Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

eagle eye wrote: »
    No I've given my opinion looking at it from both sides separately.

Selling a house is a bad deal, because then you no longer own the property.
    Buying a house is a bad deal, because then you no longer have the money.

This is essentially what you've just done. It makes absolutely no sense to look at both sides separately.

You can basically flip your exact points and claim its a great deal for both parties:

This is a good deal for the Chiefs because it locks down their QB for a long period of time and potentially at good value.
    This is a good deal for Mahomes because it comes with a good structure of guarantees to offset any problems in the future.

I don't see why 'winning' the deal is so important anyway. He gets a horse load of money and they get a top QB - great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

And no ones considering the amount of money he's gonna make from endorsements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The best deals are deals where both sides believe they won. This falls into that category I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And no ones considering the amount of money he's gonna make from endorsements

Oh God.

That's a decade of State Farm ads ahead of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

When you look at punishments handed out by the NFL, deflategate and the brutal penalties for the Patriots even though science proved the balls would deflate during the game due to the weather. Then you have the Vikings heating balls, which imo is every bit as bad as deflating balls, with no argument to save themselves and the punishment? All teams are warned not to do it.

A crime that's so bad in your mind that you don't even know the simple matter of which team caused the offence. The Panthers heated some balls along the sideline in plain view during a sub zero game at the Vikings stadium in 2014. How that's in any way comparable to deflategate i don't know, but at least you know who was involved in the heinous act now

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    A crime that's so bad in your mind that you don't even know the simple matter of which team caused the offence. The Panthers heated some balls along the sideline in plain view during a sub zero game at the Vikings stadium in 2014. How that's in any way comparable to deflategate i don't know, but at least you know who was involved in the heinous act now

Imagine if the Pats, heaven forbid, didn't win six SBs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hulk Hands wrote:
    Well it happened on the Vikings sideline which means they were well aware of what was going on whether it was Vikings or Panthers doing it.

It's against the rules just like deflating balls.

The only difference is there was zero evidence that the Patriots did anything wrong, there was independent scientific evidence proving the balls were likely to deflate that much naturally due to the weather conditions and then the stark improvement in performance by the Patriots when the balls were pumped up.
    There was TV evidence of the balls being heated in the Vikings/Panthers game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Are we confident there will be football this year?

I see the Big 10 in college football has announced that they will only play in-conference football (and they've specifically highlighted that this is the case IF the season goes ahead). Actually, they've specifically said that they are prepared not to play at all if it's in the best interest of students, staff and fans. Several other conferences are expected to announce the same, but the consensus seems to be that this is the first domino to fall that will eventually lead to no college football. Several high level Athletic Directors (Georgia, Ohio State etc.) have said they are not confident that the season will go ahead.

I know the money in the NFL is a different beast, and money unfortunately talks loudly enough to dictate what may or may not happen, but let's not pretend that there are huge financial reprecussions to what is happening in college football also. I'm coming to the terms with the fact we may not have football at any level this year.

FWIW, their may not be high school football either. The Dallas Schools Superintendent says he's sure there won't be any in Texas. And if Texas cancels HS football, you know it's serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Are we confident there will be football this year?

I see the Big 10 in college football has announced that they will only play in-conference football (and they've specifically highlighted that this is the case IF the season goes ahead). Actually, they've specifically said that they are prepared not to play at all if it's in the best interest of students, staff and fans. Several other conferences are expected to announce the same, but the consensus seems to be that this is the first domino to fall that will eventually lead to no college football. Several high level Athletic Directors (Georgia, Ohio State etc.) have said they are not confident that the season will go ahead.

I know the money in the NFL is a different beast, and money unfortunately talks loudly enough to dictate what may or may not happen, but let's not pretend that there are huge financial reprecussions to what is happening in college football also. I'm coming to the terms with the fact we may not have football at any level this year.

FWIW, their may not be high school football either. The Dallas Schools Superintendent says he's sure there won't be any in Texas. And if Texas cancels HS football, you know it's serious.

I'm not expecting there to be a full season. The US is ****show, with a lot of the NFL states being particularly badly hit. Florida, Texas, NY. Be shocked there if there isn't massive disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What happens if a player tests positive, is the entire team out of action for 14 days? Especially if there is a cluster within one team. Do teams they have played in the previous 7 days also have to self-isolate for 14 days?

Also you can be sure plenty of players will not want to put themselves or their families at risk and will simply not show up.

I'm not expecting there to be a full season. The US is ****show, with a lot of the NFL states being particularly badly hit. Florida, Texas, NY. Be shocked there if there isn't massive disruption.
    I think they've been fully hit now. You'd expect a big drop off in the next two weeks and hopefully they'll have it under control by the end of August. I could be totally wrong on that, just basing it on what's happened everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think they've been fully hit now. You'd expect a big drop off in the next two weeks and hopefully they'll have it under control by the end of August. I could be totally wrong on that, just basing it on what's happened everywhere else.

That sounds like a Trump claim that it will 'miraculously disappear', I don't see any evidence to how that happens. The US isn't close to the herd immunity levels that would lead to a drop off and in most places state and local governments aren't putting in the restrictions to make that sort of drop off take place, that isn't even talking about the mess at the federal level that are now putting pressure to send kids back to school.

Throw on top of that idiots refusing to wear masks, NFL coming up with ridiculous rules (no jersey swaps) but then ignore the greater risks to player health, and team owners that are still pushing to try to squeeze out as much money (fans in stadiums and pre season games) while picking fights with players (wanting to hold salary in escrow) and you have a total mess.

The annoying thing is that the whole thing could have been avoided if there was competent leadership but this has failed at nearly every level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's still multiple weeks to the start of preseason.
    Plenty of time for the curve to pass.
    I bet we'll have a full football season this year

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's still multiple weeks to the start of preseason.
    Plenty of time for the curve to pass.
    I bet we'll have a full football season this year

Again, this is another very Trumpian comment.

No pointing to data trends, preventative actions being put in place, plans for likely events (like when a player gets COVID) - just stating that there is time for it to get better and unsubstantiated belief that things will be ok.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, looking at Florida, Texas and California the number of cases continues to rise.

Between them they have 8 NFL teams I think.

Then you have Georgia, Louisiana,Arizona, Nevada, none of them look great.

Things are better in NY/NJ/PA/MA but hard to see any sort of a normal season from this vantage point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

I don’t see the NFL going ahead behind closed doors like some other sports. Maybe there can be a reschedule of the season if it can’t be played as normal with fans in attendance. Weather would cause some headaches granted with it getting very hot in California and Florida early in the year but even for novelty reasons I’m sure it would still be a success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Deadmou5e wrote: »
    I don’t see the NFL going ahead behind closed doors like some other sports

Why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

Why not?

I just don’t see it. Just an opinion of a Kerry man with no information on it posting on a an Internet forum.

Us kinda people have been known to be wrong before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Deadmou5e wrote: »
    I just don’t see it. Just an opinion of a Kerry man with no information on it posting on a an Internet forum.

Us kinda people have been known to be wrong before.

Personally I don't think a season is likely at all now. But if it were to go ahead I don't see why they wouldn't do it behind closed doors like the premier league did. The NFL makes its money from tv rather than crowds, and they will be watching either way.

• Advertisement

Personally I don't think a season is likely at all now. But if it were to go ahead I don't see why they wouldn't do it behind closed doors like the premier league did. The NFL makes its money from tv rather than crowds, and they will be watching either way.

The fact that they are still contemplating having fans in the stadium in 2 months despite reaching new records on a nearly daily basis is a huge red flag of them not understanding the scale of the problem.

Today two players, Smith and Solder, came out questioning whether it'll be worth the risk to play. Unsurprisingly, they both big guys who are in the high risk group for complications if they caught it. Similarly, there'll be other players that'll have underlying medical issues that will increase their risk, before we even get to player's family and friends that may fall into those categories. Some fans will still complain about them if they decide it isn't worth the risk to play.

All the owners are billionaires, they love money. Called by FF the season won't happen until there is absolutely no other option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

A lot of players are looking at it very seriously at this stage. Cam Heyward stated in a recent interview that he may not play as he has relatively severe asthma. Von Miller has the same condition and also has had Covid, you’d imagine there will be lots of players in that boat, and many will be able to afford to take the year out.

That’ll raise interesting questions about salaries and bonuses that have already been paid etc but I suppose teams will deal with that when it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I think the season will be cancelled, due to the 35% pay cut and the fact that the players safety is at risk, its not nice to be treated like Guinea pigs, and they won't stand for it in the end, if the players stand together, the owners will be powerless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

If I was betting I'd still be betting on a season going ahead behind closed doors. Just because its in America, and money talks so much there. The NFL will really, really push for something to at least keep the broadcasting revenue.

I do wonder what the players will think/do, though. The more 'normal' sized ones will be fine given their health and age. But the 120KG/250LB+ linemen will actually be relatively high risk given their size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The only thing that might get us some season is if the NBA and MLB get going and it seems to be going okay. I realise the NBA is doing a bubble type deal but the NBA had nearly completed their regular season which is probably helping.

Let's hope the NFL do the right thing by players and not what seems to be an American obsession over companies "brands."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The NFL are hamstrung by the actions of US officials. From the President to some state Governors, it's been a mess over there. We'll probably see major roster/gameday impact at somepoint.

We haven’t the luxury of being able to shoot the virus with our freedom guns like the Americans have.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Record number of increases 3 Days in a row. This is getting worse before it’s getting better. The 2020 season will not go ahead. Just can’t with the current number of cases or even half that.

• Advertisement

Blut2 wrote: »
    If I was betting I'd still be betting on a season going ahead behind closed doors. Just because its in America, and money talks so much there. The NFL will really, really push for something to at least keep the broadcasting revenue.

I was of that mindset but that has shifted seeing as I've yet to hear how they will deal with a player testing positive after a game. Do both teams then end up self isolating? Do they then forfeit the game the following week?

It is doable for sports teams based in places where the number of cases are low but the US is on fire and in most parts there is no attempt to put it out.

The NFL are hamstrung by the actions of US officials. From the President to some state Governors, it's been a mess over there. We'll probably see major roster/gameday impact at somepoint.

NFL owners can blame themselves if the season doesn't go ahead.

They can put huge political pressure when they want to but they have chosen to sit in silence and let Trump and the GOP make a complete mess of dealing with the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Loughc wrote: »
    Record number of increases 3 Days in a row. This is getting worse before it’s getting better. The 2020 season will not go ahead. Just can’t with the current number of cases or even half that.
    Toronto v D.C. United was cancelled last night in the MLS (set to go ahead 24hrs later). 1 positive test and one inconclusive. And then you see FC Dallas withdraw altogether due to 10 players and one member of the technical staff testing positive.

And that's with smaller roster sizes for MLS teams. Once they start testing 90 man rosters at training camp, we might get a better picture of how things look.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Toronto v D.C. United was cancelled last night in the MLS (set to go ahead 24hrs later). 1 positive test and one inconclusive. And then you see FC Dallas withdraw altogether due to 10 players and one member of the technical staff testing positive.

And that's with smaller roster sizes for MLS teams. Once they start testing 90 man rosters at training camp, we might get a better picture of how things look.

Even during a normal NFL off-season the players can't behave themselves, so unless the players have self isolated the entire off season I can't see this going ahead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I see it going ahead in some format, NFL is too greedy.
    and id say a lot of the non superstar players want their money tbh.

NFL will tell players to self isolate with family, lots of testing but as said above you'll have more than a few that want a chick-fil-a and go out and break the nfl lockdown or whatever.

Cant see many fans if any at all being in stadiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The stadiums can pipe in crowd noise. If they need advice they can ask the Falcons who lost a draft pick in 2016 for doing just this ;)

• Advertisement

NFL is too greedy..
    This right here. They'll weigh up going ahead versus damage to their brand and if going ahead is a better money decision it'll happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is it possible to re-do the fixture list such that teams only play division games and 'local' games? Cuts out a huge percentage of the need for air-travel, overnights in multiple hotels etc.
    Obviously NFC East is still a problem geographically, and the West coast has big distances between the closest teams. But I'm sure something imaginative could be done as a once-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Is it possible to re-do the fixture list such that teams only play division games and 'local' games? Cuts out a huge percentage of the need for air-travel, overnights in multiple hotels etc.
    Obviously NFC East is still a problem geographically, and the West coast has big distances between the closest teams. But I'm sure something imaginative could be done as a once-off.

Dallas be the only issue there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Chris Jones re-signing for 4 more years

Get in :)

What a time to be alive

#chiefskingdom

Chris Jones re-signing for 4 more years

Get in :)

What a time to be alive

#chiefskingdom

Great re-signing.

Interested in seeing the structure. From the numbers we have so far $1m more than the contract Buckner, a close comp to him, got at the start of the offseason but $20m more guaranteed money.

Going to take some cap magic and praying for no serious injuries to keep things on the right track. Things could get very interesting for them if the cap drops next year (as it will for several teams).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Great re-signing.

Interested in seeing the structure. From the numbers we have so far $1m more than the contract Buckner, a close comp to him, got at the start of the offseason but $20m more guaranteed money.

Going to take some cap magic and praying for no serious injuries to keep things on the right track. Things could get very interesting for them if the cap drops next year (as it will for several teams).

Brett Veach has been impeccable as a GM so far so I have full trust in him. Obviously Tyreek and Kelce will have to be paid soon- hopefully we can somehow hold onto both

Hococop wrote: »
    Dallas be the only issue there

I think we all know that proposed solution will have everyone decamping to JerryWorld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Given the supply of quality of RBs out there, the Henry deal looks like another one team a team may live to regret.

Browns did a good job signing Garrett long term. Again, crazy numbers but I don't think we've even seen yet how good he'll end up being and it is a position that is generally relatively durable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Interesting heat map by the NFLPA. Shows what a challenge getting the season going will be, especially how the states of some of the most impacted teams have the loosest regulations.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1283771706960760833?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The mayor of Pittsburgh was on MSNBC two nights ago about the spike in coronavirus cases around them in Ohio and the presenter Brian Williams(who apparently is a steelers fan) asked the odds of their being football in Pittsburgh this coming season and he didn't say their wouldn't but didn't say yes either. To me it seemed he didn't want to be definitive one way or the other and we are in July.

Some of the stuff from officials in Louisiana, Florida, Georgia around this virus isn't helping about getting games back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I would say the chances of games with fans in the stadium are practically zero. Even if some cities are willing to risk it, you would need a consensus.

The Premier League model is the only way we'll have games this season. It shouldn't be too difficult to keep players and officials safe with regular testing. I'd have thought the TV money available would justify playing the games in empty grounds. Plus they could schedule games over the full week in order to show them all on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Redskins are outdoing themselves right now. All their minority shareholders have come together and hired the same company to find a buyer for their shares in the team according to Schefter.

Everyone used to joke "Bruce Allen must have some dirt on Snyder to keep his job this long" and it was probably true.

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I would say the chances of games with fans in the stadium are practically zero. Even if some cities are willing to risk it, you would need a consensus.

The Premier League model is the only way we'll have games this season. It shouldn't be too difficult to keep players and officials safe with regular testing. I'd have thought the TV money available would justify playing the games in empty grounds. Plus they could schedule games over the full week in order to show them all on tv.

For starts, some players testing positive could mean a death sentence for them due to underlying conditions. Even ignoring that, what happens if your QB room gets hit by it and they all test positive before a game. What happens if a player takes snaps at DT and DE tests positive after a game, does his whole team quarantine or just the DL room, what about the opposing OL, QB, RB, TE?

Even on a financial basis, right now the owners want COVID to be deemed as a non-football injury, meaning players wont have to be paid.

As more weeks go by it continues to seem like the NFL have their heads in the sand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement