Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Big Ben was the problem though, don’t forget that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Just came up that Raiders are suspending him, unclear for how long.

On Big Ben, just because AB is now a confirmed nutcase doesn't mean that Big Ben didn't do things that made the situation worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Steelers must be laughing more by the day. Why is he using the word hate ? He didn’t have a good reason to absent from the team so he’s been fined. I’m sorry I’m not seeing what mike mayock has done that’s hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The Steelers must be laughing more by the day. Why is he using the word hate ? He didn’t have a good reason to absent from the team so he’s been fined. I’m sorry I’m not seeing what mike mayock has done that’s hate.

This is a man who took a severed fish head in his freezer as a death threat. Who the f**k knows what is going on in his head but I'm not surprised he considers it hate :D

Breaking news on nfl network that AB will be disinclined by the team after an altercation with the GM mike mayock. He’s clearly an idiot.

I'd say this is the first time he has ever been held accountable by a team, sounds like he was let quite loose during his time with the Steelers.

Not too bright an idea to sign a 'temperamental' player and try to hold him accountable like the rest of the team.

At least they can be thankful they gave up so little to get him.

The nfl network are reporting that AB threatened to punch mike mayock. I can’t see him lasting the season.

Good guy Vontaze Burfict. Always liked him.

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/1169665597581381632

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The nfl network are reporting that AB threatened to punch mike mayock. I can’t see him lasting the season.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1169662591116951552

Yeah this is a disaster for the Raiders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://es.pn/2PR0UCa

Steelers laughing now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

God I thought he would settle once the football started after all the nonsense this off season. Even as a Steelers fan I can’t say I’m enjoying this meltdown. He was my favourite player for years, it’s kind of sad. The guy had to deal with incredible hardship growing up and was one of sports best rags to riches stories. This past year might be what he is remembered most for now.

Can’t say I feel for the Raiders however. I’m convinced they tampered with him and they were practically gloating about how clever they were for getting him on the cheap.

AB isn't in the building and won't be practicing today according to Mike Mayock. Says when it's appropriate he'll share more information.

God I thought he would settle once the football started after all the nonsense this off season. Even as a Steelers fan I can’t say I’m enjoying this meltdown. He was my favourite player for years, it’s kind of sad. The guy had to deal with incredible hardship growing up and was one of sports best rags to riches stories. This past year might be what he is remembered most for now.

Can’t say I feel for the Raiders however. I’m convinced they tampered with him and they were practically gloating about how clever they were for getting him on the cheap.

I think it's hilarious how it is blowing up in their faces like a lot of us predicted. And as a Bears fan we have an important 2nd round pick coming from the Raiders this season in exchange for our 1st rounder, so I obviously want them to crash & burn so we can have a pick somewhere in the 33-36 range.

Part of me doesn't like being happy about it because I suspect he actually has CTE or something else caused by football. He has completely lost it.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I think it's hilarious how it is blowing up in their faces like a lot of us predicted. And as a Bears fan we have an important 2nd round pick coming from the Raiders this season in exchange for our 1st rounder, so I obviously want them to crash & burn so we can have a pick somewhere in the 33-36 range.

Part of me doesn't like being happy about it because I suspect he actually has CTE or something else caused by football. He has completely lost it.

Well while CTE isn't going away and players of this era may still end up having it, I think we need to be careful to not blame CTE every players outbursts. This isn't new from him. The raiders knew who he was. He decided to get thick over a rule that every other player in the league did without controversy. He needs to grow up IMO.

Well while CTE isn't going away and players of this era may still end up having it, I think we need to be careful to not blame CTE every players outbursts. This isn't new from him. The raiders knew who he was. He decided to get thick over a rule that every other player in the league did without controversy. He needs to grow up IMO.

He was never this bad though. There was a timeline posted somewhere (reddit I think) of all of the incidents he has been involved in that we know of, and in the past 2-3 years the # of incidents has skyrocketed. Like throwing furniture out a hotel window and almost hitting a young child. Who does that? Mentally ill people, that's who. A chef puts a fish head in his freezer to make broth and he considers it a death threat. Extremely paranoid people act like that. Paranoia is a major side-effect of CTE too.

People keep going back to that concussion he got after being hit by Burfict as where this all could have started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Good guy Vontaze Burfict. Always liked him.

You're definitely in trouble when Burfict is the voice of reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

AB has just unfollowed the Raiders and Derek Carr on Instagram, ****'s getting real!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

His career might be over if he keeps it up. Raiders might be able to get out of paying him but still have his playing rights should he wish to return to the NFL. Like he is clearly unstable mentally and as a result not fit, mentally, to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

eagle eye wrote: »
    His career might be over if he keeps it up. Raiders might be able to get out of paying him but still have his playing rights should he wish to return to the NFL. Like he is clearly unstable mentally and as a result not fit, mentally, to play.

That might be best for him. Really I am going with the CTE stuff. There is so much we don't know about the condition. I feel like a lot has been brushed under. His character has declined drastically in the last few years is my main thinking for it. There are other potential reasons as well.

It might not be that but I can only hope those close to him are advising him to see medical help.

He was never this bad though. There was a timeline posted somewhere (reddit I think) of all of the incidents he has been involved in that we know of, and in the past 2-3 years the # of incidents has skyrocketed. Like throwing furniture out a hotel window and almost hitting a young child. Who does that? Mentally ill people, that's who. A chef puts a fish head in his freezer to make broth and he considers it a death threat. Extremely paranoid people act like that. Paranoia is a major side-effect of CTE too.

People keep going back to that concussion he got after being hit by Burfict as where this all could have started.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't CTE been linked to repeated concussions ? That hit by Burfict was a shocking hit but AB hasn't had many other concusssions has he ? I mean the steelers centre mike Webster had it and died in part because of it, but he was taking blows to the head every snap in an era when it wasn't known about and if you could walk you played.

I know there is rules about fines for not practicing and playing games when fit to do so and the raiders may use that to void his contract, but surely allegedly threatening to punch your GM wouldn't help your cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

AB has just unfollowed the Raiders and Derek Carr on Instagram, ****'s getting real!!

But followed the Texans. We'll give the raiders Hopkins, Watson, Watt and 3 first round picks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Anyone else wish Hard Knocks was 6 weeks long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't CTE been linked to repeated concussions ? That hit by Burfict was a shocking hit but AB hasn't had many other concusssions has he ? I mean the steelers centre mike Webster had it and died in part because of it, but he was taking blows to the head every snap in an era when it wasn't known about and if you could walk you played.

I know there is rules about fines for not practicing and playing games when fit to do so and the raiders may use that to void his contract, but surely allegedly threatening to punch your GM wouldn't help your cause.

The issue is we are still terrible at diagnosing concussions. I am it is frequently a quiz that players learn how to game. We don't know how many he had in his career and in college.

Anecdotal but the QB coach in season 2 of LSU mentioned he had hidden concussions from coaches when he played though eventually he got enough obvious ones to force him out.

You are right that it would be multiple concussions.

Christy42 wrote: »

The issue is we are still terrible at diagnosing concussions. I am it is frequently a quiz that players learn how to game. We don't know how many he had in his career and in college.

Anecdotal but the QB coach in season 2 of LSU mentioned he had hidden concussions from coaches when he played though eventually he got enough obvious ones to force him out.

You are right that it would be multiple concussions.
    Well then that's a case of the winning at all costs mentality that leads to players not reporting them needing to change.

For all the talk of that hit and CTE, around the same time as that is when he got his first big-money contract. That kind of money can change a person or, maybe more accurately, bring out aspects of a person's character they have buried up until that point.

A guy who grew up in poverty and goes from being a low paid rookie to being a superstar on a huge deal, while receiving little to no discipline for his initial outbursts, is the textbook makings of someone going completely off the rails.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    For all the talk of that hit and CTE, around the same time as that is when he got his first big-money contract. That kind of money can change a person or, maybe more accurately, bring out aspects of a person's character they have buried up until that point.

A guy who grew up in poverty and goes from being a low paid rookie to being a superstar on a huge deal, while receiving little to no discipline for his initial outbursts, is the textbook makings of someone going completely off the rails.

He doesn't always come across that way though. You'll see him on TV being interviewed and he's completely normal and comes across well. If it was money and fame going to his head he'd be walking around thinking he's the GOAT and be an arseh*le all the time would he not?

To me, and I obviously don't know him nor am I around him, but it's like some switch goes off in his head and he changes. He has a good Antonio/bad Antonio thing going on. He's unstable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

You'll see him on TV being interviewed and he's completely normal and comes across well.

Very humble guy, is Antonio.

raiders-antonio-brown-lands-on-non-football-injury-list__202956_.jpg?content=1

Very humble guy, is Antonio.

Bad Antonio right there doing stupid stuff.

Then the rest of that episode he was fine. Did he look mad or come across like a pr*ck? I didn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I thought he came across pretty well in the episodes of Hard Knocks that I've seen to far. Could be a face he puts on in front of the cameras but he seemed genuine enough as far as sports stars go. Not what I had initially expected to be honest.

John gruden has said there will be an announcement on AB later.

Edit: I originally said later today because I saw it said it was today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Jofspring wrote: »
    I thought he came across pretty well in the episodes of Hard Knocks that I've seen to far. Could be a face he puts on in front of the cameras but he seemed genuine enough as far as sports stars go. Not what I had initially expected to be honest.
    AB on Hard Knocks was carefully edited and choreographed to soften what was going on with him, the bit with him at the end of Episode 4 at the local high school football game with the adulating teenagers was cringy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ohmeha wrote: »
    AB on Hard Knocks was carefully edited and choreographed to soften what was going on with him, the bit with him at the end of Episode 4 at the local high school football game with the adulating teenagers was cringy

Everything on Hard Knocks was carefully edited and choreographed this year (maybe it always is and it's just recency bias on my part that thinks it was worse this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Most of the research on CTE says that everyone concussion after the 3rd one does incredible damage and massively raises the risks of getting it. They still don’t know nearly enough about it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭ipitydafool

Not sure if anyone listened to the podcast series the Boston globe did on Aaron Hernandez and how he had one of the worst cases of CTE for someone his age ever found and he died tragically young. Problem is that you can only be diagnosed with it officially after you die but AB behaviour is getting more erratic. On other hand he may just be a diva and now has money is acting how he wants. If the raiders can suspend him and release him before start of season they don't owe him a penny of the 29millon he gtd, they would have to claw back the 1mil signing bonus and have those picks sent to Steelers already. If he on active roster at start of season they eat near 15millon. I'd say move on and don't take the cap hit, can't see how situ is recoverable given the details of bust up

He doesn't always come across that way though. You'll see him on TV being interviewed and he's completely normal and comes across well. If it was money and fame going to his head he'd be walking around thinking he's the GOAT and be an arseh*le all the time would he not?

To me, and I obviously don't know him nor am I around him, but it's like some switch goes off in his head and he changes. He has a good Antonio/bad Antonio thing going on. He's unstable.

Plenty of absolute arrogant and entitled people can come across great when they're trying to look good or things are going well for them but lose it when they feel slighted or they aren't getting their own way.

His outbursts are when he felt (with some merit) slighted by Big Ben, slighted by the Steelers, didn't get his own way with his helmet, and felt slighted by being fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Bad Antonio right there doing stupid stuff.

Then the rest of that episode he was fine. Did he look mad or come across like a pr*ck? I didn't think so.

I don't know, I'm used to seeing how most NFL players act. I don't think he's come across the worst - there's certainly been worse before him (Brian Cushing for example, and I can't remember who but someone on the Cowboys one definitely left me with a poor impression).

Having said that, my fiance who has nowhere near the level of exposure to NFL players' carry-on that I do also watched it this year, and she couldn't stand Antonio Brown. She was cringing every time he was on screen, and called out the choreography of the high school scene too.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

Jofspring wrote: »
    Hard knocks has been terrible this year becasue of what they haven't showed when we all knew there was a lot more gonig on.....their montage of knock on wood was cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

I don't know, I'm used to seeing how most NFL players act. I don't think he's come across the worst - there's certainly been worse before him (Brian Cushing for example, and I can't remember who but someone on the Cowboys one definitely left me with a poor impression).

Having said that, my fiance who has nowhere near the level of exposure to NFL players' carry-on that I do also watched it this year, and she couldn't stand Antonio Brown. She was cringing every time he was on screen, and called out the choreography of the high school scene too.
    Greg Hardy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

OOnegative wrote: »
    https://es.pn/2PR0UCa

Steelers laughing now!!!

Until you can see Belichick getting him for next to nothing and getting him to perform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

dfx- wrote: »
    Until you can see Belichick getting him for next to nothing and getting him to perform.

imagine, next season you could have brady in his last season with a reformed josh Gordon and Antonio brown, we might aswell just give them the Lombardi now.:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭ipitydafool

cosatron wrote: »
    imagine, next season you could have brady in his last season with a reformed josh Gordon and Antonio brown, we might aswell just give them the Lombardi now.:eek::eek:

Can the Patriots afford Brown though, looks like they only have 8mil in cap space this year, Brown was gtd 29mil over 2 years with Raiders so 14 odd mil per year. Now assume there is probably a way to make it work but they look to have enough depth at WR now Gordon is back. If AB is all about the money then he wont go to Patriots even with the chances of SuperBowl ring for a huge hit if he assumes someone else who can give him better comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Can the Patriots afford Brown though, looks like they only have 8mil in cap space this year, Brown was gtd 29mil over 2 years with Raiders so 14 odd mil per year. Now assume there is probably a way to make it work but they look to have enough depth at WR now Gordon is back. If AB is all about the money then he wont go to Patriots even with the chances of SuperBowl ring for a huge hit if he assumes someone else who can give him better comes in.
    You are starting to take this too seriously. It was only a joke.

Some organisation they are running in Oakland. Threaten to assault the GM for quite rightly taking issue with you posting private team communications on the internet and you aren't even suspended. :D

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1170032440271941633

Some organisation they are running in Oakland. Threaten to assault the GM for quite rightly taking issue with you posting private team communications on the internet and you aren't even suspended. :D

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1170032440271941633

Al would have suspended him!!!

I take mike mayock will be resigning soon then ? A player treatens to punch you and that player is now playing and not being suspended. John gruden will come to regret this move.

• Advertisement

That would be deemed terrible parenting to a child, forget dealing with an employee. If they wanted to start giving him fines, they had to have the conviction to follow the disciplinary process through for all activities. You can't 'set a tone' for minor things and then let the same person away with much worse.

Presume it was that apology backed with an ultimatum from his agent, saying that if they suspended him for the first game and it voided his guarantees, then he wasn't playing for them again.

If he plays AB holds all the cards again.

As a raiders fan this is all just utterly depressing.

They should have got rid. Taken the hit on losing a 3rd and 5th and moved on. If that was possible as reported of course.

The worst thing about this is that Mayock and Gruden are appearing just as unprofessional as AB now. They harped on all through draft season about wanted ‘high character guys’. They first back that up by signing AB, Burfict and Incognito. Now this is how they decide to handle this situation.

They say they have a plan. They have no idea.

On the brightside. Only another 8 1/2 years of this left

MrKingsley wrote: »
    As a raiders fan this is all just utterly depressing.

They should have got rid. Taken the hit on losing a 3rd and 5th and moved on. If that was possible as reported of course.

The worst thing about this is that Mayock and Gruden are appearing just as unprofessional as AB now. They harped on all through draft season about wanted ‘high character guys’. They first back that up by signing AB, Burfict and Incognito. Now this is how they decide to handle this situation.

They say they have a plan. They have no idea.

On the brightside. Only another 8 1/2 years of this left
    You're assuming mayock had any choice given that as you say at the end that only 8 1/2 years left of gruden so gruden made this decision.

You're assuming mayock had any choice given that as you say at the end that only 8 1/2 years left of gruden so gruden made this decision.

True. In that case he is in a serious bind. If he walks away(for which I would commend him) then he’s just back working with the network. If he stays he’s a puppet. And he’ll sure as sh1t be taking the rap for it if the 3 first rounders don’t pan out

https://theundefeated.com/features/antonio-brown-thinks-hes-the-victim/

Pro Steelers look on things granted. He’s ruining a great career for himself at present which is a big shame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement