Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pats fans chose to react.
    Well I guess I'm a Pats fan now, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Actually @munstermagic11 argued that Brady playing at a high standard is more important than him taking significantly below his 'market value' - I would dispute that.

Again my point you created your own argument.

And I would agree - having Brady and having a winning team is an enticement for FAs (again this contracdicts mmagic who argued that it is harder to put together a team when you keep winning championships.

He said Draft not FA
    It's also a lot more difficult to draft and put a team together when you make it to 12 AFC Championship games

Which is true when you constantly sit in the last picks in the draft harder to find that quality that you may need.
    My arguments were not targeted at Pats fans at all - I was making a point - Pats fans chose to react.

Sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Billy86 wrote: »

I'd jump now while you can. Can I come too?

Welcome aboard :D

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd jump now while you can. Can I come too?

More the merrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

For reference, while he was quite cheap for a bit Tom Bradys cap number was bigger tha Rodgers this year and last. If I'm correct it was bigger than former mvps Cam Newton and Matt Ryan also, was more than any non QB and about 10th or so in the league. This year it is only a bit 4mn behind he second highest on the league (Garopollo is about 10mn higher again but a complete outlier and SF really wanted him and had tonnes of space to pay big now).

That said, I'm quite sure those numbers are from before Mack, Donald and Rodgers' deals of the last few days are taken into account. But this year and last there is no major advantage that existed a few seasons back... how did the Pats do last year again? Oh right, yet another Superbowl appearance. If I'm correct they are favourites or 2nd favourites again this year behind the Eagles.

EDIT: Correction - it is this year and next year I was thinking of, not last year and this year:
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/ (11th highest overall)
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2019/cap-hit/ (5th highest overall)

Aaron Rodgers cap numbers -

$17,550,000 13.2%
    $18,250,000 12.7%
    $19,250,000 12.4%
    $20,300,000 12.2%
    $20,900,000 11.8%
    $26,500,000 13.9%

Tom Brady cap numbers

$14,800,000 11.1%
    $14,000,000 9.8%
    $13,764,706 8.9%
    $14,000,000 8.4%
    $22,000,000 12.4%
    $27,000,000 14.2%

Since 2014 Brady's cap hit is $18million less than Rodgers - and the only reason he is higher than Rodgers in 2018 and 2019 is because Rodgers got $57.5million up front when he signed his extension. Rodgers cap hit in 2020 is $32.6million (and it increases in subsequent years).

The best QB saving an average of $3.6million a year in cap space over the second best QB in the league will significantly help your team.

By the way - these are the cap numbers for Joe Flacco

$14,800,000 11.1%
    $14,550,000 10.2%
    $22,550,000 14.5%
    $24,550,000 14.7%
    $24,750,000 14.0%
    $26,500,000 13.9%

Over the same 5 year period Brady has a lower cap hit than Joe Flacco to the tune of over $22million.

You are incorrect about Cam Newton - since 2015 - 2018 (the year Newton was out of his rookie contract) Brady is $14million lower.

You are also incorrect about Matt Ryan - 2014 - 2018 - Brady is $24million lower.

(all numbers from overthecap)

None of this takes into account what Brady could actually be making if he took 'market value'.

You can be whatever you want to be Billy - who am I to object

(and my comment about Pats fans was specifically directed at Toss - who cannot refrain from commenting about anything I post on the forum)

You can be whatever you want to be Billy - who am I to object

(and my comment about Pats fans was specifically directed at Toss - who cannot refrain from commenting about anything I post on the forum)

No I can but I choose not to because its fun when you flip flop with your obsession with the Patriots. The fact you are even debating this shows your obsession remains strong. You talk more about the Pats this time of year than Pats fans do. Its hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Brett Kollman posted this video and excerpt to reddit.
    With the start of a new season upon us in just a few short days, I wanted to take some time to reflect on this past year and celebrate the game we all love. The football world has certainly been through a lot since last September - from various PR nightmares, to confusing rule changes, to seemingly endless political controversies. But beneath all of the drama and all of the tension, there has also always remained that same innate magic that keeps drawing us back in every single fall.

It is that unbelievable magic - that constant emotional roller coaster of hope, despair, and triumph - that I want to re-live with all of you today. I want us all to remember why we love this game so much, and why no matter how divided we are from Mondays to Saturdays, on Sundays we all pass the wings, crack a beer, and cheer as one unified nation.

The NFL has indeed been transformed into a symbol of change in America - whether willingly or not - but at its core, it is also a symbol of what has stayed the same. This country was founded on principles of determination, tenacity, and fighting harder for the man next to you than for yourself. Regardless of where we stand on certain issues, or what teams we root for, those principles are still the lifeblood of this league. They've always been here, and they always will be.

So as we set off down the road to Atlanta and Super Bowl 53, just remember what this game represents. Remember the battles, remember the magic, and most importantly remember the unity. We've got 22 Sundays left before that road reaches its end - so cherish them while you can. Thank you all for watching.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/9cvypd/oc_ive_finally_finished_a_dream_project_of_mine_a/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DM1292

Seahawks are finishing bottom of the NFC West.

Don't @ me.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

DM1292 wrote: »
    Seahawks are finishing bottom of the NFC West.

Don't @ me.. :P

They will now Earl Thomas is headed to Dallas at long last

Poor Wilson is going to get the head knocked off him. Poor Guy.

brinty wrote: »
    They will now Earl Thomas is headed to Dallas at long last

Talk about gutting a team - nearly as bad as Gruden in Oakland.

Russell Wilson must be wondering what is happening to his career.

Broncos play the Seahawks this week - couldn't have come at a better time.

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    No I can but I choose not to because its fun when you flip flop with your obsession with the Patriots. The fact you are even debating this shows your obsession remains strong. You talk more about the Pats this time of year than Pats fans do. Its hilarious.

Like I said - no restraint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

Knex. wrote: »

Thats a a pro-click video. Really gets the excitement building for the upcoming season!

• Advertisement

Like I said - no restraint.

If I have no restraint then this is the Pot calling the Kettle Black really. You could ignore me but guess what you wont because you can't help yourself.

Besides you ignored the facts and glossed over the part where you were wrong. Nothing new there.
    You Said - And I would agree - having Brady and having a winning team is an enticement for FAs (again this contracdicts mmagic who argued that it is harder to put together a team when you keep winning championships.

He said Draft not FA
    What Munster actually said - It's also a lot more difficult to draft and put a team together when you make it to 12 AFC Championship games

Which is true when you constantly sit in the last picks in the draft harder to find that quality that you may need.

You made an argument out of something someone never said. But hey well done.

Comedy gold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Jesus lads, let's not have every thread descend into a Patriots fans vs. JRG yawn fest.

DM1292 wrote: »
    Poor Wilson is going to get the head knocked off him. Poor Guy.

We might need a franchise QB in Dallas next year... could maybe make a deal with Seattle again... ;)

brinty wrote: »
    We might need a franchise QB in Dallas next year... could maybe make a deal with Seattle again... ;)

There's no doubt he's great, and Dallas would be a great landing spot for him. Cowboys O-Line, Zeke in the backfield & a mobile QB swinging it. All you'll need is a standout WR in the draft & oofff now there's a standout offense.

D9Male wrote: »
    Jesus lads, let's not have every thread descend into a Patriots fans vs. JRG yawn fest.

To be fair Its not all Pats fans just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Fair enough.

But please, stop.

If I have no restraint then this is the Pot calling the Kettle Black really. You could ignore me but guess what you wont because you can't help yourself.

Besides you ignored the facts and glossed over the part where you were wrong. Nothing new there.
    What facts have I ignored?

He said Draft not FA

You made an argument out of something someone never said. But hey well done.

Comedy gold
    As you quoted yourself - he said 'draft AND put a team together' - now are you suggesting that you can put a team together just through the draft or is the AND relevant here.

That may not have been what mmagic intended - but that is what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

The man behind the Captain Luck account.

https://twitter.com/Colts/status/1037009916957876225

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Fair enough.

But please, stop.
    Do you own the thread?
    There's a hide button.
    You could extort self will and not read the messages.
    Or report.
    Or maybe stop trying to be a mod?

This, this, a hundred times this.

Every time, the same old game, JRG pops up to comment on something or other and a few Pats fans go for him. I have no idea of he deserves it or not, the origins of the feud are buried in time, but it's very tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Anyone have any good jokes to deflate the tension in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think everyone just needs the football to start.

Oat23 wrote: »

The Bears have the Superbowl wrapped up already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nate Peterman’s starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

This, this, a hundred times this.

Every time, the same old game, JRG pops up to comment on something or other and a few Pats fans go for him. I have no idea of he deserves it or not, the origins of the feud are buried in time, but it's very tedious.
    Ah, I see you are doing this again.
    You actually asked this before, and you were informed that someone was banned from the Pats thread for a reason. This one stared when someone stated that others were living in cloud-cuckoo land, for something they didn't even say.
    But you want to include all Pats fans when it's a two person debate? Maybe focus on that for a bit.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote:
    The Bears have the Superbowl wrapped up already.

That worked
    Lol

The man behind the Captain Luck account.

That's brilliant

Ah, I see you are doing this again.
    You actually asked this before, and you were informed that someone was banned from the Pats thread for a reason. This one stared when someone stated that others were living in cloud-cuckoo land, for something they didn't even say.
    But you want to include all Pats fans when it's a two person debate? Maybe focus on that for a bit.

For starters, you've ignored the fact that it's not just me who perceives a Pats fans v JRG issue. I was responding to another poster who referred to it.

But it is amusing to see Pats fans who've had a go at JRG denying its (largely, there may be exceptions) Pats fans v JRG issue.

Either way, it's tedious.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Guys lets have a stop to the back and forth bickering. It's getting tiresome for everyone. If you can't ignore one another then please take it to PM.

Oh and for what its wroth the Bronocs jokes that some have complained about look at the amount of like on some of them. To blame a "Few Pats Fans" is just nonsense at best also. Banter when people make bold or weird claims has been around a long time. Are we now going to go all PC and push the banter out also.

I love Broncos jokes - I have plenty about McDisaster (but won't post them for obvious reasons) - but I am looking to replenish my stash about goofy if you have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Think starting Peterman is the best option by the Bills.

I actually rate him higher than others, but he'll never be able to put that disaster behind him. Unfortunately for him that O-Line this year is butter so I don't expect him to light it up.

Fortunately for Bills fans Josh Allen wont be getting smashed apart beginning the season.

Best way I saw it described was someone said they should just go ahead and award the Purple Heart to whichever QB won that battle to start!

WzYiQnM.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I don't know if you guys are aware but Jay Cutler is on his wife's reality show and its hilarious how much he doesn't give a fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

I see the usual sites have their power rankings up before the season begins.
    Here's what they predicted at the start of last season for the eventual NFC playoff teams:

Falcons: 3
    Saints: 18
    Eagles: 19
    Vikings: 20
    Panthers: 23
    Rams: 29

Just proves the utter pointlessness of these rankings. Why bother.

• Advertisement

Lionbacker wrote: »
    I see the usual sites have their power rankings up before the season begins.
    Here's what they predicted at the start of last season for the eventual NFC playoff teams:

Falcons: 3
    Saints: 18
    Eagles: 19
    Vikings: 20
    Panthers: 23
    Rams: 29

Just proves the utter pointlessness of these rankings. Why bother.

I mean isn't that part of the fun of football that it can be so unpredictable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I mean isn't that part of the fun of football that it can be so unpredictable

Exactly. They're a source of entertainment.

My claim to fame prediction was during 2012 draft when I predicted Cousins would eventually win the starters role off RG3. Of course injuries helped with this one!

Currently think my prediction from Chad Kelly's draft is on track, really believe he will come good, even went as a crazy to say he will go to a Superbowl.

For every correct one I get there are 100s which flop. Looking at you Leinart!

Hazys wrote: »
    I don't know if you guys are aware but Jay Cutler is on his wife's reality show and its hilarious how much he doesn't give a fcuk

There's a guy on the bears subreddit who edits every scene without Cutty out of the show to make a new show - Smokin' Jay. :pac:

Smokin' Jay S01E07

https://streamable.com/fafhu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Exactly. They're a source of entertainment.

My claim to fame prediction was during 2012 draft when I predicted Cousins would eventually win the starters role off RG3. Of course injuries helped with this one!

Currently think my prediction from Chad Kelly's draft is on track, really believe he will come good, even went as a crazy to say he will go to a Superbowl.

For every correct one I get there are 100s which flop. Looking at you Leinart!

Which SB? And when's be taking over from Keenum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

There's a guy on the bears subreddit who edits every scene without Cutty out of the show to make a new show - Smokin' Jay. :pac:

Smokin' Jay S01E07

https://streamable.com/fafhu

That's actually hilarious, he can just about must the energy to make a facial expression about half the time :pac:

Which SB? And when's be taking over from Keenum?

If Kelly shows any development over the coming season then the Broncos will have to cut Keenum and let him start next year. They need to find out if he is the Broncos QBOTF before he is out of his rookie contract.

He has potential - but is overhyped - he is essentially a rookie who has been out of the game for more than a year. To paraphrase someone else - there is a lot of rust to shake off - and then he has to learn how to be an NFL QB (if he ever gets that far).

I like Kelly - his uncle was my favourite ever QB - and he has the same swagger as Jim. One thing is sure - he won't be boring like the donkeys the Broncos have had for the past couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    That's actually hilarious, he can just about must the energy to make a facial expression about half the time :pac:

You have to wonder how that very pretty looking young lady puts up with him.

Millions of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Cutler is cool as ****. I wonder how he puts up with her!

I see that the Cowboys have offered a 2nd rounder for Earl Thomas - but Seattle want more.

Apparently the Cowboys could have got him in exchange for the no. 50 pick in the draft in April - but they only offered a 3rd rounder at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

She's probably used to having guys do all this OTT stuff to impress her, which would get pretty tiring and tiresome. Enter this man to swoop in and do the exact thing nobody before him dared even try with her: nothing. :D

38tdPCR.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement