Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I know it's the pro bowl, but how the hell was Siemian invited!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Masked Man wrote: »

I know, a sad indictment of the game, but he honestly showed a lot of promise that year. He just never kicked on, and actually regressed behind a terrible offensive line. He got pummeled, injured his shoulder and got very gun shy.

Give him some protection/time and he will do fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I know, a sad indictment of the game, but he honestly showed a lot of promise that year. He just never kicked on, and actually regressed behind a terrible offensive line. He got pummeled, injured his shoulder and got very gun shy.

Give him some protection/time and he will do fine.
    I was surprised to see your stats I only remember him being poor. Hopefully he can keep the Jets in touch anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Only reason to go the civil route is money, and maybe the satisfaction of getting him suspended.

As already outlined the burden of proof in criminal court is much higher and it may be a very difficult one to get a conviction without physical or other evidence.

That Darnold illness is bad for the Jets. I didn’t know who the backup was until I looked it up, Trevor Siemian, not good.

I imagine civil is because there is not enough evidence for the criminal case which is not unusual in this type of crime (regardless of which side is telling the truth/.

Dolphins have given Minkah Fitzpatrick permission to seek a trade. Once he is gone Xavien Howard will be the only real asset they have left as far as I can see. They are burning the place to the ground entirely and not even trying to hide it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Dolphins have given Minkah Fitzpatrick permission to seek a trade. Once he is gone Xavien Howard will be the only real asset they have left as far as I can see. They are burning the place to the ground entirely and not even trying to hide it.
    It's so obvious that I'm not sure why fans would even turn up. Hope they set records for points/yards conceded this year if they want to tank so badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Christy42 wrote:
    I imagine civil is because there is not enough evidence for the criminal case which is not unusual in this type of crime (regardless of which side is telling the truth/.
    Thing is there was never any report of a criminal accusation so it was never reported to the police.

It's so obvious that I'm not sure why fans would even turn up. Hope they set records for points/yards conceded this year if they want to tank so badly.

Even if you are tanking I don’t see why you’d trade a good young safety like Fitzpatrick who is still on his rookie deal. Fans must be going out of their minds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Masked Man wrote: »

Teddy Bridgewater made it in 2015.

16 games
    65.3 completion
    3,231 yards
    14 TDs
    9 INTS
    88.7 rating.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Thing is there was never any report of a criminal accusation so it was never reported to the police.

And?

This is not even slightly unusual for rape to go unreported and what are the police going to do? They have the messages and his word vs hers. Not enough for a conviction there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Don't you think it's about time they put a chip in the ball?

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1172359229879046144?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A total of 122 players, including eight in their first year of eligibility, comprise the list of Modern-Era player nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2020. The large list of Modern-Era nominees includes only players whose careers ended less than 25 seasons ago. The nominees include 63 offensive players, 43 defensive players, and 16 special teams players.

MODERN-ERA NOMINEES FOR THE PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME CLASS OF 2020

*Finalist in 2019; Underline indicates first year of eligibility.

Quarterbacks
    (7) – Randall Cunningham, Jake Delhomme, Boomer Esiason, Jeff Garcia, Jeff Hostetler, Dave Krieg, Donovan McNabb

Running Backs
    (19) – Shaun Alexander, Mike Alstott (FB), Tiki Barber, Earnest Byner, Larry Centers, Corey Dillon, Eddie George, Priest Holmes, *Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston (FB), Thomas Jones, Maurice Jones-Drew, Eric Metcalf (also WR/KR/PR), Lorenzo Neal (FB), Clinton Portis, Fred Taylor, Herschel Walker (also KR), Chris Warren, Ricky Watters

Wide Receivers
    (12) – *Isaac Bruce, Gary Clark, Donald Driver, Henry Ellard (also PR), Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason, Muhsin Muhammad, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne

Tight Ends
    (6) – Dallas Clark, Ben Coates, Keith Jackson, Brent Jones, Jeremy Shockey, Wesley Walls

Offensive Linemen
    (19) – Willie Anderson (T), Matt Birk (C), *Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Ray Donaldson (C), *Alan Faneca (G), Kevin Gogan (G/T), Jordan Gross (T), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), *Steve Hutchinson (G), Lincoln Kennedy (T/G), Olin Kreutz (C), Chris Samuels (T), Jeff Saturday (C), Brian Waters (G), Richmond Webb (T), Erik Williams (T), Steve Wisniewski (G) 

Defensive Linemen
    (11) – John Abraham (DE also LB), La’Roi Glover (DT/NT), Casey Hampton (DT/NT), Chester McGlockton (DT), Leslie O’Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), *Richard Seymour (DT),
    Justin Smith (DE), Neil Smith (DE), Greg Townsend (DT/NT), Bryant Young (DT)

Linebackers
    (17) – Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Lance Briggs, Tedy Bruschi, James Farrior, London Fletcher, Seth Joyner, Wilber Marshall, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Sam Mills, Chris Spielman, Takeo Spikes, Darryl Talley, Zach Thomas, Jessie Tuggle, Patrick Willis

Defensive Backs
    (15) – Eric Allen (CB), *Steve Atwater (S), Ronde Barber (CB/S), LeRoy Butler (S),
    Nick Collins (S), Merton Hanks (S), Rodney Harrison (S), Albert Lewis (CB), *John Lynch (S), Terry McDaniel (CB), Tim McDonald (S), Troy Polamalu (SS), Bob Sanders (S),
    Troy Vincent (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

Punters/Kickers
    (11) – David Akers (K), Gary Anderson (K), Jason Elam (K), Jeff Feagles (P),
    Jason Hanson (K), Sean Landeta (P), Ryan Longwell (K), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P), Rohn Stark (P), Matt Turk (P)

Special Teams
    (5) – Johnny Bailey (PR/KR also RB), Josh Cribbs (KR/PR also WR), Mel Gray (PR/KR also WR), Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Steve Tasker (ST also WR)

The modern day list of players eligible to be one of 5 inducted into the 2020 HOF class which will have 15 more added to the 5 modern inductees as always.

So five of those listed above will be inducted next August. None really jump out at me as nailed on to be in. I do hope Randell Cunningham gets in as besides being an eagles QB I think he deserves to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Surely Polamalu would get in?

Well yeah but this isn't his first year I don't think. I knew of the class being 20 inductees but I had assumed there were more modern ones then normal. The fact there is still five makes it not as easy for Troy to get in. Lots of players on that list would/should get in RDS but that's not how it works.

Christy42 wrote:
    This is not even slightly unusual for rape to go unreported and what are the police going to do? They have the messages and his word vs hers. Not enough for a conviction there.
    Well there certainly be won't be enough for a conviction if it's not reported. If the Police investigate and the DA doesn't feel there is enough for a conviction that's one thing but not reporting it is a whole other level.

• Advertisement

Don't you think it's about time they put a chip in the ball?
    No I'm against it. There is enough technology already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Who cares how much technology is used, surely it's a matter of how well it is used and how it helps improve the game.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well yeah but this isn't his first year I don't think. I knew of the class being 20 inductees but I had assumed there were more modern ones then normal. The fact there is still five makes it not as easy for Troy to get in. Lots of players on that list would/should get in RDS but that's not how it works.

This is Troy’s first year of eligibility. I would have thought he was a lock as well but I’m not as au fait with the way it works as you are. He is a cert to get in at some stage I’d imagine

This is Troy’s first year of eligibility. I would have thought he was a lock as well but I’m not as au fait with the way it works as you are. He is a cert to get in at some stage I’d imagine
    Oh he's absolutely a HOfer it's just being a first ballot HOFer isnt that common.

Tristram wrote: »
    Who cares how much technology is used, surely it's a matter of how well it is used and how it helps improve the game.
    Sure instant replay was brought in to stop obvious mistakes happening and even with it you'd wonder what the hell the ref saw at times.

• Advertisement

Well there certainly be won't be enough for a conviction if it's not reported. If the Police investigate and the DA doesn't feel there is enough for a conviction that's one thing but not reporting it is a whole other level.

What bit of difference does it make to whether or not it happened? That is the most ridiculous reason to throw out a case.

We want people to report these more often but anytime it comes up the most ridiculous reasons are used to argue against it. They should look at actual evidence as to whether or not it happened. We had the case of the US gymnast trainer which took years to come out. It still happened.

Again there are many reasons why a woman would not report immediately, shame, fear, stress of the entire process. Remember we had a case recently with a woman's underwear paraded around the courtroom as a measure of her character. The states is not better and woman sometimes need to think before putting themselves through that.

Not saying it did or didn't happen in this case.

Christy42 wrote:
    We want people to report these more often but anytime it comes up the most ridiculous reasons are used to argue against it. They should look at actual evidence as to whether or not it happened.
    If you are taking a civil case then obviously none of the reasons mentioned in your post apply.
    Another thing, if you report a case to the police then your name gets protected. Thank s girl doesn't even care about that.
    For me it stinks.
    I'm not saying it did or didn't happen but in today's social media world it doesn't matter now to AB. Antonio Brown's reputation has been badly tarnished by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Antonio Brown's reputation has been badly tarnished by this.

His reputation was well tarnished long before this!!

OOnegative wrote:
    His reputation was well tarnished long before this!!
    Not in that way though.

If you are taking a civil case then obviously none of the reasons mentioned in your post apply.
    Another thing, if you report a case to the police then your name gets protected. Thank s girl doesn't even care about that.
    For me it stinks.
    I'm not saying it did or didn't happen but in today's social media world it doesn't matter now to AB. Antonio Brown's reputation has been badly tarnished by this.

No just the ridiculous reason of dismissing a case because it is a civil case. Again you don't know her reasoning for the civil case but it already "stinks".

We know next to nothing about this but already the focus is on her and her every decision. When/if AB countersues that will look at that (I know he has said he would but sure they always say that, I reckon he wants this gone asap).

I am surprised she hasn't protected her name but that is her own choice and unless you know her reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I see Gronk believe's he has 'fixed' his CTE. Probably points to it being more likely to return this season, but that kind of misinformation on brain injury is absolutely toxic. We're going to end up with an idiotic anti-vax type brigade related to CTE.

https://twitter.com/RobGronkowski/status/1172552372415021057

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I see Gronk believe's he has 'fixed' his CTE. Probably points to it being more likely to return this season, but that kind of misinformation on brain injury is absolutely toxic. We're going to end up with an idiotic anti-vax type brigade related to CTE.

Maybe the tb12 witch doctor is promising this? Can't imagine the actual medics are saying this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Christy42 wrote: »

Maybe the tb12 witch doctor is promising this? Can't imagine the actual medics are saying this.
    Worse again, gronk said this in response to Chris Nowinski, who runs the brain encephalopathy centre at Boston University that has been studying cte in footballers for years. You can decide yourself who's the more credible I suppose. But nobody who values their medical license will be agreeing with gronk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Chris Nowinski... The former WWF/E wrestler Chris Nowinski....

Only kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Pat Mcafee hopes not never forget how he moved over to the c gap ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Was half expecting there to be a product plug at the end of that a la Russell Wilson’s “concussion water.”

Gregg Williams is doing some revisionist history when it comes to his previous issues regarding targeting of players ie bountygate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Weird, Wacky and Awesome, 100 years of Franchises in the NFL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovdbrdCIP7U

An interesting note from Ian rappaport on NFL game day morning. He's reporting that there is an NFL rookie player who was a witness to the alleged incidents that Antonio brown has a civil case against him. He didn't say who it was but depending on what that person says could dictate how the NFL move forward with this latest thing with AB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

An interesting note from Ian rappaport on NFL game day morning. He's reporting that there is an NFL rookie player who was a witness to the alleged incidents that Antonio brown has a civil case against him. He didn't say who it was but depending on what that person says could dictate how the NFL move forward with this latest thing with AB.

Has to be his cousin Marquise you'd think.

And he's hardly going to say anything to incriminate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Miami were an absolute disgrace today, utterly pointless game. If I was an anyway decent player there I'd be looking for a way out. I feel for Rosen most in all this, first getting shafted in Arizona last year and now again in Miami, and he'll be gone next off-season when they take most likely take Tua.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Miami were an absolute disgrace today, utterly pointless game. If I was an anyway decent player there I'd be looking for a way out. I feel for Rosen most in all this, first getting shafted in Arizona last year and now again in Miami, and he'll be gone next off-season when they take most likely take Tua.

That stadium will be empty for the next home game and as you said I can see so many players wanting out, I'd love to take Minkah Fitzpatrick off them, would really help our secondary (eagles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why did they spend a second round pick on draft night on Rosen? Given their subsequent moves it made absolutely no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

It's all part of the "the process" and horrifyingly you need to do it for a couple of years.

I would lie to see the NFL introduce a lottery for the #1 pick if this is the sort of thing that ends up gaming the system and being rewarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

2 home games to open the season:
    Dolphins 10
    Opponents 102

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Miami now go to Dallas and host the Chargers before a Week 5 bye.

Difficult to see them winning either. The Dallas trip could be a 40-50 pointer.

Their run-in is where they could pick up one or two wins:

@ NYJ
    @ NYG
    Vs CIN
    @ NE (Week 17 - NE might play the U16s in that one!)

Miami now go to Dallas and host the Chargers before a Week 5 bye.

Difficult to see them winning either. The Dallas trip could be a 40-50 pointer.

Their run-in is where they could pick up one or two wins:

@ NYJ
    @ NYG
    Vs CIN
    @ NE (Week 17 - NE might play the U16s in that one!)

I struggle to see them picking up wins even there. Even vs the NE U16s, especially in New England. I really think they are several levels below anything the NFL has seen in a while.

Any game with <30 points against should be considered a win for them.

Look at players for both sides. The likes of Barklay, Engram, Adams, Bell, Green, Mixon whichever starting Pat's needs some gametime.

Dolphins have Xavier Howard. End of list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Dolphins are diving so deep they should be called whales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Surely there’s some kind of by-law to penalise them for failing to field a competitive side? There is in most sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Surely there’s some kind of by-law to penalise them for failing to field a competitive side? There is in most sports.

You should check out MLB if you think fielding an uncompetitive side is an issue for the NFL. It’s an issue too in the NBA I think although I don’t follow that league too closely.

But it’s a real tactic in baseball and in Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros, it has been rewarded with Championships.

• Advertisement

You should check out MLB if you think fielding an uncompetitive side is an issue for the NFL. It’s an issue too in the NBA I think although I don’t follow that league too closely.

But it’s a real tactic in baseball and in Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros, it has been rewarded with Championships.

Should it be a real issue? I mean it can't happen in a lot of sports because the team would just get relegated and simply forgotten about.

However the Dolphins losing by 30+ for the season can't be great for the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Doogs27

Christy42 wrote: »
    Should it be a real issue? I mean it can't happen in a lot of sports because the team would just get relegated and simply forgotten about.

However the Dolphins losing by 30+ for the season can't be great for the NFL.

I can understand tanking for a generational talent in basketball like LeBron, maybe Zion - remains to be seen.

But take this dolphins tank, are they going for Tua? Is he generational? will someone emerge like Barkley during the college season etc? KC didn't tank and still ended up with someone who will change the face of their franchise if he remains healthy.

If we look at the Giants, Barkley is already top tier RB in the league but he could go ten years without ever having a good team built around him. Tanking properly in the NFL probably takes multiple years and leaves scars for fan bases in the process. And what are the guarantees that you'll be good after tanking....who knows, not really ... .. I guess we'll know a little more after tonight's game.

Doogs27 wrote: »
    I can understand tanking for a generational talent in basketball like LeBron, maybe Zion - remains to be seen.

But take this dolphins tank, are they going for Tua? Is he generational? will someone emerge like Barkley during the college season etc? KC didn't tank and still ended up with someone who will change the face of their franchise if he remains healthy.

If we look at the Giants, Barkley is already top tier RB in the league but he could go ten years without ever having a good team built around him. Tanking properly in the NFL probably takes multiple years and leaves scars for fan bases in the process. And what are the guarantees that you'll be good after tanking....who knows, not really ... .. I guess we'll know a little more after tonight's game.

I mean if you can convince the Dolphins of that then fine. However they are going for it whether or not it will help. This just makes for dumb matches in the NFL.

Indeed from their point of view what was the alternative? More years of mediocrity?

I mean how much of the Mahomes pick was luck and how much was skill (drafting and coaching- something which is far too undervalued in the NFL). I haven't seen anything that had Mahomes as the best in that draft class before the draft. The Chiefs obviously rated him higher given most had him 3/4th QB off the board and they took him as the 2nd. Would they have taken him over Mitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

rife in basketball too. the 76'ers blatantly did it for 4/5 years , and are now one of the favourites for the upcoming NBA season after tanking for years. FFS even their own player were saying trust 'the process'

details here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Big Ben out for season for Steelers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement