Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best family car - need advice ASAP

• 20-07-2018 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all, Had an accident yest and my car is a right off. Need to look into best family cars, family of 5. Dont mind travelling to UK or NI. Budget around 10-15K
    • What would people recommend for a family of 5?
    • What are the advantages of buying in UK and NI?
    • What the best sites to look for cars in UK and NI?
    • What would be the best economical car?
    Thank you ....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What did you have before?
    Was it good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You thinking suv type such as Picasso, scenic etc or estate such as mondeos or superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭eeinke

We had Touran. open minded with SUV or estate

How was the Touran size wise? Did you use the 2 rearmost seats much, and are there booster/child seats involved?

It was a 7 seater and we did use the 7 seats when kids friends were with us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The eclass estate is a 7 seater and you'd fit a family of 5 in the boot, extra seats could be handy if taking friends, cousins etc somewhere.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e-class-2012-e220-cdi-be-sport-auto/18752191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I would continue with a mpv if you are used to one with more than 2 kids.

Ford S-Max is very popular and reliable if you are ok with relatively longer car than Touran
    Current Citroen grand picasso is also a good option. Avoid auto gearboxes for pre-16 models though.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Hyundai I40 estate. Great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

We are also a family of 5 and I recently bought a skoda octavia, huge boot and a lovely car to drive. better value than the superb and great space inside. We have a high back booster in the back the other 2 are older now and only on Sundays the 5 of us are in the car at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Plus one for the Octavia or superb i know i sound like a broken record but they just do everything quite good

• Advertisement

brilliant thank you for advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Comfort wise an mpv would be good but for overall an octavia with its gargantuan boot. Weigh up what's important.

Yeah, the big advantage MPVs have are individual seats (without big bolsters night n the edges that make you sit closer to the middle) and a high roof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, the big advantage MPVs have are individual seats (without big bolsters night n the edges that make you sit closer to the middle) and a high roof

As someone who moved from a Mazda 6 to a Ford Galaxy I can absolutely agree with the above.

We have 3 car seats across the back because of the individual seats and two of them use the actual seat belts no problem getting hands in between them to plug them in.

The boot is absolutely enourmous with the two boot seats down and still reasonable when they’re up. It’s so big in fact when we bought my five year old a new bike recently I just wheeled it into the boot! I also wheel a full size pram in without having to detach anything!

And because they’re full proper size seats you can fit two full size grown ups in them which is mental imo.

To be honest the sheer vast space has won me over in the past few months. I didn’t want to change from my 6 but happy I went the big MPV bus.

Some say the likes of a Ford S Max or the Citroen Grand Picasso are grand but seriously the extra space is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We bought a 2L 150bhp Kuga recently, very spacious family car.

Thank you all, loads of options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

eeinke wrote: »
    Thank you all, loads of options

Just bought an Octavia myself, but only have 2 kids at home these days. When all 3 were around, we had an S-Max. Miss the rear individual reclining seats even with only 2 back there.

Advertisement