however at the time the 49ers were early rebuild, had a huge amount of cap space, gave themselves outs in the contract ($4.2 dead cap if cut at the end of this season), and I'd argue Garopollo did more in that 6 game before his contract to elevate the team around him than I've ever seen from Goff.

There are plenty of 2nd or 3rd round picks that fail in every position and you'd get back a 3rd in a comp pick on Goff presuming that another team would pay Goff like feel they would. Your case also ignores the cost of the Goff contract can't be spent to elevate the team elsewhere, his money could be spent on helping several verterans rather than one you gamble with on a draft pick.

This is all just opinions, I'd much rather bet on a rookie after sitting a year or a cheaper FA QB with McVay with Goff money spent on support for them than Goff and McVay and weaker support. As a 49ers fan I'm much happier they went the route of paying Gurley and Goff than moving on from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Anyone else signed up to The Athletic? Very good coverage of all the American sports in particular but this Summer they poached a load of high profile British journalists so soccer is decent now aswell. Costs $3 a month which is fair enough IMO as I seem to be getting the use out of it. Referral link for 40% off signup if anyone needs it here

Anyone else signed up to The Athletic? Very good coverage of all the American sports in particular but this Summer they poached a load of high profile British journalists so soccer is decent now aswell. Costs $30 a month which is fair enough IMO as I seem to be getting the use out of it. Referral link for 40% off signup if anyone needs it here

$30 a month? Typo surely. I got it for $49 for the year. It is good though. Some great writers. They’ve added podcasts recently too which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

$30 a month? Typo surely. I got it for $49 for the year. It is good though. Some great writers. They’ve added podcasts recently too which is good.

Ha yes my bad, $3 a month is what I intended to type so $36 for the year. Ahh interesting haven't given the podcasts a go at all I'll have to put some on my phone and give them a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

People were rightfully questioning the Garopollo contract and Goff is apparently getting nearly 50% more than he did guaranteed (extra $36m), however at the time the 49ers were early rebuild, had a huge amount of cap space, gave themselves outs in the contract ($4.2 dead cap if cut at the end of this season), and I'd argue Garopollo did more in that 6 game before his contract to elevate the team around him than I've ever seen from Goff.

There are plenty of 2nd or 3rd round picks that fail in every position and you'd get back a 3rd in a comp pick on Goff presuming that another team would pay Goff like feel they would. Your case also ignores the cost of the Goff contract can't be spent to elevate the team elsewhere, his money could be spent on helping several verterans rather than one you gamble with on a draft pick.

This is all just opinions, I'd much rather bet on a rookie after sitting a year or a cheaper FA QB with McVay with Goff money spent on support for them than Goff and McVay and weaker support. As a 49ers fan I'm much happier they went the route of paying Gurley and Goff than moving on from them.

Its difficult to say Garopollo has done more in 6 games than a guy who just led his team to a Superbowl and had a terrific season. Really blinkered at best.

Its difficult to say Garopollo has done more in 6 games than a guy who just led his team to a Superbowl and had a terrific season. Really blinkered at best.

Indeed. Jimmy G also struggled in some of those games with a lot of wins on kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

He may or may not be worth the money they gave him. I think they're right to pay him because otherwise they could end up with a mess at QB.

However, to say he has rarely looked like more than a slightly above average QB since his rookie year seems a bit disingenuous. Over the last two seasons his quarterback rating is about 101. Only one quarterback has a higher career level than that - Aaron Rodgers. It's four points above Brady and Brees. Now I wouldn't claim that he is the second best quarterback ever on that basis but it is certainly slightly above average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

What's the difference between NFL GamePass, NFL Network and NFL Redzone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I’d put it that if Snead and McVay think he is worth it then he is. I know that is simplistic but McVay knows him and his abilities more than anyway in the league. I’d trust them more than an awful lot of GMs and HCs in the league.

Goff has been exceptional at times the last two years and admittedly average other times. He still helped put 30 points against a very stingy Dallas D and 26 against New Orleans. All without the help of Gurley

That would be fair if you weren't pulling a strawman and writing a snarky response to a different point than one that I made.

Goff clearly has 'done more' as a sum of work than Garopollo, anyone would be blinkered to argue against, however my point was that I haven't seen Goff often elevate the Rams like Garopollo did when he came initially, prior to his new contract. I had the unfortunate experience of sitting through that 2017 49ers season of Hoyer and Beathard and the upgrade to the whole offense when Garoppolo came in was incredible.

I've watched Goff quite a lot, I get LA local tv and games on my TV, and I just don't see him raising the guys around him like that regularly, moreso he is surrounded by a fantastic coaching staff and team but generally he takes what is given to him and struggles when is asked to do more. I admit that opinion on elevating could completely change if he got injured and the backup QB came in and the Rams absolutely stunk the place up, but I don't think they would (even with Bortles).

I'm not wedded to that opinion and would welcome a discussion about it if it is slightly more substantial than 'lol blinkered fan...' to a completely different point :rolleyes:

What's the difference between NFL GamePass, NFL Network and NFL Redzone?

NFL gamepass is the overall service that the NFL have so that people outside the US and Canada can watch the NFL live. NFL network is just the league approved network of the NFL. And NFL redzone is the NFL is drugs which shows all the touchdowns on a sunday. I used to like redzone and it's still good from 8-9pm of a sunday but I think it's changed the way newer fans watch the game.

NFL gamepass is the overall service that the NFL have so that people outside the US and Canada can watch the NFL live. NFL network is just the league approved network of the NFL. And NFL redzone is the NFL is drugs which shows all the touchdowns on a sunday. I used to like redzone and it's still good from 8-9pm of a sunday but I think it's changed the way newer fans watch the game.

I have IPTV and in the NFL folder it contains NFL Redzone and NFL Network.

I presume each game will be added to view closer to kick off?

I have IPTV and in the NFL folder it contains NFL Redzone and NFL Network.

I presume each game will be added to view closer to kick off?

I honestly couldn't tell you. The games aren't shown on the network or redzone.

• Advertisement

Goff is a pretty good QB, I don’t think he is up there with Brady, Brees or Mahomes but he is a good passer and doesn’t make many costly mistakes or cost his team wins. He is also going to get better I think.

He is one of those that probably needs good players around him though. I couldn’t see him carrying a team and making it more than the sum of its parts in the way that Wilson does in Seattle for example. He might get to that level though.

The contract is a bit rich but what can they do, it seems every QB to sign a new deal wants more than the previous guy. Some day a team will refuse and they will let a big name walk but it would take a brave GM to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

That would be fair if you weren't pulling a strawman and writing a snarky response to a different point than one that I made.

Goff clearly has 'done more' as a sum of work than Garopollo, anyone would be blinkered to argue against, however my point was that I haven't seen Goff often elevate the Rams like Garopollo did when he came initially, prior to his new contract. I had the unfortunate experience of sitting through that 2017 49ers season of Hoyer and Beathard and the upgrade to the whole offense when Garoppolo came in was incredible.

I've watched Goff quite a lot, I get LA local tv and games on my TV, and I just don't see him raising the guys around him like that regularly, moreso he is surrounded by a fantastic coaching staff and team but generally he takes what is given to him and struggles when is asked to do more. I admit that opinion on elevating could completely change if he got injured and the backup QB came in and the Rams absolutely stunk the place up, but I don't think they would (even with Bortles).

I'm not wedded to that opinion and would welcome a discussion about it if it is slightly more substantial than 'lol blinkered fan...' to a completely different point :rolleyes:

It wasnt meant as a snarky, i just dont see your argument against Goff or even why your comparing him to Jimmy. Garropplo has 8 or 10 somewhere like that career starts in comparison to i dunno 30+ starts by Goff? The sample of how good either is, definitely is on the Rams side in comparison to the money the 49ers put into Jimmy. Also elevate the players around him? Goff went to New Orleans and won without his best player, fine he had a sub par superbowl but i dont think its fair to say he doesnt elevate that rams offence.

And dont get me wrong here i think it was a difficult spot for the 49ers and they had to pay Jimmy as well and the injury was just unlucky but I cant honestly say the Rams are making a big mistake paying Goff. Regardless everyone is getting paid too much money as none of them are even a patch on Mahomes!

Barney92 wrote: »
    He may or may not be worth the money they gave him. I think they're right to pay him because otherwise they could end up with a mess at QB.

However, to say he has rarely looked like more than a slightly above average QB since his rookie year seems a bit disingenuous. Over the last two seasons his quarterback rating is about 101. Only one quarterback has a higher career level than that - Aaron Rodgers. It's four points above Brady and Brees. Now I wouldn't claim that he is the second best quarterback ever on that basis but it is certainly slightly above average.

There are definitely arguments for Goff being better than I believe he is but QBR is a terrible metric to judge QBs, as an avid Rodgers fan I wouldn't even use it to talk him up :D

I honestly couldn't tell you. The games aren't shown on the network or redzone.

Just been onto my IPTV guy and every game will be shown this season, individual folders for each game will be uploaded 30 mins before kick off- all Gamepass:)

Just been onto my IPTV guy and every game will be shown this season, individual folders for each game will be uploaded 30 mins before kick off- all Gamepass:)

That is some good news! Hoping its similar for the app i use myself!

• Advertisement

That is some good news! Hoping its similar for the app i use myself!

I would have thought whatever is on IPTV sub will also be available on the mobile app

It wasnt meant as a snarky, i just dont see your argument against Goff or even why your comparing him to Jimmy. Garropplo has 8 or 10 somewhere like that career starts in comparison to i dunno 30+ starts by Goff? The sample of how good either is, definitely is on the Rams side in comparison to the money the 49ers put into Jimmy. Also elevate the players around him? Goff went to New Orleans and won without his best player, fine he had a sub par superbowl but i dont think its fair to say he doesnt elevate that rams offence.

And dont get me wrong here i think it was a difficult spot for the 49ers and they had to pay Jimmy as well and the injury was just unlucky but I cant honestly say the Rams are making a big mistake paying Goff. Regardless everyone is getting paid too much money as none of them are even a patch on Mahomes!

It was someone else that brought Jimmy up, he wouldn't be the comparison I'd make with Goff at all. As you said, Garopollo's sample size is tiny, along with the team in a completely different point in their build when they paid him and the quality of his team being no where near as good on offense or defense as Goff. I know it is an easy cop out, due to them being in the same draft but, Dak and Wentz are much better bar to measure Goff against and he'd be the last guy I'd pick from the 3.

I really don't think paying Goff is some kind of monumental mistake, I just feel it isn't the wisest use of their resources. I really thought, and feared, the Rams were going to be the first team to properly leverage the cheapness of rookie QBs for more than one cycle, if around average then replacing them every few years until unless they hit on an absoloute star, like Mahomes. I think it would be a very high risk strategy but very doable when you have one of the top offensive minded coaches/systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

There are definitely arguments for Goff being better than I believe he is but QBR is a terrible metric to judge QBs, as an avid Rodgers fan I wouldn't even use it to talk him up :D

I am not saying QBR is a perfect metric but it is a decent enough one. Top half in QBR last year - Brees, Mahomes, Wilson, Ryan, Rivers, Watson, Wentz, Goff, Fitzpatrick, Cousins, Luck, Brady, Rodgers, Prescott, Roethlisberger, Trubisky. Bottom half - Newton, Carr, Mayfield, Tannehill, Manning, Mariota, Mullens, Winston, Stafford, Dalton, Smith, Flacco, Keenum, Bortles, Darnold, Allen, Rosen.

For the most part, those in the top half are the ones most would agree are among the best in the NFL, and those that are in the bottom half are the worst. I think Goff's rating supports that he has done better than sometimes be slightly above average.

Last year
    Joint 6th in touchdowns
    4th in yards per attempt
    4th in yards
    15th in interception rate
    10th in touchdown rate

7th in touchdowns
    10th in yards
    3rd in yards per attempt
    6th lowest interception rate
    4th highest touchdown rate

I'm sure there are more technical statistics that might be actually able to rank his position more accurately but the above gives me the idea that he is a pretty good quarterback, or at least has been since Fisher left. He does what McVay wants and does it well for the most part.

It was someone else that brought Jimmy up, he wouldn't be the comparison I'd make with Goff at all. As you said, Garopollo's sample size is tiny, along with the team in a completely different point in their build when they paid him and the quality of his team being no where near as good on offense or defense as Goff. I know it is an easy cop out, due to them being in the same draft but, Dak and Wentz are much better bar to measure Goff against and he'd be the last guy I'd pick from the 3.

I really don't think paying Goff is some kind of monumental mistake, I just feel it isn't the wisest use of their resources. I really thought, and feared, the Rams were going to be the first team to properly leverage the cheapness of rookie QBs for more than one cycle, if around average then replacing them every few years until unless they hit on an absoloute star, like Mahomes. I think it would be a very high risk strategy but very doable when you have one of the top offensive minded coaches/systems.

From a Redskins fan where we havent had a reliable Qb for quite a while I think its easy to under estimate dependable. And just on that i like Dak but i wouldnt want him as my franchise Qb. Wentz cant stay fit and i dont honestly know if he is better than Goff.

Qbs are so hit and miss. I feel for the Colts having a stud who decides to retire sucks. And am so jealous of the Chiefs, like sooooo jealous. To hit on a gem like Mahommes is just a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

From a Redskins fan where we havent had a reliable Qb for quite a while I think its easy to under estimate dependable. And just on that i like Dak but i wouldnt want him as my franchise Qb. Wentz cant stay fit and i dont honestly know if he is better than Goff.
    Don't you worry, Haskins is a stud.

Qbs are so hit and miss. I feel for the Colts having a stud who decides to retire sucks. And am so jealous of the Chiefs, like sooooo jealous. To hit on a gem like Mahommes is just a miracle.

I mean you had Alex Smith for a few games... He was reliable. Just you don't have him anymore. (As a Jags fan it is fun to insult others over QB issues before going into a dark corner to cry).

I think I would rank them as Wentz /Goff/Dak (presuming Wentz stays healthy). And probably a decent gap between Goff and Dak.

Actually I think Washington are a great example of the problem. Cousins walks and the team struggles. Now it is hard to say the Vikings did well from that 100% guaranteed contract either. Teams are definitely in a tough spot with regards QBs. Elite ones tend not to come on the market and only when they come with risk (Brees/Manning went out on the market with serious injury questions).

Do you tank? Which will cost people their jobs? Can you be the one to find a late first round QB? Cos the Rams won't pick till late without a crazy trade.

Barney92 wrote: »
    I am not saying QBR is a perfect metric but it is a decent enough one. Top half in QBR last year - Brees, Mahomes, Wilson, Ryan, Rivers, Watson, Wentz, Goff, Fitzpatrick, Cousins, Luck, Brady, Rodgers, Prescott, Roethlisberger, Trubisky. Bottom half - Newton, Carr, Mayfield, Tannehill, Manning, Mariota, Mullens, Winston, Stafford, Dalton, Smith, Flacco, Keenum, Bortles, Darnold, Allen, Rosen.

For the most part, those in the top half are the ones most would agree are among the best in the NFL, and those that are in the bottom half are the worst. I think Goff's rating supports that he has done better than sometimes be slightly above average.

Last year
    Joint 6th in touchdowns
    4th in yards per attempt
    4th in yards
    15th in interception rate
    10th in touchdown rate

7th in touchdowns
    10th in yards
    3rd in yards per attempt
    6th lowest interception rate
    4th highest touchdown rate

I'm sure there are more technical statistics that might be actually able to rank his position more accurately but the above gives me the idea that he is a pretty good quarterback, or at least has been since Fisher left. He does what McVay wants and does it well for the most part.

The bold bit is key. I think people really underplay how playing for a good OC and/or in a top system that meshes with your skillset can allow a player to rack up great stats, especially when you're supported by great players.

Take a look at these stats per game from 2018 and guess who they were for:
    5th in yards per attempt
    4th in yards per completion
    7th in yards per game
    Better TD% than Dak and Rodgers

Those were for Nick Mullens last year - 49ers 3rd string QB, who was an UDFA that spent 2018 on the 49ers practice squad filling in as safety for the scout team. He put up those numbers while playing for a team so injury ravaged, and generally lacking receiving talent, that their highest yards for a WR for the year was a guy name Kendrick Bourne and they were down to starting multiple games with their 4th string RB, who was also an UDFA off the practice squad. Shanahan schemed guys open for him consistently to get those stats, it doesn't mean his play was better than the guys he has better numbers than.

This ties into the feelings I have for Dak. I add value to what he has achieved with the horrible OC situation he has been in, when you compare him to the good positions Goff and Wentz landed in.

I woke up at 5.30 this morning in a panic because my dream was about the hours leading up to kickoff. I thought I fell asleep and missed the game.

But we're good. It's finally gameday and I'm ready to have all my hopes and dreams crushed by these Bears again. Let's go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Oat23 wrote: »
    I woke up at 5.30 this morning in a panic because my dream was about the hours leading up to kickoff. I thought I fell asleep and missed the game.

But we're good. It's finally gameday and I'm ready to have all my hopes and dreams crushed by these Bears again. Let's go!
    I like when they start with the Packers game so you get the expectations crushed nice and early if possible.

Forgot to mention this here yesterday. Antonio Brown was disciplined by Mayock for not showing up to practices. Fairly standard obviously, but Brown wasn't happy and posted the letter he received from Mayock on instagram.

86290347a269e77e4ec8c34ff8ca8aa5.png]

They aren't happy with him (again) according to Schefter.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1169650348375646208

• Advertisement
Advertisement