Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perseids meteor shower 2018

Options
  • 20-07-2018 4:46pm

Hey guys, any hope of viewing this from anywhere in Dublin?

I don't have a car unfortunately...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

I started watching it from the top of Killiney Hill last year, but it was pretty good so I took myself down to Brittas Bay where it was spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I used to watch the meteors from the centre of Liverpool and Dublin is a similar location

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

Also looking for recommendations on where to catch this, can travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

magnavox wrote: »
    Also looking for recommendations on where to catch this, can travel.

Roughly what part of the country. Don't want to send you a recommendation which might be impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Noob question. I was camping over the weekend in Wicklow and caught glimpses of some "shooting stars" - would these have been part of the Perseids ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

GBX wrote: »
    Noob question. I was camping over the weekend in Wicklow and caught glimpses of some "shooting stars" - would these have been part of the Perseids ?
    More than likely - you need to know where the constellation Perseus is and trace the meteors back to that location in order to be sure. I saw three Perseids last night in a few minutes so the shower looks to be ramping up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I went to Glendalough last year which was brilliant (even with the moon) it's one of the best low light pollution places near Dublin and this year there are no such moon worries.

The weather looks very bad for Saturday night viewing, Sunday into Monday (the peak) looks like we'll have some good clearing as the night goes on and Monday night doesn't look too great (Monday night is a bit far out atm)

DjtEIH_XoAUbtap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Roughly what part of the country. Don't want to send you a recommendation which might be impractical.

Apologies:D Dublin so would be traveling out from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

dacogawa wrote: »
    I went to Glendalough last year which was brilliant (even with the moon) it's one of the best low light pollution places near Dublin and this year there are no such moon worries.

If that was your own photo from Glendalough, that was amazing! However, it's in the heart of the mountains which is just about the worst place to go if the weather is marginal, as the mountains make their own clouds. There's a few detailed light pollution maps on the web from which is possible to pick dark sites which are not mountainous. One of my own favourites is the dark triangle between the lights of Wexford town, Gorey and Enniscorthy. It's in the sunny south east, well south of the mountains, and surprisingly dark away from town lights. That one happens to be handy for me sometimes, but I'm sure there are loads of others. For meteor showers I sometimes pick two sites, one nearby to check if things are any good and another further afield for better viewing. In Ireland, of course, you often don't have to go further than the front door to know it's a washout. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

ps200306 wrote: »
    If that was your own photo from Glendalough, that was amazing! However, it's in the heart of the mountains which is just about the worst place to go if the weather is marginal, as the mountains make their own clouds. There's a few detailed light pollution maps on the web from which is possible to pick dark sites which are not mountainous. One of my own favourites is the dark triangle between the lights of Wexford town, Gorey and Enniscorthy. It's in the sunny south east, well south of the mountains, and surprisingly dark away from town lights. That one happens to be handy for me sometimes, but I'm sure there are loads of others. For meteor showers I sometimes pick two sites, one nearby to check if things are any good and another further afield for better viewing. In Ireland, of course, you often don't have to go further than the front door to know it's a washout. :pac:

Thanks ps200306, yes it is one of mine. Agreed the mountains are not where to be when it is marginal like tonight, but the perfect place to be last year!

All the charts seem to be giving up on 95% of the country, I do think there will be some breaking later on tonight but who knows where, arpege is giving a bit of hope in places but the HIRLAM is having none of it, I'n not even sure what the GFS is at. I've copied below so we can tell tomorrow who was right (my guess, none of them)

Also I've added a link to the light pollution map I use and have always found it very good.

Happy hunting everyone!

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=6&lat=7049851&lon=-701447&layers=B0TFFFFFFFF

arpegeuk-24-10-0.png?12-18

hirlamuk-24-11-0.png?12-17

gfs-7-12.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Nice & clear West of Galway but very slow. 1 per 3 or 4 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very Clear sky in Leitrim. One every three or four minutes. Sometimes two together.
    Most travelling in a South West direction.
    Stunning night with a couple of long trails.

As an aside. Good grief there's some amount of satellites up there.

Good luck to anyone viewing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Total cloud cover - mid Limerick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Might head to the Poulnabrone Dolmen, 15 minutes via the green roads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

North Leitrim here, clear skies, great show!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Fabulous in Cork also.Lovely to watch and mainly clear skies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Colser wrote: »
    Fabulous in Cork also.Lovely to watch and mainly clear skies here.

Nice in the Midlands for the last hour. One every 3 mins I'd say.

Advertisement