Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Oat23 wrote: »
    The Redskins are outdoing themselves right now. All their minority shareholders have come together and hired the same company to find a buyer for their shares in the team according to Schefter.

Everyone used to joke "Bruce Allen must have some dirt on Snyder to keep his job this long" and it was probably true.

Washington Post are about to break an 'explosive' story (bombshell is another word been used to describe it) about the running of the team by Dan Snyder.

it's been rumoured to break for a couple of days now so they're obviously lawyering up and making sure they've every fact checked and double checked.

We already know about the pimping out of cheerleaders to corporate box holders so it's probably something worse than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Apparently it's proper pimping too. Sexual abuse allegations too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Washington Post are about to break an 'explosive' story (bombshell is another word been used to describe it) about the running of the team by Dan Snyder.

it's been rumoured to break for a couple of days now so they're obviously lawyering up and making sure they've every fact checked and double checked.

We already know about the pimping out of cheerleaders to corporate box holders so it's probably something worse than that.

I'm shocked that wasn't the end of him. It is amazing what acts some owners get away with and the league just moves on.

It is obvious now that the name change was trying to get some positive PR in advance of this story coming out. If it is anywhere near what is being speculated I don't see how he isn't forced out.

Apparently it's proper pimping too. Sexual abuse allegations too

Hopefully a Jerry Richardson type result after it all comes out.

Report up on Washington Post now. Sexual harassment over a long period of time. Mainly by the 3 who either resigned or got the sack earlier this week.

Obviously sexual harassment is bad but it's not the 'bombshell' we thought it would be and probably means Snyder isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

ESPN Sportcenter having a special show for the revealing of the Madden ratings. Seriously? Is that a thing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

ESPN Sportcenter having a special show for the revealing of the Madden ratings. Seriously? Is that a thing now?
    Not sure if it's been a thing before this season but can somewhat understand them doing it now since they have nothing really to show at the minute. Wouldn't watch it myself but it helps them fill up gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A lot of players are tweeting about not being happy about the safety measures proposed by the NFL to keep them and as many stress their families safe. It seems the NFL aren't listening to their own health experts. Now it looks coordinated in terms of timing but I wouldn't say the sentiment is coordinated because the only thing the exact same is the hashtag #wewanttoplay but that's it really. It's hardly shocking really given that training camps are meant to start soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Jets and Giants saying regardless of what the NFL do there will be no fans allowed at MetLife stadium for games and also no one allowed at the work outs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Jofspring wrote: »
    Jets and Giants saying regardless of what the NFL do there will be no fans allowed at MetLife stadium for games and also no one allowed at the work outs.

This is just common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Rarely fans in Metlife at the best of times!!

They had little choice for games. NJ Governor said their max attendance would be 500 people, which wouldn't be worth it economically or visually.

Problem is that unless NFL comes out with a consistent ruling, the red states stupidly loose guidance will mean fans in some of the worst hot spots and making things worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We're not in August yet, regular season isn't until September. Nobody knows what things will be like by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If only the top epidemiologists had ways of predicting what things will look like in the immediate future...

FWIW I don't see a full NFL season going ahead. Whatever about NBA and MLB starting/restarting, I don't 32 teams of about 100 rosters (in addition to all the other staff required to make a gameday work) safely getting started. Not unless they do something similar to NBA, of which I think there's about a 1 in a million chance of making that work for so many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

- Preseason has been cancelled
    - Rosters reduced from 90 to 80
    - Michael Bennett retires (good riddance)
    - Hard Knocks starts 11th August. Features both LA teams. Going to be strange with no preseason games.

• Advertisement

Jets look like they are becoming even more of a mess. Add the below article about Adams to claims of racist and sexist comments from the owner, that have apparently annoyed a lot of players.

https://twitter.com/Prez/status/1286661205868908546?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Jets look like they are becoming even more of a mess. Add the below article about Adams to claims of racist and sexist comments from the owner, that have apparently annoyed a lot of players.

https://twitter.com/Prez/status/1286661205868908546?s=20

No quotes and written by Mehta, I'll take it with plenty of salt. Adams is looking for a new deal with 2 full years still left to play (and another one under control after that potentially), and was promised that he would get a new deal. He's behaving like a child and doing his best to force his way out in every way possible.

hots wrote: »
    No quotes and written by Mehta, I'll take it with plenty of salt. Adams is looking for a new deal with 2 full years still left to play (and another one under control after that potentially), and was promised that he would get a new deal. He's behaving like a child and doing his best to force his way out in every way possible.

What quotes are you looking for, there are several from Adams and he retweeted the story?

Adams is seeing his peer group from the top of his draft getting extensions and it is pretty clear the team made promises to him about a contract. When a team is a mess they need to do all they can to keep star players happy, the Jets have clearly failed at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Foxtrol wrote: »
    What quotes are you looking for, there are several from Adams and he retweeted the story?

Adams is seeing his peer group from the top of his draft getting extensions and it is pretty clear the team made promises to him about a contract. When a team is a mess they need to do all they can to keep star players happy, the Jets have clearly failed at this.

Sorry quotes from the people he's slagging off to give them a chance at response, I'm well aware we've got lots of Jamal quotes :o

Agreed that we had to do everything we could to keep him, but he's behaving so poorly now he'll be missed far less than he would have. A great player but certainly not the leader and locker room presence he might think he is, going out and airing every possible bit of dirty laundry isn't exactly team captain material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

hots wrote: »

If I was playing with Gase as coach I would trying to force my way out too. Adams will go somewhere and make a massive difference to the team. The Jets will be dunked on by what is now looking a pretty strong division. He is playing some incredible football right now and it must be frustrating to have it feel pointless.

Honestly I can't see Adams being missed by the Jets. All he does is hurt their draft position if he helps them win a few games.

• Advertisement

Many teams will be sweating if this sort of cap drop comes in for 2021. Eagles, Saints, Falcons, Chiefs (along with several others) are currently far beyond that cap.

Obviously cuts and restructures could be made but there'll be a lot of pain.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1286724500076331008?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I wonder was there any thought at all in the CBA to "what happens if Revenue falls". Doubt there were many that could have seen that happening in the next 10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Funny how quick they are to lower the cap.

Hopefully it means strike. Doubt they can actually lower it.

Looks like the players are on board with it. It is somewhat of a win for them to spread the pain over a few years rather than all in 2021 (or even cutting 2020). Where things will get really bad is if 2021 season can't go ahead and the losses mount.

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/1286736810413105152?s=20

Funny how quick they are to lower the cap.

Not really, seeing as the players have gotten an annual basis cap increase for so long, in line with revenues.

They're actually deferring the lost revenue over a couple of years, unlike the cap increase that have come to players straight away.

I'm the first to give the owners crap but they're being relatively fair here. Obviously better if they'd eat the drop but the players rightfully get the benefits of revenue share so they also need to take the down side.

They can't strike nor can there be a lock out

Guffy wrote: »
    They can't strike nor can there be a lock out

Even though it’s irrelevant because they’ve agreed, surely if one side breaks an agreement then the other side can. To say they “can’t” strike is a bit odd.

Even though it’s irrelevant because they’ve agreed, surely if one side breaks an agreement then the other side can. To say they “can’t” strike is a bit odd.

Well it's part of the CBA that neither side can down tools. So yes i guess technically if one side were to withdraw from the cba they could do so. Don't know if that would technically be striking either though

Well seeing as the NFLPA have agreed to the NFL protocols the season seems like it's a lock to start at least. I know NFL gamepass is reacting to things in the NFL. They automatically go to week 1 on the regular season even though the pre season is still there and they have removed the old Washingtons teams logo from their games for the coming season leaving a blank white square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    leaving a blank white square.

Pfff, racists.

Pfff, racists.

RDS How's she cutting ? I'm not against them changing it but wait until they have something to replace it with. I cancelled the auto renew for gamepass but looks like I'll be getting it again.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    RDS How's she cutting ? I'm not against them changing it but wait until they have something to replace it with. I cancelled the auto renew for gamepass but looks like I'll be getting it again.

Oh I was just joking, like "a WHITE square, typical". I had sunday ticket here last season as part of a cable package but it's spectacularly expensive to get ordinarily. And more importantly I'm moving to Chicago so the local stations will have bears games every week anyway. I can live with that as I'm not much of a fan of redzone anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Oh I was just joking, like "a WHITE square, typical". I had sunday ticket here last season as part of a cable package but it's spectacularly expensive to get ordinarily. And more importantly I'm moving to Chicago so the local stations will have bears games every week anyway. I can live with that as I'm not much of a fan of redzone anyway

Yeah, but you'll have to watch the bears every week though.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, but you'll have to watch the bears every week though.

Well only bears fan would have voluntarily watched the tribisky era so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

First player to opt out of the season. Doubt he’ll be alone.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/53538715

First player to opt out of the season. Doubt he’ll be alone.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/53538715

Think he's a qualified doctor and is doing so to work on the front line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Jets had to trade him really. I know he was under control for several more seasons but this was going to drag on and on. Best get rid of him while his stock was high.

That’s a very decent return for him, albeit the picks are likely to be in the latter parts of the respective rounds. I’m not sure I’d have given that up to get him if I’m honest.

Its sad to see a talent like this go, but the way hes been acting since November it really doesnt surprise me. I wouldnt mind if he had went with Gase angle from the beginning (no one wants that man out as much as me) but every week he had a different story/blaming someone else!
    Be interesting to see what they get for him, it'll be also interesting to see if he gets his payday before the season starts which was the main reason he wanted out.
    Again, sad to see an all pro talent leave, but I dont think his move will make a huge difference in the Jets wins/loses column

Holy sh1t, I'll take that! Getting it for a player that has not been shy about wanting out adds to it a little bit as well

Dont know about them necessarily being late round pick though, theres a lot of competition in the NFC

On the flip side this is exactly what Gase done in Miami and we all seen how that ended! the sooner him and the JOhnsons get the fcuk outta town the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

phatkev wrote: »
    Dont know about them necessarily being late round pick though, theres a lot of competition in the NFC

Would not expect any of those picks to be in the top half of the round but yeah, they are in a tough Conference and Division without a doubt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

F**k sake, the rest of the NFC west keeps trading for these superstars, Adams, Hopkins, Ramsey.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    F**k sake, the rest of the NFC west keeps trading for these superstars, Adams, Hopkins, Ramsey.

Adams is a great player and I'd much prefer if he hadn't arrived to the NFCW but that cost is crazy for a safety, especially when he wants to be the top paid player ever in that position, while the cap is likely to be shrinking. The best argument I've seen is that draft picks aren't guaranteed (especially with the weird year ahead) and the Seahawks have been very poor at picking in the 1st round recently, which I see more as being an indictment on the front office than a reason to pay out so much. I think this hurts the Seahawks beyond the short term more than it'll help.

I'm happily taking the deal we got for Trent Williams (3rd & 5th) over that deal for Adams.

MLB are giving a taste of the problems the NFL will face trying to run the league this year. Despite having multiple players test positive the Marlins still played a game last night and now their opponents don't know what to do regarding their next game against another team tonight.

NFL obviously doesnt have as frequent game but NFL players are in closer contact than MLB.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1287736207120781316?s=20

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1287741540413181956?s=20

Tonight's Marlins/Orioles game is now off, as is the Phillies/Yankees because the Phillies would have been in proximity of the Marlins over the weekend.

And this is only the 1st weekend of games.

Yeah this was inevitable. America decided that they wanted to open the economy rather than contain the virus, not facing the obvious fact that an uncontained virus will shut down the economy for much longer by itself. Shortsightedness and greed dictating policy, I know I'm as shocked as you are. As Hunter Thompson said, "football season is over".

I'm interested in seeing whether the NBA make it through thanks to their 'bubble'. Seems like the most logical way to get through a season.

Obviously that approach is much more difficult with the size of the NFL squads and coaches etc. I think it is shortsightedness from the owners and players that they didn't go further down that route, at least rule it out logistically or bring it to a vote so one/both sides are forced to say they were against it.

The most ridiculous part is that many NFL teams are still working out ways to have fans in their stadiums for games. They seem completely blind to the scale of the problem and think that if you ignore it things will end up fine, which unsurprisingly aligns very closely with the broader US approach to the virus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement