Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I always thought he landed her after taking some tips from George Costanza.

costanza.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Several Steeler players are less than happy with Leveon Bell not turning up yet and are saying it publicly. It all seems very un steeler like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

yeah it looks over for him now. How can he go back into that locker room now given the mood of his teammates to him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He can't be traded though until he signs the tag and I don't think there'll be a strong market for him a this stage.

I think it is pretty poor form by his teammates though Bell definitely made a mistake in not setting expectations. He should have been clear he wasn't coming back for game one and I don't people could take up too much of an issue. I'm guessing seeing how Mack played things and how successful he was changed Bell's mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Why would bell want back into that locker room?? If I was someone like green bay or chargers I'd be checking to see if a trade was possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Totally on Bell's side for this one. He was fcuked by the Steelers last off-season as well and he's one serious injury away from his value dropping like a stone. He should have been traded if the Steelers didn't want to pay him what he wanted. It's a team game alright, but it's also their livelihood. Every single player should be making as much as possible in their prime, at the end of the day they've a short window.

On another note, the franchise tag is such a load of shít. It needs to be done away with at the next round of negotiations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Totally on Bell's side for this one. He was fcuked by the Steelers last off-season as well and he's one serious injury away from his value dropping like a stone. He should have been traded if the Steelers didn't want to pay him what he wanted. It's a team game alright, but it's also their livelihood. Every single player should be making as much as possible in their prime, at the end of the day they've a short window.

On another note, the franchise tag is such a load of shít. It needs to be done away with at the next round of negotiations.
    I agree. It's always a team sport but when a player plays injured(rg3) the team's don't ever seen to care about loyalty when it comes to the aftermath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Interesting story came out of Denver this week during interviews -

Coming up to the draft in 2001 the Broncos were still struggling to replace John Elway at QB - Shanahan pinned his hopes on Brian Griese.

In the weeks before the draft the Broncos were looking a defence with the No.24 pick in an attempt to shore up some gaps. Jack Elway was the Broncos director of pro-scouting. Elway took a shine to an offensive player and convinced Shanahan to plump for his pick. A week before the draft Jack Elway died - and in the days that followed Shanahan went back to plan A. The player Shanahan selected at 1.24 was CB Willie Middlebrooks - Middlebrooks was meh in the four seasons that he hung around the Broncos and was gone after another one with the 49ers. The player Jack Elway wanted (and had convinced Shanahan to take) was taken 8 picks after the Broncos with the first pick of the second round by the Chargers - his name - ????????.

I wonder if what happened to Shazier last season is still in the forefront of his mind? It can all end on one play. The fans saying he's stupid for not signing a $14.5m tender need to remember the tens of millions he'll lose should he picks up an injury in the next 16 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Oat23 wrote: »
    I wonder if what happened to Shazier last season is still in the forefront of his mind? It can all end on one play. The fans saying he's stupid for not signing a $14.5m tender need to remember the tens of millions he'll lose should he picks up an injury in the next 16 games.

What I think would help is if they guaranteed people's agreed salaries as they do in baseball, but had a stipulation that if the player gets injured and can't play/needs to be cut, it no longer counts against the cap. Don't jump on me for this one, I don't really understand the cap stuff well, but it seems like a lot of the problem for teams is the thought of dead money being paid to a guy who isn't on the field, while the problem for players is the fear that an injury can take away their livelihood forever in a moment. There is no good reason it has to be like that, none of the other major sports operate that way.

What I think would help is if they guaranteed people's agreed salaries as they do in baseball, but had a stipulation that if the player gets injured and can't play/needs to be cut, it no longer counts against the cap. Don't jump on me for this one, I don't really understand the cap stuff well, but it seems like a lot of the problem for teams is the thought of dead money being paid to a guy who isn't on the field, while the problem for players is the fear that an injury can take away their livelihood forever in a moment. There is no good reason it has to be like that, none of the other major sports operate that way.

Fair idea but there is a high risk teams and players would collude to put them on IR so they make cap space if they aren't performing to the cost of their contract.

Things like that are always abused, for example there is already a sizable number of questionable 'red-shirt' rookie seasons with players are put on season ending IR who would likely be able to return during the season but may not be in line to make the 53 in their first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Usually players back players when it comes to getting paid/contract issues, so you'd have to wonder what has gone on behind closed doors with Bell and his teammates.

I wonder if his O-line, some of whom have been especially critical, will be giving him the near $30,000 watches he bought each of them back? :rolleyes:

Paully D wrote: »
    Usually players back players when it comes to getting paid/contract issues, so you'd have to wonder what has gone on behind closed doors with Bell and his teammates.

I wonder if his O-line, some of whom have been especially critical, will be giving him the near $30,000 watches he bought each of them back? :rolleyes:

I'm guessing it is just them dealing with shock, which is partially Bell's fault for staying quiet (the only blame I put on him). Everyone presumed he was showing up on Monday and now the team is trying to come to terms that one of their key guys mightn't show and they're lashing out.

Over the past 2 seasons Bell has been the leading RB at yards after contact so it isn't as if his success has been down to the O-Line guys who are out there moaning about him now. If they were so confident 'a star is born every year' then the Steelers wouldn't be trying to tag Bell again and would go with the cheaper guy. They're in panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭conor222

Interesting story came out of Denver this week during interviews -

Coming up to the draft in 2001 the Broncos were still struggling to replace John Elway at QB - Shanahan pinned his hopes on Brian Griese.

In the weeks before the draft the Broncos were looking a defence with the No.24 pick in an attempt to shore up some gaps. Jack Elway was the Broncos director of pro-scouting. Elway took a shine to an offensive player and convinced Shanahan to plump for his pick. A week before the draft Jack Elway died - and in the days that followed Shanahan went back to plan A. The player Shanahan selected at 1.24 was CB Willie Middlebrooks - Middlebrooks was meh in the four seasons that he hung around the Broncos and was gone after another one with the 49ers. The player Jack Elway wanted (and had convinced Shanahan to take) was taken 8 picks after the Broncos with the first pick of the second round by the Chargers - his name - ????????.

Drew Brees

conor222 wrote: »
    Drew Brees

It is a pity (for Broncos fans) that Jack Elway died when he did - there wouldn't have been ten wasted years of Shanahan, McDisaster and then the rebuild.

Another story emerged from Denver this week about Paxton Lynch.

The Broncos had, apparently, decided to keep him on the roster. On the day the roster was announced Lynch was at practice in the Broncos indoor facility in Centennial. Running an end of game scenario on 4th down on the goal-line - with a passing play Lynch had a receiver covered by two defenders - instead of trying to force the ball in to the receiver, Lynch threw the ball away and hit the door of the facility. An hour later the Broncos had claimed Hogan of waivers and cut Lynch.

Word is that Lynch is trying out with the Bills - they must be badly stuck.

It is a pity (for Broncos fans) that Jack Elway died when he did - there wouldn't have been ten wasted years of Shanahan, McDisaster and then the rebuild.

At this stage I've become numb to those sort of hindsight stories about players that someone wanted to draft but they were overruled. The way I look at it is that if the team didn't go your way with it you didn't do a good enough job making the case. Obviously this situation is slightly different as the guy was dead by draft day but the point still stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foxtrol wrote:
    Over the past 2 seasons Bell has been the leading RB at yards after contact so it isn't as if his success has been down to the O-Line guys who are out there moaning about him now.

Are you joking here?

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    At this stage I've become numb to those sort of hindsight stories about players that someone wanted to draft but they were overruled. The way I look at it is that if the team didn't go your way with it you didn't do a good enough job making the case. Obviously this situation is slightly different as the guy was dead by draft day but the point still stands.

True - the draft is always full of what-ifs - it is very likely though that if Jack Elway didn't die a week before the draft then Shanahan would have drafted Drew Brees. Elway was a major influence on several Broncos drafts and the Elway drafts were significantly more productive that the ones that followed his death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

At this stage I've become numb to those sort of hindsight stories about players that someone wanted to draft but they were overruled.
    20 years ago, 4 before I started watching the league, and it stings me that the Packers were apparently very divided over who to take in 1998 and went with Vonnie Holliday, who proved to be a solid starter for quite a while. But the other guy that our HOF QB with one of the best deep balls ever wanted got taken with the very next pick, and he was...

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2014%2F0821%2Fnfl_g_moss1x_1296x729.jpg&w=920&h=518&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=origin

Funny enough we dodged a bullet as we narrowly missed out on trading for him in 2007 to the Patriots. Why lucky? Because the guy were considering sending the other way was a backup QB by the name of Aaron Rodgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Wow, Favre to moss would have been a sight to behold. That said, I could see him slinging it to him 20 times a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Wow, Favre to moss would have been a sight to behold. That said, I could see him slinging it to him 20 times a game.

He used to love making the Packers pay for not taking him too. It's hazy now but I remember him having a massive game in his rookie season on a Sunday or Monday night Vs green bay.
    Could have been the same game Antonio Freeman caught a TD pass with his back, though maybe that's was later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A ban has been issued to a forum member.

I would prefer not to have to ban people just at the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Oh I can't wait for redzone. I know football season has started but it doesn't truly feel like that to me until the first Sunday jam packed with games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

The best show on TV, ever. Something to get you in the mood......

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are you joking here?

Joking about what? He indeed topped yards after contact over the last 2 years, which points to his success not being dependent on what the OL made for him. Obviously any RB needs a functioning OL and the Steelers have a fine one (graded 12th last season). However I would propose that Bell's performances have elevated how the OL (and others on the team) are viewed as much if not more so than they've helped elevate Bell.

Joking about what? He indeed topped yards after contact over the last 2 years, which points to his success not being dependent on what the OL made for him. Obviously any RB needs a functioning OL and the Steelers have a fine one (graded 12th last season). However I would propose that Bell's performances have elevated how the OL (and others on the team) are viewed as much if not more so than they've helped elevate Bell.
    You do realise that yards after contact is affected by good blocking? You do know that OL block for runs as well as opening holes for runners? Ever see a runner getting contacted only for the tackler to get taken away by an offensive lineman?

You do realise that yards after contact is affected by good blocking? You do know that OL block for runs as well as opening holes for runners? Ever see a runner getting contacted only for the tackler to get taken away by an offensive lineman?

So you're giving more praise to the OL for yards after contact than the RB? Seems strange.

Yes, I'm fully aware the OL impacts yards after contact but not as much as the RB. If it was more on the OL then the Steelers wouldn't have tagged Bell again for so much money and just gone with any average RB because their OL is the bigger impact on yards after contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I think Bell has a very unique running style that wouldn't be as effective without great run blocking. He's (deliberately) very slow to find the hole - he almost walks to the line of scrimmage and then takes off. That's not a knock - he does it on purpose. But it needs linemen who can hold blocks and open up lanes for him.

It would be interesting to see how he gets on for a team with below average run blocking. Still a fantastic player though, I'm sure he'll be a success anywhere he goes.

In conclusion - they're all great, it's a shame they can't get along any more :)

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote:
    So you're giving more praise to the OL for yards after contact than the RB? Seems strange.

No, I never said that. I responded to you saying they should get no credit for yards after contact.

JaMarcus wrote: »
    I think Bell has a very unique running style that wouldn't be as effective without great run blocking. He's (deliberately) very slow to find the hole - he almost walks to the line of scrimmage and then takes off. That's not a knock - he does it on purpose. But it needs linemen who can hold blocks and open up lanes for him.

It would be interesting to see how he gets on for a team with below average run blocking. Still a fantastic player though, I'm sure he'll be a success anywhere he goes.

In conclusion - they're all great, it's a shame they can't get along any more :)
    He's my favourite RB I've seen ever over Faulk, Tomlinson, Fred Taylor, Holmes, Peterson and so on but there is probably some truth to this. A bit like Aaron Rodgers, he can wait around which makes his line look worse on paper (and made Bell look pretty woeful as a rookie) but when it comes off it looks like something that nobody else can actually do.

He's 26 but at RB this still might be his last big contract, so I can't hold it against him if he does go. Shame though, as him and Brown together automatically make the Steelers one of the best teams to watch in the league - and in the other conference than GB. :)

If he is looking for insane money I would never pay that to a RB - even Bell - but assuming someone will, the only teams with over 16mn cap space are the Titans, Seahawks and Texans (none of which I can see being willing to spend so much on him), the Jets and Browns (neither of which I see him having much interest in going to) and then the Colts and 49ers. He could do some serious damage with the Colts and Luck but they're just so wishy-washy of a franchise that I think the 49ers with Garoppolo and Shanahan calling the plays is easily the best fit for both sides.

The 49ers have $33.5mn cap space very little in terms of resignings for two years so can front load his deal and pay him big, he gives them an immediate shot in the arm to build on their crazy form on the second half of last year and gives their RB corps a huge boost with McKinnon in IR, Shanahan will surely get the absolute most out of him and he'll likely do more than maybe any RB in the league could from Shanahan's play calling/style, they actually can make deep playoff runs which I assume Bell would want, plus it gives the 49ers massive breathing room for drafting to focus on some of the areas they still have some big holes to fill from that disastrous offseason where everyone just upped and retired on them. All I can really see that should get in the way of that trade is the Steelers wanting too much in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm still baffled by the Steeler players not supporting him, tbh.

They should want the players to have more leverage in contract negotiations and to have better deals. This affects all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Knex. wrote: »

They should want the players to have more leverage in contract negotiations and to have better deals. This affects all of them.

There's a very good chance he's complete dick, so that has to play into it too. If he's unliked anyway then nobody will support him.

Possibly true, but it's very short sighted. The team won't be there for them when it comes down to it either, the players need to support one another, they all share the same fundamental interests.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's a very good chance he's complete dick, so that has to play into it too. If he's unliked anyway then nobody will support him.

Maybe they're fed up too:

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1037848619557249024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I don’t think it’s as much the money but that he said he would be back by last Wednesday and then didn’t show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

I don’t think it’s as much the money but that he said he would be back by last Wednesday and then didn’t show up.

I think, now I'm just guessing obviously, its more to do with why he hasn't come back. His agent came out in media saying it was due to the projected usage and that would affect his long term earnings. I don't think they liked that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well the Steelers were obviously going to run him through the mill. They have no intention of paying him next year so it is all about what he does this year.

If he picks up too many niggles to be useful next year, well that is probably better for them as they may have to defend against him.

I feel every player deserves a shot at the big contract. If they have the talent (and the value) they will get it. Otherwise they take what they can get.

If any of those linemen want to go for a big contract I would feel the same. Don't see them getting it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Pretty sure he never said he'd be back Wednesday, from reddit it seems that the steelers put that out there and he tweeted to say it wasn't true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Surprised how on point Irvin was during all of this.

No, I never said that. I responded to you saying they should get no credit for yards after contact.

And I never said that. Saying his success isn't down to the OL is not the same as saying they deserve no credit for yards after contact. Despite even clarifying my post you have decided to continue to argue something that I never said.

Surprised how on point Irvin was during all of this.
    Can't stand Irvin for more than 30 seconds 99% of the time but that was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1039219669335519235

I know it's a divisional game but the Vikings are the one opponent I wouldn't fancy putting a half-fit QB out against. Their pass rush is frightening.

Foxtrol wrote:
    Over the past 2 seasons Bell has been the leading RB at yards after contact so it isn't as if his success has been down to the O-Line guys who are out there moaning about him now. If they were so confident 'a star is born every year' then the Steelers wouldn't be trying to tag Bell again and would go with the cheaper guy. They're in panic.

Foxtrol wrote:
    And I never said that. Saying his success isn't down to the OL is not the same as saying they deserve no credit for yards after contact. Despite even clarifying my post you have decided to continue to argue something that I never said.

You said they don't deserve any credit for yards after contact.
    How are you claiming you didn't say that?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1039219669335519235

I know it's a divisional game but the Vikings are the one opponent I wouldn't fancy putting a half-fit QB out against. Their pass rush is frightening.

If I was a Packers fan one thing I would fancy less than a half fit Rodgers, would be a fully fit Kizer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If I was a Packers fan .

So many ways that sentence could have ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Advertisement

Kap charging $175 for a new 'I'm with Kap' jersey. Bit much..
    https://kaepernick7.com/collections/jersey/products/jersey

Advertisement