Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So drew Brees won’t play for at least six weeks. Big Ben is done for the year, and Eli Manning May have one foot out of the starting QB in New York.

Also any word on James Connor for the Steelers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Wonder if that's the last we see of Roethlisberger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Wonder if that's the last we see of Roethlisberger?

Would not surprise me at all if he doesn’t make it back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

2smiggy wrote: »
    rife in basketball too. the 76'ers blatantly did it for 4/5 years , and are now one of the favourites for the upcoming NBA season after tanking for years. FFS even their own player were saying trust 'the process'

details here

That was the final straw. They’ve changed the draft system since. New York Knicks had the worst NBA record by far this year & only got the 3rd puck due to the lottery system. New Orleans had the 5/6th worst record or there abouts and received the 1st overall pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Stayed up and watched the first half of MNF, possibly the worst NFL game I have seen. The Jets are down to their 3rd choice QB after a nasty looking injury to Simien. Browns don't look much better. Bed is a better option I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

two weeks in and 4 qb's down, 2 done for the season. I say the saints are sick to the teeth of the rams at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Hococop wrote: »
    I'd love to take Minkah Fitzpatrick off them, would really help our secondary (eagles)

Gone to Steelers for a first rounder

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also any word on James Connor for the Steelers ?

Bruising only and will play Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Even though I'm a big fan of Fitzpatrick, I feel that the trade by the Steelers could come back to hurt them down the line. I would hope they are extremely confident that Rudolph is the guy to take over from Ben, otherwise they've likely given up a top 10 or even top 5 draft pick in a year that will likely have a number of very promising QBs. With Connor looking like he is made of glass, if Rudolph doesn't perform their season could continue to go down hill very quickly.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Even though I'm a big fan of Fitzpatrick, I feel that the trade by the Steelers could come back to hurt them down the line. I would hope they are extremely confident that Rudolph is the guy to take over from Ben, otherwise they've likely given up a top 10 or even top 5 draft pick in a year that will likely have a number of very promising QBs. With Connor looking like he is made of glass, if Rudolph doesn't perform their season could continue to go down hill very quickly.

I’d agree. It’s exceptionally risky. If Rudolph bombs they may have given up the golden ticket, they must strongly believe he is going to be good.

They really need the D to step up and get some stops now. The DC Keith Butler has been under fire for years but he can’t have any excuses any more with all the resources gone in there.

All you can ask of Rudolph for this season is to be a game manager in a more balanced offence. Ben wanted to throw on every single down and it was becoming predictable and leading to turnovers. They need Conner healthy like you say, he can’t seem to finish a game let alone stay healthy for a stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Gone to Steelers for a first rounder

I understand trading the old players for 1st round draft choices (any not on rookie contracts), but he's only a second year player, and a good one at that. Surely you need to keep players like that around. They now need to pick a Safety next year, and will be lucky to get one as good as him.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I understand trading the old players for 1st round draft choices (any not on rookie contracts), but he's only a second year player, and a good one at that. Surely you need to keep players like that around. They now need to pick a Safety next year, and will be lucky to get one as good as him.

It depends how tanking you want to go. If they're planning for 2 years of being absolutely terrible and another of being middle of the road then if they choose to keep him they'd be looking at the end of his contract at that point. After 1 game in he was complaining about what he was asked to do so it is unlikely he would stay quiet for 3 years on a terrible roster and end up sitting out or demanding a trade, which would likely mean the Dolphins might not get the same return for him. Similarly, on a terrible team, he'll likely get beating badly on a regular basis, so again his value is never going to be as high as right now.

It isn't like they're giving him away for nothing, this is trending towards being a prime pick. With the number of good QBs likely available in the next, the Dolphins may have 2 picks in the top 5/10 which they could turn into even more picks. It's a gamble from their side but that is what aggressive tanking is

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

So just so I'm up to date. Since Sunday the following has happened:

-Big Ben is done for the season
    -drew brees is out for up to two months
    - Eli manning is benched for the rookie QB
    - Trevor simien is now out for the year after starting last night because Sam Darnold was quarantined in his own house
    - And cam newtons status is up in the air over the foot injury he being reacrivated.

It's been a mad couple of days in NFL land hasn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

- Trevor simien is now out for the year after starting last night because Sam Darnold was quarantined in his own house
    - And cam newtons status is up in the air over the foot injury he being reacrivated.

...and Tom Brady marches on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Nick Foles is down for the season as well.

Edit: Sorry, missed that your post said since Sunday! Foles is less relevant.

I reckon they flat out lied about the foot injury. That was always bothering him this season. There is no way they don't use him to run more otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

It depends how tanking you want to go. If they're planning for 2 years of being absolutely terrible and another of being middle of the road then if they choose to keep him they'd be looking at the end of his contract at that point. After 1 game in he was complaining about what he was asked to do so it is unlikely he would stay quiet for 3 years on a terrible roster and end up sitting out or demanding a trade, which would likely mean the Dolphins might not get the same return for him. Similarly, on a terrible team, he'll likely get beating badly on a regular basis, so again his value is never going to be as high as right now.

It isn't like they're giving him away for nothing, this is trending towards being a prime pick. With the number of good QBs likely available in the next, the Dolphins may have 2 picks in the top 5/10 which they could turn into even more picks. It's a gamble from their side but that is what aggressive tanking is
    Fitzpatrick wanted out of Miami - he wanted to play his preferred position - the Dolphins wanted to play him across all secondary positions and ILB - they made him learn six positions and he had enough.

Fitzpatrick wanted out of Miami - he wanted to play his preferred position - the Dolphins wanted to play him across all secondary positions and ILB - they made him learn six positions and he had enough.

Many players train in multiple positions and don't ask for a trade, some have claimed it helps their overall game by doing it when they're young. I'm sure it is easier to do so you're on a winning team, rather than one that is likely to be a dumpster fire for the foreseeable future. Same as Ramsey, who is currently complaining about playing too much zone but will be fine if he gets traded to a winning team and gets paid.

One of the criticisms about Fitzpatrick coming out was that though he was a great player that could play multiple positions, there was questions about him being elite in any single one of them. Dolphins might have been trying to find his best position, but it will probably help him now to likely just focus on one with the Steelers (hoping they chose the right one).

• Advertisement

He has also said he likes to model himself after Malcom Jenkins who plays saftey/slot and linebacker. I think he just wanted out if Miami to be honest

Chad Kelly hype train takes another hit, has been released by the Colts the first time he'd have to go on their 53 man roster post suspension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

On to the practice squad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Interesting article in the Guardian today, detailing the history of Black QBs in the NFL. Not sure I agree with all the points, but there's some nice historical stuff in there and a great old picture of Marlon Briscoe

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/20/black-quarterbacks-history-stereotypes

Interesting article in the Guardian today, detailing the history of Black QBs in the NFL. Not sure I agree with all the points, but there's some nice historical stuff in there and a great old picture of Marlon Briscoe

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/20/black-quarterbacks-history-stereotypes

It is kind of weird how people get fixed in views. In terms of a black QB is a running QB etc.

Even CMC had coaches trying to move him away from running back because he was white. People want to see what they expect.

I think center has similar race issues as they call a lot of the blocking (and was I believe the most highly paid in the online at one point I believe). Obviously left tackle has taken over it in terms of value which is a bit more mixed.

AB at it again. Now trying to intimidate one of the latest women to come out with a story about him, which is obviously against NFL player conduct policy. Really doesn't look like signing for the Patriots has stopped him from continuing his idiocy.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/19/antonio-brown-accuser-text-messages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

AB is a clown. An unnamed source accuses you of doing something dodgy but nothing further was to come of it, no legal action. Common sense would be ignore it and this incident will blow over in a week or so. But AB decides to send her stupid texts. The intimidation factor is a little overblown in NFL terms, especially if you compare this to the Tyreek Hill intimation that the NFL took no action on so I don’t see how this changes his standing with the NFL but he just adds more distraction for no reason.

Hazys wrote: »
    AB is a clown. An unnamed source accuses you of doing something dodgy but nothing further was to come of it, no legal action. Common sense would be ignore it and this incident will blow over in a week or so. But AB decides to send her stupid texts. The intimidation factor is a little overblown in NFL terms, especially if you compare this to the Tyreek Hill intimation that the NFL took no action on so I don’t see how this changes his standing with the NFL but he just adds more distraction for no reason.

Playing the 'but look what that other guy got away with' game with NFL discipline will drive a person crazy and is poor practice in judging someone's actions.

Sending a picture of a person's kids into a group chat with you and a bunch of strangers and telling them to look into them is textbook intimidation. I'd be surprised if anyone here would be downplaying it if it was their kids.

The most ridiculous part is that his lawyer was one of the people in the group. Presumably they are paid by the hour so just saw more dollar signs when those messages came through.

Nike have dropped AB

Those texts are really strange if genuine. He should just let his legal people deal with all this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nike have dropped AB
    Who really cares what Nike do? I know I couldn't care less what a greedy conglomerate does.
    I'm not backing AB here in any way, in fact I'd be happy to see the Patriots cut him. Just that the Nike thing isn't even important imo. Of course it'll cost AB money but to the average it isn't even newsworthy imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

$9 million for a touchdown

Which team will be next for the roller-coaster? Seahawks were in touch last time which I would not be ideal for the NFC West for the few games before he does something else crazy

$9 million for a touchdown

I'd say those texts were enough to claw back that signing bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He's surely done for at least this season until people can see how it all shakes out. Can't see anyone wanting that one-man circus coming to town right now. He'll be back though, all he did was threaten a GM, possibly rape and assault a woman, threaten a woman, and possibly bring the league into disrepute. It's not like he knelt down during a song or some sht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just how incredibly stupid can you actually be. Golden chance to play on the favourites for the super bowl, the assault claim goes away and then you go off and send texts. I’m actually starting to believe those cte claims now

I’m glad he is cut. Don’t need these distractions and having to deal with his BS constantly.

It was high risk, it didn’t work out, lose $9m not my money so I don’t care. Pats will be more than fine without him.

Just how incredibly stupid can you actually be. Golden chance to play on the favourites for the super bowl, the assault claim goes away and then you go off and send texts. I’m actually starting to believe those cte claims now

Exactly, If he didn’t send those texts, the artist story would have went away by itself.

The more serious accusations after the accuser met with the NFL and nothing more came of it was probably done in the short term as the civil suit may not be resolved for years. So all he had to do was keep his nose clean for a couple of weeks and it wouldn’t be such a prominent story. It’s possible he’s completely innocent of those acquisitions and all he had to do was ride it out for a couple of months but he’s too much of a clown for that.

AB Is surely done for this season and maybe more after the latest carry on.

If he has mental health issues he needs to go away and get those addressed and he needs his agent and his family's help to get him on the right track. If however he doesn't have any mental health issues then he needs to grow up to **** and start acting in a responsible way and stop having people around him who will never pull him up on any of the stupid things he's done recently. It's clear the steelers weren't they issue and neither was Big Ben. Antonio brown is issue.

• Advertisement

He's surely done for at least this season until people can see how it all shakes out. Can't see anyone wanting that one-man circus coming to town right now. He'll be back though, all he did was threaten a GM, possibly rape and assault a woman, threaten a woman, and possibly bring the league into disrepute. It's not like he knelt down during a song or some sht.

I don’t think he’ll be put on the Commissioners exemption list as it’s a dangerous precedent to set but AB made Goodells problem a lot easier to handle as nobody is going to touch him now so the exemption list is not needed.

AB Is surely done for this season and maybe more after the latest carry on.

If he has mental health issues he needs to go away and get those addressed and he needs his agent and his family's help to get him on the right track. If however he doesn't have any mental health issues then he needs to grow up to **** and start acting in a responsible way and stop having people around him who will never pull him up on any of the stupid things he's done recently. It's clear the steelers weren't they issue and neither was Big Ben. Antonio brown is issue.

The fact that AB has completely lost his mind doesn't make Big Ben innocent of going on TV and throwing AB under the bus, to try to take attention away from his own error that cost the team a game.

It is hard to tell whether the Steelers organization either worked miracles to keep him under control for all those years or that their treatment of him helped to create the madman we see today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Next stop XFL?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hazys wrote: »
    I don’t think he’ll be put on the Commissioners exemption list as it’s a dangerous precedent to set but AB made Goodells problem a lot easier to handle as nobody is going to touch him now so the exemption list is not needed.

I've thought that before about players and been wrong...

The fact that AB has completely lost his mind doesn't make Big Ben innocent of going on TV and throwing AB under the bus, to try to take attention away from his own error that cost the team a game.

It is hard to tell whether the Steelers organization either worked miracles to keep him under control for all those years or that their treatment of him helped to create the madman we see today.

I don’t think he was this bad in Pittsburgh to be fair. I think Tomlin facilitated his eccentricities to an extent, but no way would they have put up with his current behaviour. He had no real friends in the locker room there by all accounts but his performances on the field were so good that nothing else really mattered.

According to accounts that Ive read it only started to get really weird in 2017 when he showed up with a camera crew following him around. Then there was the furniture incident, crazy speeding etc and it just seemed to escalate by the week.

And yes, Ben is far from perfect, Bell also had genuine grievances after he left.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Who really cares what Nike do? I know I couldn't care less what a greedy conglomerate does.
    I'm not backing AB here in any way, in fact I'd be happy to see the Patriots cut him. Just that the Nike thing isn't even important imo. Of course it'll cost AB money but to the average it isn't even newsworthy imo.

Couldn’t give a fook what Nike do either, it was just a general comment. They went out of their way to disassociate themselves from AB. Generally when these big companies start cutting you loose it’s not a good sign. That’s all I was saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The Raiders are in the market for a receiver.

They should give AB's agent a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

AB was due to get the first part of his bonus on Monday. Unlikely he gets any of it due to not making the Patriots aware that he could be investigated and banned over the sexual assault accusations. Clause in his contract States that he must let his employer know of anything that might affect his availability to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Was hoping nobody would touch him after the Raiders cut him. But he could be back in the league again this season, free agent, a couple of apologies, and someone could pick him up. Hope no one does, but I reckon it may happen.
    I don't think it's anything to do with CTE, it's just who he is. He's gotten away with stuff so often that it doesn't register that there's serious consequences.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    AB was due to get the first part of his bonus on Monday. Unlikely he gets any of it due to not making the Patriots aware that he could be investigated and banned over the sexual assault accusations. Clause in his contract States that he must let his employer know of anything that might affect his availability to play.

Did he know about the allegation before it?

I mean presumably he knew of the incident but if is to be assumed innocent then how he could have known the allegation was coming?

Anyway it didn't affect his ability to play. He was left off the exemption list and played with that cloud over him. But he still played and I see no reason he would not have been available if the Pats had not cut him.

Advertisement